B2 — 38. Building Bridges
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV:

1. Elinor (Our Evolved Undead Warlord!)

 

I want to thank my patrons for continuing to support me:

Raisgollous, Axel, Michael Maor, Sayeth_Wu, Vincebourgh, Adrian, Ronnie Woodard, Ya Anon, Demoet, Pierrick Caillon, Sebsebs, JudahDragon, Kyle St Clair, Dya Jannes, Zertreix ~Jannes, and my other over 210 Patrons!


Resting against the side of her stagecoach, gazing out of the window, Elinor passively scanned the wet streets as they moved through the Noble District to the lower levels.  The streets were packed, and the upbeat tone of the groups of citizens moving throughout the rarely accessible Noble District was a buzz.

Her heart was a gentle summer breeze after the chaotic Selection Ceremony, and it amused her to see every excited face who tried to catch a glimpse of her through the window.  More than one hundred thousand people packed the streets, seeking to buy goods that they could rarely get in the lower districts or that were far more expensive.

The really impressive feat was how all of them kept the road totally clear, moving in neatly organized lines with Magic Knights and City Guards directing traffic.  It didn’t take long at all for them to leave the bustling zone and enter the less busy main street leading to the other districts.

Castria and Lilya would be very occupied with the start of the school year and the baggage the former queen would need to deal with after her resurrection.  All in all, Elinor could leave them to their own devices for now.

Tiffany sat across from her, busy scribbling notes upon her parchment; she was not a fan of writing without modern utensils; she could hardly get a few words out before having to dip the feather back into the ink to keep consistency.  She’d be working on it for the rest of the week to tighten the contract down to a T.

On the other hand, her father was having the time of his life, finding a sort of friendship with the king and a few other nobles, who were eating up his engineering skills.  It was the first time since being forced off Earth that she felt he was somewhat happy.

Her gaze drifted to her Witch Queen, tense thoughts plucking at her brain.  Deep down, she wanted to bargain a deal with Autumn to return her mother, if anything than to bring light back into her father’s stressful life, constantly worrying about her.  Then again, she knew her mother would slap her across the face if she did return and found out she’d put herself at serious risk for a short-term reward like that.

Yes, her mother would want to be with them again, yet that didn’t trump her own safety, and they had time to find another solution.  Still, it was a cruel and calculated move on the hag’s part that made her undead heart quake a little; the creature was not to be underestimated.

It was hard not to ponder on the revelation, but as she searched the shops and faces of people along their path, Elinor found something to occupy her energy.  A pair of large ears in the crowd caught her eye; Grace wasn’t in the Noble District anymore, but shopping here in the lower.

What will Nungal want from me for the information?  She’s a goddess, so… what could she want?  Soul sacrifices?  Incense?  Something I care deeply for?  I suppose I’ll learn more about her and why she feels so familiar as time goes on…  I hate not knowing how I need to deal with someone, though.

Turning inward to distract herself, Elinor went over her new Feats from the Warlord Evolution.  There were quite a few new things that she could unlock once completing certain war-based achievements, yet what those rewards were was a total mystery since they were hidden, which was frustrating since it meant she didn’t know which one she should focus on.

Fortunately, Black managed to sidetrack her from the annoyances colliding against her psyche.  “Empress, we are near one of the locations where my contact will meet us.  I suggest we go on foot, not to draw attention, using the back alleys.  Perhaps we could use the roofs to stop any potential tails?”

A low growl came from Tiffany, the woman’s orange eyes flicking up to meet her.  “Haaa.  I suppose I will need to return to the inn and keep plugging away at this contract, Empress.  Will you be alright with only Black as company?  I’m sure Edmon would be uncomfortable without someone from the Royal Court with you.”

He’s occupied right now, Elinor responded, stepping outside as the thin, raven-haired Horsewoman opened the door for her to exit.  It probably won’t be long before I join you again.  We shall see, and it isn’t as if you won’t be able to respond if I remain inside the city.

Tiffany forced a smile before she went out of sight.  “That is a major ‘if’ in that sentence, Empress.  I will have some of my ravens keeping an eye on you with a few countermeasures that I can trigger for your escape if needed.”

Have fun, and order something nice to eat; you deserve it.

“Yes, Empress!”  the Witch chimed, suddenly thrilled to sample more of the world’s cuisine.  “I’ll sample everything so I can recommend the best dishes for High Queen Butter and you to enjoy together when you return with her.”

A small smile twitched at the corner of Elinor’s lips as the City Guard blocked off the sidewalk on either side of the Lower District street they’d stopped at.  Flera brushed back her brown bangs behind an ear before approaching her.

“Orders, Empress?”

Letting Tiffany continue on to her destination, Elinor motioned for the 38-year-old new recruit to the House of Ravens.  “Just you, Captain.  Have your guards block off the alley and go about their normal routine in ten minutes.  Don’t bother with those already inside…  I’m sure they won’t follow.”

[Bloodlust Aura: Activated]

Flera’s gaze darted to her for a second as the threatening radiance expelled out of Elinor, her irises flashing red on their journey into the passageway; the homeless inside the alley huddled tightly against the walls, looking at her as if she were a lion ready to pounce, too terrified to draw any attention to themselves.

“Understood.”

The knight took up a position on her right side, Black on her left as they swiftly moved into the dirty alleyway, and Elinor didn’t so much as glance at the people who scrambled to the sides of the wall.

“I hope I haven’t interrupted anything important by taking you away from your big day of getting into the academy.”

“Not at all, Empress,” the dark-eyed woman said, on guard more from her intimidating aura rather than any potential threats nearby.  “All packing and orientation meetings will happen tomorrow.  Am I right to assume that anything I witness while accompanying you this night should be forgotten?”

“I knew you were smart, Flera,” Elinor chortled, turning down another branch as Black guided them to the criminal who knew the way into the female-catered brothel.  “I shouldn’t be long.  Apparently, this is invite-only, and I have been extended an invitation.”

Her ruby irises lifted to the narrow sky, where ravens followed their progress, keeping a bird’s eye view for threats or tails.  She had certainly expanded her influence and organization quite a bit using Roman’s Legend Quest.  Perhaps he was quite valuable to keep around since an entire world of new resources was at her fingertips.

Black stopped her in front of a hallway that led into a dark basement area, where the bright lamps that always burned had been turned off.  Tucked into the shadows was a suspicious man, dressed in a dark cloak.

Elinor didn’t hesitate, lifting her hand and activating [Raise Undead] to use the ghostly crimson flames as a light source for Flera instead of what it was intended for, and a maroon butterfly formed out of the dancing fire. The second she deactivated [Bloodlust Aura], the shades returned to their emerald green.

“So, you are my guide into the depths of the labyrinth?”  She held up a hand as he hesitantly moved closer, mouth opening to speak underneath his cowl, cautious head turning to the City Guard captain.  “No need for introductions, and you needn’t worry about legality while with me.  Lead the way.”

“O-Of course, Raven Empress.  It’s an honor to serve Your Imperial Highness.  Umm.  We just need to wait…”  He trailed off, pulling back his sleeve to show a far more fancy-looking watch than she would have expected for this era.  “Roughly seven more minutes until the way is open.”

“Then we wait seven more minutes,” Elinor stated, green light trickling down to nothing as she released the Feat, allowing her glowing butterfly to snatch the captain and criminal’s gaze.

In the ensuing and uncomfortable silence—at least for their guide—Elinor sought her new Alchemist’s expertise.  Lilya, do you have time for my questions?

“Always, Empress.  The paperwork and questioning process of the applicants isn’t all that challenging.  I hand them out the papers and wait for the answers to then review and file within the Academy Archive for the scheduling department to then craft for the students.”

Wonderful.  How well are you acquainted with the undercity?  I hear it moves.

The mature woman’s low voice tickled her mind as she chuckled, radiating interest in the topic.  “The Grand Duke was quite fascinated with this city’s architecture, which is actually something he and your father have been quite fixated on over the last hour.  I only know that there is a pattern that Logan has discovered and cracked, yet actually exploring the undercity is quite hazardous since only a few surface areas remain constant, and places can be blocked for centuries if you get into the wrong section of the labyrinth.”

That… is fascinating, Elinor whispered, figuring that the Grand Duke had been mapping this out for much of his life and that it was a life project.  Try to gear someone in that direction to further Logan’s research and that he’d accept as a pupil in the subject.  I’d like to take a shotgun approach; we can’t have too many projects going.

“I’ll look for any candidates that show promise and interest.  Is this… for the brothel?”

Elinor’s chest shook with quiet laughter, the sound making their guide shift away a little.  Has it been that active for over two decades without much notice?

“Well… amongst certain… noblewomen circles, it is quite popular and hushed.  It was not my interest, but naturally, the Grand Duke knows of its existence, and he sees it as harmless.”

Lips curling, Elinor leaned against the wall.  You don’t agree?

“Not necessarily,” Lilya sighed.  “It is just something the women are lacking in their typical lives that they cannot find a solution for any other way, which is essentially a bandaid for a larger underlying issue.  It is merely my Alchemist personality that requires perfection and a solution, I suppose.  I hope it will be illuminating, and I have no idea how it has evolved over the last twenty years.”

We shall see…

Waiting the remaining minutes, her enthusiasm grew as blue lines wove through the wall in a pattern, and the bricks folded into one another, revealing a corridor wide enough for five men to walk side-by-side.

“Right this way,” their guide ushered, taking the lead.

Elinor followed with her guard, spotting the captain’s alert gaze sweeping the area; she would know what this was, and she would also know its dangers.

None of them spoke as they walked, and the gentle trickle of water echoed through the totally dry halls; it didn’t matter where they were, the sound was even and clear, without the sight of the falling droplets.

The continual rumble of thunder echoed from a distance, making Elinor’s skin prickle; it certainly was what she’d expect from a capital city themed around storms, and it made her wonder if it was powered by a continual storm, buried deep beneath its foundation in some ancient enchanted construct.

Her eyes followed the pulses of blue light that zipped along the walls in seemingly random patterns; their guide’s focus was entirely fixated on these, yet red, green, purple, and yellow streaks also raced along the hallways.

Shockingly, it didn’t take all that long for them to find their destination, where a group of four big guards stood ready to turn anyone lucky enough to reach the place away.  All of them wore masks and cloaks to hide their identity.

When they approached, their guide made a few wild hand gestures in some sort of code, yet they didn’t step aside.  He made them again, no doubt starting to sweat as he glanced back at her, fear on his face, yet a feminine laugh from behind the men brought voice to the awkward silence.

“It’s okay, boys, I’ve been expecting our honored guest…  The Raven Empress herself.”

The men parted to show a rather plump elderly woman for this time era, and she was adorned with all sorts of extravagant jewelry.  Her revealing outfit for her size would probably be something many would vomit or feel queasy about on Earth, but this woman had all the confidence in the world.

Elinor could instantly tell that she wasn’t a Tempest since they rarely walked on the ground; this woman would absolutely flaunt her powers if able.  She was someone who found and exploited something the rich and powerful wanted.

“Greetings!  Right this way, Your Imperial Majesty, and Captain Flera, what an unexpected surprise,” the woman cooed.  “I hope you are not here to arrest me!  We serve quite a few powerful guests, after all.  Oh, where are my manners?!  Empress, my name is Madam Nevera, and I heard you were interested in learning about my establishment!”

Striding forward, she caught Flera’s frown while accompanying her.  Meanwhile, Black was looking beyond them to an assortment of closed doors and the hallway that led into a giant, open space.

They were brought inside the three-level space that looked to be a rest stop, complete with four hearths, rugs, couches, and an assortment of goods stacked in corners.  Although, the most eye-catching thing was the masked men and women engaged in various tasks throughout the room.

Elinor’s focus darted to one blindfolded woman who was unmistakable by her hair color, drawing an entertained smile on her lips while watching the sweaty, panting, and modestly dressed noblewoman struggle to move sacks of potatoes to a table, where another masked noblewoman in a bird’s mask tried to peel potatoes with a knife, unfamiliar fingers fumbling with the blade.

An angry raven-haired woman shouted at the green-haired, middle-aged noblewoman as she stumbled around under the heavy load of potatoes.  “Where do you think you’re going, Moss Head?  I told you to go to the right; do you not know which hand is which?  Maybe I should slap it again to remind you!”

“N-No, Lady—Lady Isame—I’m sorry, I’m just… dizzy.  Please forgive me!”

“Stop!  Stop!  No, don’t put the sack down—keep holding it.”

“For how long?!”  she whimpered, thin arms and legs shaking.  “I-I feel so hot right now—I could faint, Lady Isame…”

“Did I say you could talk, Moss Mop?  No!  Just stand there until I tell you to move again.  I’m going to see what Big Nose is doing, so don’t utter a peep until I whisper in your ear.”

The green-haired noblewoman tucked her trembling bottom lip under, hot breaths and flushed face worsening under the pressure of not knowing when she’d be able to move or speak again.

BDSM?  Light-weight BDSM?  Elinor chuckled to herself.  These noblewomen with power and influence beyond compare… want to feel weak and insecure, ordered around like the servants.  What a business.

“As you can see…”

“Silence.”

Elinor held up her hand, making Nevera bite her tongue as Black casually walked over to a table and started stuffing her face.  The other noblewoman froze, most of the employees doing the same as all eyes centered on her.

“Big Nose, are you done peeling—”

“Shut up, fool!”  The woman peeling potatoes lifted her hand, creating a rush of wind that carried the stunned employee to a couch, toppling over it in a mess.  “Why is she here?”  the woman whispered, shivering and shuffling to one of her other noble friends.

It didn’t take long for the entire place to become as still as the Dead Sea, yet her target, and likely the highest-ranking person in this room beside herself, remained totally ignorant to the situation, blindfolded and struggling with her potato sack.

Elinor held her hands behind her back while approaching the quaking jade-haired noble, thighs quaking beneath her thick, servant-girl dress and sweat stains under her armpits.  She slowly circled her like a shark, a small smile brightening her eyes as she unhooked her fingers to carefully reach up and slide the blindfold up.

Messy bangs pushed out of the way, Elinor greeted High Lady Trisha Proltis’s big, sapphire eyes, fevered with the effort she was putting in.

“And what might Lady Aura’s mother, and the next Head of the Great Proltis House be doing in a place like this?”

Trisha’s potatoes slipped from her fingers and struck their feet, making the woman in her early 40s stifle a cry.  “Mmm!  I’m… sorry, Empress,” she choked, flinching before hurriedly reaching down to pull the sack back.  “I’m, umm…”

The woman’s frantic face turned sheet white upon spotting the soldier that had accompanied her, eyes rolling back as shame and guilt jabbed her from every angle.  “Captain Flera, this isn’t—I wasn’t expecting…”

Elinor didn’t so much as twitch from the sack that struck her toes, exposed since she was wearing heels, and as Trisha went down, Elinor caught the mother from hitting the stone floor.

“Madam Nevera, provide the High Lady and me a room to chat.”

“Absolutely!”  the brothel owner giggled, seeing opportunities.  “Would you like me to cancel the evening’s events?  Most of the noble ladies come here to unwind and release stress…  I have been shockingly busy since your arrival, Your Imperial Majesty.  Oh, should I get one of the men to help you with her?”

“No need.  Captain…”

Flera appeared unnerved by the unnatural scene of peasants ordering around nobles; it was probably a huge culture shock for the guard who maintained that cultural norm.

“Right… away, Empress.”

“The rest of you…”  Elinor prompted after Trisha was taken out of her arms, gaze sweeping the apprehensive noblewomen who thought their entire lives and reputation might be over.  “Hmm-hmm-hmm.  I am not here to judge your… tastes and needs.  I encourage you to continue your business as usual.  I will not interrupt your… pleasure and games.”

Relief came from the women, only for the tension to rise again as she paused.  “…Only, I would hope that my good-will shall be rewarded when your former queen invites you to discuss plans for my House.  I would hate for a rift to be drawn between us…  Enjoy yourselves.”

Turning, she saw Nevera’s sparkling eyes, ready to provide whatever Elinor might ask of the businesswoman.  This was the kind of dirt that could shake up the noble community, and cause a lot of tension between wives and husbands, after all, yet these women couldn’t help what they craved, despite the tarnish it might bring to their names.  In fact, perhaps that risk made it all the more exciting.

She entered one of the first-floor rooms, Nevera ushering out the trained employee and the maid noblewoman who was roleplaying a rather scandalous scene.  The lower noble looked to be in her late twenties and absolutely mortified once they stormed through the door.

“R-Raven Empress, wha—”

Elinor smoothly cut her off, picking up her shoes to hand to the bewildered blonde.  “Continue your fun in one of the other rooms.  Please, don’t curb your intentions on my account,” she snickered.

“Y-Yes, Empress!”

Dropping into one of the armchairs and absently wondering what had been done on this particular piece of furniture over the years, Elinor watched the pair rush out.  Flera carefully laid Trisha inside the chair before lightly slapping her cheeks and making the frizzy-haired woman jerk awake.

“H-Huh?!”

“Apologies, High Lady Proltis.  Can I fetch you some water?”

“Yes, uh, yes, of course,” she mumbled, goosebumps running down her arms as she fixated on Elinor, sitting across from her.  “Thank you, Captain.”

Nevera hovered nearby, waiting for an opportunity to expand her influence.  “Pardon me, Empress, but is there anything I can do to be of service to you?  I can provide you with any fantasy you desire!”

Elinor’s half-smile turned to the woman, her illuminated jade eyes making the owner sweat a little.  “That is quite the declaration, Madam Nevera, and quite presumptuous of you to believe I might require anything you might provide… but I suppose you have given me something of worth,” she cryptically said, focus drifting back to the shaking 40-year-old mother across from her.  “I will get back to you.”

Knowing that was her signal to leave, Nevera seemed to realize she was not to be handled like her typical noblewoman of this kingdom.  “Naturally, Empress!  I look forward to anything else I might be able to provide you.”

Flera returned with water that the emerald-haired woman instantly gulped down before the captain took up a guard position outside the door, leaving them alone and in silence.  Black would be gorging herself on the host of food the noblewomen had made by hand.

The atmosphere only grew more tense as Elinor stared at Trisha, her facade gradually breaking down, but Elinor let her stew in her internalized judgment until finally she spoke.

“What… do you want from me, Empress?  Is this some kind of attack against my mother… or for how my daughter acted toward your princess?”

“I think you’ve gotten the wrong idea,” she laughed, taking a more casual pose and gesturing to the door.  Flera opened it, allowing Black and a few of the staff to bring in a small table, lining it with refreshments and food; she’d waited to give the order until the right moment.  “There is a comb, mirror, and washing bowl to cool your face if you so desire.”

Trisha’s distrusting eyes shifted from the items to the people who swiftly exited without comment, leaving them alone again.  “Are you not… at odds with my mother?  It isn’t hard to conclude that you will use this as blackmail over me.  I would rather commit suicide than betray my family if that is what you intend for me to do.”

Elinor sighed, and chuckled at her fearful determination, despite her quakes, feeling as if her life was over.  “Let us not be dramatic, Trisha, and please, call me Elinor—eat… you look as if you’ve worked in the kitchens, slaving away all day.  I’m not here to attack the Great House of Proltis.  I would like you to tell me about yourself and how your family operates to better work with your mother… or with you, at some future point, considering I am immortal and can wait… a long time to get what I want.”

“And… what do you want?”  Trisha rasped, taking a cup of wine to quench her parched throat.  “You got your House of Ravens… the former queen, and… you’ve made a lot of enemies.”

Resting her head against the back of her hand, she studied the recovering high noble.  “And many friends, let’s not forget.  I will make you a promise, and I keep my promises.”

Trisha sat straighter, looking for any slack on the rope coiling around her throat.  “I’m listening.”

“Give me an honest answer as to why you come here… the reason you go to this 3rd party and require this form of… stress relief, and I will not use it as a weapon against you or your family.”

“You… wouldn’t understand,” Trisha mumbled, fingers tightening around the cup in her lap and glaring at her shoddy dress front, mixed with stains.  “You do not care what other people think and take whatever you want…  You answer to no one and nothing.”

“Hmm…”  Elinor’s gaze drifted to the flickering green flames of the fire, fueled by gemstones.  “Let me hazard a guess…  You hate the stress of always needing to be the one to have a solution, and sometimes, you just want to let go of all that pressure to be told what to do.  Am I close?”

Trisha was silent for a time, cheeks and nose turning more red by the second.  “It’s… deeper than that.  My mother has always told me what to do…  What’s expected of me is to be a strong woman amidst a sea of strong men.  And… I tried.  Yet, after I had my daughter… suddenly, I wasn’t what she wanted anymore…”

“Mmm.”  Elinor nodded, closing her eyes and puffing out a long sigh.  “She didn’t want a subservient daughter who did what she was told…  She wanted someone who would stand up to her… and you couldn’t be that woman… but it is because she trained you that way and decided she didn’t like it.  How soon do you think it will be until your daughter takes over control of the Great House since you are the disappointment?”

Expectedly, Trisha didn’t even seem that bothered by the harsh words, thighs tightening together as an accepting, sad smile lifted her lips.  “You see…  Trying to blackmail me will get you nowhere.  I only do what my mother tells me to do… and if that was… was to make way for my daughter to take over, then I would do that.”

“Trisha, Trisha, Trisha,” Elinor groaned, giving the woman a pointed stare that made her unconsciously snap to attention to receive orders before catching herself.  “You’re submissive.  That is not a sin, and I believe you can be shocked by how effective a little assertiveness training can be.  I knew a girl who went through a few sessions, and she became quite the member of my cheer squad.”

“Cheer… squad, Empress—I mean, Elinor?”  she recovered, stumbling through the words.  “I’m not following.”

Elinor saw a possible friendship that could bud from helping this woman regain control over her life, making her heart tremble with excitement at what might come from it in the future.  “What if I told you that you do not need to give up your pleasure here, releasing stress in a way that you’ve found that works, but also become the cutthroat CEO that your House needs you to become?”

“How… and what is a CEO?  Is that a position in your empire?”

“Haha.  It certainly is, and one my little sister tries to fill.  So why don’t we make another deal?”  She leaned forward, showing a supportive smile.  “Grandmaster Lilya will meet with you weekly—possibly a few times a week, as time goes on—and she will help you to become the person you desire to be… the best version of yourself that can make your family proud.”

The mother shifted uncomfortably, arms folded tightly under her bust.  “I do believe in your powers, Elinor…  You made it very clear how diverse you are—I am not doubting you—but… what would I have to do in return?”

Sitting back, Elinor chortled.  “That’s easy.  Befriend Lilya.”

“Excuse me, but… how?  My mother hates everything the former queen stands for… what direction the both of you make quite clear that you want our kingdom to go?  I don’t see how that can work.”

“Really?”  Elinor scoffed, giving her a sarcastic smile and nudging her head toward the bed.  “Where are we, High Lady?  You can’t tell me your mother knows about this place.  Obviously, you’re willing to stretch yourself this much to deal with your stress.

“What is a secret friendship with an Academy Grandmaster?  And to be clear, I’m only asking you to make an honest effort to be friends with Lilya; if you’re not compatible, there’s nothing that can be done.”

Now playing with her long mossy hair, Trisha knotted her legs together, struggling to find an out while also having trouble with her assertive side or the lack thereof.  “I… suppose I do need to be friendly with the Grandmasters, and there are some new alchemic products my mother was interested in me investigating…”

“Wonderful!”  Elinor clapped, getting to her feet and holding out a hand to help the surprised woman up.  “I won’t take any more of your, hehe, relaxation day.  I am sure it is challenging to schedule these visits without suspicion, which is quite devious of you!  I’m impressed, Trish—can I call you Trish?”

“O-Of course, Elinor, umm…  I trust your word, and… almost cannot believe you would let this scandal go without punishment… and for such a simple request.”

“Mmm.  Are you asking me to punish you?”  Elinor teased, making the older woman blush a little and look down.  “Joking!  I’m sure Lilya will find you adorable once she gets to know the real you, and do not think I am taking this secret of yours lightly…  It is hard to open up to people about the things we are ashamed of… even if we shouldn’t be ashamed of them.”

Trisha looked floored by her ending statement as she waved and moved to the door.

“Let the others know that I am very accepting, and wish them all the joy their dirty desires this secret establishment brings them.  If you, or anyone else, needs help with anything… sensitive, you will find a friend in Grandmaster Lilya.  Have a good evening.”

Sweeping out of the labyrinth as quickly as she arrived, Elinor parted ways with Flera, pondering several things in the conversation she’d had with Black.  Her Horsewoman of Famine opened the door to the carriage Tiffany had sent to them, Elinor’s focus lingering on the skyline as night swiftly approached.

“Plans?”  Black questioned, sitting opposite her and munching on some snacks she’d bought from a street vendor.  “Anything devious I can get in trouble for, preferably near a place with a lot of food?”

Elinor chuckled; she really would cause a famine with how bottomless her stomach was, yet it did stack and build her strength.  I’m going to do some internal training until our shopping trip tomorrow.  Tiffany, how is Grace doing; I assume you sent a raven to follow him?

“I did, and… he is on his way back.  He entered some kind of warp gate, or something along those lines, using his shackles floating in the air.  It was quite strange, even for me.  I believe his body was… transformed or transcended somehow.  You’ll have to ask him.  He should arrive near the same time as you.”

Intriguing.

Getting further details from the Witch Queen on her way back, Elinor found herself more confused by the sentence.

She exited the coach to step onto the red carpet walkway, lined with Sir Percy’s extravagant trophies, yet Elinor hardly looked at the awesome monster corpses; her attention was on the handsome and graceful Beastman standing at the entrance.

“You received an answer from your goddess?”  she asked, letting Black go off to continue her investigation of the jewelry.

“Indeed, I did, Empress.”

“Good…  We’ll discuss it in my room.”  Nodding at a few of the staff that greeted her, she led the way upstairs and took the armchair first, watching Grace comfortably sit across from her.  “Let’s hear it.  I expect she requires a tribute.  What kind?”

Grace chuckled, and without batting an eyelash, he said, “A ribbon.”

A stillness overtook them, the crackling of the fireplace that the maids lit coming into the foreground as Elinor processed the request.  “…A ribbon?”

“Yes, a pretty violet one, and a few outfits that will fit Heather’s frame.  She says it is close enough of a fit.”

“Uh-huh…”  Elinor sat to the side, lifting an eyebrow as her brain stopped working.  “Your goddess… wants me to go shopping for her… to get the complete answer I want?”

“That is what she said,” Grace said with a big smile.  “Nungal is quite enthralled by mortal attire.  Apparently, it is quite challenging to find proper materials at this time, and this will make her very happy.  She trusts you to find something of her liking, or she will send it back.”

“And… there’s the caveat,” Elinor groaned, running her fingers through her hair.  “How am I supposed to know what a goddess of chains likes in fashion?”

The man gave an unhelpful shrug, despite him knowing everything about this mysterious higher being of a woman.  “She said she wanted a pretty violet one, so I would guess you work from there.”

Elinor sucked in her bottom lip with slight agitation.  Out of everything she’d thought to do in this world, shopping for a picky goddess was not one of them.  “If… that is what Nungal wants, then that is what Nungal gets…”

Castria… I need you to bring Heather shopping with us tomorrow.

The teenage girl squealed with joy.  “You’re taking us shopping tomorrow?!  I thought you were going alone!  We do need new clothes for school.  I’m so excited!”

Well… some of them I have Heather test out will not be going to her.

“What?  I’m not following.”

Neither am I…  Apparently, heaven has run out of clothes.


Discord Link - Growing Community =D

View and help contribute to the Wiki

 

Support me on Patreon and get up to:  Note that Instead of 'first of the month' billing, I have opted into 'pay on the same day you sign up'!

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) ahead in A Tail's Misfortune

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) Ahead in The Oscillation Rewrite

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) Ahead in UE Rewrite

+ 10 Chapters (10 Weeks) Ahead in PokéSync (Pokemon Fanfic)

- 8 Chapters in The Power Of Cuteness And Positivity

- Soul's Requiem - Getting ready for Amazon Release (whenever I get the cover art T_T)

+ Random stories, such as Mystic:  My First Attempt At A Male Protag Isekai

+ Access to Polls

+ All my commissioned artwork is up for free on my Patreon!

image

Current Books on Amazon:

A Tail's Misfortune

Book 1 - Transformation

Undying Empire

Book 1 - Foundation

1