B2 — 24. A House’s Foundation
70 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV:

1. Elinor (Our Undead Empress!)

I want to thank my patrons for continuing to support me:

Crimson, Wulvenclave, Vereth, Reijiato, Lost Artisan, Yellow Tom, Guilherme Castro, Charlone, RackOfLife, Nick Riemersma, Overweight Indian, and my other Patrons!


As the morning of the House Selection Ceremony dawned, Elinor sat out on the covered terrace, once again greeted by an early shower; it seemed that much of her days over the past few months had been filled with rain.  Of course, her new home was a rainforest, and the kingdom she was in now had a heavy emphasis on weather controllers.

Once again, Queen Alivau had yet to make her appearance.  It showed her that the woman was still seething and plotting how to use this to her advantage.  Elinor wasn’t sitting on her laurels, either.  When this was done, the queen’s influence would be practically void.

Still, she had until tomorrow afternoon to meet the three-day deadline and make her move.  Maybe she would surprise her with something.  At least that would be more interesting, but who could predict the plays she was currently spinning?  The queen was an obstacle since her daughter had put her in a tough spot, which also meant she had to deal with it swiftly since Heather was a part of her plan.

She suspected the queen was more interested in her daughter and stepson’s reactions to her and how the nobility was taking the fistfight.  Fortunately, she and her court had been able to formulate a fairly wicked plot that could be set in motion during the extremely public ceremony.

It all started yesterday when Castria returned with Julian and the Crown Prince; it was a moment that gave Elinor the chance to have a one-on-one with him.

During that visit, something pivotal was mentioned about his family, and in such a casual fashion, that it almost caught her off-guard.  It was this piece of critical information that had spurred on her entire plot.  However, she had to be absolutely positive that it was true.

Elinor’s gaze drifted to the side, where her father sat, reading a book; it seemed even language was translated in Roman’s Quest.  Tiffany was on her return from the Lower City Alchemy shops, where she was comparing prices, stock, and quality of goods.

In the meantime, Black continued following her leads on the mysterious seller of the First Queen’s necklace, and her brother searched for less invasive ways of obtaining Death Energy than culling the local fish market.  As for Roman, his whereabouts had remained an enigma, but she expected him to make an appearance soon enough.

A knock came from the closed door, drawing both their attention; Castria stood beside the dark-haired man she’d extended an invitation to.

“Empress, Crown Prince Drew has arrived.”

“Excellent,” she said, her focus returning to the wet pair of sparring figures below.  Elira was already outside, practicing with Percy, having awoken an hour previous to learn some final tips before the ceremony.  “And did Princess Heather accept my extended hand?”

She could hear an uncertain edge in the young man’s voice as he responded, maintaining his distance since he hadn’t been instructed forward.  “My sister is… not well, but she has come as you requested.  She is waiting in the carriage.”

“Hmm?”  Fist rising to press against her cheek as she leaned against the side of her comfortable chair, Elinor followed a streak of lightning across the heavens.  The rumble spurred her heart and lightened her mood.  “I am one to be blunt, Prince Drew.  I have too many other important subjects to consider to be delicate in such matters.  Your sister joined you because to refuse my request would have angered your father, and I knew I was putting her in that position.”

Castria’s anxious voice piped up through the Nexus.  “Do we really need to be this cruel?  Drew really loves his sister.”

I know.  It is why I am doing this, Elinor replied.  You will see the results of the plan soon enough.

Drew didn’t respond for a second, his voice thickening as he tried to restrain his emotions.  “…Yes, Empress…  You didn’t indicate why you wanted to see us.”

Head tilting to the side to stare at the prince, Elinor’s lips curled ever so slightly.  “That is for you to decide.  A game played between the leaders of nations can be as complicated as it is simple.  I am not here to try and sway you in one direction or another.  It is your sister that has put you in this position, and it is one you must shoulder since you’re so dedicated to her safety.”

His mouth tightened, eyes dropping to the carpeted floor.  “I do appreciate your candor, Empress.  My sister has taken a rather… negative light from the incident the day before yesterday.  In all honesty, I am more worried about where the confrontation between you and her will lead, and not with what you might do since you seem to be completely over it, by your own words and actions.”

Uncrossing her legs, Elinor stood and adjusted her black gown, replaced after her last had been ruined.  “Join me.”

Silence brought the pattering rain into the foreground as Castria and Drew came to stand by her side.  They gave her dad a glance, but he was drawn back into the book he’d checked out from the local library on the kingdom’s recorded state of affairs going back the last two decades.

Elinor stared down at her Tempest’s older sister, drenched with rainwater in a female suit of armor that Percy had lent her.  It could have been any old gear, but she had to assume it had some connection to the Magic Knight’s executed wife; Elira was the spark of hope within the man to see his wife’s dream come true, and it showed in how focused he was on training the young woman.

Letting the pair stew for a time, Elinor allowed the prince time to unwind and find his feet.  To the people of this kingdom, she was a legendary figure, spurred on by rumors that her strong entrance had solidified to the extent of being factual.  Maybe she should have gone into acting instead of Cheer and Gymnastics because she was a natural; although, it helped when you truly felt as if you belonged in the role.

“…I understand you must be busy preparing for the ceremony this afternoon, Prince Drew.  You have much on your mind regarding your sister’s place in the House of Tempest, among many other concerns arising from her confrontation with me.  I will say that I did not see this coming, which is amusing to me.”

The prince seemed to hold his breath as she gave him a small, side-long smirk before saying, “I must thank your sister for her part in providing me an opening to insert myself without playing unsavory politics between various factions.  Contrary to what you might think, I am rather fond of your sister.  What do you think, Princess Castria?”

Castria tried to restrain her fingers from finding the tail end of her black, blue-streaked hair, currently wrapped in a braid over her shoulder.  “Princess Heather is… under a lot of pressure.  I don’t believe she’s been able to make many friends…  In some ways, she reminds me of myself.”

Drew’s worry was turning into confused curiosity at the turn in conversation.  He wouldn’t know that Castria was actually talking about her past as a peasant, shunned for her bad luck, and constantly trying to hide a secret, even from her own big sister.

In like fashion, Heather had her own secret that she kept from her brother.  All the lies she’d told had no doubt stacked up, and all it took was just a little puff of air for the whole stack of cards to come tumbling down.

Elinor found her wrist behind her back as her eyes drifted to her father.  “King Edmon, wouldn’t it be a shame if Princess Castria and Heather were in different Houses?”

Her dad closed his book, illuminated blue eyes rising to meet hers.  “It would, Empress.  When we are gone, Our Princess will be set upon by many competing factions, hoping to use her ties to the Raven Empire for their political and financial benefit.  We must cultivate a positive circle of support for her to rely on.”

“Hmm.”  Tiffany intruded on the conversation, making a showy entrance as she sat across from the Death Knight.  “The Crown Prince and Princess Heather can offer support, but it is far from sufficient to challenge other highly influential parties, such as the Great Houses.  It is certainly a start, though.”

Drew cleared his throat, acknowledging Tiffany with a respectful bow as the bubbly, orange-eyed woman gave a short wave at the prince.  “You’re setting up a support system for the princess?”  he asked, glancing at Castria, who tried to remain neutral.

Elinor chuckled and turned to leave for the carriage outside, sparking the others to trail behind her.  “I am not here to dethrone you, cause social unrest, or take sides in whatever internal conflicts that are happening within your kingdom.  Believe it or not, but I am here to uplift your father in ways he hadn’t dreamed possible.  I am also here to provide a princess in my charge a satisfactory education on her powers.  Then again, sadly, that is not all I must prepare for.”

One of the attendants by the front entrance of the giant suite opened it for them to proceed before she continued, “What I called you here to do was not to have an idle chat…  We are going to visit the Royal Crypt.”

A shiver ran through Drew’s frame as he almost tripped.  “W-What are you planning to do there?  You can’t think about resurrecting one of the former rulers?!  Empress, that—that would be…”

“Hehehe.  Prince Drew,” she said with a lighter tone, “I will swear to you, on my empire and name, that I would not do so without your father’s acceptance.  I am merely going to confirm a few things.  I can already imagine the gossip of the reason for the Raven Empress going to a graveyard of past rulers.  Why don’t we let the factions panic a little?”

The prince had a look of disbelief as she took them down the levy elevator and toward the front entrance.  She smiled when he parted the water above and on the streets for them to walk before Castria had a chance to do it.

Speaking privately to her father as he shouldered a pre-packed bag, she saw one of the inn’s workers jog out to open the carriage for them.  She had to marvel at how much you could get away with if you took the proper attitude and had some flashy presentation.

Most girls dream of being a princess, but I skipped the line right up to empress, she privately commented to her father.  People can give so much power through the tinted lens of mystery, grace, and a commanding cadence.

Her father summoned his horse to ride alongside them, sparking intrigue from the Tempest floating above the sidewalk and umbrella-wielding students going about their morning tasks.  Swinging his legs over the massive beast, he donned his full set of armor in a showy flash of crystalizing ice as he responded within the Nexus.

“It isn’t just the firm hand you’ve shown, ‘Princess.’  Haha.  You are giving people respect and showing what you respect.  A mystery woman that has a path to get closer to her is a tempting thing…  Your mother knew that secret.”

Elinor’s focus was on the students, reminiscing about her own first few days of preparation before the end of summer.  All the bustle to get everything needed for classes made her thankful that Percy was handling those affairs; Roman would be her choice, but he was off doing his own thing.  She half-cursed him for dumping so much onto her when this was his quest.

Recalling all the work her mother did for her, she paused at the coach steps and glanced back at her Queen of Witchery, not included in this conversation; her smile widened at the attention.

“Talking about me in secret?”  she asked with her own private message.  “Edmon must be for you to look at me like that.  He loved your mother so much…  I feel bad at times.”

Entering the surprisingly wide and spacious carriage, built to fit eight people comfortably, Elinor’s vision tightened as she caught sight of the redhead.  Part of Heather’s face was hidden behind her bangs with how she’d crafted it, but it was not hard for her to see a healthy amount of makeup covering bruises.

I know you two have your games and fun, she returned, keeping her peace for now as she sat directly across from the princess.  Don’t take things too far and try to fool my father into believing you are the woman he loves.

Tiffany’s cheer diminished as she sat beside Heather, vision falling to the bulky witch’s hat she placed in her lap.  “I understand the limitations I am under, Empress.  It is not my intent to fool Edmon.  It is… nice to feel wanted and loved at times.  Often, I am seen as a sort of… parasite or body snatcher, and I do sense that from you every so often.”

Elinor refused to acknowledge Heather as she greeted her, suddenly finding agitation welling up within her from the complications that came with Tiffany and her father’s dynamics.

If that happens, it is not my intent, she crisply responded.  You are you, and you are not my mother, but you hold many of her memories and experiences.  It is challenging not to miss her.  I do not resent you, though.  I place the fault on the Scarlet Hand and Shade.  I will leave it there.

“Yes, Empress,” Tiffany meekly responded.

It seemed the tension between them had caught the notice of the others because no one spoke as everyone situated and the carriage started toward its destination, her father directing things from the outside.

Her cold, emerald eyes returned to Heather, making the seventeen-year-old princess gulp and look away.  It didn’t help that she’d more or less confirmed her suspicions regarding the girl’s domestic abuse.

Last she’d heard from the prince, his sister had been healed by the paladins.  Elinor couldn’t imagine her own mother ever laying a hand on her, but she’d  had a friend in middle school who suffered from that kind of trauma.

Luckily, on Earth, it was much more challenging to hide such actions, so it had been reported and corrected swiftly; it wasn’t always the case, but in a world like this, it was likely far worse.  Perhaps it was even enshrined in law that a parent could do what they wanted to their child; it was a different society and world, after all.

However, this went explicitly against her instructions that the princess wasn’t to be disciplined, and that only rubbed salt into the insult.

Elinor poked right to the core, making Castria’s thighs tighten together, and Drew shifted comfortably.  “I was under the impression you were healed, Princess Heather.  Bruising doesn’t suit your fair complexion, and I don’t recall using my nails…  What happened?”

“Huh?  What… do you mean?”  Heather hesitantly asked, looking genuinely bewildered as she glanced at her brother for help.  “I, umm—I, eh, I fell—”

“Down the stairs?”  Elinor snorted, rolling her eyes.  “Don’t take me for a fool, Heather.  I will not be mocked or lied to.  I explicitly said you were not to be punished since I had equalized that debt myself.  Are you going to lie to me and tell me it wasn’t your mother?”

Drew stiffened.  “What?  No, Heather said she slipped out of bed today because she wasn’t feeling well.  We didn’t have time to get one of the paladins around my father, so…”

Elinor held up a hand to silence him, not so much as looking in his direction.  “I don’t want to hear what lies she spins to keep you in the dark.”

Heather’s eyes began to water, sparks flashing across her hair and arms, and at Tiffany’s prompt, a worried Castria swapped places with the witch.  “I-I’m not lying!  I’m clumsy—I’ve, heh, I’ve always been clumsy.  It w-was my fault…  No!  No, I’m in control.  I’m fine!”  she hastily reassured as the two swapped places, forcing her sparks under control.  “I’m just… a little caught off-guard.  I didn’t think you’d…  I didn’t think you’d care.”

“Empress,” Castria whispered, taking Heather’s hand, “can we give her time to cool off?”

“Yes, please,” Drew jumped in, clearly not wanting to let go of this disturbing topic but also seeing the panic gripping his suddenly skittish sister.  “I fully understand your anger and questions, Empress, but maybe we should do this in another location.”

“Drew…”  Heather mumbled, lip suddenly trembling as she pulled away from Castria and huddled against the side of the carriage, giving her big brother a hurt look.  “You…  You don’t believe me?  I-It was an accident—I swear…”

Elinor sat back, her tone firm.  “We will stop here for now.  Think carefully how you respond when I ask again, Heather.”

Just like that, silence retook them, bringing the dying storm outside to Elinor’s attention.  Sliding open the window to let in cool air and spot the gradually lessening showers, she noted the fear and anxiety that gripped the shattering princess.  Castria tried to offer a comforting hand, but Heather flinched and jerked away.

A soft hum came from Tiffany through the Nexus while observing the scene.  “As I recall, your mother would volunteer at a women’s shelter every few months.”

She did, Elinor whispered.  It sometimes became a topic during dinner.

“Indeed, it was,” Tiffany sighed.  “She would hear it all… 

“I know they love me, and I love them, too.

“I don’t want to leave because of the children.

“We have a lot of great times together… most of the time.

“I don’t have anywhere to go…  

“She believes it’s her failures that make her mother hurt her.  She needs to do better, and then she’ll be praised.  It is such a sad cycle because praise seldom comes from such parents.  All they see are flaws.”

Spotting the look of betrayal that Heather had while looking at her helpless and confused big brother, Elinor could feel the damage caused by years of abuse.  Heather couldn’t see any fault in her mother, yet she also knew that showing it would cause her mother harm.  The sad irrationality that came from early grooming.  This was her mother’s control tactic.

She let the atmosphere die down, figuring that it might be troublesome if she blew up the carriage; sure, all of them would survive, but it could slow their journey.

Her gaze lingered on the streets as they entered the Royal Palace grounds, only to veer on the left path after passing the gates instead of taking the center.  Once stopped, the rain had dwindled to almost nothing, and a bright, warm sky was peeking through.

Exiting the carriage, she waited outside for everyone to get out.  “Princess Heather, I would like you to join us,” she prompted, the disgruntled girl’s makeup now somewhat of a mess.

“Empress, please, I c-can’t…”

“You can, and you will,” Elinor firmly demanded.  “You are slowing my schedule, which I do not appreciate.”

She could almost hear the grumbles about ‘leaving her alone then’ that was said under her breath.  Elinor required her to be present, though.  This was where she would confront the girl, and she knew Heather could sense the coming interrogation.

Magic Knights surrounded them, personally assigned, and one of the grounds workers had been hastily brought to them to provide any aid.  According to him, people rarely visited the site, and it was currently empty, which was perfect.

Leading the way inside the underground crypt, she saw many canals built into the structure and hidden out of view to gather any water.  Truly, Lumina was constructed during a much grander and lost time within the Kaspir Kingdom’s distant past.  Their reliance on Tempests had stunted and, in many cases, reverted their society.

The underground structure was built to last the ages, and the phenomenal statues of heroic figures from their past made Elinor’s smile grow.  A jade butterfly left the flames she summoned in her hand to flutter along the showy displays of legends fighting monstrous beasts or standing proud, looking down on those that came after them.

“Incredible,” Elinor said in almost a reverent tone as she ran her fingers across the smooth, polished stone.  It wasn’t anything she recognized, red and glossy.  “You encase your past rulers and heroes inside stone?”

“How powerful are they?”  Tiffany breathed, looking at each one as if they were in a store, ready to buy something.  “Are there any worthy of entering the Court?”

Almost all of them, she responded, but she came to a stop near the back of the room.  Unlike most of the fearsome, potent, and epic statues in the crypt, this woman was in a sleeping position, positioned upright with her hands clasped at her front.  So, it’s true.

Drew—and even his traumatized little sister—were now staring up at what had caught her attention.  “My… mother?  She wasn’t a hero or legend.”

“She wasn’t a Tempest, was she?”

The prince slowly shook his head.  “No, like I said yesterday, she loved Alchemy.  She favored the House, which is how it grew so much…  My father was criticized for taking on one of the Alchemy Princesses of the Western Jesna Desert as his queen instead of one of the Noble Tempest families’ daughters.”

He shifted uncomfortably.  “The Sand Princes were angry that he didn’t return her body to them to give back to the desert.  It’s caused a trade ban between our nations, making some goods almost impossible to obtain.”

Heather piped up with a huff.  “Queen Lilya only caused The King heartache.  She was obsessed over finding some Alchemy super-drug that could cause someone’s time to reverse.  My mother says she experimented on herself, and that is why she died.”

Drew drew in his bottom lip.  “Heather…  Yes, my mother was a tad eccentric, but our father loved that part of her.  She was responsible for the entire cosmetic business of Kaspir’s to reach other nations.  The pulleys and other devices—”

“And what good has it done us?”  Heather snapped back, face red and makeup smudged, showing the black and purple bruising.  “All it’s done is make all the Noble Houses hate how open our family is to outside forces!  I-If that keeps up, then…”

“Then your mother might get caught up in a power struggle?”  Elinor bluntly stated, turning to walk up to the princess as she snapped her mouth shut and looked down, eyes watering again.  “Talking points your mother has drilled into you.  Think for yourself, Heather.”

The Magic Knights looked at one another with uncertainty as the scope of the conversation took a turn.  “Don’t lie to me.  It was your mother who gave you those cuts and bruises, which could easily be healed; in fact, I’m sure she has a paladin on call to solve her little outbursts.”

Heather took a step back, fingers finding her elbow and breathing faster.  “No—I mean, it’s my fault she got angry.  I was stupid; I caused her problems.  It’s always my fault, a-and it’s not like it happens all the time.  She loves me.”

“What?”  Drew mumbled in disbelief, the Magic Knights now shifting a bit, trying to ease the tension they were feeling.  “All those times you said you were just a klutz?”

Hair sparking with fire, Heather’s face grew more red.  “No!  I am klutzy.  Not every time!  It’s just… sometimes.  Sometimes, I can accidentally set her off.  It’s not her fault.  I know she has anger problems.  I’m not as strong as you, so I don’t get Dad’s attention.  I-I’m growing, though!  I’m not weak.  I can get stronger!”

“Heather—”

He took a step forward, but the girl swiftly retreated, starting to hyperventilate.

“No, stop!  Look, it’s—it’s not her fault, Drew.  This is all your fault, Empress!”  she cried, chest heaving as wind and fire began to cycle around her, hair fanning out to show her purple eye, claw marks, and bruised neck, where hand marks showed.  “You humiliated my mother by forcing me into a fistfight!  It’s your fault, but everyone takes your side!  What about me?”

Several of the Magic Knights moved to get between them.

“Empress!”

“Heather!”

“See?!  No, don’t get close!  Why don’t you believe me?!  What about me?!  Why didn’t anyone come to—when you were—I didn’t want this!  I’m a princess!  W-What do you want from me?!”

Elinor walked forward, weaving around the confused knights to stand in front of the girl.  “You want to let out that frustration.  Do you have the same temper as your mother?  If so, show me you can’t control your anger.  No one will interfere.  King Edmon…”

Her father gave her a pointed stare before summoning his giant tower shield and coming between the Magic Knights, her brother, and Castria.  “I hope you know what you’re doing.”

Hot wind fluttered their dresses as the flames intensified, and Elinor looked the frightened and pained princess straight in the eyes.  “You wish to get revenge for your mother?  Is that what she wants, or do you want it?  Maybe you enjoy the beatings your mother gives you.  Do you want to be punished again for humiliating her in front of me?”

“No!  Stop!”  A cyclone of fire raced outward, yet subconsciously, the girl created a break not to ignite her.  “Why are you—why are you doing this to me?  Why can’t I do anything right…”  Breaking into tears, the flames collapsed as she fell to her knees.  “Why can’t I do anything right?  I’m a failure!  I never do anything right!”

Elinor knelt down beside the sobbing princess and brought her into a hug.  “You did do something right.  Well done, Heather.  I want to help you.”

Slowly, the quaking girl’s arms closed around her.  “Why me?”

“Because you’re calling out for help,” Elinor whispered, pulling her in tighter.  “Because I think you could be a great friend to Princess Castria.  I know that you love your mother, but certain things must stop.  I know it is hard to accept help.  You have help, though.  Will you become Princess Castria’s roommate?”

“Huh?”  Stifling her sniffles, the red-eyed, puffy-faced ginger looked like she’d been slapped.  “Why would you want a failure like me as her roommate?  Everyone says I won’t even g-get into the House of Tempest.  I’m… damaged.”

“Excellent!”  Elinor chimed, further causing bewilderment from the uncertain guards and her big brother.  “If I don’t have to fight for you, then all the better.  It is their loss since I will be starting my own House for the school.  Maybe it can operate out of the castle while we work out housing arrangements!”  she giggled, seemingly leaving the rest of her entourage in a stunned state.

Releasing Heather, Elinor internally prompted her antsy Queen of Storms that it was fine to comfort her new roommate.  She spun on her heels, taking one last smiling look at the sleeping woman in stone before motioning to her guard that they were leaving.

“Tiffany, take the princess somewhere to get healed, and Castria, help her clean up.  I am not trying to beat the girl over the head but to provide a way for her to stand on her own feet and be proud of who she is; you girls need to look your best.  Prince Drew, perhaps it would be best if you escorted the ladies.”

He jumped into action, moving to help his sister, who was now protesting that she was fine, cheeks red with embarrassment, yet there was happiness on her face; finally, someone was seeing her rather than the sum of her failures.

Fixing her dress, now showing slight singe marks, she addressed Drew, the knights, and her father.  “In the meantime, it’s time I meet with Grand Duke Logan Christarion again before the ceremony begins.  I have a few things to run by the good rector.”


Discord Link - Growing Community =D

View and help contribute to the Wiki

 

Support me on Patreon and get up to:  Note that Instead of 'first of the month' billing, I have opted into 'pay on the same day you sign up'!

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) ahead in A Tail's Misfortune

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) Ahead in The Oscillation Rewrite

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) Ahead in UE Rewrite

+ 10 Chapters (10 Weeks) Ahead in PokéSync (Pokemon Fanfic)

- 8 Chapters in The Power Of Cuteness And Positivity

- Soul's Requiem - Getting ready for Amazon Release (whenever I get the cover art T_T)

+ Random stories, such as Mystic:  My First Attempt At A Male Protag Isekai

+ Access to Polls

+ All my commissioned artwork is up for free on my Patreon!

Current Books on Amazon:

A Tail's Misfortune

Book 1 - Transformation

Undying Empire

Book 1 - Foundation

3