B2 — 26. Secrets Uncovered
58 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV:

1. Elinor (Our Undead Empress!)

I want to thank my patrons for continuing to support me:

LazyJerk, Gin_Otamegane, Green, Overweight Indian, Charlone, RackOfLife, Cheese King, Iscander, Ahmad Fahmi, Nick Riemersma, Amdo, and my other Patrons!


The dimly lit corridors, artwork, and unusual vibe that filled the lower levels of the Conjuration Wing of the college impressed upon Elinor as she linked it to the schools of magic Tiffany had explained to her.

On her tour, she saw instructors and older students stocking shelves and setting the place for when the first years would make their entrance.  Curious objects could be seen in the rooms, each having its own label and purpose.

Instructor Bella rambled on about how their type of magic required a precise understanding, or at least a general grasp, of what the Conjuror wished to summon for it to succeed.  The individual also needed enough mana or a substitute mana gem to keep something together.

Conjuration could create a gold coin if one had enough energy to sustain it, but once the link to the caster was severed and no supplementary force was added, it would vanish.  One of the early tests of their House was for students to conjure their own chairs and desks to work at.

Elinor had a rough understanding of the magic style itself, and it certainly had its uses, but what interested her was the social dynamic between the Houses.  Above, the students wore thick, modest clothing, yet down here, they’d shed the robes to display shorts and crop tops to show off tattoos, piercings, and other expressive representations.

She’d seen the rooms near the staircase when they’d passed the 1st level, where they stored their cloaks and had their own locker space.  Down here, they were able to be whoever they wanted, which must have been incredibly liberating and uniting as a group, especially if they were once peasants.

The crowning moment of the tour came when Bella brought her to a large room, where a three-by-three-meter metal gate sat, five instructors surrounding it.  Her guide displayed the device as four held their hands against specific places, and the ruby gems inserted into the gateway increased in radiance.

“This is the Gateway to Ralva, where the Figmentations of Shadow reside, but I’m sure Your Royal Imperial Majesty knows far more about this realm than we do.  For us, it is a place to test the students for their valor, their concentration, and many other aspects, such as martial combat.  The Shadows will take on random forms that the students must defeat.”

Elinor strode around it as the teachers gave her a respectful bow, showing that her encounter with the princess had spread since they hadn’t offered a dab.  She let the woman explain it before asking her question, her father posing the same privately between them.

“I can understand the House of Conjuration being put to the test to maintain the gateway, as well as the House of Combat and Tempest showing their bravery and might… but what of the House of Alchemy?”

Bella gulped and rubbed her elbow, glancing at the other instructors as they tested the object’s stability in preparation for the opening ceremony.  “Well… they usually don’t perform in this showcase, b-but the graduates do get to show off any new products they’ve created!  Their makeup products have been quite popular, bringing them more recognition.”

“I see…”  Elinor paused at the front of the gateway, curious about these Shadows.  “Open the gate.  I’d like to see your work.”

One of the Magic Knights bent down to whisper in her ear, the Conjurers giving each other nervous glances at the order.

“Empress, with all due respect, it is not safe to do this outside of the ceremonial window and without direct protection from the Knight Grand Order, High Noble Houses, Grand Duke Christarion, and The King presiding.  While quite rare, incidents of unusually powerful Shadows have occurred in the past.”

Elinor’s smile widened, vision darting to her father, who was also hesitant to invite danger, yet she had her own purposes.

I understand your hesitation, Dad, but I need to know what kind of creatures we are dealing with.  I can wait until Tiffany catches up.  How close are you?

“I just finished getting the princesses all settled away and off to shop for their goods.  We are blowing through our cash swiftly, but we will only be here for several more days, which should be fine—that being said, it’s very early days.  Hehe.  I’ve managed to get the prince to agree to an allowance for our little storm cloud.”

Edmon’s dull voice answered as Elinor addressed the concerns.  “That’s not an answer to your ETA.”

“Whoops!  Roughly… fifteen minutes?”

Letting the two talk, Elinor invoked her butterfly, arms igniting with emerald flames to produce the tiny creature and draw everyone’s attention.  “I am aware of the risks.  We will wait until Witch Queen Tiffany arrives within the next fifteen minutes, and then I will see your work in action.  After such, I will continue on this tour of the college.”

The four Magic Knights grimaced at one another, but the matter was settled, and several supporting older students started to gather in the hallway, whispering to one another.  It was a gamble, yet so was everything in this world.  If it was available for first-year students, showing their stuff on a general basis, then it was stable enough to take the chance.

In the meantime, she asked another question while waiting for Tiffany to arrive.  “Bella, how many of these gateways to other realms have you managed to conjure your way to?”

The woman sucked in her bottom lips, fingers knotting at her front.  “We have… several into the Ralva Realm, linked to stable locations, but this is the most suitable one for first-years.  As for other realms, the price to open those gateways is quite high in comparison.  Typically, such ventures were commonplace a century ago, but due to the dangers involved, no new exploratory gateway has been opened since the Glacial Titan’s emergence.”

“Ahem,” one of the male Conjuration instructors interjected.  “That is not to say we do not have other realms in which our students may practice their various talents.  Those gateways are only opened for yearly final exams or the more challenging realms for great advancement, such as becoming an instructor or a House Succession Ceremony of Passage.”

She stared at the shiny gem path that lined their device, the jewels seemingly cut into lines and fitted side by side to create a complete circle.  “Understood.  So the House of Conjuration has been handicapped in its research for over a century, confined to a simple chair and glass manifestation while providing battlegrounds for the college’s students?”

The female Magic Knight near her grimaced, and quite a few of the instructors looked shocked at how direct she was in saying it aloud.

“That… is certainly a way one could view it, Empress,” the knight stated, “but the reason for such regulations being enacted is due to the release of the Glacial Titan.  It took the Grand Duke, King, and the three Great House Heads at the time to keep the city and surrounding countryside safe while battling it out to sea.  Rumor had it… that you actually took care of it once it reached your shores beyond the ocean.”

Elinor’s amused smile grew.  “Is that what they say?  Interesting.”  She let the topic die with a mysterious gleam in her eye that was left for them to interpret.

“I can’t imagine your neighbors took kindly to such an act, which supplied pressure to your kingdom to clamp down on the House of Conjuration, much more the frightened citizens that witnessed the event.  I’m sure there may be some still alive that recall that event.”

“Yes,” Bella said, throat a tad dry from the cataclysmic topic that involved her craft.  “One such person would be the Royal Grand Paladin himself, who believes the House of Conjuration should be dissolved, but it is through us that the Teleportation Gates are maintained, and new ones opened.”

“Indeed, you are quite important,” Elinor affirmed, making the magic users smile at one another from the positive reinforcement.  “Instantaneous transportation cannot be understated in its importance to any nation.”

“Well said, Empress,” said a lively man dressed in fancy purple robes that strode through the door, showing intricate stitching of what seemed to be constellations on his formal outfit.  By the sash he wore around his neck and the symbols of the House clearly depicted across the white article, he was someone of importance.

The Conjurors across the room swiftly took their hands off the gateway to give the man a deep, respective dab, mirroring each other.  “Grandmaster Irkai Calning!”

He chuckled, shooing off the students as he stopped a good ways away to offer her a showy bow, his sash only just escaping the floor.  “May I approach, Raven Empress?  I am Grandmaster Calning, the current leader of the House of Conjuration.  Yet, I assume you are well aware of all our nation’s nobility from the extraordinary reputation you command.”

Elinor was entertained by the display; he was the type to butter you up and cut you down the center.  Just as with the Grand Duke, her father informed her of the strength this man possessed.

“I have no objection, Grandmaster,” she returned.  “The Grand Duke must hold you in high regard if he sent a member of your staff to tour me around campus.”

“Lovely.  And, hah, I would hope so, Empress,” the man returned, striding forward to join her.  A swift sweep of his appearance made her think he was in his late thirties or early forties, which seemed young; there had to be an iceberg full of devious secrets hidden beneath his greasy smile.

His bright brown eyes darted to her hovering butterfly, obviously interested, but his gaze quickly returned to her.  “I am honored that you would visit my House first.  Although, I do feel a tad overwhelmed, considering the Grand Duke did not inform me of your arrival.  When I heard of your visit, I made haste to return to the college.”

Knowing every play inside this kingdom was like fine string, attempting to coil, deadly loop by loop, around her throat, Elinor pivoted.  “There is no need for you to take time out of your undoubtedly busy schedule to escort me directly.  I am more than satisfied with Bella’s performance thus far; she reflects your House in a positive light.”

“Excellent!”  he chimed, flashing his teeth and showing a beaming smile at the previously nervous, now relieved, instructor.  “With that invitation to excuse myself, I will return to my duties and ensure the transportation nexus runs smoothly while bringing the nobles from the borders of our fair kingdom to its core.  Empress,” he stated, taking another deep bow before leaving without a backward glance.

Her father watched him exit with a neutral expression.  “It’s hard to tell if he wanted to stay or find an excuse to leave…  He hides his intentions well.”

I suspect most of the commoners-turned-nobility have that in common, Elinor said, feeling Tiffany entering the college on a high note.  We’ve already seen examples of the Tempest being able to flaunt their passion and attitude while the other Houses hide what the nobles show distaste for.  While there is a level of freedom the people here enjoy, it is far from equal.

Bella’s nervousness diminished significantly once her boss left.  “I sincerely appreciate your praise, Empress, but I have hardly been the perfect guide.  My arrival, for one, was quite disheveled and unprofessional.  My apologies.”

A hum rumbled in Elinor’s throat, her gaze drifting to the bowing teacher, the others returning to their device, ensuring it was ready for the ceremony.  “Apology accepted since it is sincere, but how can I fault you for your tardiness and being ill-prepared when I am sure that the Grand Duke only informed you of the task at the last minute to gauge my reception?  Is that not so?”

A lump appeared in the woman’s throat, which was answer enough for her.

“I thought so.  A tad harsh to throw one’s staff into the fire, but I suppose he did so because he trusted you.”

The uncertainty on the instructor’s face flipped at the praise.  “I will do my best not to disappoint.”

Elinor gestured to the door entrance, drawing her attention.  “Queen Tiffany will be here shortly.  Once she has approved, I would love to see your work in progress.  Take me through the steps…”

Bella perked up, guiding her to the device to excitedly point at each mana crystal ring.  Interestingly, the stones themselves didn’t contain or generate mana, but mana could be stored inside them from an external force.

Essentially, the Conjurors had to have a destination in mind and channel that mental image inside the metal gateway; the material itself was vital since it helped to tune the desired location into better focus, similar to the necklace Castria had.

Overall, the material was very rare, which was why most of them were purchased directly for the use of the House of Conjuration by the House’s superiors, making it almost impossible to get in the open market.  However, the thing that snagged Elinor’s mind was the idea that these magic users had to have a vision of the destination, and that was why visionaries, or those who could peer into other realms, were of such critical importance to the craft.

Sadly, the school hadn’t produced such a person for the past seven decades.  For Elinor, it sounded almost as if it was an exercised skill rather than an innate gift, and when they’d blocked research into other realms, it naturally faded away.

Tiffany internally agreed with her when the witch arrived, making the instructors nervous as she snapped her fingers to ignite her orange flames.  Scanning the material, she confirmed that it was of lesser quality than the jewelry their newest Royal Court member had around her throat.

As time and study went on, Elinor sighed when her father prompted them that they were, in fact, on a clock.  She stood in front of the magical item; well, in truth, it was less of a magical item and more like a tuning fork with a battery.  The instructors did all the heavy lifting on the Conjuration department, while the new potential initiates would each attempt to supply the needed focus and power to open the gate up.

The other professors stepped away, allowing Bella herself to demonstrate the process, the Magic Knights growing tense and taking up combat positions.

Bella swallowed, glancing between a fascinated Tiffany and her stoic, battle-ready father.  “I’m going to open the way now.  Shadows always do come through, but it may take a second…”

Elinor’s head tilted to the side as an inky black mass of energy materialized in the middle of the gate, the ruby crystals lighting up.  “I look forward to seeing your skill.”

The cycling force exploded into a disk-like nova, rushing to meld into the metal and sticking to it like a web.  In the next instant, the inky rippling pool began to clear, and Elinor’s smile became a line as a black-and-white scene cast in darkness took shape.  In the distance stood a broken tower and ruined city; only, to Elinor, it had a striking resemblance to the very city they currently occupied.

Are you seeing what I am, Tiffany?  A mirror universe?

Vision scanning every angle they could, the woman’s uncertain voice entered her mind.  “Perhaps…  These Visionaries of the Conjurors may have envisioned this in a nightmare and found a link to this particular world through… Astral Projection during sleep?  It is hard to say, but it certainly does have a striking—”

“Empress!”  one of the knights warned, sword shining with blue light as a shadowy hand reached through, invisible on the other side, only to take the shape of a man, stumbling out of the portal.  “Close the gate!”

“No,” Elinor rejected, walking around him and snapping her fingers.  “I will tell you when to close it.”

Two [Chains of the Damned] connected to the shade, binding it in place, and Elinor felt something that made her pause; it froze on contact, hardly worth a thought to keep in place, despite strength that would stick it on the level of Mika.

“Half… a soul?”  she whispered, focus darting back to the world as shapes began to take place, colossal figures roaming beyond magically-induced darkness.

[Grade Advancement - Darkness Vision III Unlocked]

Her eyes widened at the titanic figures that fell over each other as if lost in an endless mental haze.  Creatures with many wings, both humanoid and aviary, floated through the ruined, hilly region that in Roman’s world currently saw many traveling refugees, seeking shelter in the golden city.

Two more shadows stumbled through, and she could feel the one she bound stir at their presence.  “You may close it now, Bella,” she whispered.

 

[Limit Break Activated: Chain Break I]

 

Another pair of chains split space to bind the shadows as the Conjuror pulled her hand away, causing the web-like portal to pull tight, sticky edges being ripped away into a tiny sphere that gradually dissipated.

Her Magic Knight was clearly uncomfortable with the three petrified shadows.  “What… did you do to them?  I’ve never seen them so still.  Usually, they become extremely aggressive and agitated after the first few make it through.”

“Don’t get cocky,” her dad warned.

They’re harmless like this, she returned.  Tiffany, see what you can determine.

The Conjurors all closed in, showing fascination at the petrified shadow humans.

“Empress, do you have some experience with these entities?”  an elderly man asked, not showing any fear while studying it from a distance.  “They haven’t even expanded yet, and they’re not trying to unify.  How… unusual.”

Bella jumped as Tiffany snapped her fingers, directing her orange flames to surround the figures.  “This is… revolutionary!  Nothing like this has been observed.  No magical binding artifact from the Delva Empire has ever been able to restrain them.”

Elinor moved closer to walk around the three, her butterfly passing right through each one of them to give her a better understanding of their spiritual essence.

Incomplete souls…  They seek unification to expand.  They’re neither dead nor alive, but if enough of them combine, then I’m sure they could create ‘something’ of more complete origin.  I doubt it would last very long before becoming unstable and dissipating here, though.  Half physical, energy, spiritual, intelligent… all as if cut to the very essence of what they are.  What do you make of them, Tiffany?

The Witch Queen pushed her big, pointy hat up to scratch her temple.  “Mmm.  I can use them in many wonderful rituals, but it would be challenging to keep them in a usable state, given their instability in this world.  If they attached themselves to people, then they could possibly find enough material to complete themselves.  I’d name them Shadow Snatchers; I wouldn’t be surprised if multiple are already living in this world.  At least, that is my initial gut opinion.”

“Hmm.  This opens up many possibilities,” Elinor said aloud, turning away and giving her father the private message that he could destroy them.  “You underestimate their threat.  Let’s continue our tour, Professor Bella.”

The knights made way for her father as the chains binding the shadows broke away, and a frosty chill filled the space as her father revealed a chilly, black metal blade that would make most edge lords drool.  In one sweeping strike, his sword encased the weak, incomplete spiritual shadows in soul-binding ice before shattering into diamond flakes that caused an arctic gale, spreading the sparkling crystals across the stone floor.

“I could have used them,” Tiffany mumbled to the Death Knight as they followed Elinor to the door, Bella and the four knights hurrying to catch up.  “Incomplete materials like those are quite rare and valuable.  Haaa.  There are so many things this kingdom takes for granted.”

Bella smoothed back her bangs behind her ears, heart no doubt racing after the show; her colleagues were still trying to figure out how they’d disposed of the shades, kneeling down to examine the soul-sealing, shattered ice.

“You said they were half-souls, Empress?  Could you elaborate on that?  The concept of a ‘soul’ is an old one that has been hotly debated among the Houses and nobility for generations.  Our House has long been in agreement that it exists, but what it is has continued to stump our greatest minds.”

A short laugh shook Elinor’s frame as she slowed to a more reasonable pace, scanning the various other rooms along the vast underground network of the college wing.  “Perhaps it will become a subject of study for your college when I am done.  Let us not get too distracted.  I may have spent too much time as is in the House of Conjuration, despite my enjoyment of your company.”

Bella’s chest puffed up with pride at all the praise she’d been given, further brightening her spirit and prompting her to push forward in their tour.

Their trip to the House of Alchemy was next, and Elinor smiled, having the suspicion that the woman was explicitly choosing to go to one specific House Wing last: their arch nemesis, the House of Combat.

Tiffany was certainly thrilled about seeing all the materials and facilities that the Alchemists possessed; they had labs that had the witch spontaneously deciding to stay behind and complete a few experiments she wanted to try since they didn’t have the equipment to use back home.

She gave brief greetings to the professors and general staff that she passed along the way, and her four Magic Knights soon had a sour look on their faces when Bella took them to the Tempest Wing, leaving their House for last.

Unlike the awe and curiosity she garnered from the Conjurors and Alchemists, the nobles in this lavish wing were all quite skittish.  Not one floated off the ground when she silently moved through their halls with her rather smug guide at the atmosphere.

Their eyes were downcast, and every one of the instructors or teacher’s aids gave her a soft welcome, keeping their distance.  Unlike the boisterous laughter and expression she’d heard from the nobles when entering the area, the tone of the wing took on a sobering atmosphere by the time she’d made it halfway through their decorated halls, only whispers following their path.

Her bold treatment of their princess and dominating personality from the moment she’d stepped foot into their kingdom made it very clear that she was not one to step up to without extreme cause.  Apparently, both the Grandmasters of the House of Alchemy and the House of Tempest were away from the college since they didn’t approach her.

Finally, they came to the House of Combat, where her own four knights offered to guide her instead of Bella.  She allowed it, expressing her satisfaction with the Conjuror’s tour.

Bella gave her a bow, preparing to leave.  “I thank you for your kindness and show of wisdom and power, Empress.  You have truly blessed the House of Conjuration with much to consider.”

A small smile lifted Elinor’s lips as she half-turned when the woman tried to leave, imparting one last comment.  “Perhaps there will be more that you may be able to offer me soon enough, Professor Bella.  I am sure we will talk again.”

She left the woman to ponder her words as the Magic Knights guided her into the very bright and showy front lobby, where the students of the House mingled or studied together.

According to her Magic Knights, all those who entered the college obtained a premium education, and not in their unique trades.  From economics to the literary arts, for one to become a part of a House, they were also required to dedicate their lives to a degree of refinement befitting the college’s name.

The same as the previous two Houses, the Grandmaster was absent, yet when noon drew near, they came to the end of their tour with the elderly Grand Duke meeting them at the training grounds outside of her current escorts’ House.

Elinor’s smile grew.  “Has your schedule cleared?”

Logan’s deep, piercing eyes didn’t give anything away.  “I believe it is time we have a talk, Raven Empress… alone.”

“I would enjoy that.”

She could feel her father’s protest, but he knew that this was more than likely the case.  If what he said about the elderly Tempest’s power was true, then they’d come to the strong suspicion that he could bypass the Tempest blocking stones.  He knew things he had to confront her about, and she had questions he could answer.

“I’m in your care,” she stated, and not soon after, her hair rose a little, a firm breeze collecting around her like tender arms that lifted her off the ground.  “Trying to impress already, I see.”

It got a slight smirk from the man, and Elinor blinked as the world blurred; it looked like the planet itself had moved, and spontaneously, they were outside.  At first, her thoughts went to teleportation, but that thought shattered when she saw the small cyclone that dissipated behind them.

In the next instant, she saw a drill of hyper-condensed air above them, spiraling deceptively slow before they rocketed into the sky, faster than any missile she’d seen on the internet.  Not three seconds had passed since she’d left her father, and she’d already been taken outside the college and over three times the height of the central tower to overlook the vast landscape and ocean that surrounded Lumina.

Elinor didn’t flinch, hands held behind her back and suppressing the discomfort of hanging over empty air with an unseeable amount more below them.  The atmosphere was perfectly still as the elderly Grand Duke sat on nothing, generating an invisible platform for her to mirror him.

Crossing her legs, she had to admit it was quite the move, and proved her father right: they didn’t stand the ghost of a chance against the top echelon in this kingdom.  “Quite the remote location, indeed,” she chortled.  “Let me guess, you wish to discuss the topics I brought up with Roman.  You’ve been listening carefully.”

Logan folded his fingers in his lap, voice calm as a gentle brook.  “You are not the Raven Empress but another ruler beyond our world.  Your power over life and death is real, which is a frightening ability, yet it also has its activation mechanisms: the green flames and the fluttering insect you can generate through it.

“That is not your only ability,” he stated, eyes narrowing.  “Your chains that bind the soul can block the means of magic users to draw upon their mana, as observed with the prince and princess.  I suspect there are many more abilities, including what your unique vision could see when looking into Ralva…

“You are searching for the Last Queen’s artifacts, seeking to insert your Tempest into my academy, and working with a man who seems not to be entirely your ally.  A dubious man you call your Duke, who uncovered a rather alarming plot involving the hag…  And then there is the creature burrowing below our hills.  It is apparent that you are taking bold steps to learn about our world…  All for what end?”

Remaining perfectly calm, Elinor mirrored his posture, vision sweeping the spotted settlements that linked to Lumina’s roads before her emerald eyes returned to him.

“To put it bluntly, Grand Duke… your world is dying, and I stand to benefit greatly by contributing to its restoration.  I cannot and will not give you all my cards or details, but I could take Castria to the Delva Empire.  Instead, I am here.  I am only here for the next several days before I must return, and in that time, I want to lay the foundation for something that will save your kingdom, and possibly your world.”

Logan was silent after the partial confession, leaning against his invisible chair while scrutinizing her.  It took a few minutes for the highly intelligent and powerful man to respond.

“…You play a dangerous game, Empress.   If I were to inform the king, the acts you have engaged in thus far would be seen as aggressive acts toward war.  You have maneuvered yourself well…  Am I included in this plot of yours by this very conversation?”

Elinor chortled.  “Grand Duke, I like to think of myself as an intelligent young woman, but I am far from omniscient.  I have done what I could with what I was given.  Initially, it was not my intent to save this world, but, as I said, I stand to gain greatly from its salvation, and I want that to start here in the Kaspir Kingdom.

“Who is the enemy I fight?  I am unsure.  Who is trying to destroy this planet, or what exactly will save it?  More questions I cannot answer.  I do know that if I do nothing, then the result will happen all the same; just as those shades I examined, your world will not last long without support.”

“Hmm.  And what about this Roman figure?  You do not trust him.”

A playful smirk twitched at the corner of her mouth.  “Roman and I may be… tentative toward one another, I suppose you could say.  However, I do believe that he has your world’s interest at heart.  Your kingdom?  Not so much.  But your world, he is trying to save.”

“And that is my explanation.  Do note that I am more than willing to work with you to root out the evils and mysteries rooted in your history.  Is discouraging the potential upset of your monarchy worth the risk of total and sure annihilation?”

Logan stroked his beard for a time before saying, “I will observe you further…  You intend to propose to the king that you resurrect his wife in order to put her in charge of this new House you intend to create for all magic users?”

Showing a sober smile, Elinor glanced down at the tower and city far below.  “As I understand your rules, a House must have a representative capable of leading it, instructors and students alike.  Queen Lilya was an Alchemy Princess of the Western Jesna Desert and more than fits the criteria.  As for Alchemy…”

Her sharp eyes returned to his.  “As for the reputation of ‘Alchemy,’ my Witch Queen is appalled at how you have underutilized the trade.  I will give Lilya the needed information to build up the practice so well that the nobles may get their wish and the House of Alchemy dissolves.  Heh.  Well, it would be absorbed into the new House.”

Logan pondered her direction.  “Resurrection has never been a happy tale in our history since it always comes at the claws of the hag.  How would your resurrection be any different because how you answer will drastically change how the king responds.”

“Haha.”  Elinor gestured below.  “Look at King Edmon, Queen Tiffany, Princess Castria, Black, Ash… the list goes on.  Those I bring back are just as they were… more perfect, actually.  Queen Lilya will be even more radiant than when she was in her prime and have access to traits that she can tap into that will uplift your kingdom to degrees you couldn’t fathom: memories, stunning looks, cunning, past emotions, and new knowledge.”

“It sounds like a fairytale.  You wish to have my support when you unveil this plot during the ceremony and for me to warn the king.  Why is a fifth house so important to you?”

Elinor was silent this time, leaning back to stare out across the bright, endless ocean.  “…Why is this important?  Hmm.  It is important for many reasons.  Castria needs a friend.  Heather can provide that.  Heather disgraced herself when she mistakenly challenged me, which will come with horrific consequences that I am negating…  I am not a fan of how her mother treats the poor girl.  Finally, Castria needs a place where she can feel at home when I am not here to defend her.”

“And how long will you be absent?”  he asked, being far more reasonable than she could have hoped.

She shook her head.  “Unfortunately, I cannot say.  Roman is the one with the gate to your breaking world.  I am sure you can see it with the shadows you fight since I am now convinced you are far more intelligent than most blinded and ignorant fools in this kingdom, only looking out for their own station and wealth as the universe crumbles.”

Showing a smile, she asked, “So, will you entertain my show and support Castria if I am able to convince the king?”

Logan rose to his feet on their invisible wind platform to stare across the countryside.  “Convince him?  No… he would be convinced the moment I bring it up.  He has never been able to get over his love for Queen Lilya, yet he has other responsibilities that will deny him the chance to unite with her since he has remarried.  You will make many enemies from this action.”

“Haha.  I will also gain many friends,” Elinor returned, rising to stand by his side.  “Lilya will be loyal to me, as I will be the reason she lives, but I will give her full sovereignty without restriction.  Her task will be to align our interests, and since I cannot be here, she will act in my place over those I leave behind.  I will give this offer now.”

Her lips fell into a line as she shifted to look up at the tall, elderly man.  “Tell me you do not want my help to save your planet, and I will leave.  I have no delusions that you hold great power, and I would rather focus my efforts elsewhere than continue something unproductive here.  Otherwise, I would like to see your kingdom and world prosper since it will make me prosper.”

Thunder rolled through the clear skies, Logan’s calculating eyes picking apart every piece of information he’d gleaned about her since coming to his world, and, after a minute, he nodded his head.

“We will talk more if you succeed…  There is a lot of room for error in the next few hours, Empress.  I do hope that you are more than idle talk, else I will be forced to test your claimed immortality.”

She chuckled as he lowered them back to the ground.  “To a prosperous future.”


Discord Link - Growing Community =D

View and help contribute to the Wiki

 

Support me on Patreon and get up to:  Note that Instead of 'first of the month' billing, I have opted into 'pay on the same day you sign up'!

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) ahead in A Tail's Misfortune

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) Ahead in The Oscillation Rewrite

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) Ahead in UE Rewrite

+ 10 Chapters (10 Weeks) Ahead in PokéSync (Pokemon Fanfic)

- 8 Chapters in The Power Of Cuteness And Positivity

- Soul's Requiem - Getting ready for Amazon Release (whenever I get the cover art T_T)

+ Random stories, such as Mystic:  My First Attempt At A Male Protag Isekai

+ Access to Polls

+ All my commissioned artwork is up for free on my Patreon!

Current Books on Amazon:

A Tail's Misfortune

Book 1 - Transformation

Undying Empire

Book 1 - Foundation

4