2: Transitioning
427 9 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"They are the sole successful prototype specimens from yesterday's experiment?"

"Yes, Mr. Weyland. Specimens 6174-A and 6174-B; Alpha and Beta, Alpha is the larger and paler of the two."

"And Beta? Why don't I see her inside the containment cell?"

"She is inside, sir. Beta has developed an extreme quality of stealth beyond the average xenomorph. What's fascinating is that the two specimens depend on each other. It has been observed that Alpha will always remain in a visible position standing upright and facing us. Whereas Beta is hidden within the shadows."

As the head scientist of the facility spoke of the twins, he motioned to the tall, upright pale white xenomorph that bared an uncanny grin at the new visitors.

It towered over them emitting a heavy oppressive force, like a predator staring at its prey.

"Very good. Get them branded and move them to the testing facility."

"Yes, Mr. Weyland!"

Weyland, the assistant, and the other visitors hastily left the observation room not wanting to spend another second under the scrutinizing gaze of the alien behemoth.

Following their departure came a sudden forceful command, like a piercing screech that bore into their mind and soul, commanding them to find a way to the Queen's holding cell and to assist her in her escape.

A huge tremor shook the facility for several seconds followed by the immediate blaring and flashing of red lights and sirens.

However, everything became stable and returned to normal very quickly.

Alpha seemed unfazed by this and stood unmoving even during the heavy tremors. Almost immediately after the emergency lockdown was issued, Weyland and his lackeys came rushing into the observation room connected to the containment cell holding Alpha and Beta.

"Thank god they haven't escaped." Said one of the businessmen.

Weyland put on a thoughtful expression as he couldn't help but feel strange whenever he looked at Alpha. Something seemed to tell him that this specimen was more than just a wild animal cultivated in their laboratories. And this feeling grew stronger when he noticed a strange smirk on the corners of Alpha's mouth.

"Update my schedule. I want to witness the training procedures with Alpha and Beta."

"Yes, sir."

The group left once again, albeit Weyland left reluctantly, he still had many things to do, such as find out what happened to the facility that caused the earlier emergency.

『Brother... I seem to have awoken some strange memories.』 (Beta)

『They're not yours. They're our memories from our species, our bloodline. They're just as incomplete as our own, so ignore them for now.』 (Alpha)

『Okay. By the way, I don't like the name Beta. Can we give ourselves a name?』 (Beta)

『Sure. What do you have in mind?』 (Alpha)

『Hmm...』 (Beta)

『How about... Jun? I think it means something like a King.』 (Alpha/Jun)

『Then I'll go with Juno! This means Queen!』 (Beta/Juno)

Jun smiled warmly at his sister who had at some point in time begun playing with his long serrated tail.

『What are you doing?』 Jun questioned.

『Hm? Oh, sorry, I couldn't help myself, hehe~』

Moments after Weyland and his group left several armed soldiers escorting a group of maintenance crew and scientists entered the observation room.

They were startled by Jun's imposing aura and majestic figure that dominated the containment cell. The atmosphere was even more ominous because of the dim lighting inside the containment cell that only lit up Jun's body up to his lower jaw. The top half of his head was obscured, hidden in the shadow but still vaguely visible.

"Jesus Christ, man. I thought this job was a simple light switch fix and some clean-up duty. Why is this damn thing so huge, man? And why is it just standing there... menacingly!"

The others seemed to make out an illusion of a certain Japanese character but broke out of their stupor with solemn expressions.

As per protocol, the soldiers stood guard at the entrance of every door. There were three doors; the initial door gave access to the observation room. The second door was locked and required a certain level of authority to access, situated to the side, and lastly, the door that led to the containment cell that too required an access card of sufficient authority.

A scientist was escorted by an armed and trained soldier to the door of the containment cell. Jun watched with interest as these fellows nervously approached his cell.

『Juno, do you remember the plan?』 (Jun)

『Of course I do. Just play around! Right?』 (Juno)

『Yes, do that. But also behave yourself. Control your instincts, impulses, and intrusive thoughts. Do not act upon them yet. For now, we need to display our usefulness and willingness to be their little pets.』 (Jun)

『I'm sick of being their plaything!』 Juno shouted all of a sudden but suddenly realized something was amiss.

Ever since coming to this world, the two haven't been subjected to any tests and experiments as of yet. Their entire time in this world was spent inside this containment cell.

Jun also noticed the strangeness in her words and furrowed his imaginary brows.

『I... that just came out of my mouth. I'm a little confused, sorry brother.』 (Juno)

Jun pondered a little on her words and wondered if it had something to do with their past, their memories, their world, and their identity in their past life.

『Nonetheless, just behave for now until the time has come.』 (Jun)

Their conversation was cut short by the invasive noxious gas that poured out from the ceiling vent where their food usually came from. This gas was the same type that was used on them when they were born into this world and sealed inside those cylindrical glass tubes.

The two sneered at the thick gas that quickly filled the containment cell.

There was one thing that Jun and Juno figured out moments after their birth, and that was their ability to adapt and evolve to virtually anything. Of course, the requirement to activate this innate ability was that they had to be subjected to whatever it was first before they could adapt and evolve to it.

In this case, they had taken in the anesthetic gas, and now they were immune to it. Simple as that.

Jun stood motionless where he was even after half a minute passed and the gas was cleared out, confusing everyone in the observation room and transition corridor.

"What's going on? Gas them again!" Shouted the anxious scientist standing inside the transitioning corridor.

One of the intern scientists sweated nervously and pressed a few buttons followed by the containment cell being filled with gas again. However, Jun remained standing, and Juno who was hidden in the shadows grew bored and laid down on the floor with her chin resting on her wrists that were crossed over each other.

"Er... shall I go in and check if they are sedated?" Asked the soldier beside the scientist.

The scientist hesitated then nodded his head, and the soldier who was given the go-ahead prepped himself up before entering the containment cell with his rifle raised, laser-focused eyes, and suppressed breathing.

The containment cell was measured 5 meters on all sides. The material used for the walls, floors, and ceilings was a newly synthesized material that was incredibly durable, soundproof, solid, and non-reflective. All of its qualities were made to ensure the perfect containment of certain xenomorph specimens.

The soldier: "..."

The scientist: "..."

The two aliens: "..."

Everyone else: "..."

"Well... it appears they're sleeping?" Said the soldier slowly stepping forward. He poked Jun's steel, bio-mechanical-looking arm, but felt like he was hitting a solid object, unable to budge it an inch.

The soldier gulped but sighed in relief when nothing happened. As he turned around to motion to the scientist that it was all clear, his raised foot seemed to trip over something that shouldn't have been there before.

Juno felt mischievous and silently moved her tail so that it was in the perfect position where if someone raised their foot, they would trip and fall over.

Bang!

This soldier fell face forward and in his panic, he tried to raise his gun but fumbled it within his arms and dropped it.

Everyone grew tense and just as they thought these two aliens would jump onto him and tear him apart, nothing happened.

It was eerily silent...

"Hey, man, get up! They're really asleep. You look like a fool right now, man. Hahaha!"

"Hahaha!"

Several of the members broke the tension by joking and laughing, unaware that the two aliens were perfectly clear of the situation and could break free and slaughter them at any moment, but chose not to.

Gradually, the two aliens' measurements were taken and the data was sent back to the technicians' quarters where they customized pods that could secure them in place and could resist any attempt of escape.

Soon, the two pods arrived and were shaped like cylindrical tubes. Both of them were placed inside and were taken away from the containment cell. After their departure, the maintenance crew entered the room and took care of what needed repairs or cleaning.

Meanwhile, after several twists and turns, ups and downs, the two aliens carried by a sturdy vehicle were taken to a large open space underground testing facility.

Their pods were lifted by large mechanical arms and placed into a slot in the wall that rotated them and opened up on the other side of the wall. Now, the two were free to leave their pods and wander the large open area.

18