「Unknown variables」 (part 2)
473 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

// Nelly's Pov. //

Aaahh...
I did it again!
Why does this always happen?
It wasn't Talie's fault, she just didn't know how it functioned.

Not to mention...
The pilot herself is a child.
I myself tried to move that machine and yet...
All I could do was move a single limb or leg.
Even though, I studied both the arcane and alchemical craft.
It still wasn't enough...
And yet a child like her was able to move it,
No...
she wasn't the only one.
Even the smaller version was moved by her sister.

"What the heck are those two!?" I mumbled.

Those two are out of this world,
Almost as though machine that refused to budge followed their command.

Like they came to us somehow as though predestined when we needed them most...

"The research of Prototype 3."

Most of the Mechanical giants are controlled and powered by magic.
But this one was different compared to the others as it uses magic to possess it instead.

A very unique design compared to the other two prototypes that were found and later invested in...

Because most of these mechanical giants are controlled through multiple switches and clunky controls making it inefficient in combat but very reliable construction tools.

Prototype 1: A machine with armed projectile weapons.
Using a simple handle controls and lever to move and function.
It was the most basic of them all.

The problem with this is it's quite fragile when taking impact from any source making it worthless.
Adding any kind of heavy defenses would only cause it to reach weight capacity making it too sluggish to even follow its opponents.

Prototype 2:
Was large clunky steel of metal made for close combat.
But it was armed with a drill and grappling hooks but it suited more for mining and doing large scale harvest in farms instead.

Against giant monsters...
Well after testing it, it appears it was completely worthless as it seems to become their chew toy instead.

Prototype 3:
Was an ingenious design that was never properly utilized.
Many knowledge was lost in time thanks to the Great Rising of Monster.
Throughout the continent.

Lost magic and arts that were once prominent were gathered and collected.
A single nation was able to properly protect their belongings, knowledge, and heritage.

The Demi-human race.

Regarded once as demons who had committed a taboo against humanity and said to be monsters who took the form of humans. Was now a flourishing kingdom in the world who restored the path of magic to the world. It is said they were the ones who made island float first.

But they are quite a secretive race that refuses to mingle too much and keep most of their knowledge to themselves. Many kingdoms have attempted to claim them for themselves but...
 All that resulted was wasted resources as their ships completely outclass even our own.

I wonder if they know how these machine functions were what I pondered while I studied here and practiced every day attempting to understand it. The research for those machines was put to a startling halt all because no one could properly use it.

That was up...
Until now...

My mother and her colleagues are gathering data from each failure and movement.
They are imitating the flow of energy which both of them releases to manually control them with absurd concentration.

Each movement, each flow and how they move it with ease.

She soon discovered that both of them are actually subconsciously somehow releases a pulse of their own inner-mana and amplifying their connection within the machine, which allowed them to control it with better ease.

When the other staff tried to perform the same.
However they found difficulty in performing the task as the machine simply tried to suck their inner mana dry instead, but they confirmed that they were finally able to use it at the cost of having themselves being unable to work for the day.

It was then my mother realized that developing a tool that focuses on the flow of energy of the machine is a requirement for its use. She then commanded her staff and alter the design of the machine.

First Task: The escape mechanism needs improvement, it utilized an old escape mechanism but after the result of Talie's accident, they need a better cushion for the pilot in case a repeat was to occur.

Second Task: the flow of energy needs a certain limit of how much inner mana is consumed and create tests of how to improve and lessen the stress on the pilot.

When she confronted Talie about it, she simply replied.
『So that's why I feel tired every time I use it.』

My mother was completely shocked to see that a young girl was instinctively moving it.
Meanwhile, the other staff members who tried to use it were puking their meal and feeling ill from making their own attempt.

Third Task: The chassis and armor need more resistance against the elements.

They realized that the machines were unfortunately not resistant enough and incapable of using the ark-seals properly...

It was then...
Elemental Arcane Machine was developed as a blueprint.

Undoubtedly this will bring out a new Era for facing the giants sleeping in the lowest islands.
It's only a matter of time before they are able to synchronize a real use to them because of it...

But my mother's greatest concern was the royal crown or any powerful person using it for their own use.

Even she was aware of how dangerous such machines would be if it were to be recklessly spread.
Especially, If the pirates get their hands on it.
The odds are the island citizens would be facing terrible consequences.

She told everyone that their next creation must be kept under heavy security.

Finally the Fourth:

AI improvement.

As I gazed at this drone that was supposedly Talie's.
I wonder if that giant machine itself rejected me.
A machine of the same size as a giant beast that most people feared coupled with the capability to use ark-seals. Its own destructive force even put the pilot at risk, however, if properly developed.

I can imagine what kind of fearsome machine it will be in the future.

Surely, with this...
The people of this world can finally have a way to deal with those giant beasts lurking within the islands of ruined cities.

The current machines are simply unable to deal with them properly.
That a subjugation attempt using the other machines are said to have returned as a complete failure.

The tools that were supposed to deal with those giants were now nothing more than tools for amusement in competitions or skirmishes in the skies that the skilled few can pilot.

Rather they are often only used to buy time against the monsters in the ruins
Or used to assault an airship in a reckless charge where a single mistake in trajectory.
Would lead them hurdling towards oblivion...

But most of those machines were outfitted with ejectors that can transform into an island hopper.

Note: A small vehicle capable of flying nearby islands then recharges its power after its use.

But they are doomed if they even think of pointlessly flying in the air without land or a ship nearby.
These things usually break and become heaps of junks below us.

As for facing the giant monsters.

Not many would dare try to do such a thing as those giants had already claimed not only the lives of many but also the time and resources spent in making them, that it even pushed a powerful nation who sought to free their fallen capital by a vicious giant into a weakened kingdom who had lost its original capital.

They even placed a large bounty on the beast and gave it the name: "One-Eyed Leviathan."

Regardless...

"I'm an idiot." were the words that came out of my mouth.
I got angry at a girl younger than me and acted like a brat.
Not only did she break a few bones,
She even got sick because of that accident.

So it's only natural for her to get angry at it.

I deeply sighed.

Despite being the #1 in terms of grades.
I'm a complete failure when it comes to people.
Thus far, Milim and Fenris were the only people who understood me and looked away when I become engrossed in my love for magical and mechanical tools.

But Talie knows nothing about it.
At this rate, even her sister might start to despise me.
I won't be able to snuggle them!

(She was smitten by the two.)

They were both smaller than me which reminds me of Milim when we were younger.
I used to like those soft cheeks and now they were right in front of me once again.

Light green hair that is quite unique but isn't too bright.
Emerald eyes that shined as they mirror one another...
Oddly it was difficult to determine which was Tori and Talie.
But after observing them enough.

They seem to alter their hairstyles to its opposite every day.

but that's not the problem now...

"How do I return this without Talie breaking it?" was the real question that troubled me so...

It soon said. "My owner seems quite angry...
Though, the odds of her breaking me is rather slim with her small and flimsy hand."

I gave it a wry smile and realize it has quite an attitude for an AI...
Compared to the other models this one seems quite aggressive.

I replied to it with: "Should I return you to her to be dismantled then?"

It soon replied.

"If my owner desire's so.
Then it is my honor to become dismantled by her personally!"

This is why I love machine.
No matter how foolish or ignorant we are.
It will never betray us in its desire to serve us.

As long as we don't screw something up in its creation and develop some kind of stupid hate every living organism rebellion like the rumored Undead in abandoned Island ruins.

"I am sure everything will be fine... Right?"

________________________________________________________________________________

// Tori's picnic. //

While Tori was drinking tea enjoying the scenery, the first to wake up was Milim.
She asked a question about the collapsed man but Tori simply said to let him rest and continue their picnic.

At this point, Tori made her move as she temporarily tricked the "watchers" by creating a barrier rendering them completely invisible to it. While quietly sealing any noise from leaking in their next conversation.

「Hey, Milim...」

"Yes?"

「Did you know, that when humans carry dragons blood.
It slowly spreads and replaces a portion of their blood while extending the life of its owner?」

"Eh? EEeeeh?
Where did that come from!

And how did you know about it?"

「Those silver scales around your neck and that hair,
means you carry the blood of the light dragon race, right?」
(Her hair is silver.)

"No, I mean how do you know such a thing!"

「Because I was once like you, in my past life.」

"Eeeeh!?"

「If you don't believe me, then let me tell you when you grow up.
Those scales slowly mature and become permanent ones.

At that point, your scale becomes completely impervious to magic.
Though, it's terrible against physical blows but don't worry.

Even if they break or get stripped away it will still regrow but slower than before.」

Milim gave her a doubtful smile.

"What do you mean, I was once like you in your past life!?
And why are you telling me all this!?"

「Because you are my kin... 」She calmly said with a serious expression.

「 I am also sure your worth putting my trust in this secret of mine.」

"You don't just trust someone like that and tell your secrets!" she retorts.

「A person who would rush to help a person in need...
Is someone who I believe is someone I put my faith in.

Your a kind and gentle person inside be proud. 」Tori happily said her face went red in response.

But her expression shifts to a gentle and serious gaze.

「The light dragons hold many secrets.
Even if I am in a human body now, I intend to bring it to my grave.

Though, my real intention was to become a friend and advice you a bit.」

Tori then gazed at her chest.

「Even if your potential has already surpassed mine.」she said with a gloomy expression.

Milim who saw that swiftly covered her chest.

"What does my chest have something to do with that!?"

「Your lucky to have them,
That's all you need to know. 」

"Aren't you afraid, I'll tell other's about this?"

「Either way even if you tell others about what I said.
Its doubtful others will believe you.

Think about it a little more...」

It was then Milim realized...
Tori was way too wise and composed for a child who just blatantly threw out non-sense.
She then asked.

"Is Talie also a light dragon?"

「No, she's actually normal.
In actual fact, I was the one who taught her most of her tricks.」

After reincarnating Talie was eager to learn about magic.
Even if she carried partial knowledge, both of us still needed to measure how much we can handle.
As for me, I was learning the limits of this body.

I didn't want to have an accident and killed myself because of it.

"That's quite incredible, doesn't that mean you were holding back during the practical test."

「Of course, I called for a tie.
Simply because I didn't want any grudges between us.」

"Well, that is true...
But you act more like a child than Talie does."

「Because I am one.」Tori winks at her but Milim could only give her a wry smile and asked.

"So, how old are you? actually."

「Don't ask a person their past-life age.
It doesn't matter since I am now in a 12-year-old body.」

"Right..." she nods.

The air was soon enveloped in a soothing sound of nature around them.
However, it was still an awkward silence that Milim had begun to panic inside of her.

Tori was patient enough to wait for her to collect her thoughts as she observes her.

Originally Tori who first saw Milim was surprised to see half-blood of her kin.
But due to her past-life tie's she had been dying to ask her many questions which she could not.
Her family? The Circumstances of the Light Dragons? The Unknown Future and many more.

Even in the body of a child her concern was her own race.
Because in her life-time she had strived to renew their race that was on the verge of extinction.

She only managed to gather up to 60 of her race but it was still an extremely small number.
Making Milim one of the lucky few of her race who managed to be born as one.

300 years have passed and she wished to know their state.
She was the only source of answers, hence she bluntly exposed and confessed to her...
In hopes of knowing the state of her own race.

After a long silence.
She finally broke it.

「I'll be honest with you.
I want you to become my apprentice.」

"Eh!?"

「I can teach you how to fight and unlock the secrets of your blood.
Eventually, you will reach a point where you find those scales bothersome in your work.」

"Bothersome in my work?"

「You dabble in magical tools and artifact right?」

"Well, yeah."

「Have you experienced the tools sometimes break down and not work.
No matter how hard you try to fix it?」

"Yeah! it's been troubling me every time I was engrossed in alchemy."

「Well, those scales around your neck completely negates and erase flowing magic.
Sometimes it also releases a dispelling pulse of power that disrupts it.

To say it simply...
Your own blood and scales are the cause of it.」

Milim was shocked at what she heard.
"You're lying, right? right?" She cried out.

「It the truth...
Truthfully, I don't even know how you managed to keep your job in such a place.
Without being kicked out thus far.」

"So all this time..." She bit her thumb in a flustered state then asked her.

"Wha-what should I do...
All this time, it was my fault why Rolly and their other tools keep breaking down.
They thought it was a malfunction all this time! and kept fixing it for me..."Her face was wracked with guilt.

Uhh? Rolly?
Ah, She must be thinking about the golem that was always beside her and uses during her fight.

「I can seal it if you want me to...」

"You can do that!?"

「Yup.
But try to not tell your family about this.」

She then asked her to show her back to her, as Tori soon saw the glistening silver scale on the back of her neck.

「This will tickle a bit...」

As she dabbled in her blood.
Tori soon realized that mistake as her spirit was then forcefully dragged into a spiritual realm.

A large figure in the mist was soon in front of her, it was undoubtedly a dragon in her eyes.

『Hah! , Who dares meddle in the blood of our kin!』

A familiar voice she heard before,
At that point, she simply rushed to flee as quickly as she can from the large figure.

[Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope...]

『Impossible, you are!』

[I AM NOBODY!] she cried out in her thoughts.

『WAIT!』 it cried out but she ignored it.

She blindly ran in the mists of the spiritual realm.
Finishing the spell and conjured a portal which sends her back to her own body.

「Shit... that was close.」she mumbled.

She was panting in exhaustion.

"Is there something wrong!?"

「No, nothing is wrong, I just got dragged into something messy.」

She gazed at her scales it was now grey.

「Looks like I did it,

Your scales are now grey.
This should disable your ability to repel magic.

Though, I do be careful when you're feeling deep emotions.」

"Why is that?"

「Because it can change back to silver.
But I made it so,
that it will return to grey again after a while...」

"So, it's not permanent?"

「Unfortunately so...
But if your life is ever at risk,
do try to discover how to control it...」

"Eeeh? can't you tell me!"

「Impossible, your blood is your own.
All I can do is partially meddle in it and guide you.

The rest is up to you.」

Milim hangs her head as she realized her own blood and scales were actually a hindrance to her work.

「Don't feel too bad about it.
The silver scales can also repel magic that can save your life, you know?」

As Tori tries to cheer her up, they soon heard snoring of the young man beside them.
Both of them gave him a wry smile as they soon dragged his ass to the medic bay.

Question of the day:
If her scales repel magic, how was she hypnotized?

Reason:
The scale of the light dragon only affects what it makes contact with...
To be specific if she embraces a magical tool, if it makes contact with her scale...
It naturally breaks down.

Spells and such are broken when it makes contact with it as well.
But more often require's contact.
Hypnotism is a form of magic that is directed at the mind of the user.
Due to carrying the blood of a human she became vulnerable to it.

=3= more lore and content with Tori finally interacting with Milim.
I NEED MORE COMEDY!

13