Chapter 8: End of the Dragon-Phoenix Tribulation
1.7k 2 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Four swords appeared around Rahu. The swords had no embellishments on their hilt or blade, but they exuded a dangerous crimson light. Rahu clasped his hands together and the swords began circling around him.

"Hidden under Mount Sumeru, they are neither copper, iron, nor steel."

"The reversal of yin-yang could smelt them, how can its edge be quenched without water and fire?"

"Exterminate immortality, slaughter immortal monarchs, crimson light confines all immortals."

"Transforms all immortals into limitless miracles, golden immortal of the great firmaments shall be dyed red."

"Four Immortal Extermination Sword Formation, rise for me!"

Red and black qi formed from killing intent emerged. The two qis expanded into a giant red and black lotus that covered the entire area, trapping Hongjun, Yin-Yang Ancestor, and Kunwu Ancestor in separate areas.

Inside the formation, Hongjun used the Twelfth-Ranked Golden Lotus of Merit to protect himself against the slaughterous sword lights flying about with the Four Immortal Extermination Sword Formation. He summoned a golden staff bearing nine dragons coiling around it as he stared warily at his surroundings.

"Hongjun, oh, Hongjun," Rahu mocked. "If you had brought another helper, this seat would have been vigilant, but you can't face the Four Immortal Extermination Sword Formation without four people at the same level. This is your loss. Wait patiently for this seat to send you off and achieve the primordial origin!"


Kunwu Ancestor's face paled as he resisted the slaughterous sword lights by covering his body in a protective light. A sword that resembled a spine with twenty-eight segments appeared in his hand.

This was his top-grade innate lifebound artifact, the Kunwu Sword. He had other artifacts, but they were too weak to be of much use.

His expression turned ugly when he saw the sword light part, revealing Rahu. Above his head was a lotus, the Twelfth-Ranked Black Lotus of Destruction, and in his hand, a plain black spear. The spear was formed from the stem of the Thirty-Sixth Ranked Jade Lotus of Chaos. Both were top-grade cardinal spiritual artifacts.

"You'll be the first sacrifice," Rahu said as he charged forward with a spear thrust. "Taste my Godslayer Spear!"

Kunwu Ancestor backed off and slashed the Kunwu Sword at Rahu. The sword's twenty-eight segment split and elongated, turning almost whip-like.

Rahu snorted and continued his charge. The Godslayer Spear struck the Kunwu Sword head-on. Under Kunwu Ancestor's disbelieving eyes, his lifebound spiritual artifact shattered instantly from the confrontation. Of the twenty-eight segments, only thirteen remained attached.

Kunwu Ancestor didn't have any time to cry over his broken artifact because a black spear pierced his chest. His eyes widened as he opened his mouth to spit out blood, but nothing came out. He pushed Rahu and the spear out of his body, but he still clutched his chest.

"My soul, you damaged my soul!" Kunwu Ancestor roared in despair and madness. He could already feel his memories fading as madness set in.

Rahu raised the Godslayer Spear above his head and smashed it down like a cudgel.

At another location within the Four Immortal Extermination Sword Formation, Yin-Yang Ancestor's eyes turned sharp as he sensed Kunwu Ancestor's death. Although Kunwu Ancestor was the weakest out of the three, that didn't mean he could be so easily defeated.

Suddenly, the sword light separated, and Rahu flew out. "You're next."

Yin-Yang Ancestor didn't say needless words and summoned his artifact. A yin-yang symbol appeared behind him. This was the Taiji Diagram formed from a third of Pangu's Heaven Opening Ax.

Under the black and white symbol, Rahu felt his consciousness and mind split. He roared and forced his mind and body to connect once more. The space around his speartip distorted, diverting the black-white lights.

Yin-Yang Ancestor's eyes reflected Kunwu Ancestor's disbelief. Eyeing the nearing spear, Yin-Yang Ancestor quickly blocked the attack with the Taiji Diagram. Black light exploded from the spear tip, launching Yin-Yang Ancestor and his spiritual artifact backward. After he stabilized, Yin-Yang Ancestor stared at the Godslayer Spear in Rahu's hands with naked fear.

"Your spear can damage the soul too?"

"So what if you know? Your ending will not change!" Rahu said. He exploded forward again, spear poised.

Yin-Yang Ancestor quickly retreated. He raised his hands above his head, and the Taiji Diagram floated above him. Golden Radiance shot of the Taiji Diagram as an illusionary golden bridge came forth.

Rahu felt the space inside the Four Immortal Extermination Sword Formation change, and his expression shifted. A black light shot out from his spear tip towards the golden bridge, but it harmlessly phased through.

The next thing he knew, Hongjun had appeared next to Yin-Yang Ancestor. "I was wondering what you were trying to do, but just because you added another person doesn't increase your chances of survival. It'll only speed it up!"

Rahu reduced the range of the Four Immortal Extermination Sword Formation, causing the slaughterous sword light to condense and increase in density. In the outside world, the red and black lotus shrunk noticeably till it was only a tenth of its former size.

Dragon Ancestor, Phoenix Ancestor, and Qilin Ancestor shared a look. On an unspoken agreement, all three started to attack the Four Immortal Extermination Sword Formation from the outside.

Rahu sneered. He sensed the external attacks, but he paid them no heed. Why should he pay attention to three chess pieces abandoned by the Way of Heaven?

"Now, shall we get back to our battle?" Rahu asked, his killing intent soaring.

"Don't presume victory so soon, Rahu. I still have a few tricks hidden," Hongjun said.

"Oh? Then bring them out. This seat will break them all," Rahu proclaimed.

"Come forth, my three Corpses!" Hongjun called.

Green clouds appeared behind Hongjun, ridden by three figures bearing a seventy-percent similarity to Hongjun.

One of the three figures jumped off the green clouds. A banner the color of chaos appeared in his hands. The second figure jumped off, holding a mirror in one hand and a flag in the other. When the third figure jumped off, it also held a flag in one hand, but it held a sword in the other.

"Pangu Banner, Apricot Flag of Central Infinity, Plain-Colored Flag of West Clouds?" Rahu's face showed extreme shock as he listed the three spiritual artifacts of Hongjun's Corpses. Although the mirror and swords were also good, Rahu placed less importance on them.

Rahu no longer dared to underestimate his opponents. He rushed forward with his spear aimed at the three Corpses Hongjun released.

The first Corpse holding the Pangu Banner flew forward and blocked the Godslayer Spear. The Corpse was blown back but was otherwise unharmed.

At this time, the second Corpse shone the mirror on Rahu. A silver light burst out and captured him. Rahu felt as if everyone around him had sped up. The third Corpse came charging forward, golden sword in hand.

Rahu grabbed the sword. His skin sizzled and emitted a foul odor, but Rahu didn't care as he thrust his spear forward. The third Corpse waved the Plain-Colored Flag of West Clouds and blocked the thrust. The spiritual light dimmed, and the Corpse's face paled, but he had safely survived the blow.

To Rahu's shock, he discovered that all three of Hongjun's Corpses were only slightly weaker than Hongjun himself. Madness erupted from his eyes, and he charged forward.

Either he killed Hongjun and stepped into the Primordial Origin Realm, or Hongjun killed him and ascended instead. There was no other possible outcome.


Dragon Ancestor, Phoenix Ancestor, and Qilin Ancestor suddenly discovered that the Four Immortal Extermination Sword Formation's defense had suddenly weakened. They redoubled their efforts and blasted the red and black lotus with all their strength.

Finally, their efforts bore fruit as a single crack appeared on the red and black lotus. That single crack resulted in an uncountable number of cracks covering the whole formation. With a final bang, the lotus shattered, revealing five figures: the black-robed Rahu and Hongjun and his three Corpses.

"Hongjun!" Rahu madly bellowed.

Although Hongjun had won the confrontation, he didn't have a good expression on his face either. All three of his Corpses were clutching their chest with pale expressions—their foundation had been damaged.

Green clouds appeared behind Hongjun. His first Corpse holding the Pangu Banner returned, his second Corpse holding the mirror and Apricot Flag of Centered Infinity followed suit. Of note was his third Corpse. It had lost the golden sword and now held the Plain-Colored Flag of West Clouds and the Taiji Diagram.

"You've damaged my Corpses' source and hindered my way! You deserve death!" Hongjun roared, almost a mirror image of Rahu.

Suddenly, Rahu smiled and laughed as if understanding something. "It turns out in the end that the Way of Heaven schemed against us. You and I treated the three overlords as chess pieces, but are we not chess pieces of the Way of Heaven?"

Hongjun suddenly had a bad feeling, so he retreated, but Rahu ignored it.

Rahu's aura suddenly rose, exceeding Hongjun's by a large margin, but it was only the twilight before death. His body continued to grow and grow until it reached over a thousand li. Above his head, a world manifested. Inside, there was no life, no prosperity, only destruction.

"So, this is the Primordial Origin Realm," Rahu softly said to himself.

He raised his hands above his head and stared at the sky. "The Way of Heaven above, I, Rahu, see that the Great Desolation is incomplete. I will sacrifice my body to supplement the deficiencies. From now on, as long as one undergoes a heavenly tribulation, they must face the Inner Devil Tribulation! As long as the Immortal Path exists, the Devilish Path will remain forever eternal!"

As if to respond to Rahu's words, golden clouds of merit appeared above Rahu and descended upon him, but he didn't care. He directed one last smile at Hongjun and then self-detonated.

Although he had forced himself into the Primordial Origin Realm by force and would die in less than a day, he was still a Golden Immortal of the Primordial Origin, short as it may be. His self-detonation shattered the Western Region.

All the spiritual veins broke, mountains shattered, the land split and prosperity left. The West had now become a barren land.

When the smoke cleared, a taiji symbol appeared. The symbol faded away to reveal a golden lotus. Hongjun floated beneath the Twelfth Ranked Golden Lotus of Merit, bearing an ugly expression.

Clouds of merit descended from the sky. Compared to the one Rahu summoned, it was over ten times larger. Over eighty percent flew towards Hongjun.

Still, Hongjun's expression was sullen. He had gained a lot from this battle, but he had to bear half the cause for the West's destruction. In the future, he will have to pay back the effect. The karma could hinder him from reaching the Primordial Origin Realm.

As for the remaining twenty percent, half descended on the barren land, revitalizing it slightly so that life could appear once more. As for the last half, it was split among Dragon Ancestor, Phoenix Ancestor, and Qilin Ancestor.

Qilin Ancestor almost cursed the heavens when he received the least amount.

Still, this did not make any of the three overlords happy. They had received tremendous merit, but it could not offset the destruction to the Great Desolation the three clans caused during the war for supremacy. Because of the war, almost all the Karmic Luck of their clans had gathered disappeared. If nothing was done, then extinction would follow them.

Dragon Ancestor acted first. He sighed and then spat out the Dragon Pearl. It wasn't an artifact, but in the hands of a dragon, it could display the powers of a top-grade innate spiritual artifact. The Dragon Pearl flew off toward the East Sea.

Then, the Dragon Ancestor stared at the sky, much like Rahu had done. "The Way of Heaven above, from now on, the Dragon Clan is willing to guard the Four Seas and regulate the Wind and Rain. I am willing to offer my body to supplement the damaged lands!"

Dragon Ancestor's words echoed throughout the Great Desolation. His body exuded a brilliant light and transformed into countless tiny motes of golden light that disappeared into the skies.

"The Way of Heaven above, from now on, the Phoenix Clan is willing to quell the South's Undying Volcano. I am willing to offer my body to supplement the damaged lands!"

Seeing Phoenix Ancestor disappear into motes of red lights, Qilin Ancestor sighed. "The Way of Heaven above, the Qilin Clan is willing to transform into auspicious beasts and bring prosperity to the world. I am willing to offer my body to supplement the damaged lands!"

As the Qilin Ancestor transformed into motes of black light, the tribulation came to an end.

-line break-

In the Violet Heaven Palace on Jade Spirit Mountain, Hongjun sat in the grand hall with furrowed brows. He held the Jade Butterfly Disk of Good Fortune. After Rahu exploded, he had not recovered Rahu's half of the Jade Butterfly Disk of Good Fortune, only looting a few treasures and the Four Immortal Extermination Swords but not the formation diagram.

He fiddled with the disk for a bit and muttered, "Do I really have to become a Saint of Heaven?"

77