Chapter 41: Bifurcation
873 6 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On Kunlun Mountain, Yuanshi opened his eyes and looked up. His gaze pierced the sky of the Three Realms and into the chaos, where he saw Tongtian and Tengri clashing within the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation.

Yuanshi's figure disappeared from the central hall of Jade Mirage Palace, and when he reappeared, he was already in the chaos. He turned to see Laozi also arriving. "Eldest Brother."

"Second Brother," Laozi acknowledged with a nod.

Yuanshi sensed the other Saints arriving from the Three Realms. The first to arrive was Nuwa, who was already stationed in the chaotic boundary from her Wa Outer Palace. Second, Jieyin made his way towards the chaos above the World Nexus from the West, but perhaps in case of any accidents, Zhunti remained on Mount Sumeru. Redcloud Ancestor and Zhen Yuanzi arrived as a pair.

However, Yuanshi and Laozi didn't wait for them to assemble and directly entered the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation. Moments later, the three Saints of Heaven and one Saint of Earth stopped outside the formation.

None of them took a step into the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation, not even Redcloud Ancestor. Although they didn't think Tongtian or the Three Purities would turn their swords against them, they didn't want to risk the slightest chance. Under the Way of Heaven, it was impossible to kill a Saint, and to do so was a grave crime. However, they didn't want to test if death was possibly permanent in the chaos.

"We meet again, fellow Daoists," Jieyin greeted and observed his fellow Saints.

Redcloud Ancestor was still in the Second Heavenly Layer, while Zhen Yuanzi had not made much progress. It seemed that he had recently stabilized his cultivation base and had yet to reach the peak of the First Heavenly Layer. However, it was Nuwa that surprised him the most.

Jieyin himself had reached the peak of the Third Heavenly Layer after splitting his attention between strategizing for the West's development and protection and cultivating, but Nuwa had actually broken through to the Fourth Heavenly Layer without a sound, becoming an intermediate Golden Immortal of the Primordial Origin.

Nuwa nodded but otherwise stayed silent. Redcloud Ancestor and Zhen Yuanzi greeted him back. Due to the karma between Redcloud Ancestor and Zhunti, the relationship between Jieyin and Redcloud Ancestor and Zhen Yuanzi could only be said to be cordial at best.

Seeing silence descend again, Jieyin didn't show any awkwardness and continued. "It seems that the Three Purities intend to deal with Tengri on their own. What does everyone think of their chances of success?"

Again, no one talked, at least for a few moments. Redcloud Ancestor showed some hesitation but still spoke up. "Both Daoist Tongtian and Laozi are intermediate Golden Immortals of the Primordial Origin, plus they have their Saint Corpses. Daoist Yuanshi is even more amazing, reaching the Advanced Primordial Origin before all of us, and he likely possesses a Saint Corpse, too. Tengri will be facing five to six Saint-level experts."

"The difference between Heavenly Layers can not be downplayed," Zhen Yuanzi said, objecting to Redcloud Ancestor's optimistic analysis. "Daoist Tongtian's Immortal Extermination Sword Formation is able to trap Tengri, but it remains to be seen if she can contend with him. If Daoist Yuanshi cannot kill Tengri, then trapping him in the formation will not do much but stall for time. We will have to give up this chance and wait for the two worlds to merge fully before we have a chance at striking them down."

As the Three Realms possessed superior size and power, once the two worlds merged, Tengri would receive a minor boost while they would receive a more significant power boost.

Jieyin turned his gaze toward the Tengri still hiding in the World Nexus, "However, it seems Tengri is not at his full strength. How about it? Shall we descend and capture the second Tengri and eliminate him? This way, Tengri will not be able to display his full power for a short time."

All four Saints turned toward the World Nexus. As if sensing their gazes, Tengri shot back a glare of his own. However, he quickly averted and stared at the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation in worry.

"Alone, I would not have the confidence, but since everyone is here, how about we collaborate and exterminate him as Daoist Jieyin says?" Nuwa asked.

"Daoist Nuwa has spoken what was in my mind," Redcloud Ancestor said. His agreement also represented Zhen Yuanzi's consent.

Typically, none of them would venture into the World Nexus alone. The restrictions would diminish their strength too much, not to mention that even if the second Tengri only had a portion of his full strength, he was still in the Advanced Primordial Origin Realm. However, they had much more confidence together, and the restriction would limit Tengri's strength far more than theirs.

They descended together, but to their surprise, the second Tengri dispersed into five balls of light that shot back to the Tengri Chaos World. None of the Saints expected him to flee so decisively and were stunned.

"He flees faster than Zhunti changes faces," Redcloud Ancestor muttered.

Nuwa and Zhen Yuanzi couldn't help but stare at Redcloud Ancestor for his slip of the tongue and then at Jieyin. To his credit, Jieyin pretended not to have heard it and that all was well in the world.

With the second Tengri gone, the four of them rose above the World Nexus and into the chaos, waiting for the battle within the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation to come to an end.


"Did you think you can do as you like just because I granted you the right to spar with Third Sister?" A ruyi scepter encased in three colors of light shot toward Tengri.

Tengri averted his attention from Tongtian and slapped the back of his hand toward Yuanshi's Three-Treasured Jade Scepter. The resulting clash caused a spatial fissure to form and propelled Tengri and the jade scepter away from each other.

The Three-Treasured Jade Scepter slowed down and hovered around Yuanshi while Tengri stabilized his position. He glared at Yuanshi and charged at him. Yuanshi stood twenty-meters tall, but compared to Tengri, he was like David against Goliath.

"Leave the rest to me, Third Sister," Yuanshi said. He gave Tongtian a reassuring smile, and then the Three-Treasure Jade Scepter emitted three bright lights.

Tongtian dissolved the Allheaven Genesis Formation, storing her three incarnations back into her, and flew next to Laozi. "Eldest Brother."

Laozi only nodded but said nothing else. Then, he turned toward Yuanshi's battle with Tengri with an intense gaze. Tongtian frowned but said nothing and copied his actions. 'Is Eldest Brother in a bad mood?'

Back with Yuanshi, three lights of violet, gold, and silver circled around him. Whenever Tengri attacked Yuanshi, either with fists, claws, kicks, or spells, they would be diverted by the three lights. In turn, the three lights would shoot beams at Tengri.

However, the beams of violet, gold, and silver would only leave white marks on Tengri's skin. Only the Three-Treasured Jade Scepter itself could force Tengri to defend himself, as that was the only method Yuanshi could use to significantly injure the alien Saint.

Rather than an immortal, Tengri resembled a titan more. With a powerful body, he clashed head-on against Yuanshi's spells. He roared, and runes appeared on his skin. Although it was an alien language, all Three Purities could decipher that it was related to the Law of Wind.

Moments later, eight tornadoes swirled into existence around Tengri. He pointed at Yuanshi, and the eight tornadoes moved toward the Jade Purity.

Before they could travel far, countless numbers of sword-shaped qi materialized. They swirled together and formed eight sword tornadoes that clashed against Tengri's wind tornadoes. The eight tornadoes locked against each other, neither side giving an inch.

"Thank you, Third Sister, but I can handle myself!" Yuanshi said, turning toward Tongtian.

"You idiot! Look ahead of you, and don't lose focus!" Tongtian shouted with one of her hands still in a seal.

Like Tongtian and Yuanshi thought, Tengri was an existence similar to titans in the primordial era of the Tengri Chaos World. He was just one of many, but he defeated and devoured the others, becoming the strongest existence in the Tengri Chaos World.

One god to dominate all.

While Yuanshi was distracted, a golden light shrouded Tengri, and he blurred forward. This was one of his ninety-nine innate abilities, Blink. It allowed him to teleport to any distance his eyes reached.

Due to the Law of Spacetime Tongtian fused into Immortal Extermination Sword Formation, it severely hampered the innate ability. Instead of teleporting to where his gaze landed at, Tengri halted and moved at random intervals, creating after-image illusions.

"Being the sole hegemon of your chaos world must have rotted your ability to think. Do you think your meager innate abilities are useful against the likes of me?!" Yuanshi shouted.

The three lights circling Yuanshi entered the three jewels on the jade scepter. Their colors changed. No longer did they emit violet, gold, or silver but a dark light. Inside that dark light shimmered an infinite combination of colors and stars.

The Three-Treasured Jade Scepter shot through space, destabilizing the space within the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation and impacting Tengri's abdomen. The golden shroud stayed in place as the jade scepter rocketed him back. Left with no root, the golden shroud of space dissipated.

Behind Tengri, swords of spacetime qi emerged and stabbed him from all sides. Unlike all the other times Tongtian attacked with sword qi, they successfully pierced his skin and drew blood of blue.

Just as it seemed that Yuanshi and Tongtian had him on the ropes, a roar reverberated from Tengri, knocking the Three-Treasure Jade Scepter back and destroying all the spacetime sword qi. Not only that, but ripples distorted the space within the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation.

Tengri straightened his body, glaring at Yuanshi and Tongtian. Upon his abdomen, where the Three-Treasured Jade Scepter struck, was a circle the same color as the artifact. Cracks originated from the circle and reached every part of his body, including his face.

His blue skin began to change as images of grasslands, hills, clouds, and other landmarks appeared. No longer did his skin look like the sky, but a whole world.

He strode forward, each step firm as if he were walking on solid ground, not the chaotic space of Tongtian's formation. An oppressive aura rolled off his body, warping the spacetime around his body. It even altered the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation, forcing the latter to focus on maintaining the formation. The offensive properties plummeted and the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation could only trap Tengri now.

Yuanshi did not shy away from the oncoming Tengri. The chaotic light disappeared from his Three-Treasured Jade Scepter as the violet, gold, and silver lights flew out and circled around him once more. In his hand, the Pangu Banner materialized.

The Jade Purity waved it, and a world resembling the Great Desolation appeared on the banner. He swung it, and a disk of chaos shot forth toward Tengri. However, instead of injuring Tengri, it slipped into his skin and struck the depicted world.

Yuanshi's hands paused for a brief moment, but he continued shooting chaos disks at Tengri. For each attack that landed on Tengri, the world depicted would be destroyed little by little. The hills turned into canyons, the verdant plains became barren, and the sky distorted.

Despite this, Tengri remained unfazed, even as ten percent of the world was destroyed. His oppressive aura remained as potent as ever. Suddenly, a massive gravitational force filled the entire Immortal Extermination Sword Formation.

Tongtian grunted as she resisted the force. The Taiji Diagram appeared under Laozi to reverse the gravitational force, but he was still slowly drawn to Tengri. The worst of the three was Yuanshi, who was the closest. Tongtian tried to help Yuanshi, but it was not enough.

"Second Brother!" Tongtian cried out. Her grip on her sword's scabbard tightened, and a determined expression appeared on her face. "Come on, Eldest Brother. We have to save Second Brother."

"Wait," Laozi called out. "Second Brother is an advanced Golden Immortal of the Primordial Origin. If we engage, we will only be sending ourselves to our death."

"Then what should we do? We can't just stand by and watch," Tongtian snapped back.

Laozi stayed silent for a moment. "First, we should leave the Immortal Extermination Sword Formation and let Tengri stay trapped. I know you can't maintain the formation for long against Tengri, so I'll help you replenish your qi and strike when Tengri has no more energy."

"That doesn't help Second Brother," Tongtian said.

"That's the most optimal solution we have at the moment," Laozi said. "Any other action, and we will suffer the same fate as Second Brother. Unlike him, we aren't advanced Golden Immortals of the Primordial Origin."

"But…" Tongtian understood Laozi's logic, but her heart was unwilling. Sometimes, she wished to bash Yuanshi's face in, but he had always treated her well, unlike the legends. "I still have to try."

Tongu, Shangtian, and Shitian emerged from her body. Just as she prepared to form the Allheaven Genesis Formation a second time, Tengri suddenly doubled over, clutching his abdomen.

From her viewpoint, Tongtian saw the land depicted on Tengri's skin collapse and merge into the sky, returning to chaos. Moments later, a line from the top of his head to the bottom of his torso appeared. Before he could even utter a scream, Tengri's body split into two. And from the two halves, Yuanshi stood with the Pangu Banner in hand.

"Second Brother!" Tongtian cried out as she flew to him. "Are you alright?"

Yuanshi stored the Pangu Banner and smiled at Tongtian. "Was there any doubt?"

Ah, there was the familiar feeling of wanting to slice Yuanshi into a thousand pieces. Tongtian crossed her arms as her face turned cold. "I was worried, you know."

"You needn't have," Yuanshi said as he held his hand before his back. "As I suspected, despite his greater age, Tengri was stuck at the limit of the Seventh Heavenly Layer. I do not know how a titan like him was able to become a Saint of Heaven, but this works to his detriment."

He turned to the split corpse. "He isn't completely dead, but his soul is trapped in his body. Were he to leave it, only certain death awaits him. Well, not that death isn't waiting for him."

"What should we do then?" Tongtian asked.

"Nothing much. We just have to bring the two halves back to the Three Realms and suppress it. The Way of Heaven will deal with Tengri's soul. As for the body, we can do whatever we want with it." Yuanshi smiled at Tongtian. "I sensed that Third Sister has stepped into the Primordial Origin Realm through the Strength Path. Tengri's body should be of use to you."

Yuanshi turned to Laozi, who flew over. "Eldest Brother can have the other half."

"No, I don't need it," Laozi rejected.

"Yes," Tongtian agreed. "What about you? We are siblings. Anything good we get should be split evenly."

Laozi shook his head, "I meant what I said. Second Brother defeated Tengri and can choose what to do with the remains. However, I do not want Tengri's corpse."

"In that case, you can have both, Third Sister," Yuanshi said. 

"What, no!? Even if Eldest Brother doesn't want it, what about you?" Tongtian asked.

Yuanshi spread apart his arms. "I don't cultivate the Strength Path. It's of no use to me. It'll be better put to use in Third Sister's hand."

Tongtian's brows pursed. She looked at Laozi and Yuanshi. One didn't want it, and the other looked like he wanted to send it away at all costs. She sighed and relented. "Okay, but I'll remember this."

"What's there to remember? It's only right for siblings to treat each other like this," Yuanshi said.

Tongtian didn't say anything and glanced at Laozi. It seemed like Laozi didn't want the alien Saint's corpse, not because it wasn't helpful but something deeper. As if feeling her gaze, Laozi looked over. "Since Tengri has been defeated, let's return. The sooner the Way of Heaven can extinguish his soul, the better."

She nodded and waved her hand. The Immortal Extermination Sword Formation dissolved, while the four Immortal Extermination Swords returned to her. Outside, she saw Nuwa, Jieyin, Redcloud Ancestor, and Zhen Yuanzi waiting. All their eyes zeroed in on Tengri's split corpse.

Jieyin clapped his hands together. "As expected of Senior Brother Yuanshi, you defeated Tengri. However, it seems that his soul still lingers in the flesh."

Tongtian blinked, and she gazed at Jieyin with wonder. Had it not been for Yuanshi, she would not have known that Tengri's soul still remained in his body. However, his next words made her expression darken.

"To prevent Tengri from reviving or reuniting with his other half, we should split his corpse into several parts. Each Saint will guard a piece," Jieyin said.

Nuwa, Redcloud Ancestor, and Zhen Yuanzi felt their hearts move. Tongtian snorted. "Don't try to take advantage of the situation. Tengri was taken down by the Three Purities, and his corpse is our prize."

"Senior Sister misunderstood me," Jieyin said. "This is for the safety of the Three Realms. If anything were to go wrong, it would be a catastrophe. I'm sure Daoist Redcloud, Daoist Zhen, and Senior Sister Nuwa agree."

Tongtian ignored the hidden hope in the three Saints' eyes and stared at Jieyin. "I thank Junior Brother for your concern, but we do not need your help. We will bear the burden for any accidents."

Seeing Tongtian firm and the other two purities looking coldly at him, Jieyin relented. "In that case, I will trust Senior Sister's judgment."

"Alright, let's return," Laozi said.

Just as he was about to lead the Saints back to the Three Realms, a resounding crack assaulted their ears. They all turned toward the Tengri Chaos World to see a giant fracture running through the land. Not only that, but the chaotic boundary around the world weakened tremendously, allowing the chaotic energy to enter and assault the land.

Before the Saints could wonder what had happened, an enormous horde of the Tengri humans rushed into the World Nexus. This assault completely overturned the stalemate between the two sides. But the Saints weren't worried. At this point, the battle between those under Saints no longer mattered.

However, all the Saint's expressions changed when a cacophonous explosion erupted in the Three Realms. Snapping their gazes toward their world, they saw a giant wound marking the trunk of the Allheaven Jianmu Tree.

33