Chapter 97 – Vows For Eternity ③
76 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 97 - And For That I

"...If you want to enter the safe, then you need to take on the guardian first, am I right?"

I said that but... This is even more nerve-wracking than I thought... Dressed in a suit and leaving a bakery, I strolled down the bustling streets.

Late November, thanks to Aiku's introduction, I managed to find the ring that suited Arisa the best. Of course, it was still some ways off until the date I set for myself.

It would be pretty bad if she were to find the ring ahead of time. So, in my desperation—

"You two, help me out with this!" (Kei)

"I d-don't think we should hold on to it!" (Sachi)

“She's right! It's an engagement ring, you know?!" (Riku)

—I confided in my two best friends from middle school, Riku Ryouzaki and Sachi Sadataka.

I asked them to hold on to it for me, since I didn't know where to hide it back at home. After all, Arisa's really meticulous in her cleaning.

"Oh? We meet again, Kei." Turning back, there was a tall woman with a dignified look. Just like me, she was also wearing a suit which really suited her short gray hair.

"Hm? Ah, it's been a while, Hiyori." (Kei)

Hiyori Tsugumi, a friend of Arisa and my sisters and a senior from back in highschool.

"You look extremely different." I said.

"Is that so? Well, After I patched things with my mother back in high school, I've been getting better sleep. I've also been eating healthier." (Hiyori)

"I see. You were always tired back then." (Kei)

"Fufu, guess I was. Well, those were the results of a dysfunctional family, I guess?" Hiyori brushed it off. "Before I called out to you, you looked kind of troubled. Anything wrong?" (Hiyori)

"Right... Well, you see—" (Kei)

2 Minutes Later

"So It's finally time, huh? Back then, when I realized Kokoro and Seichiiro weren't my only worry, I was really scared..." Hiyori said with a small laugh.

"Scared? What for?" (Kei)

"My reason." (Hiyori)

"I-I see...?" (Kei)

Well, granted that we were really clingy (from what I heard) and that Kokoro and Seichiiro weren't any better, I guess it's understandable.

"You said you were heading off to Arisa's parents, yes? I'll keep the conversation short, good luck." Hiyori bowed.

Before she was completely out of hearing range, she said out loud.

“In addition to the ceremony, I'll visit again after it! Hope I see an Arisa junior by then!" (Hiyori)

By logic, that would be in a year's time, you know?! Please come shortly after... I kept to myself.

Seeing off Hiyori with a wave, I continued walking to the Kamihate's.

The house in front of me was extremely familiar. After all, I've been coming over to this house for almost a decade now. The nameplate read 'Kamihate' and as I approached the door, I rang the doorbell.

Footsteps could be heard from the inside, and in a matter of seconds, the door opened.

"It's been a while, Ms. Akina." I said as I greeted Arisa's mother Akina Kamihate.

"Kei?" She looked around and then asked, "Arisa's not with you?" (Akina)

"She's having lunch with my sisters, so it's only me. I wanted to talk to you two, is Mr. Itsuki here?" (Kei)

"Right now, no. He's out buying some things for dinner, how about you come in? Wait for him here in the meantime." (Akina)

"I'll take you up on your offer, it's a really important matter, after all." I wryly smiled.

"An important matter you say?" She looked at me with a serious expression. "Kind of." (Kei)

Ms. Akina guided me to the familiar living room, she offered me something to drink so I asked her for some iced tea. After bringing it over, she also sat down and the two of us made small talk as we awaited for Mr. Itsuki's return.

"I'm back. I bought every— Oh? If it isn't Kei. It also seems that it is just you alone today." (Itsuki)

Just in time, Mr. Itsuki peeked from the door frame as he saw the two of us seated on the sofa.

"It seems Kei has something important to talk to us about." Ms. Akina said as she invited Mr. Itsuki to sit down.

"So, what is it that you want to tell us? I think I have an idea, but I feel like hearing it straight out of you." (Itsuki)

"Right. Well, I wanted to thank you, first off all." (Kej)

"Thank us?" Ms. Akina asked. It seemed as if she was confused as to why.

"What for?" Mr. Itsuki followed.

"Well, for your support these past few years, first and foremost. I wanted to thank you both for accepting my relationship with Arisa and for placing your trust in me. I feel honored." (Kei)

During the past few years, they've been nothing but supportive of my relationship with their daughter.

They trusted my sense of judgment and of course, I never betrayed their trust in me.

"This is all too sudden, is there a particular reason for this?" For some reason, the two seemed worried.

"Please, be at ease. I have no plans of breaking up with your daughter. On the contrary." (Kei)

"On the contrary? Could it be—?" (Akina)

"Mr. and Mrs. Kamihate, I have a long way to go until I can become a proper adult, but if there's something I'm completely sure of... Is about the fact that I really love your daughter." (Kei)

She lifted me up, she accepted each and every side of me... we went to many different places together... and met many different people together…

"That's why, please—" (Kei)

Just as she said back then, she was my miracle... That's why.

"Could you please... give me your blessing to ask for Arisa's hand in marriage?" (Kei)

I did it... As I stood there waiting nervously for their answer. The couple looked at each other, and with a soft smile the two turned to me.

"We can see how much love you have for our daughter, Kei. The past few years have been a beautiful reminder of it." (Akina)

"However, could you tell me what are your plans for the future? It shouldn't be hard to explain what you will do to make our daughter happy." (Itsuki)

"—! Y-yes!" (Kei)

I explained to the two of them everything I had planned.

Ever since I was little, I've always admired my parents. They had great communication and I could see how they loved each other genuinely…

I wanted that too.

That's the kind of family I want to make. I don't want to treat Arisa just like my wife... I wanted to treat her like my other half... As if neglecting her was equivalent to neglecting me…

I also wanted my marriage to be an example to my children. I want them to know that they too, will one day find someone who will love them just as they are.

Making Arisa cry.... Is something I will associate with my failure. As a man... and as a husband.

When I finished telling all this to the two, they looked shocked but ultimately smiled.

"I see." (Akina)

"Kei Ichinose." Mr. Itsuki's voice rang across the living room. I instinctively turned and replied.

"Yes?!" My heart was pounding... and my palms were sweating. The crimson color from the sky that reflected through the window hit my face and I felt all the more nervous.

"What are you so nervous about?" He chuckled, "I think it's obvious what our answer is." He said as he looked at his wife.

"Kei." (Akina)

"You have our blessing, I hope we can get along from now on. Make my daughter happy, will you?" (Itsuki)

"—! Absolutely!" (Kei)

Just like that... I gained the Kamihate's approval. Soon after, I went over to Asahi's (Arisa's older sister's) place and told her about everything.

She shed tears of joy as she wished me luck.

With this, just one thing remained...


(A/N)

We're almost there!

Coming Next: Chapter 98 - Vows For Eternity ④

3