Chapter 100 – Vows For Eternity ⑥
188 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 100 - To The Place Where Our Hearts Will Be Connected — For All Eternity

A Decade Ago

“Say, Arisa…”

“Hm?” At the top of a hill, which overlooked a town at night illuminated by their lights, two high school students rested their arms on the handrails as one looked over the city with a melancholic and distant look on their purple eyes.

“Do you think… I’ll be able to properly move on?” A young boy asked their companion as they took in the view from the cliff. The boy was Kei Ichinose, someone who not too long ago was left heartbroken due to his unrequited love towards his childhood friend of more than ten years.

“...are you sure of your possibility to do so?” The girl, Arisa Kamihate, told him without making eye contact. She was holding her hair, which fluttered due to the wind.

The boy stayed silent, and after a little while of contemplating the lights and feeling the sweet scent of fresh air as it tickled his cheek, only a mutter left his lips. “So-so…” (Kei)

“Then that’s all I need to hear.” (Arisa)

“Huh? Wouldn’t you want a more optimistic answ—” Before he could finish, the girl locked eyes with him and softly smiled. The girl was a year older than him, and by chance found him in a park sitting on a bench… the boy’s expression at the time… was one full of sadness…

An expression that was previously plastered on her face… one that she knew all too well. “Kei, I don’t want you to give me a response that feels forced… When you’re with me, don’t try to keep appearances. Be the most honest you can.” (Arisa)

“Still—” (Kei)

“Right now, the Kei that’s standing beside me said to me ‘so-so’. Now, what I would like to know is: Will the Kei from the future also give me the same answer? Or will he reply with a ‘Definitely!’ instead?” (Arisa)

Kei stayed silent, letting Arisa continue. He just stood there… motionless, absorbing whatever Arisa had to say and reflecting with it in mind… Maybe this is what made him… what made Kei Ichinose so loved and popular around his peers.

“People change, Kei… Most people change for the better, they may not be the ones you know anymore… their current selves may be extremely different from their past selves…” (Arisa)

She knew… she knew the extent to which a person could change, and what she found the most interesting of all… was that all it could take was to be in the right place with the right people.

“I’m one of such people… One that has drastically changed from who they were… Today, I can take a step forward and believe that there’s enough beauty in life… It doesn’t take a romantic partner to fully enjoy life…” Her voice, which grew silent the more she spat them out… came to a halt as she turned towards Kei.

“Kei, look at me.” She grabbed his face with both her hands, leaving Kei stunned. At his cute reaction she only giggled and then, in the gentlest of voices… she said.

“I won’t tell you I understand your pain… After all, I myself have never been in love… But one thing I can be sure of… We’re here for you, we are here to watch over you as you get over it… and when you need help, just come and look for us… we’ll be right over.” (Arisa)

This was a scene that has been playing on repeat for many years now, a scene that reminded Kei over and over again that she was indeed right… Because even if it didn’t involve romance, Kei managed to find a place to belong and managed to find what life truly is…

Something valuable… a one-time experience…

And now, as the calendar marked exactly ten years since that day… Kei wanted to make a vow, to take care of the one who made all of this possible… To take care of his future wife… for all eternity.

Present

“This place…” As his girlfriend looked around the place, he could feel a hint of nostalgia just by glancing around, and he was sure that she also felt the same.

“Remember this place?” The place where Kei had brought Arisa, was the same place where she first took him on their first adventure after Kei got heartbroken…

It was at this place that Arisa said those magical words to him, words that even though she was just being honest at the time, changed the course of their lives from thereon… The bench, which last time was old and decayed, was no longer there and was moved near the handrails.

There were also beautiful potted plants and the lights illuminated the place all over… The town which used to overlook developed, but that didn’t take away the beauty of its lights… On the contrary it made them even more beautiful.

“How wouldn’t I? This is an important place for me after all… It reminds me of the first time we hung out after the incident… It was the start of a friendship that eventually led to me being your girlfriend…” As placed a hand on her chest, an adorable smile formed on her lips as her eyes gave off such a motherly vibe that Kei extremely loved.

“Time sure has passed, hasn’t it?” It has now been ten years since the day the two came to this place, and it has been even more since they’ve met. “Before, I was your sisters’ friend… and look at us now… We’re standing here like boyfriend and girlfriend…” She said, in a small mutter that carried all sorts of emotions.

“Remember that question you asked me that day?” (Kei)

‘Will the Kei from the future also give me the same answer? Or will he reply with a ‘Definitely!’ instead?’ Were the words Arisa used back then after Kei asked her if she thought she would be able to get over his heartbreak. “I do… to some extent, that is.” (Arisa)

“You know, I’ve never forgotten about that day… Even today, I still vividly remember that conversation as if it was just yesterday… Looking back to it… you were right, I did find my life extremely enjoyable after that. I was even able to make up with Shizuka pretty easily… Well, just like you used to say, you were always right.” (Kei)

“I think that’s a bit of a stretch… At that time I was just being honest, I was just helping a cute little junior in need, you know?” She sarcastically chuckled, as her hair fluttered she oversaw the entire city… It's been years since the last time she was here, and seeing how much the place has grown really struck a chord in Arisa.

For her, to think that every speck of light was a living being, going through their daily lives together with the person they held dear… To her that was nothing short of a beautiful thought that she always felt thankful for.

She may not be wealthy… she may not be famous… But did it matter to her? No. For her, all riches turned to rubble when perspective evolved… As society advanced, all that material wealth she could’ve accumulated will soon lose all its value… The transient nature of riches in the face of evolving perspectives, to summarize.

However, what about her partner? What about her family and friends? No matter at what point society finds itself in, she was sure that all of them will still be by her side, she was sure that this was the sole thing that will never lose value.

“So, what will the Kei of now, the future, say to me?” She said with a teasing smirk. Kei only smiled, and began to speak.

Monologue [Riku]

Even though it’s been years, I still remember that day when we bumped into each other at the shopping mall, when I interrupted your plans and asked you to enter a sweets shop with me.

Back when we were at the food court eating them away, I remember how you told me all about those places you were planning to go with Arisa. The more I heard about what you wanted, the more I began to analyze your facial expressions… something which I never really did before…

And back then… It hit me. I couldn’t help but think ‘Ah, it seems he’s starting to fall in love with her… it seems he’s getting over Shizuka.’ Or something along those lines. The longing expression you had on your face, and the happy expression you also had whenever you talked about her, I started to notice positive changes in you.

As your best friend, I couldn’t be happier… I was extremely worried when all of it went down, I knew how much Shizuka meant to you and I would’ve never understood how you would’ve felt if Sachi hadn’t reciprocated my feelings…

And now, knowing what’s to come, I can’t help but feel extremely excited. I pray for your success, and I hope that I can go and stand in front as a best man… If you haven’t forgotten about me, that is.

Monologue [Kotone]

Ever since I had a sense of reason, I loved taking photos. Maybe my obsession started when my mother showed me an album when I was little. It contained many different photos, from photos of my grandparents, to photos of Uncle Tetsuya, my father’s brother…

There were also some photos of my parents when they were in high school, they really looked different and I can still remember the face my mother made when she saw them.

It wasn’t the face of a mother, it was instead the face of a maiden in love, the happy expression on her face in the photos wasn’t at all different from the one she made now.

The only thing that was different was the situation. Sure, my mother is still very much in love with my father and vice versa, however, her happiness amplified when she had me, Karane and Kei.

And that’s why I also wanted to take photos… And in the midst of it all, I took some extremely beautiful pictures… Those were normally the photos of Kei and his girlfriend Arisa. I’ve been watching over the two since high school and knowing what comes after… I can’t help but look forward to it.

Seeing all these pictures that are immortalized moments I once lived, I look forward to adding more to this collection. Of course, this time with another family member on the way~

Say, little brother… Auntie Kotone seems like a good name, don’t you think?

Monologue [Kokoro]

If I were to tell myself that I used to hate Arisa, I would probably think I have a screw loose or something… However, that’s a fact. Back in middle school when I first met her, I hated how fake she was.

Now? Well, if it wasn’t for her, I may not be able to be with my husband like I am now… I really owe so much to you, Arisa… When Kei came to visit and told us about his plan to propose to you, I felt extremely happy…I’ve seen firsthand how much you’ve changed…

Honestly, words can’t describe how happy I feel for you.

Arisa.

Life will undoubtedly get hard, and I’m sure you will have times when your mental health is at its lowest. But I’m sure that with him by your side, you will be able to achieve great things, because that’s the type of person you’ve always been.

That’s the type of person the one I look up to has always been.

“So, what will the Kei of now, the future, say to me?” She said with a teasing smirk. Kei only smiled, and began to speak.

“I properly moved on… I managed to move on with my head high and live my life to the fullest. Everything I did back then… I have no regrets… Sure, maybe confessing to Shizuka back then may’ve been a regret… but, do you think that even if I confessed to her and got rejected, that I would be standing here? Standing beside you?” (Kei)

“Who knows, fate works in different ways… so we can’t be certain.” (Arisa)

“I thought you didn't believe in fate….” Kei chuckled.

“People change, Kei… I think that it was only because I was with you that I could analyze from different points of view and have a more open outlook in life… You’ve changed me Kei… you really did.” (Arisa)

Just as Arisa said, fate worked in different ways. They’ve met many people since then and they’ve separated from others too… But perhaps one day all of them will look back at that moment and laugh, as they catch up over some snacks and fine wine.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is uncertain… but today…

Today’s a gift, why else would it be called ‘present’ otherwise?

All of a sudden, Arisa felt a soft touch on her lips, she felt the soft touch of Kei’s lips locked with hers. She made no attempt to push him away, she just placed her arms around his neck and savored the moment, the kiss was long, a minute? No… perhaps more than that.

Well, nothing of that sort mattered. After all, they had all the time on the word… Yes, all the time in the world… “Thank you, Arisa… For reaching out to me on that fateful day, for taking care of me without looking for anything in return… You’re just such a wonderful woman…” (Kei)

Arisa happily smiled at him and nodded, then Kei placed a hand on her cheek and soon moved it over to her hair. He played with it for a good minute, and then whispered, “You still use it, huh?” (Kei)

What he referred to as the sunflower hair clip that Kei had gifted her the day he confessed, the day that the two of them were no longer just friends and were officially dating.

“Of course I still use it, it’s an important memory after all…” She smiled as she briefly touched it with her fingers. “I've gifted you many things, have I?” (Kei)

“You did… but this handkerchief and the hairclip are the most precious to me…” She said in a sweet whisper. The handkerchief with her name embroidered in it, a gift Kei gave her on December 23rd… exactly ten years today.

And the sunflower hair clip, something that symbolized their relationship taking the next step, from something casual to something a little more serious.

And finally… “Arisa, right here, right now… I want to make a promise with you…” (Kei)

“What kind of promise?” Arisa said, a little confused. The city lights behind them made for beautiful scenery. Kei knew that this place would usually be secluded even with the renovations, so he chose such a place for a milestone like this. Just the two of them with their feelings laid bare… No tricks, no lies, just two people who deeply loved each other.

“A promise that stands for all eternity, something that time itself will never overwrite. A truth that can never be denied.” (Kei)

Kei Ichinose & Arisa Ichinose Will Love Each Other For All Eternity

Such a statement was what Kei wanted to achieve, and for that he needed to take the next step. “Arisa, first of all… can I ask you a really simple question?” (Kei)

“G-go ahead.” She didn’t know why, but her heart was pounding so loudly it wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that Kei could hear it. “Even when I’m old, would you still love me? Even when I’m at my lowest, would you still be proud of me?” (Kei)

Even more nervous than before, Arisa answered back, “I will, that’s a girlfriend's duty, is it not?” (Arisa)
Kei only shook his head, “You’re misunderstanding me, I don’t want you to make this promise as my girlfriend… Well, let me change your position real quick.” Kei asked Arisa to sit down, which she did… and right now, everything clicked for her. The situation she was in and why Kei brought her here…

Kei kneeled, and from his pocket, took a small black box… and Arisa’s eyes widened, “K-Kei…?” (Arisa)

“Arisa Kamihate, your laughter, your presence – they’ve become the very heartbeat of my life. With each passing day, I fall more and more in love with you… To the point that I can no longer imagine a future without you. Even if we’re not here anymore, even if any sign of our existence deteriorates, I know that the fact that this moment existed would never be denied… That’s why…” (Kei)

As Kei opened the box, a beautiful and dazzling round-cut diamond, which was meticulously set in a prong enhancing its brilliance even further… The diamond was not just a gem… but Kei’s symbol of undying love for Arisa, it mirrors the depth of their connection. This was also a symbol of the beautiful journey that awaited the two… a journey that they’ll be embarking together.

“Will you share the laughter, the dreams and this love that will grow stronger each passing day? Will you be my partner in marriage? I can confidently say that I’m ready to start this next chapter with you, and I hope you’re too… So… Will you make me the happiest person and say ‘yes’?” He did it… As Kei peeked deeply into Arisa’s different reactions, he could see how her face changed by the second.

Ten years ago, during this same day, the two met up for an outing that heavily determined what they felt about each other… It gave them a clear answer to the question they mostly needed a solution to.

Arisa Kamihate Fell In Love With Kei Ichinose

Kei Ichinose Fell In Love With Arisa Kamihate

Ever since then, the two have been inseparable, so there doesn't need to be much suspense on Arisa’s answer, right? Ultimately, Arisa smiled, a smile that was even more beautiful than the most luxurious gem out there. A smile that only Kei could see… a smile that was for him and only him.

“Yes! Yes! Of course I will!” Arisa threw herself into Kei’s arms. “All these years together and yet you still manage to make my heart skip a beat…I mean—! Look where we are! Talking about forever… Yes, forever, hehe~ It will be our norm from now on…I can’t wait for this next chapter and all the beautiful memories that will come with it… Kei—” (Arisa)

“Nhn?!” With excitement, Arisa stole Kei’s lips— her future husband’s lips.

The air was filled with the soft whispers of the wind, the soft whispers of a gentle breeze. The world seemed to pause, as if celebrating by letting them live their moment, it let them savor the sweetness of their milestone. They exchanged smiles, and the distant echoes of nature’s symphony made for a fitting soundtrack to this love story.

As the two walked hand in hand, the world once again witnessed a vow that would never be broken. Ten years ago, even though Kei loved someone else first, many ups and downs brought him to this moment. Even if the world wanted to see him give up and on his knees, he persevered and took the hand of everyone that stood by his side.

Kei Ichinose & Arisa Ichinose Will Love Each Other For All Eternity

This was no longer a simple statement, this was a truth that will forever be buried within the earth’s core. A truth that no one can deny, a truth that time will never erase.

AI Generated BTW

Story Arc 9: Vows For Eternity [END]

Coming Next: Epilogue ①

5