04
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So sleepy. Didn’t get much sleep yesterday. At least it's my day off today. As I went to my usual cafe, a convoy of ambulances sped by. Many whispers to share the news but many more ignore them.

A soft chime sounds followed by a welcome from the waitress.

“The usual right?”

Just a nod before sitting on my usual spot by the window. The cafe is quiet today. More than usual as patrons speaking in hushed tones. As I tried to listen in, a loud chair dragging sound broke the silence. All eyed my table before all returned to their own whispers. Then the Detective sits in front of me.

 

“I need your help”

“Didn’t you have other people for this?”

“That’s the problem, there’s three new things. Cassandra and Jeff already take care of one each”

 

The red head and the alcoholic. Then my usual coffee arrived. “And your last guy?”

“Bill is still recovering. You know I won’t find you unless necessary”

I took a sip and looked outside to this dreary city.

 

“Look, just do what you usually do. Find out their rules or make one for them.”

“Why three so suddenly?”

 

His face twisted with me changing the topic. He always hated when the conversation took a turn.

 

“Heard from old Joe that you still refuse to name anyone. Not even yours.” 

 

I look back at him on his last comment. Smirking as he thought he had touched some spot. As for why, just a little bit then I can afford a second hand car. Then I can safely leave this city, no need to make attachments.

 

“Christ man, you act more like them than us!” He purposefully said this out loud. Drawing the attention of the entire cafe.

 

I turn towards the cafe and they quickly return to their previous activities. Then back to looking outside. Silence fell on the table. This continues on for some time.

And on

 

And on.

 

“Allright.” He finally relent. Then he leans forward. “I wasn’t supposed to share this. The council suspects it is related to the amount of people immigrating here. You know that many locals move out of the city and sell their property cheap.”

 

Of course. Who wants to live here? I will also leave, just need to save up some more.

 

“Then people start to move here from everywhere. They might have brought things with them.” He continued

Not might, they are bound to bring something with them.

 

“So… Will you help?”

 

Thought about it for a while. The sooner I have the money, the sooner I left.

 

“Double”

“Done”

“Where?”

“That new ugly building downtown”

“All right. Tell my boss he still need to pay my shift while on this”

“That’s easy. Oh, and if you could, finish this before the..”

“Festival” I finished his sentence

 

Paid the coffee and left the shop. There’s still time, better get some big lunch.

It’s going to be a long night.

 

I am new to the site, what other tags should I add to better represent the story?

0