245. opportunities.
57 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

October 22, 1994.

Three days since Billy had received the news that he was now a public figure, but he expected it. The fiscal year was in full swing, and his multiple investments over the past three years were beginning to yield conclusive profits. He had a balance that increased with the sale of toys; the hotels had reservations throughout the rest of the year, and the video games were selling at unbeatable limits. ID Software would have to account for profits of nearly 36 million dollars.

The Tomb Raider company continued the development of the game, Tomb Raider, but the expansion for a third production team, this time led by John Carmack, and a fourth production team led by John Romero, now occupied the three-story building in Kansas City.

Alexa Riley, delegated her functions, which were now in the hands of an administrator, Richard Boll, an acting administrator who closely monitored the work at ID Software to ensure that the video game production team didn't fall behind and could continue their common activities.

Richard Boll studied at a public school in Kansas; however, his work didn't stop there. Beyond that, the opportunity they gave him was a conscientious job that he did in his multiple jobs in the video game industry, first as a salesman, and then as an office worker with master's degrees from two private universities in Texas. Now, with a large annual salary, he proved himself.

For three months, he was in charge of creating four solid video game creation groups, following the line of projects at his disposal, with the plan delivered from the parent company. He first created a third team, led by John Carmack, for the expansion of video games from the Doom and Quake series.

While the fourth team would be responsible for creating franchise games, as they were called in private documents, Lux Party was a dice board game with multiple games. The challenge was to win using a character from the entire copyright library, which currently enabled 8 playable characters, including Crash Bandicoot, Professor N. Cortex, Coco Bandicoot, Woody the Cowboy, Buzz Lightyear, an animated version of Doom, Pikachu, and the protagonist of the Shaman King saga.

With the four teams constituted, the third team delved into different creations. The next game, Forza Horizon, a card game that aims to animate cars from different brands, has only been touched on minimally by the first team, which is the largest in terms of programmers, designers, and leaders. They strictly follow the programs delivered by the parent company, but for Forza Horizon, no clear notice or program has been given.

They observed from a distant side how the video game industry was developing.

-Yes, I think we can use the money to expand the industry to a company that helps us see our video game production from another angle. The trend is up, and the new machines, recently from Japan, are already considering continuing with the 3D animation method. If we monopolize a studio with good projection, it can help us improve our work, - said Richard Boll.

Anne Hall was surprised. Lux Animation Company didn't meddle in the money produced by its branches, but the dramatic increase in sales and the accounting reports showed that ID Software was growing by leaps and bounds.

- The opinion is relevant. Have any companies given suggestions for the negotiation and expansion of ID Software? - asked Anne.

-Well, one company has caused a stir: Interplay Entertainment. Under the alliance of Parallax Software, they have created several video games, especially the video game Descent Freespace, which is a novelty in terms of 3D animation technology. The work could be substantial. If we ally with them or purchase this company, we can improve our technical capabilities, - said Richard Boll.

-I'll look into it. Start preparing everything for the purchase of Interplay: information on what video games they handle, their personnel, costs, expenses, debts, successes, everything. The idea is reasonable, and as long as we establish a limit, we can make the purchase of Interplay and Parallax Software, - said Anne Hall, thinking about expansion.

When Richard read about Descent, two important things became clear:  - a first-person shooter game known for its innovative 3D movement system and frenetic gameplay. - With Billy's innovative ideas about game creation, merging that innovation with ID Software's system and engine would advance by leaps and bounds.

-Of course, I have other companies that I feel have a lot to offer, but that one is the most interesting. However, I'll look for the most relevant ones in the market, - said Richard Boll.

The company was clear: he had to convince his boss of an expansion. Perhaps only a well-done job would allow him a quick promotion. He now directs a company recognized in the market for multiple video games.

*******************************************************************

-We confidently have the new action game from the ID Software series, - said Alexa Riley with a sigh of relief. Facing the predetermined delivery of Tomb Raider, of the seven games she was tasked with creating for the company, this was the third. She could see the hungry eyes of all the programmers striving to learn every gram of information and improve. The game had many challenges.

-No doubt, although we can still edit some parts that deserve better treatment, - commented Dave D. Taylor.

Group one consisted of the Riley spouses, Camil, Coleman, Dave D. Taylor, Jessica Roman, and Andrew Fisher.

-Let Pixar take care of it. They'll facilitate a smooth transition that our designers have projected and it'll take them much less time. Just make sure to note all the important details that our game has begun to develop, - said Alexa.

As a team leader, along with her husband Brian who followed orders diligently, Alexa constituted the most creative part of the program, but Brian was the force to be reckoned with his keen ability to detect the slightest flaws, patterns, clues, beginnings, and analysis form, from the finest details of the work to the essential intricacies.

-This was a challenge in many aspects, - Alexa commented aloud to the members of her group. --The game is smoother, with space enhancements, more details, and new tools the game needs to use, like establishing contact with cars, motorcycles, different types of electronic equipment, weapons, campfires, inventories, and more. Animals with artificial patterns and villains with more tactical intelligence. Puzzles and scaled, giant maps that shone and had to be solved perfectly. -

-I don't doubt it, I even think the car game will be much simpler. Accelerate, brake, crash. What could go wrong? - questioned Camil, a computer engineer from the University of Massachusetts.

Alexa sighed. They still didn't know their boss, a person who only knew how to do two things and one of them was to exceed the creative limits of the company, from new gameplay profiles, maps, aesthetics, designs, and graphical improvements.

-Electronic Arts has a car game. We'll study how they designed the cars; however, we might face another 3D challenge, - responded Alexa.

She wasn't wrong. The first challenge was the graphics, the second step was to compose numerous cars. They hoped to form alliances with different car brands, focusing on commercially successful brands. The second step was the complexity of the tracks and the game's artificial intelligence and competitors.

...

2