263. family life.
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Richard Carson didn't keep Billy waiting, but his arrival was unmistakable when Jeffrey Carson, his uncle, appeared alongside Helen Carson, who was distinguished by her gray hair and dominant attitude over all her children, grandchildren, and relatives. Gwyneth was still there, somewhat nervous but happy with how things were unfolding as she met Billy's family. Helen Carson's prolonged gaze was just the beginning, even though she didn't speak aloud.

-My dear boy, you're so tall and mature now. I can see you even have a beard. I recently watched the Stargate movie released in June. My grandson, although shy, did a great job, - Helen Carson said, still in disagreement with Billy's acting aspirations, although she didn't want to scare off the boy who had so much of Thomas as well as Richard in him, who would most likely shut down in the face of objections.

-Grandma, what a joy to see you, - Billy said.

-I'm glad to see you too. I visited twice last year, but all your projects kept you busy. I hope now that your father is married, we can have more time together as a family, - Helen said.

-Of course, Grandma! - Billy exclaimed, somewhat mindful of his grandmother's jabs.

Jeffrey was there with his rough appearance; the way he behaved resembled the tales his father told about his brother and the contaminated upbringing under their grandmother's influence, which caused a division in his childhood. His father rejected this to the point that he decided to cancel all the rules set by his mother and move from Texas as far away as possible.

-Jeffrey, - Billy said, receiving a grunt. Both got into the car; three hours of driving awaited them. Gwyneth was close to him, gripping his hand tightly, feeling somewhat timid as all her practices went out the window.

-Is everything okay? - Gwyneth asked, feeling uncomfortable seeing her grandmother's hostile demeanor and now her uncle's hostile gaze toward Billy.

Billy felt a desire to see Patt, his grandfather's friend, a man who always made him laugh with his laid-back attitude towards all sins, diverse as they were, like his excesses in activities.

-They're somewhat complicated, they're as they should be, and we're as we should be. Our activities will always be judged by my grandmother. She's somewhat closed-minded, - Billy said, in a slight whisper.

-That sounds rather harsh. My parents are hippies; family shouldn't be like this - Gwyneth said, surprised by the cold atmosphere enveloping the air.

The journey continued swiftly and without remorse. Many times when the Carson family gathered, it was usually only Richard Carson who was genuinely happy with everyone, except Jeffrey. However, the battle between them was a given due to Jeffrey's behavior towards Thomas, which displeased him. Now everyone was closed off, thinking they should follow a course of action: one was to accept the burdens, and the other wanted to resolve the issues.

The house of their grandparents, a small house near the city, had been replaced by two significant events. First, Jeffrey Carson was bequeathed the family estate, something advised by Helen and opposed by Thomas, but eventually fulfilled—a small house in the city due to their old age.

-Your bed is on the same floor as always, although unfortunately, we didn't expect you to come with visitors. There's a mattress you can use, - Helen Carson said.

-Where's Grandpa? - Billy asked.

-He's getting his medicines and medical check-ups. He'll be here by noon, - his grandmother replied.

-Thanks, Grandma. We'll make do, - Billy said, bringing Gwyneth along with him, both laden with two large fabric suitcases. The bed wasn't what they expected, bought for a thirteen-year-old.

-Well, we'll probably learn to sleep on top of each other. The idea of sleeping like teenagers seems romantic, with a hint of secrecy... Did you bring that girl, Alice, your ex-girlfriend? - Gwyneth asked, as Alice was more alive in her thoughts than usual. She had heard all kinds of rumors and, finally, the conversation with Billy on the balcony about Alice had piqued her interest. Billy had left worried, thinking he would go straight to see her, but he returned as soon as he left. She had that vein of knowledge.

-Yes, - Billy replied, wanting to close the conversation without lingering.

-I'll go get some fresh air, - Gwyneth said, closing the conversation, feeling the ex-girlfriend gaining more and more power.

They spent half a day in the shade, although the air was warm, occasionally cold winds blew, chilling Texas like snowflakes, bringing many problems as the frost tended to damage crops and occasionally kill cattle. The seasons were always as volatile as expected. When his grandfather entered with a cane and a bald head, old age had taken its toll. He looked worn-out, his eyes more squinted, much sadder. Time had been ordered like the precursor that wears life down and ultimately condemns roles to the brief day of men.

-You look worn out, - Billy said.

-Bah, what hurts me the most is that your grandmother is now on my case. She sold and gave away all my alcohol reserves, but what's important is that you've been living a happy life. Hahn, you remind me of myself in my prime, - Richard said.

-Grandpa, it's great to see you again, - Billy added as he approached, noting all the times his grandfather brightened his day and supported him.

-I thought I'd die before seeing you, you damn ingrate. It pains me to see that my grandson only chases after women and not his constantly ailing grandfather, - Richard Carson said, looking towards the kitchen and shouting, - Helen, bring me two oranges and something for the boy. He hasn't eaten anything since he arrived. -

-I'm fine, Grandpa, - Billy reassured him.

-Bah, you're a fool. Since you're a guest in my house today, there won't be a barbecue, but we can go out to eat at the restaurant, Richard said, savoring the sweet food dishes. They both approached, with Gwyneth willingly helping in the kitchen alongside Helen, who closely observed her guest's actions, from cooking to preparation, order, and if she could serve Billy.

Something ingrained in her blood.

-Where did you learn to cook? - Helen asked.

-In Spain. An exchange program. I did my best to learn some dishes there, but overall, my mother taught me how to cook, - Gwyneth replied.

They had a traditional lunch—beans, tortillas, roasted chicken, kimono, and corn balls—all lovingly prepared, with classic salads made to complement the meal, though it wasn't traditional. Everyone ate with great gusto. As the conversation at the table continued more calmly after Richard's humorous interjections, even Helen softened, seeing Richard so happy that his previously stern words were now cordial, gentle, and full of promises.

-Billy has always liked them slender, - Richard said.

To the surprise of the blonde, who couldn't help but laugh, Billy blushed, and Richard's hearty laughter didn't keep him waiting either.

-He's been very decent in showing how much he appreciates my charm, - the blonde said.

**************************************************************

The next day, both were already situated nearby. Each of the present family members had a meeting. Jeffrey's wife was undoubtedly a different woman from Jeffrey himself— a homemaker with five children, she held Billy in high regard. Even though he didn't have a very strong relationship with the family, he never forgot about Christmas and birthdays.

Even if he got his youngest son Aaron's birthday wrong by a month, it was still a nice touch.

-Savannah, have you seen my meeting shirt? - Jeffrey asked from a distance.

-I ironed the gray suits you bought for last Christmas, - Savannah replied.

Jeffrey shrugged and grabbed the suit hanging in the bathroom. It was better this way; he had to leave to pick up his father and mother. Savannah, who knew his intentions, knew he planned to go get the grandparents.

-Billy will take them there and bring them back. I hope you help Colton organize the tables. Your friends will be here soon; yesterday you mentioned setting up the tent. I don't expect people to arrive and do all your chores, - Savannah said.

The barbecue day was approaching. The Carson family had one last gathering before joining Thomas's wedding.

...

2