4. dark horse Comics.¨
1.1k 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Wake up. - said Thomas.

-Today is the big day. We have a meeting in San Jose, it's an hour and a half by road. - Mr. Carson said, wearing a blue apron and a business suit.

-Dad, five more minutes. It's too early, and the meeting is not until 10:00 a.m. - Billy said.

When he didn't hear a response, Billy continued.

-I'm sleepy! - Billy shouted.

-I told you not to stay up watching movies too late. - Thomas Carsen mentioned.

-Billy pondered his response but said, - Father, I needed inspiration, and what's more inspiring than watching the cartoons that have filled the lives of countless children with happiness? Besides, I couldn't sleep; I was a bit nervous.

-Well, get up, take a shower, and I'll wait for you in the kitchen in thirty minutes. - Mr. Carson said, leaving the room.

-Okay. -

Stretching in the morning is always a strenuous job, Billy thought.

In recent years, his father has been improving his cooking skills. He usually prepares simple dishes. He dated a woman from Peru for a few years, and ever since, his dishes have had an indecent amount of curry or pepper in them. Billy still doesn't understand where his father's penchant for curry comes from.

As time passes, the meeting with Dark Horse Comics and the dream, goal of publishing comics is near. About the staging of new comics that will change the history of art, according to the prior negotiation with Mr. Mike Richardson and Neil Hankerson.

Both figures are the two main managers of the company, and they have a recently established distribution chain. They are looking for new artwork for their publication. They have had a dispute with Marvel Studios and the property rights for Star Wars comics about licensing permission, a signing is something they are searching for from the bottom of their hearts and pockets.

According to Thomas Carson, the purchase of Charlton Comics is a joint purchase. It would make them partners with Dark Horse Comics, establishing a second headquarters in San Francisco - and another in San Jose, an impossible dream.

Dark Horse Comics (DHC) already has a distribution chain throughout the United States through a logistics company that charges them a shipping percentage nationwide. However, they do not have their IPs. Their sales development is based on licensed works like "Terminator, Aliens, Robocop, and Predator."

With that in mind, the idea is to purchase Charlton Comics, which they couldn't part with at the time of their liquidation, the comic giants ate everything. However, the printing presses are still alive, and a few other things.

They made a joint purchase of $80,000 for the special letterpress printing department for color comics.

Charlton Comics started in 1945, and at its peak, it had its main headquarters in Connecticut, New York, and Derby. They had a giant printing press that allowed them to survive through their dark years until their total dissolution in 1984. After several negotiations, they gave us some special machines purchased in 1980 before the comic market went crazy.

Thomas seems to have decided to invest in his son's designs when he saw the talent. He may not know much about art, but he understands business, and now he's part of a small partnership with Dark Horse Comics.

In 1989, the company Lux Animation was created, a comics company that will be under the care of Dark Horse Comics for marketing and distribution throughout the United States, as the LUX label of DHC. They will share operational accounts for 30% of the sales.

Today's meeting with Charlton Comics is for the purchase of Captain Atom. The IP of Captain Atom is not highly valued at the moment, but it will be appreciated by DC Comics after the acquisition. The reason for this importance is its potential sales and its connection to the Justice League.

At the moment, the purchase of Captain Atom is valued at $15,000, and it won't be handed over to Warner Comics as a separate copyright sale. Despite using his last savings to buy Charlton Comics, the purchase of Captain Atom is a loan that he will have to repay with the future profits from the upcoming series.

Although his successful career as a lawyer has given him the freedom to invest, he is just as strict with Billy as his father and grandfather were. They don't give anything without imparting a lesson, in this case, about the dangers and costs of a business. $15,000 in this era is a ridiculous price, and in 20 years, the purchasing power of that $15,000 will be half of what it is today.

Before the famous meeting with the CEO of Charlton Comics, Thomas invited Mike Richardson to discuss the interest in bringing Captain Atom into a creative collaboration between the two to strengthen the alliance between Dark and Lux.

-What's the purpose of the meeting with Mr. Richardson? - Billy asked.

-It's about the titles we'll be willing to publish: your series Slam Dunk and Ghost Report/Yu Yu Hakusho. They will initially be published in black and white due to our limited capabilities with color printing. But according to your ideas, they won't follow the same pattern as Samurai Jack and Hellboy, which will be your first works in color. - Thomas Carson said.

-I still don't understand, Dad. I thought it was about a joint development. - Billy said.

-You're right, but it's also a meeting of recognition between the parties. It's good that Mike knows who you are and who's the mind behind Slam Dunk. - Thomas said.

No errors at all!

They agreed to 30% distribution for Dark Horse Comics and 70% for Lux Animation, with a partnership contract of 6 years starting in 1989. After seeing the promising designs, Mike Richardson didn't refuse and was quite supportive. He's a comic enthusiast and not a typical businessman. Most other companies were demanding an acquisition of at least 80% of the copyright and a 50% market share on sales.

Mike only asks for 30% for the partnership, as well as the exclusive publication of your other comics in his company during the six years of the contract. They're the kind of company you're familiar with, advocating for the protection of comic creators and seeking fair compensation, whether through buying the work or paying royalties.

Thomas, sensing your doubts, responded.

--I suppose that as more money comes in and the comics gain a larger fanbase, merchandise, TV, and film rights will become highly profitable. If there are offers, we're confident that they will come. Dark Comics has connections with a Fox network producer, and visibility is in the air - said Thomas.

This benefits Dark Comics as well because it allows them to sell the comics, and when they become famous, they can leverage their interests to secure licenses or deals.

For now, the company has started with the distribution of the Alien, Terminator, Predator, and Robocop series. Some Japanese manga like "Akira" are contributing to an acceptable market share in supermarkets and comic specialty stores. But it's not booming like it will be in the mid-'90s.

-All right, we've reached our destination. - Thomas Carson said.

They arrived almost twenty minutes before the scheduled meeting time, and Mr. Mike was already sitting in the café with a notepad on the table, featuring some rough sketches and notes in the margins, a habit acquired in his youth.

-Mr. Richardson, - Thomas inquired.

The gentleman sitting at the table smiled and got up to greet both Thomas and Billy, shaking their hands. His deep, cheerful blue eyes were quite a contrast to Billy's memories of his younger self. Mike Richardson seemed to radiate a freshness that set him apart from many others, especially considering he was nearing fifty.

A pleasure to meet you, Thomas, Billy. Please, take a seat. - Mike said. - Although the steps have already been worked out, it's always good to meet my new partner in this venture. I've been pleasantly surprised by the drawings you've shown me and the future development of the characters.

-That's right, the young Billy has been drawing for a year and a half, and these two series. I'm eagerly looking forward to the market boom after the joint release of these series. - Thomas Carsen added, his thick honey-colored hair emphasizing his features.

-I wholeheartedly agree, especially with the Slam Dunk series. When I read the first two volumes, I could only exclaim, that in a country that claims basketball is a cultural sport, there are very few people who genuinely attempt to exploit this franchise as a comic tool. - Mike sighed. - What led you to come up with such an innovative series? I see you're using concepts from Japanese manga in your drawings, but the bold and simpler lines give it harmony.

-Anything to say, Billy? - Thomas Carsen asked.

-I agree, sir. I enjoy watching sports with my father, and I'm interested in creating an American football series as well. The idea arose from how much fun it is to play basketball and not perform well. - Billy replied.

-Have you started sketching the outlines for the upcoming arcs? - Lux Animation's partner asked again.

-Yes, I want to imitate the famous Captain Tsubasa series, which is Japanese. The concept of achieving impossible feats never before seen in world sports, Mr. Richardson. - Billy said with a touch of excitement.

-That can only be good news for Dark Horse Comics. - Mike stated.

Thomas, who watched the conversation with newfound vigor, chimed in. - Yes, with the contacts you've provided, Mike, the development of this hub as a publishing port for the entire country is perfect. We've implemented a special design for sales. We call it the "Comi-boon," a compilation of comic issues in a special book that contains a special arc of the series. Because Billy mentioned the continuity of the comics, the idea of bundling ten issues into a single book without limitations for all fans is perfect for business. - Thomas concluded with joy.

He took out a blue folder from his briefcase containing data for approval. A market study had been conducted, and each comic would have a selling price of $1.99, while a Comi-boon would be priced at $10.99. Each comic printed in the garage had a cost of 10 cents, and each issue would consist of 30 pages, while a Comi-boon would compile 10 issues.

edit.

that´s chapter 4. Have a good week.

disclaimer: This is a science fiction series.

22