Chapter 108
863 8 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lan Xiaohui spends most of the day walking through the city. Hu Yan had given Lan Xiaohui the week off to prepare for the Martial Meeting, but I know that my owner wants to go back to the restaurant and work.

Lan Xiaohui does not do well when she has nothing to do. It doesn’t help that her mood has taken a negative dive after witnessing her poor ranking in the Inner World challenge, but that is to be expected. Since she cannot use the Inner World Mystic Sword Formation, her best alternative option is to cut up the remains of dead creatures that have tough skin and organs.

As for earning her wage, I strongly doubt that concept even enters her considerations.

Does someone with Lan Xiaohui’s background — coming from a wealthy and prestigious family — even understand the value of money? Somehow, my owner does not strike me as someone particularly well-versed in the world outside her ivory tower.

Even now, she tries to make herself inconspicuous by walking far away from everyone else but fails to realize that her most attention-grabbing quality is at full display — her appearance. And though we’ve passed by countless cultivators who have all been bestowed with a fine, attractive appearance due to their cultivation, Lan Xiaohui has something they do not: a profound Physique.

Certainly, there are a few of those who practice martial arts where the focus is the strengthening of the body — like the very physical art of bare-handed combat — but they, with their fists bound in strips of cloth, do not have the same profoundness.

Lan Xiaohui’s skin may as well be carved from porcelain jade — quite literally. Her physique is a variation of my very own [Black Jade Body]. Cultivating the body is not simply about strengthening muscles, bones, and tendons, but shifting the body towards becoming something more — something like a Heavenly Treasure.

Lan Xiaohui, simply because of her Physique, is by far more advanced on that path than those Foundation Establishment or Core Formation cultivators we pass by.

While I am unqualified to remark on the subjective quality of her beauty, the fact that her body is akin to a Heavenly Treasure is, by my standards, very attention-grabbing.

Fortunately, while she does draw a few curious gazes, it does not lead to any incidents. I understand why Lan Xiaohui does not want to be seen and, more importantly, recognized by her former fellow disciples. She wants to remove herself from that past and grasp an unreachable future.

During this time, we visit many of the districts and Lan Xiaohui remarks about a particular tradition that occurs this time of the year.

“The people here hold a Red Banner Festival, to honor the hero Lu Long, who defended the city a long time against monsters,” she explains, pointing to the many red banners flying from the nearby buildings.

I noticed the banners and thought that it was out of the ordinary, as they were not there the last time we were on the streets.

“It will begin in earnest in a few days, and I’ve heard many things about it, but have never seen it myself,” Lan Xiaohui says. “I have always wanted to see it.”

Her hand squeezes my hilt as she speaks those words and I feel a great deal of regret in her heart.

I understand why. She has always wanted to see it with someone. Now that someone is the reason she is here, in this city.

“We can see it together,” I tell Lan Xiaohui.

Managing my owner’s mood is a vital part of the process. Even if she is unhappy about the past, as long as her mood is soaring high, she can cultivate and evolve faster.

Lan Xiaohui chuckles. “It is different,” she says. “I would look strange if I was dressed up for the festival, but all alone.”

“But you are not alone.”

Lan Xiaohui’s cheeks redden at my words, and I fail to comprehend why. When she is nervous, she tangles her finger into her hair, and this time is no exception.

I encourage her further. “You might die in less than a month,” I remind her. “Even if these lesser intelligences think you are inappropriate at this festival, if you die it won’t be any of your concern, and if you succeed, you will be a disciple of the Galaxy Sword Sect — who will dare think ill of you?”

Lan Xiaohui laughs at my words and nods. “That is a good point,” she says, her tone filled with mirth. “You really… want to go? With me?”

I don’t particularly want to go — this Lu Long means nothing to me and honoring him is not worth the energy cost. But my owner is more important to me than some character who is more likely to be fictional than real.

“Yes,” I tell her, simple and straight to the point.

Lan Xiaohui twists a lock of hair around her finger and hums happily. She is practically glowing with happiness, her failure to produce good results in the Inner World Challenge completely stricken from her mind.

I know Lan Xiaohui quite well, but some things are still a mystery to me; this is another example of those mysteries. Why Lan Xiaohui’s mood improves to such a degree beyond my expectations may as well be more complicated than quantum probability.

Is it really that important to participate in a festival? More important than seeking the Dao and obtaining perfection?

Either way, one will lead to the other, so I do not object to this course of action. At the very least, Lan Xiaohui’s mood should be soaring very high for quite a while, which should greatly improve her training.

After twenty or so minutes, her happy humming and cheerful step is interrupted suddenly.

She changes directions suddenly and steps off the main road and then pulls out a jade bead from her belongings. The bead glows faintly as Lan Xiaohui focuses on it and then she smiles.

“Lady Yue has just arrived at Star City and wants to meet me,” she says.

“We should go meet her.”

Lan Xiaohui nods. “I was slightly worried about her, when I haven’t heard from her since we parted ways. I’ll tell her to meet us at the restaurant.”

I find it interesting that Lan Xiaohui was worried about Lady Yue. She herself had witnessed the mysterious cultivator handily defeat a Grand Elder of a sect — how could anyone or anything harm Lady Yue?

Lan Xiaohui is so strange.

“Thank you, Yaoyue,” she says.

“For what?”

“Cheering me up,” Lan Xiaohui says, smiling.

My sentient core bubbles with joy at those words. Perhaps being useful should feel good, but this is merely the most basic function of my existence. So why does this cursed thing react in such a way when being shown gratitude?

“I did not think it was possible anymore,” Lan Xiaohui says, chewing on her bottom lip. “In this life, I did not think Zhu Xuelian would enjoy life or a festival, but just like you gave her this new life, you made this possible too. Thank you.”

This time, I do not object to my sentient core’s deviant operations.

39