OverBEARing!!!
2.7k 39 67
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Whew! Two entire days worth of a chapter, which is long (for me).

Hope you enjoy, and I will see you next chapter!

(˃ᆺ˂✿)

Pov Nadia:

*bzzzz. bzzzz. bzzzz.*

 

Stirring in my sleep, I frowned.

 

'Go away stupid bug!'

 

*bzzzz. bzzzz. bzzzz.*

 

I groaned, waving in the air as if to shoo the bug out of the room.

 

*bzzzz. bzzzz. bzzzz.*

 

Zoey suddenly leaped up and reached towards the night stand by my bed.

 

I stretched as Zoey pulled her intelligent watch off the charger and answered the call.

 

From the other end of the line, Ms. Miranda’s worried voice burst through. 

 

"Finally, I got through! Are you ok? Is everything Alright?! You aren't hurt are you?! Are you safe?!"

 

Zoey coughed, interrupting Ms. Miranda’s anxious rant.

 

"Yeah, I am fine. Why?"

 

Ms. Miranda trilled, "I just got word that your entire mansion disappeared in a cloud of darkness! Laena came over worried because she couldn't reach you-"

 

She uttered under her breath, "Something about being blocked."

 

After her second of trailing off, her voice raised again as she continued, "-and couldn't find where you went yesterday. Apparently she has been searching everywhere when that happened."

 

We looked guiltily at each other, and I curiously whispered, "Who is Laena?"

 

Hearing my voice from the other end of the line, Ms. Miranda sighed in relief, and gently remarked, "Oh, you are with little Nadia."

 

Clearing her throat, she answered my question. "You might know Laena by her other alias, Commander Reyes."

 

"Oh."[Nadia]

 

Curious, Ms. Miranda asked, "Why did you block her anyways?"

 

Zoey clenched her fists as she blurted, "Someone just shot Nadia two days ago! I didn-"

 

Ms. Miranda roared, "THEY DID WHAT?!"

 

Voice softening, she fretted, "Is she ok? Are you safe? Do you need me to ask for a med drone?"

 

Zoey cut her off there. Firmly, as not to worry  Ms. Miranda, she stated softly, "We are fine. We are hunkered down at Nadia's place. As for what I was about to say, was that I don’t know who I can trust right now. 

 

We were at a diplomatic meeting when it happened, and after the chaos, I blocked anyone who was related with the government as I don't have any idea who betrayed us."

 

I nodded in agreement at her words, it was a sound decision. I would have done the same. If I had to place bets on who betrayed us, it would be on the creepy man.

 

After Ms. Miranda absorbed the information, she whispered, "One moment."

 

*tap tap tap. click.*

 

Then she hissed, "What on Earth is going on right now?"

 

Zoey "-"

 

She interrupted Zoey before she could answer as she suddenly made up her mind.

 

Firmly, she stated in a I am not going to take no for an answer voice, "Scratch that, I am going to come over, where are you?"

 

Zoey glanced at me and meekly whispered, "The center of Turnaround Forest."

 

"Where!" Ms. Miranda exclaimed in shock.

 

I heard her curiously mutter under her breath, "How do they even have a signal, usually anyone who enters there gets cut off."

 

Zoey repeated herself, voice going weaker.

 

Ms. Miranda sighed and in a resolved voice declared, "I will make my way over."

 

Pausing for a moment she warily asked, "Would it be alright if I brought Laena along? She has been anxiously searching for you for a long time, after all."

 

I looked at Zoey, and she shrugged, fine with whatever.

 

Taking her hand, I meekly replied, "It is fine to bring her. Just enter the forest, and a path will open up for you two."

 

I growled, emphasizing every word as I gave my warning, "The path will only open up for you two, and ONLY you two. Anyone else who enters will be affected by the forest’s natural defenses, and I will know.

 

Any funny business and I will boot you two out."

 

Zoey gently ruffled my hair as I softly panted, beaming satisfaction as I nuzzled her hand.

 

Ms. Miranda’s shocked voice hollered, "What?!"

 

She did a double take, and exclaimed, "Wait wait wait, are you telling me that you have control of Turnaround Forest?"

 

Flatly, I replied "Yep.", not wanting to elaborate.

 

Hearing my dry tone she whispered, "Oh."

 

After a moment of silence I heard rustling as Ms. Miranda impatiently informed, "I will be there shortly, see you soon."

 

*click! beep beep beep*

 

Looking at Zoey wryly, I commented, "Well, that just happened."

 

Zoey nodded, already looking drained, "Yep."

 

Sighing, Zoey informed, "Ms. Miranda is overwhelming when she gets worried. She means well, however her affection can become smothering. 

 

Sometimes she pushes a bit too much, but I can't hate her for that."

 

I softly observed, "She sounds very caring. She must love you a lot."

 

"She does." Zoey nodded and smiled fondly, reminiscing about her past.

 

*growl!*

 

I squinted at my traitorous stomach, wondering if it was embarrassing me on purpose.

 

Zoey giggled at my expression as she teased, "Let's go eat before Ms. Miranda arrives. We can’t have the little fox being hangry when she sees us."

 

I folded my arms and pouted, "I won't be hangry!"

 

Zoey booped my nose and amusedly commented, "Someone seems hangry to me."

 

I blushed and hid my face with my tail.

 

Then I crouched and drew imaginary circles on the ground as I pathetically mewled, "Just whyyyy?"

 

Amusedly shaking her head, Zoey took my hand as she gently urged, "Come on. Let's see what we have to eat, I am sure I saw some bacon somewhere."

 

At the mention of bacon, my ears perked up and my tail started wagging.

 

Getting up, I excitedly tugged Zoey's hand and impatiently exclaimed, "What are we waiting for? Let's go!"

 

Giggling, Zoey shook her head and followed me to the kitchen.

 

I fetched a huge pile of bacon from the freezer as Zoey fetched ingredients for breakfast from the pantry.

 

I took the glorious position of taste tester while Zoey cooked.

 

When the meal finished, we sat at the table and I couldn't hold myself back anymore.

 

With divinity before my eyes, I greedily devoured every last crumb, and pouted when it ran out suddenly.

 

Zoey, full from her meal, giggled and passed the leftovers from her plate to me.

 

Ears perking up, I beamed "Thanks!" as I dug into the rest.

 

Satisfied with the meal, I rubbed my belly.

 

Suddenly I felt a mental tug.

 

Closing my eyes, I sensed that it was Ms. Miranda and Commander Reyes at the edge of the forest.

 

I gave a mental command to open a path for them as I informed, "They are here."

 

At that, we quickly cleaned up from our breakfast and got ready.

 

Nervous, I fiddled with my tail while waiting at the front door.

 

Zoey gave me a side hug as she asked, "Are you ok?"

 

I nodded.

 

Softly I panickedly whispered, "This is the first time I had people come over! I don't know what I should say, or what I should do! Was I supposed to dress nicer, or how should I greet-"

 

Zoey hugged me and pecked me on the forehead.

 

Instantly my train of thought froze as Zoey comforted, "Shhh, everything will be alright, just relax and take a deep breath."

 

Following her instructions, I took a deep breath and slowly calmed down.

 

"Better?"

 

I nodded.

 

Suddenly my ears perked towards the door as I heard Ms. Miranda's voice.

 

"I am glad that you came with me Laena, otherwise I don't think I could have made it this far in. 

 

Honestly, it is really spooky not knowing what is beyond the fog on either side of us. Every sound has me imagining a monster will suddenly pop out."

 

*mmhhmm*

 

Commander Reyes hummed in agreement.

 

I heard two sighs as Ms. Miranda exclaimed, "Finally, we are here!"

 

Getting closer, she unsurely commented, "Are you sure that this is where we need to be? Because this seems like a place where a witch would live."

 

I pouted, and Zoey snickered, guessing what I just heard through the door.

 

Unsure herself, Commander Reyes answered, "It might be the place, however it would be best if I went first just in case."

 

Ms. Miranda's voice wavered as she stuttered fearfully, "A-Alright."

 

When they reached the front door, I opened it, and they both jumped back, majorly spooked.

 

"Woops." I muttered.

 

Seeing us standing there awkwardly, with Zoey still hugging my side, the fear melted from their faces.

 

Ms. Miranda suddenly ran up and hugged us.

 

*wawawa!*

 

Unprepared for her sudden hug, I flailed for a second, then relaxed as the warmth from her arms comforted me.

 

Releasing us from her grip, she thoroughly examined us both for injuries as she worrily fretted, "Are you ok? You didn't run into trouble did you? I swear if something happened to-"

 

Giggling, Zoey exasperatedly exclaimed, "I am alright. As you can see, I am perfectly healthy."

 

Seeing nothing wrong with us she sighed in relief. Turning to me her eyes softened.

 

Tenderly, she pitied, "Oh you poor girl, life just won't give you a break. Let me give you a hug."

 

Before I could react, she did just that.

 

Feeling the motherly love through her warmth, the dam on my emotions broke.

 

Missing my own mother, tears welled up and I sobbed into her shoulder.

 

Ms. Miranda gently stroked my hair as I wailed into her shoulder.

 

After I poured my heart out, I raised my head, still sniffing.

 

Gently, she asked, "Are you doing better?"

 

I meekly nodded.

 

Noticing all the snot and dampness I left behind, I was embarrassed.

 

Sheepishly I raised my hand and a cloud of darkness suddenly erased all the evidence.

 

Ms. Miranda shrieked as she jumped away.

 

Freezing, I realized that I just messed up.

 

Not waiting for a reaction, I teleported behind Zoey and curled up, shivering and hyperventilating as I worried that I just ruined any chance of having a good relationship with Zoey's aunt.

 

Commander Reyes stood shocked, and her eyes twitched back and forth as she mentally connected dots, slowly coming to a realization.

 

Zoey picked me up off the ground and stroked my hair as she softly comforted, "It's ok, I am here. There is nothing to be afraid of. It will all work out, mabey."

 

Zoey gently hummed, and my heart rate slowed down.

 

Still fearful, I hugged my tail and hid my face into her chest.

 

Cooing, Zoey sat down with me on her lap as she waited for Commander Reyes and Ms. Miranda to reboot.

 

Both of them came to at the same time and exclaimed simultaneously,

 

"It's you!" "Oh dear!"

 

They glanced at each other. Commander Reyes, with a distant look in her eyes, shook her head and robotically gestured towards me as she whispered, "You go first, I need time to think for a moment."

 

With that, Ms. Miranda immediately rushed beside us.

 

Kneeling down, she hesitated, then she gently reached out and hugged us.

 

Under her breath she pitied, "What an unfortunate girl."

 

She stroked my hair as she soothed, "It's ok, you didn’t mean any harm. You are safe with me."

 

Merriment in her voice, she joked, "Besides, I think little Zoey will go all mama bear on me if I did anything to hurt you."

 

'Says the mama bear herself.'

 

Zoey and I snorted at her words, and couldn't help laughing.

 

Wiping tears tears from my eyes and gasping for breath, I looked up into Ms. Miranda’s eyes.

 

"There's the cute smile we all love!"

 

I blushed and fidgeted sheepishly.

 

Looking at the ground, I realized we were still outside.

 

*awawawa!*

 

Panicky, I scrambled up and urgently invited, "Why don't we take things inside."

 

With everyone nodding in agreement, I helped Zoey up and we entered my house. When Commander Reyes and Ms. Miranda stepped in, they froze, shocked, mouths agape.

 

Seeing that, I snickered.

 

Feeling naughty, I joked, "You might want to close your mouth before you catch any flies."

 

Snapping out of their daze, Ms.Miranda rhetorically asked, "You’re rich?"

 

I nodded, then helped Zoey bring in a couple chairs from the kitchen before snuggling into her side on the couch.

 

Finished examining my living room, thoroughly in Commander Reyes case, they took a seat.

 

Tilting my head, I curiously probed, "So?"

 

Ms. Miranda and Commander Reyes looked at each other to see who will begin, and Commander Reyes shifted uncomfortably and gestured for Ms. Miranda to begin.

 

Looking around, still slightly dazzled, she whispered, "I just wanted to see if you two were doing all right, and if there is anything I can do to help."

 

I looked at Zoey.

 

Pondering for a moment, she pointed out, "Well, I probably won't be able to show my face to the public for a while, so we might need assistance with shopping for the meantime."

 

Remembering my last shopping trip, I shuddered.

 

"You ok honey?" Ms. Miranda asked.

 

I weakly nodded as Zoey gently massaged my shoulder.

 

Thinking for a moment, she nodded. "I can do that, however we will have to meet up at the edge of the forest."

 

Shivering she rubbed her shoulders and commented, "I don't know if I can handle another trip through these woods. Once is more than enough for me, no offense."

 

I quickly replied, "None taken."

 

She sighed in relief when she heard that.

 

"Anything else that I can help you with?" She asked.

 

I looked at Zoey, who shrugged, then I looked at Ms. Miranda, and shrugged as well while shaking my head.

 

"Not that I can think of at the moment."

 

We all turned to Commander Reyes.

 

Taking that as her que, she began poking her pointer fingers together, unsure how to begin while she stared vacantly into the distance.

 

After a moment of awkward silence, Zoey asked, "Commander Reyes, are you doing alright?"

 

Commander Reyes flinched, and opened and closed her mouth again.

 

Conflicting emotions flashed through her face.

 

Sighing, she settled on a neutral face as she flatly stated matter of factly, "Nadia is the deity."

 

Zoey and I gasped as Ms. Miranda confusedly tilted her head.

 

I began hyperventilating and fearfully huggedy tail, hiding my face into Zoey's side as I shivered.

 

Ms. Miranda put her hand on Commander Reyes' shoulder and curiously asked, "What do you mean Laena?"

 

Commander Reyes looked at her and sighed, pinching her nose.

 

Coming to a decision, she filled her in with the events leading up to now, starting from when the message displayed across the world.

 

While that was happening, Zoey pulled me into her lap and comforted me, cradling me close as she stroked my hair affectionately.

 

Zoey was at a loss for what she could say, so she just gently hummed as she used her actions to reassure me that she was with me.

 

Slowly, my heart rate calmed down and my breathing settled.

 

Shakily, I wrapped my arms around Zoey.

 

Taking in her scent as I breathed in, I melted into her warm embrace.

 

Feeling my tension releasing, Zoey whispered, "Are you going to be ok?"

 

I weakly nodded.

 

She began tracing circles on my back as she asked, "Would you like me to speak with them?"

 

Taking a second to think about it, I knew that there was no way that I will be able to avoid this topic. As this specifically dealt with me, I needed to participate, even if things fell apart.

 

Taking a deep breath to resolve myself, I softly replied, "It would be better if I am involved, but I don't know if I can do it alone. Would you be there for me, just in case?"

 

Zoey kissed me on the forehead, and affectionately declared, "Anything for you, my love."

 

My heart melted at Zoey’s words, and I affectionately hugged her and whispered, "Thanks."

 

"Any time."

 

I turned my head to Commander Reyes and Ms. Miranda, who just finished their conversation.

 

Ms. Miranda had a shocked expression as she absorbed everything she just heard.

 

Commander Reyes, done articulating everything, sat back down in her chair.

 

I did a double take when I realized that I missed her standing up. I really lost track of my surroundings.

 

We just awkwardly stared at each other, waiting for someone to say something.

 

We flinched as Ms. Miranda suddenly exclaimed, "What the heck is going on with this world? Spies, conspiracies, a warrior princess, and deities?  It sounds just like a fairytale!"

 

I snorted because that was just how I felt when I was exploring this world's history.

 

Feeling the irony, I quoted, "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't."

 

Resonating with them, Zoey and Commander Reyes asked ""Who said that?""

 

Smirking as I looked back and forth between them, I simply replied, "Someone named Mark Twain."

 

Commander Reyes pinched her chin, and after a moment stated, "Never heard of him."

 

Sighing and shaking my head, I muttered, "Of course you haven't. He is from my world."

 

Commander Reyes pinched her nose.

 

Guessing what she was thinking, I quickly stated, "You don't have to worry about this world being invaded by mine. We don't have the technology or the knowledge to do that."

 

Remembering how I got here, my ears folded back and my tail floofed up.

 

Turning pale, I stuttered, "I-I am. h-here. because. of s-s-something el-se."

 

Zoey hugged me tightly as I forced those words out.

 

Taking pity, Ms. Miranda got up and sat where I previously was, and rubbed my back, as Commander Reyes looked at me concernedly.

 

Very carefully Commander Reyes asked, "Do we need to be concerned with this… something?"

 

I weakly shook my head and forced out, "N-...No."

 

Elaborating, I slowly continued. "As. As far as. I'm aware, It…It. has been dealt. with."

 

Commander Reyes sighed in relief at not having another problem to worry about, and sat in silence patiently waiting for me to recollect myself.

 

I leaned on Zoey’s shoulder and breathed in her scent, grounding myself in the present.

 

Anxious, I asked Commander Reyes, "So what happens now?"

 

Freezing, Commander Reyes coughed into her hand and replied, "You know, that is a very good question."

 

She stared off into space as she thought over her next course of action.

 

*beep!*

 

We all flinched as Commander Reyes watch beeped with a message.

 

Pulling up a screen, she read it, her face hardening with every word.

 

She clenched her fists tightly as she vehemently muttered, "That is the last straw! I quit! I will make my last order and just watch as he self destructs."

 

Pulling up her watch, she stood up, pressed a button, and urgently barked, "This is Commander Reyes. New order, evacuate all citizens from V City. The area is now declared a war zone, I repeat, the area is now declared a war zone."

 

Sighing, she exclaimed, "I should have done that from the start, but no,"

 

Making a hand mouth she mockingly quoted, "We can handle what they send, and The peace talk will work out."

 

Scoffing she remarked, "They have already proven to be more advanced than us! And now I find out that it was you who hired the assassins."

 

*beep!*

 

Pulling the message up she angrily shouted, "I'm fired, well screw you!"

 

Huffing, she folded her arms and sat down.

 

Very carefully, I asked, "You ok?"

 

Sighing, she slumped, defeated.

 

Weakly, she sardonically whispered, "Yeah, I am doing just fine."

 

Checking her watch she nodded, "At least the citizens will be safe from these politics."

 

Looking at me she explained, "With me declaring this place a war zone, the President will get involved, and now the governor will be held accountable for his actions.

 

While he was authorized to hold the diplomatic meeting, when it comes out that he was the cause of its failure, well, the trial won't be pretty."

 

Sighing, she shook her head and groaned, "It is going to be pure chaos. The other world has been heavily fortifying that base last I checked.

 

They are just about ready to launch their retaliation."

 

"Oh." Was all I could say.

 

My lip trembled. I was not ready to deal with a war. I used to be a citizen for crying out loud, and I knew that I wouldn’t be any help with my fear of blood.

 

Hugging my tail, tears welled up.

 

Seeing that, Zoey fretted, "Are you ok?"

 

Shaking my head I weakly ranted, "No, I am not. I feel very useless. I have all this power and I am afraid to use it! I was just a citizen, I don't know how to stop a war! I can't even see bl- … that without shutting down! I am such a useless goddess!"

 

Zoey hugged me close to her.

 

Affectionately stroking my hair, she comforted, "You will never be useless. You are and always will be the most precious to me."

 

With those words, she affectionately kissed me on the forehead.

 

Ms. Miranda gave me a hug, and softly added on, "It will be ok, we don't need you to take care of our problems. That is what the military is for. 

 

We will take care of our own affairs ourselves, we cannot expect a stranger to save our world for no reason, as much as we can ask an old person or child to fight. It is just not right."

 

Commander Reyes nodded in agreement.

 

An invisible burden was lifted from my shoulders, and I sighed in relief.

 

Relaxed, I asked, "What do we do now?"

 

Ruffling my hair, Commander Reyes, or maybe Ms. Reyes now, quipped, "Now, I should probably head home. There is an evacuation in progress, afterall."

 

Taking a step away, she froze.

 

Frowning, she pulled up her watch and checked something, and cursed.

 

"What is it?" Ms. Miranda asked?

 

Frustrated,  she hissed, "I was hoping he wouldn't go through with it, but he did! He actually put an arrest warrant out for me!"

 

Awkwardly she turned to us and sheepishly asked, "You don't mind if I stay the night with you, right?"

 

I glanced at Zoey to see what she thinks.

 

With a slight head tilt of permission, I turned to Ms. Reyes and chirped, "Sure."

 

A flash of inspiration hit me and I mischievously added, "However, I would like just one thing."

 

Ms. Reyes gulped and asked warily, "What?"

 

Spreading a dark cloud in the center of my living room, I dumped all of Zoey’s stuff as I beamed, "Can you help us unpack Zoey's stuff?"

 

Zoey and Ms. Miranda broke into laughter as Ms. Reyes amusedly shook her head.

 

Chuckling, she replied, "Sure, why not."

 

Ms. Miranda cut in, "I'll help as well."

 

With that I jumped up and cheered, "Let's do this!"

 

Zoey amusedly shook her head at my antics.

 

We spent the rest of the day unpacking and sorting her stuff.

 

While that was happening, an arrest warrant came out for Ms. Miranda as well.

 

We all badmouthed the poophead when that happened, and spent the rest of the day watching comedies and formally introducing ourselves to each other.

 

I giggled at some of the stories Ms. Miranda told about a young Zoey and the troublesome antics she got up to.

 

After our long day was over, I pulled out another couch from Zoey's home and some extra blankets for Ms. Miranda and Ms. Reyes to sleep on.

 

Saying our goodnights to them, Zoey and I went to my room.

 

Snuggling in bed, I whispered, "Zoey, everything will work out, right?"

 

Tenderly stroking my hair, Zoey comforted, "I am sure that we will figure things out…Now, let's get some sleep."

 

With that she placed a loving kiss on my forehead, and softly uttered, "Goodnight, my precious."

 

Yawning, I softly returned "Nighty night."

 

With that, I snuggled closer and drifted off to sleep.

67