Chapter 237 – A sudden explosion.
429 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day I woke up ready to do a little investigation. I would have to investigate the mayor to find out where the drug was coming from, and I was wanting to do that now.

I haven't played a detective in a while, so it's going to be an interesting experience. Also, I will earn a lot of money from the guild master if I can find out more information, and that will be good.

I woke up and went downstairs as fast as possible.

Syl was now sleeping in her room, she wasn't in my bed so I don't know if she was still sleeping. But when I got downstairs, I noticed she was already there drinking coffee.

Not only her but Emily and her entire family were already seated at the table, making me think I'd overslept.

"Wait, did I oversleep?" As soon as I approached the table I asked them, but everyone had their mouths full of food except Emily.

"I don't think so, we who woke up too early. You didn't hear all that noise? Nobody could sleep after that." Noise? I was sleeping very well, I don't remember hearing any loud noises.

"Didn't hear anything, did something happen?"

"Not exactly, it looks like an accident happened nearby, then there was a big explosion."

"Then something happened! Did someone get hurt? An explosion is serious, did you know that?" Was she acting like this was nothing? This is dangerous.

And how did I not hear anything? I wasn't that tired.

"Well, I still don't know if anyone got hurt." Emily was eating like she didn't care. Hey, there was an explosion in the middle of town, that's not normal.

"But the explosion took place in the prime area? Since it was a very loud sound." Honestly, I still can't accept not having heard anything.

"I was exaggerating a bit when I said it was too loud. The explosion seems to have happened near the main street."

"IT MAKES THINGS WORSE! HOW CAN YOU BE ACTING AS IF IT'S NOTHING SERIOUS? Aren't you all worried that something serious might have happened?"

"In the capital, this happened frequently," Emily said calmly.

"Wait, is this serious?"

"Yes, it usually happened, mainly in the poorer areas of the city. There were a lot of accidents because of magic being used the wrong way, you know?" Emily's mother decided to join the conversation by saying something shocking.

"So it was normal to have an explosion... But in that residential area?"

"Mhm, a lot of people used artifacts or what little magic they had for household chores, sometimes accidents happened. But I have to confess that I've never seen an explosion as strong as the one that happened today."

"I see... Anyway, I'll have a look over there, then I'll give you guys news."

"I can go?" This time Syl decided to say something. She was eagerly waiting for me to take her with me, but I can't do that, because today I'm going to act like a detective. And now that there's a random explosion in the middle of town, it's not a good idea to take her.

"You stay here. Since one explosion happened, others can happen, isn't it? Even if you aren't worried, I'm worried."

"Alright..." Syl was a little upset but seemed to understand my concern, so I decided to say something to cheer her up: "Don't worry, I'll take you out when everything is calmer. I promise to you."

"Yes, I'll wait for it." Syl who even look sad before smiled and pointed his finger at me. Right after, Syl went back to eating. She didn't look worried about the explosion.

After that, I also started eating while talking to them about the explosion.

After the explosion happened they went to the backyard where they could only see a big black smoke far away.

Through the gate, they could see many neighbors were also worried and went out to find out what was going on. After a few minutes, the black smoke disappeared and it was as if nothing had happened, everything was calm.

The screams that could have been heard coming from the main street were gone, so everyone assumed everything was fine. They went inside and the neighbors returned to their homes.

I asked them if no one came here to ask for help, as I am a member of the guild, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

'Was it just an accident and no one got hurt?' Saying goodbye to the girls and Emily's father, I left the mansion and went into the street, where everything was calm. I could observe some nobles walking down the street as if it were a normal day.

I couldn't hear a scream or someone talking about some kind of explosion while in the upscale neighborhood.

But things started to get weirder the closer I got to Main Street and the Adventurers Guild. The streets were empty.

The stores that had been open before were now closed, looking like a holiday.

'Things haven't calmed down like they're thinking, have they?' The nobles just don't care, but there's something wrong here.

Afraid it was something serious, I started walking faster, almost running through the alleys to get to the guild as quickly as possible.

And again I didn't find anyone on the streets, everyone had disappeared.

After some time walking, I had arrived on the empty main street. My heart started beating faster, I was nervous about what would have happened, and it was something more serious than I could have imagined.

"What the hell happened in this place.."

14