Chance
66 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A faint shower of rain begins to fall upon the destroyed village, painting a solemn picture. The elves collect a sigil from one of the wizard corpses and use it to remove the tight collars around their necks, most had grim looks.

They went about burying their dead, some with tear stricken faces and others with empty expressions.

Only the purple haired elf stayed still inside one of the few untouched houses, taking care of his wife Lia who had fallen asleep. She had been through a traumatic experience and it was unknown whether or not she would recover.

I learned that his name was Paeris and that his daughter was called Agis.

“Do you need help?” I ask Paeris who was tending to his wife Lia, their child Agis sitting to the side rubbing her eyes sleepily.

Paeris sighed hopelessly as he shook his head. “I thank you for your kind intentions Soren, but I’m afraid its too late for us.”

Confused I ask. “What do you mean? You’re all free now.”

“You should know Soren, the red mark is not something we can remove.” Paeris pulled his shirt aside revealing his collar bone and just in center, there was a red cross symbol, almost like a tattoo though it shimmered with a sinister light.

I inspect the mark curiously but I don’t know what it means. ‘Perhaps its common knowledge among the elves.’

“What is that?” I ask.

Paeris raised his brow. “You are one of our clansmen so how could you not know of the red mark? Who exactly are you?”

‘Here it is, the big question.’

I sigh somewhat gloomily. “To be honest Paeris, I don’t know. I awoke a few days ago falling from the sky. I have no memories of who I am except for my name.”

Paeris’s eyes open wide, half in surprise, half in disbelief. “Is that true?”

I nod solemnly.

“As unbelievable as it is, I see truth in your eyes Soren. To live in such blindness truly must not be easy for you, I am sorry.” Paeris sighed, the sympathy in his voice not hidden. He then smiled half heartedly. “Allow me to tell you of our people at least, though I wish I could forget it.”

What I heard next filled me with shock.

All the villagers belonged to the race known as the starlight elves. They were once part of the long lived races but 3000 years ago due to a great betrayal, they were cursed.

Their immense life reduced to a mere 500 years but that wasn’t the worst of it.

The curse took away any ability to utilize the rare and powerful magic that all starlight elves had innately, they couldn’t even use warrior force, something all people in this world were born with at least some talent in.

From being one of the most powerful races to falling to the lowest dregs as a crippled people, it was a most cruel fate indeed.

Banished from their homeland, the ancient starlight elves journeyed countless miles to the end of the known world losing many people along the way and eventually settling in the Kensari wilds, an untamed land full of danger.

They created the new moonstar nation and built three cities but two were lost to invaders.

If it wasn’t for the protection of a dragon, the final city Solstace would have fallen and all the starlight elves would have likely been turned into slaves.

Years passed and the situation grew chaotic in the city. A side effect of the curse caused the starlight elves usual extremely low birthrate to skyrocket, and thus came overpopulation.

With no space left, unfortunate elves were forced out of their only bastion of safety. They now had to settle in the Kensari wilds.

Fearing attacks from both magical beasts and slavers, they have no place in a world where might makes right. That is especailly true in the kensari wilds, the elves here can barely survive.

This hell has been their life for 3000 years.

I shook my head sadly and said. “Our people have truly suffered.” Although I was outwardly showing sympathy as I listened about the history of the downtrodden starlight elves, there was a slight elation in my heart.

I saw a valuable opportunity to cement my place in this dangerous world and these pitiful starlight elves could be my foundation.

Paeris nodded with a somewhat dim look in his eyes. He then sighed and explained the red mark.

The red mark is a simple tracer used by slaver mages. Easily removed with magic but the starlight elves are crippled and can't remove it and therefore it is a mark of death.

As long as it remains, they can be found no matter what. It has been a major reason why all elves carry a funeral dagger, so that they can end their lives at a moments notice. A common saying amongst the elves is- ‘Better dead then a slave.’

In actual fact, most of the deaths in the village were caused by suicide and not by the slavers..

A grim revelation for sure but that’s just the cruel reality of the situation.

“So you mean to kill yourself Paeris, along with your wife? You both have the mark..”

Paeris looked down and then slowly nodded, He then looked at me with a look of pleading.

“The humans only had enough magic to brand half of us, so those lucky few who escaped the brand should be fine, you shouldn’t worry about them. They’ll find a safe place to stay but my.. my daughter..” Paeris looked heartbroken as he longingly gazed at his daughter who had fallen asleep.

“I beg you, take care of her. Please!” Paeris kneeled with tears streaming down his cheeks. “I know that asking this of you is too much but she’ll have no one once I and Lia are gone.”

I cupped my chin and said. “That’s quite selfish Paeris.”

Paeris looked at me in surprise and said. “I don’t know what you mean.”

“You know the other elves would take in your daughter with open arms yet you ask me to care for her? Why would that be?”

Paeris looked at me for a moment and then said. “I don’t know how you saved us Soren but it requires strength and it’s in that strength that I can be assured of my daughter’s safety. Whether or not you stay with the others, I only hope that you can keep Agis with you.”

“You’re more shrewd than I thought.” I say with praise.

Paeris grit his teeth. “I’m a father first and foremost, you can’t blame me for doing everything to ensure my daughter’s well-being.”

“I agree with that Paeris.”

“So you’ll take her?” Paeris’s face lit up.

I shook my head. “I cannot, such a thing is impossible for me to do..”

All hope within Paeris’s eyes disappeared as he muttered despondently. “I..”

“It’s not what you think Paeris, How could I willingly separate a daughter from her loving father and mother?”

Paeris showed confusion as he stated. “But well be de-”

“Don’t you dare say that, I won’t allow it! There’s another choice that you have available.”

“What is that?”

“You can fight!” I clenched my fist.

Paeris seemed surprised and then he smiled and let out a hollow chuckle. “Soren we’re so weak, we haven’t the strength to fight.”

“Listen to me Paeris, when I fell from the sky that day I found that I possessed a certain ability. One might say that it is divine.”

“This arm that was once devoured by a wolf was remade, stronger than before!” I flexed my Lariat cybernetic limb. “Those knights that died before your very eyes were also killed because of my ability.”

Paeris frowned and then asked with a firm voice. “As amazing as your ability sounds Soren, can it contend against hundreds? Those who can carve the earth and rend the sky with their magic? All alone while protecting us?”

“Alone?” I smiled. “Not alone Paeris, Through me, you will all gain my strength. My ability will give our people a fighting chance so that if necessary, even a child could kill a knight or even one of those mages.”

Paeris seemed to be in shock at hearing my declaration, though there was slight skepticism in his eyes.

“Believe in me. I’ll let you witness the bright future ahead where none will have to kill themselves to void a terrible fate! Call everyone to meet in front, especially those who have resigned themselves to death.”

Paeris seemed to nod absentmindedly before leaving.

Cupping my chin in thought, I already have an idea brewing in my mind.

‘I need to make some preparations.’

...

Fera sat silently in her ransacked house, the expression on her face as blank as can be. Her mother and father beside her holding her tightly while sobbing.

She held her funeral dagger in her hand, her fingers feeling the grooves of its handle. From the moment she received it years ago, it had never felt so heavy as it did today.

“Be at peace my beloved daughter, we shall both follow you to the verdant garden.” Her father spoke with a desolate sigh.

“My precious Fera, you won’t be lonely.” Her mother added sadly.

Fera shook her head aggressively in disagreement, tears began flowing from her eyes. “No father! Mother! Please! You both were spared from the red mark, you both can still live. Don’t throw away that chance just for me..”

Both of her parents looked at each other for a moment and then smiled. Her father said. “We’ll listen to what you say daughter, don’t worry..”

Fera looked at them both and felt her heart break. She knew that they were both lying, that they wouldn’t hesitate to use their own daggers after she had passed. It left her feeling both despair at their inevitable yet unecessary deaths and hope that she’ll meet them in Elesyndir’s garden.

Seeing that they were both firm in their decision, she sighed and then pulled aside her robe showing her bare chest and the red mark.

Fera brought the dagger to her chest, to the spot where she was taught. The pointy blade was an inch away, if she plunged it in, it would slide past her ribs and pierce her heart.

Her hand began to shake.

‘I.. I don’t want to die..’

Both her father and mother hugged her tightly, she felt warm in their embrace but her mind was in turmoil.

Although she had reminded herself daily that this will likely be her fate, can just anyone prepare themselves for death? She was just a young girl who had yet to find a loved one and have a family! She had yet to live her life fully.

Why was this terrible fate forced upon her? Why were her people hunted so?

Fera felt a burning hatred within. It was terrible for hate to be the last thing in her life that she would feel but it seemed to give her enough courage.

With a firm grasp now holding the dagger, she brought it outwards and then suddenly plunged it towards her chest.

Just as it was about to reach her skin, there was a sudden knock on the door.

“Redan, Eyla are you there?” A familiar voice sounded from outside.

Both Fera’s parents seemed to let go of the breath they were holding, her father stood and then walked over to the door, opening it.

“Please Paeris, can you leave us be.”

Paeris gave a weak smile and said. “I’m sorry for interrupting Redan, but our savior Soren has asked that we all meet in front of Elder Fulven’s house.”

Redan frowned before saying. “You can give him my thanks but we have no time I’m afraid.”

“Redan, you may not believe this but Soren says that none of those who have been marked have to die.”

Redan’s eyes open wide in disbelief. “You’re not lying to me are you Paeris?”

Both Eyla and Fera’s hearts began beating wildly.

“I almost don’t believe it myself but Soren..he is strange.. Hear him out before making your decision at least.” Paeris swept his gaze past Fera and said firmly. “As long as there is a slight chance that he is telling the truth, I think it’s worth it.” After saying that, Paeris patted Redan’s shoulder and left.

Redan was silent, clenching his fists tightly. He looked back at his wife and daughter, a question in his eyes that needed no words.

Eyla looked at Fera and stroked her silver hair, she smiled and said. “Fera.. we’ll support whatever you choose.”

Fera took a breath and with a look of determination, she said. “Let’s go.”

5