Vol.3 Ch.199 They’re Coming by Land
1.7k 15 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile, all the knights and General Douglas were astonished by how easily Crown Prince Quinus defeated Lady Rya. The ten Royal Knights could barely touch her and she was holding back in the fight. Quinus also handicapped himself in his skirmish by not channeling his mana as well. He gracefully and precisely moved his weapon as if he were dancing while countered her without breaking a sweat. His attacks were so refined and his dodges so flawless that it made him look like he was in no danger. The whole skirmish lasted only a few seconds as Rya was pinned to the wall with Quinus' blade on her neck, his face inches away from hers.

They all saw how Lady Rya's face was blushing and could see her breathing was becoming heavy. She looked like she was excited and was struggling to free herself, but they all knew it was no use. They were all speechless. They had no idea what just happened. The two just stood there, looking into each other's eyes, even though the prince was trying to act like he wasn't aware of her current state.

'How did he move so fast? We were barely keeping up with her and he was able to outmaneuver her. When did the prince become this skilled?  I-Is this the true power of a Demi-god-leveled mana vein? How can any Maja compete against him,' Lady Rachel thought as she watched the two whispering to each other.

'T-The Prince is that fast!? H-He's almost as fast as Sir Mathew!' General Douglas thought as the realization hit him. It was a shocking and exciting time for him. For the Kingdom to have their next heir with a Demi-god-leveled mana vein meant the other surrounding Kingdoms could be in trouble and need to think twice before invading them.

Sir Walfort, who was on his knees and trembling, couldn't believe what he had seen. 'N-No way... I'm the fastest in the Royal Guard. B-But the Crown Prince is even faster than me?'

All the knights were feeling a sense of defeat and admiration. General Douglas was the first to calm down from his stupor and that's when he noticed Rya's blushing face. The way she looked at Quinus was a woman in love.

'S-She's like an innocent maiden... How was I so blind?... She's been under Quinus' manly charms all this time and I refused to believe, my lord... That means this marriage will definitely happen. If he could win the hearts of a dark elf then he can win the hearts of the other races. Hell! Even the hearts of the people of the kingdom at this rate! I just hope that his mother doesn't do anything drastic to ruin this. I'll need to tell her that she's not a threat as soon as we arrive in Lomar,' General Douglas had a bad feeling when thinking about the Queen. She was a smart woman but her overprotectiveness of her son could get in the way of his growth.

"So, you finally realized it?" Sir George said as he walked up to the General, breaking him out of his thoughts.

"Huh? I-I was wrong about... the both of them... When did the Prince become so powerful? And that young woman is not your average dark elf... She is a rare breed," Douglas asked while watching Lady Rya kissing the prince.

"Aye, she is a rare breed indeed... One that's merciful, kind, and dangerous when she needs to be... She's made the prince a stronger man... Plus, wiping out hundreds of goblins and Mercs helped his growth," Sir George said with a chuckle.

"Hundreds!? T-That many? I didn't know the monster stampede was that bad... We should have sent the 10th Rangers battalion with them..." Douglas shook his head as he heard about the reports but never witnessed a monster stampede before in his life. He thought the Nobles were making a big stink about nothing. After all, it was just goblins.

"Well, the prince wasn't as strong when we left the capital and we lost three platoons worth of good men," George frowned as he remembered the blood and screams of his men as they made their way to the Tomb of the Horde. "It was a disaster, but we prevailed and gained much more from it. Especially her... She's going to change everything we know."

Douglas' old self wanted to argue that but what he witnessed before him made him realize that the old ways needed to be changed. "Yes, you're right. She is the future. With the Prince and her leading the charge, the Kingdom of Fiafyr will be the most powerful force in the world. The other nations will quake in fear and the people will know peace... Sir Richard!"

Richard wasn't expecting the general to call him by his full name. He jumped slightly and walked up to him then saluted. "Y-Yes, sir?"

"Get a bigger carriage so we can accommodate Lord Dule and his wife... I lost this challenge... And I'm a man of my word."

"As you wish, sir," Richard bowed and walked off to procure a bigger carriage.

"Glad you came around, General," Sir George said while he patted him once on the back.

"Yeah... I'm stubborn sometimes... Even when it's against my better judgment," Douglas agreed

 

***

 

Johan and Tayna couldn't believe their eyes. As they watched Lady Rya taking down ten royal knights without breaking a sweat.

Tayna never knew a woman, as beautiful as Rya, could fight so fiercely and gracefully as she did. Tayna could barely keep up with all of the dark elf's movements during the fight.

'She asked me to be her friend and that's what I'm going to do! She's the best thing that has ever happened to this Kingdom!' Tayna smiled and watched the two love birds staring into each other's eyes.

Johan was shocked by the dark elf's fighting prowess. The way she used her staff was different from a normal warrior. But Quinus was even more impressive with his speed and grace.

'Damn... Note to self... Don't start a fight with either one of them... Haha, the prince is more dangerous than I thought and I'm one of his best friends... I never thought my life would change so much by meeting him. I'm so glad I stopped trying to be Marcus' friend... I could've missed this opportunity if I was stubborn,' Johan chuckled to himself.

"Well, I guess we should have our servants pack up our things, my dear," Johan said as he grabbed Tayna's left hand and kissed the back of it.

"Hmm? So we are heading to the capital? But what will your father think?" Tayna asked worriedly.

"Orders from the prince are priority over anything else. Plus, Lester can collect this month's taxes without us... I feel like my father sent us here, so my uncle wouldn't try to belittle me in front of the family... After all, he doesn't think I'm fit to be the next Baron of House Dule," Johan explained as he looked into Tayna's eyes.

She smirked, "Well, he's in for a rude awakening... My handsome, strong, mage of a husband."

Tayna pulled Johan close and passionately kissed him.

'Damn, she's the best thing that has ever happened to me.'

Johan was lost in his wife's kiss until a loud voice shouted from behind him,

"Ahem!"

The couple turned around and saw Crown Prince Quinus Meredydd, Rya, Nieren, and Yuliana staring at them.

"So, you two get excited during a fight, huh?" Rya giggled, causing the two to blush.

"T-That's not true. We were just-" Johan stammered.

"W-We were just excited for the future! That's all! Tayna cut in.

Quinus laughed, "It's fine... But we need to get going soon. We've delayed the trip long enough."

"Okay, Your Highness, we will be ready shortly. We'll gather our things in order," Johan bowed and walked off with Tayna.

"Do humans always show such affection in public?" Yuliana asked with a puzzled expression.

Rya blushed and said, "Well... When you are in love... You tend not to care in the moment."

"Hmph, disgusting..." Nieren muttered.

"What's gotten into you?" Rya asked.

"N-Nothing... It's just a lack of sleep. That's all," Nieren looked away with blush on her cheeks.

"I'm going to put away our swords and help with getting ready to leave. You can stay here as long as you want, before I call for you," Quinus walked off.

"O-Okay, babe."

Nieren watched Rya as she had a dreamy look on her face. She didn't realize that she was making the same face when she was watching Quinus' butt and back muscles.

'Why am I feeling this way... I just want to make sure that he is worthy of being by Rya's side... H-Humans are cunning creatures... and I need to observe him just to make sure...' Nieren thought to herself before it hit her like a bolt of lightning.

'D-Do I like him!? W-What is wrong with me...?' Nieren then turned around. 'I-I should go help as well...'

"Nieren? Where are you going?" Yuliana asked as she started to follow her daughter.

"N-Nowhere. Just going to help is all."

"Don't push yourself too hard. Remember you're still haggard from not sleeping," Yuliana placed her hand on Nieren's right shoulder.

"Y-Yes, mom..." Nieren rolled her eyes.

Yuliana glared and hit Nieren on the head.

"Don't give me that attitude... You may be a retainer to Lady Rya but you are still a princess. And you should act like one."

"Ow! S-Sorry, I-I won't do it again..."

Yuliana smiled, "Good... Let's go help out."

 

***

 

With that, everything was set when they swapped out a new carriage that had House Dule's coat of arms and colors on the side. It could hold twelve people on the inside of it compared to their old one which could only hold six. Johan also grabbed four of his own personal guards to join them for the trip.

They would be taking the quickest route to leave the city and head to the eastern gates of Dorn. The trip east would take a week before they would reach the capital if they pushed it. But with the extra protection they had now, they would be a little slower to their next destination.

And so the convoy left the Manor grounds and weaved its way through the city streets. Once they reached the Eastern gate, they headed straight to the main highway roads that would lead to Eldermyst City in two days. Eldermyst City was the second biggest city in the Eder Hills Domain.

Rya was sitting inside the carriage with Quinus, Nieren, Yuliana, Johan, Tayna, Dalia, and Percy.

She was in between Quinus and Dalia. She had a smile on her face and she looked out the window.

'What a crazy couple of days... It's starting to feel normal to be in this world...'

"What are you thinking about?" Quinus asked as he noticed her zoning out.

"Huh? O-Oh, I'm just thinking about how surreal everything has been for me..." Rya said while placing her left hand on top of Quinus' right hand.

He smirked, "I know... But it grows on you."

"Yeah... You're right."

And with that, the convoy started cruising down the open road. Just around 11:00 a.m. With nothing but a beautiful sky and the sounds of hooves galloping. They passed some people on the road but most of them had horses or carts with them. As they continued traveling they would occasionally stop for a break or lunch. But mostly they would ride on through the day and set camp for the night if there wasn't a town they could stop at before sundown. Luckily they were planning on stopping by a town named Edermines City and resting at the inn.

 

***

 

Back in the city of Dorn. Two men were sitting in a cafe right by the upper-class district. They looked like they were waiting for someone. One had his hood up while the other had shoulder-length black hair and a scar over his left eye.

"Do you think we can get an Eldritch Bond Collar and enslave the Dark Elf? Just like how the Black Roses did it back in Ironside? It's not like we can kill her, and if we pull it off, then we can become emperors overnight..." The man in the hood said.

"That's a fool's errand, Doug," The other man said as he sipped his tea.

"Really, Alac? Why is that? It happened once before and it can be done again, right?"

Alac looked over at Doug with a smirk and said, "Firstly, do you know an Artificer skilled enough to forge Eldritch Bond Collar?"

"Of course not. But how did the Black Roses get their hands on one?" Doug asked.

"The rumors are that Rudolf stole it from King Arnaud. I believe Arnaud was hoping to use that collar on one of the Wood Elf females as a trophy slave. It was probably one of the reasons why the Kingdom of Marn hunted down the Black Roses. It was an embarrassment for the Royal Family and the Noble's Guild," Alac said while drinking his tea.

"So what? We just find another Eldritch Bond Collar and buy it. Problem solved. It can't be that hard."

Alac sighed, "You think they sell those things in any shop?... Besides, the only race that knows how to create them are the demons, I think... Then there's a second problem. The Eldritch Bond Collars are extremely rare. This isn't your everyday slave collar, Doug. I heard from a reliable source that only ten collars have been created and only seven are known. So, if you do find one. It costs more gold than a kingdom has... I have no idea how King Arnaud Dupont stumbled into getting one in the first place. He must have been luckier than anyone I know... Until Rudolf stole it I guess..."

"Damn... Then there is no way to capture that dark elf for ourselves, is there?" Doug sighed.

"Well... that's the other problem. She was collared with the strongest slave collar known to Tertius. And it was destroyed while it was still on her. Which means she might be immune to getting collared again..."

"Are you fucking kidding me!?"

Doug stood up and slammed his hands on the table. Which got the attention of some bystanders.

Alac glared at him and whispered, "Shut up, you moron. Or do you want to give away our position to the Prince and his group?"

Doug quickly sat down and whispered, "Fuck... Okay... So, we can't get our hands on the dark elf, even if we collar her with an Eldritch Bond, right?"

Alac sighed, "Odds are it would slow her down at best. You could try to give her orders, but she will mentally resist and try to fight back. You can't enslave a monster like her anymore... I would suggest just kidnapping her and ransoming her off to the Meredydd Family or the Fiafyr Kingdom. But we would have to restrain her with something that would disrupt her mana flow. It's best not to dwell on it, Doug... We just need to track them for the Duke. And then we will get paid."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got it. I'm not saying we should try and take her. I'm just saying I'm upset that we can't."

Alac just shook his head and finished his tea. Just then a man came running up to them.

"Alac, Doug, I have found the Prince and his entourage. They are heading to the Eastern gate and I think they are heading to Edermines City."

"Dammit. I thought they would take the fairy and ride the rivers to the coast. This is a pain..."

"Why does it matter, Alac? All we have to do is send a raven to the Duke."

"It would have been easier to track them on the rivers is all. Now we need to put in more work... Is there anything else new you can tell us, Remy?"

Remy nodded his head, "It seems the young Lord, Johan Dule, and his wife have joined the Prince on his journey."

Alac was pleasantly surprised by this, "Really?"

"What are you thinking, boss?" Doug asked as he placed one copper coin on the table before they started to walk out of the cafe.

"His uncle is aiming to become the next Baron of Eder Hills. And he's offering a reward to the Duke to have Johan Dule dead or alive. If we capture him, it could lead to the downfall of the Dule family."

"Hmmm... I like that. But won't we need to get his approval for kidnapping him?"

Alac nodded, "Send a raven. While we gather some horses. If he doesn't deny us this mission, then we will go and kidnap the young lord."

"And his wife, boss?"

"Leave her, we have no need for a damaged woman. I doubt her father would even pay ransom for her. He hoped to have an in with this barony but if Linus becomes the next Baron... Well, it's a good thing that the Duke has the right to take Linus' lands and titles away from him. If he ever tries to betray the Duke after giving him the barony."

"So, it's a win-win, situation for us, huh? Alright, let's get this job done."

Alac and Remy started making their way out of the cafe and to the stable. While at the same time, Doug wrote a message for the raven to send to the Duke. Once the bird was sent Doug met up with the rest of the party of nine and started heading east to catch up to the Prince's convoy. They were hoping to get a response from the Duke by tomorrow so they could get ahead of them and set up an ambush.

 

***

 

It was late afternoon at the Divalo Manor. The butler, Belial, was going through the rooms of the manor. Making sure that the staff was cleaning the rooms properly. It was a daily routine that he had. It was the only way to make sure everything was up to code.

While walking around the second floor of the manor he noticed a raven flying by one of the windows.

'A messenger bird?'

He hurried to his office. Normally it would have gone to the Duke's Study if he had the window open but he wanted his privacy and Belial knew it was closed. So the raven would go to his office instead and wait there for someone to collect its message. When he walked into his office and the raven was waiting for him on his desk.

"Well, well, well. A raven? Who was the one that sent you, little one," Belial asked as he approached the desk.

The raven looked over at him and then hopped on his right hand. The butler took off the small piece of parchment off its leg and the raven flew from his hand and landed on the windowsill.

"Hmm, it's from Doug? Oh, this is about the Prince..." He said as he unrolled the note and started to read it.

"Well, well, well. Looks like the Young Master of House Dule is on the road with fewer guards than the prince. How interesting..."

The raven looked back at him as if it was curious.

"Stay here little one. I need to deliver a response," Belial said as he started making his way towards the Duke's Study.

 

Once he arrived at the door of his lordship's study he took a breath then knocked a couple of times. There was no response for a couple of minutes before he heard the Duke call him in. When Belial came inside, he saw the Duke reading a book and drinking wine.

"You better be here for a good reason, Belial," Duke Alaric said with a hint of annoyance.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, my Lordship. But I received a message from one of Alac's men. It seems the Prince's convoy has decided to travel by land to come to the capital," Belial said with a slight bow.

Alaric glanced up from his book with an unamused look on his face.

"And what of it? I'm not raising my armies in hopes that I can kill my nephew and that dirty dark elf."

"Yes, my Lord. But what's interesting is the young Lord of House Dule has joined him on the Prince's journey. And he only has four of his personal guards with him."

Alaric was quiet for a few moments as he thought it over.

"How many men does Alac have?"

"Ten including himself, my lord. If they capture the young Lord, then we can give him over to his uncle, Linus Dupree so he can take the title away from Johnathan Dule. Or you can take their lands for yourself."

The Duke thought about it some more, "How many knights are protecting my nephew and his whore?"

"Twenty-four Royal Knights, as well as, General Douglas, two of the prince's retainers, two wood elves, two dwarven Ironside soldiers, and a wolfkin. So thirty-two in total, not including the prince or his woman or the young Lord's guards."

"It is true that they are small in numbers... But with a healer by their side, it's too risky..."

"My lord? If the convoy is attacked they might think we are coming for the prince, instead of Johan Dule. If they can pull off a diversion, they might be able to kidnap him."

Alaric just looked at his butler with a curious look, "You have something planned, don't you Belial?"

Belial smirked, "If Alac could send one of his men as a spy, we could easily attack the convoy before they reach the Maldurian Domain. The prince and his men will believe that we are coming for them, which would allow the kidnappers to take the Young Lord. We can blame the attack on bandits or highwaymen. And no one will be the wiser."

Alaric thought about it some more before a small smirk appeared on his lips, "It is an interesting proposal... But I don't know about kidnapping Johan Dule. I worry that the Prince might give Chase and capture our spies... I can't have the minor nobles seeing my failures. But if you think they can kill the Young Dule and get away then you have my permission."

"Yes, my Lord. I will deliver the news to our men as soon as possible. Your brother will lose a close ally within a few days."

"Good, now leave me. I have to get back to my book."

"Yes, your Grace," Belial bowed before he left the room leaving the Duke alone, once again.

"I do not doubt that this plan of Belial will work. It has to... I need the major nobles to see how weak the prince's leadership is. And if he can't protect a pathetic excuse of a noble's son from a major house... Then they will see how unfit he is to lead... Soon, I'll gain more control over the Nobles and the Crown. Then I can have the king abdicate and make me the new ruler. And finally, I can kick out that spineless trash of a Prime Minister, then execute my nephew. Once, I get him to break up with that elf... Then I will have a proper heir who will lead my dynasty. Hehehe, The fates will bend to my will. Then I'll be the one laughing in the end..."  Alaric said to himself as he picked up his wine glass and took a sip.

36