17. Banquet pt. 2
192 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After hours of driving in the carriage, we finally arrived at the Grand Dukes estate. I took in the sight from the window. The Grand Duke's mansion was an imposing structure that commanded attention with its sheer size and ornate design. The exterior of the mansion was painted in bold black and gold colors, creating a striking contrast that caught the eye. The mansion had the appearance of an ornate fortress, with towering walls and intricate carvings decorating the facade.

The knights let us through the gates after confirming who we were, and we made our way to their parking space. While getting out, I struggled slightly, my legs stiff from the long ride. Thankfully, one of the knights came to my rescue and lent me a hand as I made my way down the carriage.

We were not the only ones. Around us were countless carriages of other nobles, guarded by their respective knights. The nobles stepping out of their own carriages, all dressed up with beautiful and expensive suits and dresses, wearing jewelry to impress. They walked towards the mansion.

“Come on.” My sister broke me out of my staring and took my hand to guide me. We followed after father towards the Mansion. I looked around, noticing that I was not the only child here. A lot of kids following their parents, even smaller than me took part in this banquet. Must be the perfect avenue to introduce them into this lifestyle.

Father took a look back at us, “When we are inside, you are expected to socialize with the people from your generation. Use this chance to make friends from other families.” He told us calmly.

I don’t particularly want to make friends with children, but it’s better than conversing with random nobles I guess. I nodded at his instruction and we made our way inside.

As we stepped inside, the grandeur of the mansion became even more apparent. The high ceilings were adorned with chandeliers that sparkled like diamonds, and the walls were lined with rich tapestries and ornate paintings. The floors were made of gleaming marble, and the furniture was upholstered in the finest fabrics. Everywhere you look, there was a sense of opulence and wealth, and i couldn’t help but be awed by the grandeur of the Grand Duke's mansion. Hard to believe somebody could have all of this.

In my past life I had never been rich, just working as a nurse. But seeing what the rich in this world had I wondered how much more those in my past life had. Probably everything they could ever want.

As I was lost in my thoughts, father and stepmother were already walking away from us, towards a different beautiful looking couple. Stepbrother looked around, probably looking for people his age. Seemingly having found someone, he walked away.

“You ok sis?,” sis asked me, “do you need help?” she looked at me in worry.

I shook my head, “Don’t worry sis, you go on,” I smiled at her, “I’ll make friends in no time.” She looked at me in suspicion for a moment, before settling on a nod. Wishing me good luck, she walked away as well.

Hmm, what should I do now, I thought to myself as I eyed the delicious pastries on the stand. I considered just ignoring what father said and simply enjoy myself in retaliation for having to showcase my magic.

I didn’t though, I was not an immature child. I eyed the other children. I saw a group of young girls with gaudy dresses and jewelry. Their parents must have dressed them to showcase their money. I immediately denied the notion of talking with them. Instead, I eyed a girl with a conflicted expression, looking around anxiously.

Our eyes met and she quickly looked down, shifting on her toes. I walked up towards her, wondering if she was alright. “Hey,” she startled as I talked to her, “are you alright?” I asked in a soft, coaxing voice.

She met my gaze nervously after seeing that I wouldn’t just walk away, “Y-yes,” she stuttered, “thank you for worrying.”

I gave her a friendly smile, trying to seem disarming. I gave her a curtsy and introduced myself, “Amber, daughter of Marquis Roman Frey.” I told her and waited expectantly.

She stared at me before widening her eyes in realization, “Ah, I’m sorry,” she quickly dipped into a curtsy, “Aliah, daughter of Count Lennon Hart. Pleased to meet you lady Amber.”

I chuckled at her trying so hard, “Don’t worry, you can just call me Amber.” I told her, hoping she would offer the same. I didn’t want to keep calling someone lady this, lady that.

She quickly shook her hands, denying it, “I could never,” she urgently replied, “it would be disrespectful of me to not use you your due titles.”

“I insist,” I told her, but she still looked skeptical, “how about this, I will call you by your name as well and if anybody asks, we are friends.” I gave her a friendly smile.

Her eyes widen, “F-friends?” she smiled brightly, “You want to be friends with me?” she said excitedly. I nodded my head at that, reassuring her.

She turned and muttered something excitedly while clenching her fist in success. She quickly turned around and took my hand firmly with both her hands, shaking it. With a bright smile, “I’ll be the best friend ever!” she seemingly lost all inhibition. What a weird girl.

The floodgates opened as she started talking to me about various different topics. How she had already started her studies and was really good at maths. She told me about her favorite color, her likes and dislikes.

She apparently also practiced archery in her free time. As I started talking about myself for a bit, telling her about the swordsmanship training I did with my sister, a boy around our age approaches us.

“Greetings ladies, I am Ferdinand, son of duke Alfreed Ashford,” he gave a bow, introducing himself confidently, “I wanted to introduce myself as you two seem to be friendly.”

We both curtsied in return, introducing each other, his eyes twinkled as he heared my fathers name. “My father has told me stories of the marquis and his incredible prowess with shadow magic,” he gushed over my father, “have you ever seen his magic?”

We started talking and I told him about my experience when he showed me his magic. How the sun had been blotted out and the cold darkness crept in my back. I shivered thinking back on it and cast my father a glance. He was still amongst the nobles, gesticulating with his hands as he spoke.

We talked some more and got to the topic of his life, his family's dukedom primarily focused on the production of food. He gave me some statistics, telling me how his family was responsible for over 50% of the food in the kingdom.

As we switched from topic to topic, Aliah brought up the subject of the academy. “Are you two excited for the academy as well?” she said with anticipation, “we will finally be able to learn magic!” she threw her arms up, making a grand gesture.

I smiled at that, knowing I can already cast some advanced level magic spells. Should I tell her? Or surprise her. Smirking, I decided to surprise her. Wondering what the academy had to offer, “What can you learn at the academy anyways?” I curiously questioned her, “I mean, besides the obvious.” I pointed at Aliah and Ferdinand started chuckling.

Aliah pouted, as Ferdinand started explaining, “You can pretty much learn anything at the academy,” he gave a slight smile, “they have one of the most extensive libraries in the kingdom after all. But if you’re asking me what courses they teach then I don’t know either,” he shrugged his shoulders, “I never asked.”

As we continued talking about the academy, we suddenly got interrupted. The lights around the hall dimmed and a spotlight shone toward the raised platform at the end. A man took the stage, “Greetings Lords and Ladies of the kingdom,” he gave a bow, “I hope you have enjoyed yourselves so far.” He gave a charismatic smile.

“Today, I wish to give the new generation a chance to show their skills. To give them a platform of their own, so they can distinguish themselves amongst their peers.” His voice resounded loud and widely, hyping up the event.

"It is with great pride and honor that I present to you the showcase of the new generation's magic talents. Our young nobles have worked tirelessly to hone their skills and are eager to display their abilities to all of you. We shall start with the oldest members of the new generation and work our way down to the youngest."

He gestured to the stage, where assistants had set up a series of magical dummies. "The floor is theirs, and I have no doubt that they will leave us all in awe. Please join me in giving them a warm round of applause." The guests cheered and clapped as the first noble stepped onto the stage, ready to show their magic to the world.

Unsure of what to do, I excused myself from my newly made friends and made my way to father.

15