36 Confrontations
4.9k 32 111
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Word of what Arnold said spread across the school like wildfire. By lunchtime, the verbal assaults and accusations had reduced to only a trickle and surprisingly, the inquiries from the curious had increased. Arnold ignored them, just like his mother and the vice-principal wanted, and he went to the biology lab. When he went to open the back door to the rear lab, it was locked.

“I've had to lock it every day.” A man's voice came from behind him and Arnold turned to see the biology teacher as he stood by the lab door. “Everyone knows you come here every day for lunch... when you aren't suspended.”

No sooner had the words left his mouth when a trio of girls appeared behind him.

“Hi, there!” The first girl said.

“Sir, can we speak to Arnold?” The second girl asked.

“I can't believe you two.” The third said with a sigh. “I'm the only one that still thought he was cute when he was a cheater.”

“Ladies, give us a few minutes. I need to talk to him first.” The biology teacher said and closed the door without waiting for a response. “You see? It's like this every day.” He said and turned around.

“Didn't you want more people interested in coming to the lab?” Arnold asked and the teacher sighed.

“I did.” He admitted. “I wanted them interested in the subject, however.”

Arnold stood there and didn't say anything.

“I heard that you took the summer apprenticeship.” The teacher said.

“Yes, sir.” Arnold responded. “We need the money, now that my father is dead.”

The biology teacher had a surprised look on his face for a moment, then sighed. “I'm sorry for your loss.”

Arnold didn't respond and the teacher nodded.

“You're thinking they are just words, right?” The biology teacher asked. “As meaningless as the fleeting emotions they represent?”

Arnold nodded this time.

“I agree. It's a little sanctimonious and very self-serving when people say that to a grieving person.” The teacher said and sat down at one of the lab tables. “Have a seat and I'll fill you in on what it's going to be like at the college this summer.”

Arnold walked over and sat down, then pulled out a brown paper bag with his lunch in it. The teacher smiled and took out his own lunch and the two of them ate while the teacher told Arnold about the different departments and how he will be scrutinized once he gets there and starts working. Since he won't have other classes to attend during the day, all of the little jobs will fall to him and will be his responsibility.

Arnold nodded and soaked in all the new knowledge. He had no problems with cleaning up and maintaining everything, doing inventory, and examining and judging the equipment for wear and possible replacement. The only thing he wouldn't have to do was mop the floors, because the janitors would handle that.

“I'm glad you see this as an opportunity and not the senior assistant dumping everything on you.”

“Is she any good, sir?” Arnold asked.

“She's quite talented in our art; but, she's a little lazy. She'll do exactly what's required and nothing else. It's still technically correct, and yet... it lacks the same passion as our work.”

Arnold slowly nodded. He understood having to do the bare minimum to get by, since he had to do that a lot over the years, just to get the other teachers to leave him alone. It wasn't until middle school that he learned it was a mistake and that the teachers really wanted him to do his best, no matter what the subject was.

“Now that you've been warned and have eaten, I'll release you to the hounds.” The biology teacher said and waved at the door. The three girls had their faces pressed up against the glass. They had waited there the whole time.

Arnold folded his brown paper bag and put it in his backpack, then tossed the remnants and wrappings of his lunch into the trash. He slung his backpack over his shoulders and opened the door.

“We were going to ask you to come to the cafeteria to eat.” The first girl said.

“Okay.” Arnold said and the three girls stood there and looked at him in surprise.

“But... you just...” The second girl said.

“Shh!” The third said. “Let's go!”

The three girls walked down the hallway and Arnold followed them. He didn't fail to notice the stares and two slightly angry faces among them. He ignored them and went to the cafeteria and the ambient noise reduced as everyone focused their attention on him. He got in line behind the girls and they talked in hushed whispers the whole time. He bought a plate of chicken fingers and fries and a soft drink and followed the girls to a long table, and successfully ignored a very pointedly angry glare from Heather.

Two of the girls, whom Arnold had dubbed One and Two because that was the order they spoke in, sat on one side of the table and Three sat on the other side. Since he was sitting with them, he obviously sat next to Three to balance them out. One and Two stared with slightly open mouths and Three smiled smugly. They all started to eat soon after, because lunch was about half over, and the cafeteria noise went back to full volume.

“Arnold.” One said. “What was that black girl like?”

“She's a bad influence.” Arnold said and One caught her breath and whispered to Two.

“The picture in the paper wasn't very clear and we could only see the side of her face.” Two said. “Was she pretty?”

Arnold thought about the conditions to get that description, like seeing her underwear. “No.”

One and Two whispered frantically back and forth for several seconds.

“Then why did you kiss her?” Three asked, a little surprised.

“I was saying goodbye to her, then the reporter showed up and asked me to kiss her again to take a picture.”

“Wow.” Three said. He didn't think she was pretty and he kissed her anyway!

“Is the biology teacher right? She's an assistant at the college?” One asked.

“Yes.” Arnold said.

“Will you be seeing her again?” Two asked.

“Yes. I'm working at the college all summer as an assistant in the same lab.” Arnold said.

Oh, my god! He really is working! Two almost chittered in delight as she turned to One and they talked in hushed whispers back and forth.

“Hello, Arnold.” Heather's harsh voice said and the three girls gasped and turned to look at her.

“Hello.” Arnold said and kept eating.

“I just came over to introduce my new boyfriend.” Heather said and hugged the guy's arm.

“You were a real asshole to cheat on Heather like that.” Brad said with a smirk.

Arnold didn't say anything.

“Hey, didn't you hear me?” Brad asked, slightly angry. “I called you an asshole!”

Arnold still didn't say anything, so Brad reached for Arnold's mostly full glass of soda.

“NO!” Three shouted, which got everyone in the cafeteria's attention, and she started to reach for the glass, too. Brad moved it out of her reach, then lifted it and poured it over Arnold's head. A lot of people gasped and shouted, both for and against Brad. Luckily, because of Arnold's buzz-cut, most of the liquid spilled off the back of his head and rolled off his backpack and onto the floor.

“What do you think of that?” Brad asked.

Arnold didn't react and kept eating.

“Arnold!” Heather said, nearly as angry at him as Brad was for not reacting. “Say something!”

“Your mother only let you have sex in the house because it was with me.” Arnold said and everyone in the cafeteria fell silent.

“Arnold!” Heather said, her face red.

“She said she didn't like any of your other boyfriends. She didn't trust them, or you, to leave you alone with them.”

“S-stop!” Heather said, her face beet red.

“Even when she found out that you had condoms in your room, she wouldn't tell me how many boyfriends you had when I asked. I could tell she lied when she said 'a few'.” Arnold finished eating and stood up with his tray. “Everyone hates me for just kissing another girl and no one is wondering how many boyfriends you've had sex with.”

“Shut your mouth!” Brad said loudly and made a fist, then smashed his hand into the tray Arnold held. Everyone was surprised when it barely moved and it didn't fly out of his hands. Brad slowly took his hand off the tray and glared at Arnold, because all he managed to do was tip over the empty glass. Arnold stood there calmly and didn't say anything else.

“C-come on, Brad.” Heather said and started to walk away.

“This isn't over.” Brad spat and walked after her.

No one said anything for a few moments, then Arnold felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned his head and saw that it was Kelly.

“She's been dating him for a week to try and get back at you.” Kelly said and took her hand back.

“My mother and the vice-principal said to ignore as much of them trying to get back at me as I can.”

“I told her she shouldn't have overreacted, and instead she...” Kelly sighed. “I'm sorry that she didn't listen and is trying to hurt you.”

Arnold turned his body to face her and his eyes quickly saw Heather sitting at the table with Brad and his friends. “You're not with them.” He said because there was no spot for Kelly.

Kelly shook her head. “I'm doing the same thing you are. I'm ignoring them as much as I can.”

“Including Heather.”

“I have to.” Kelly said. “Eric is the third guy on the left.”

Arnold looked right at him and he saw Eric turn his head away. “If we are both ignoring them, do you want to ignore them together?”

“Wh-what?” Kelly asked, surprised.

“You knew that I didn't mean anything by the kiss, didn't you?” Arnold asked and she nodded. “Out of all the people here, including the teachers, it was only you that believed me.” He put the tray down on the table and stepped close to her. “Do you want to be my girlfriend?”

“Arnold, I...”

“Exclusively.” Arnold said and there were several groans from around them. “We can't date anyone else.”

“Or kiss. No kissing anyone else.” Kelly said and leaned in close to whisper. “Except for your mom. She loves you and I know you mean a lot to her, so kissing her is okay.”

Arnold gave her a big smile. “I told her that you were smart.”

A few of the girls around gasped at the angelic smile, especially the trio right beside them. Kelly opened her mouth to respond to his comment and he put his arms around her waist and kissed her. He changed his technique slightly, so that he wasn't duplicating how he had kissed Heather. Kelly noticed the difference and really appreciated that, so she put her arms around him and kissed him back enthusiastically.

There were catcalls and whistles, quite a few sad whines, and several shouts as Arnold and Kelly made out in front of everyone. The cafeteria monitor had let the scene with Brad play out, mainly because she didn't really have the authority to break up a personal dispute between an ex-boyfriend and a new boyfriend. This kissing however, wasn't something that should be done in public.

“All right, that's enough.” The woman said and walked over to them and the new couple broke the kiss. “Please try to keep the lip-locking to a minimum on school grounds.”

“No.” Arnold said, to her surprise. “I'll kiss her whenever she wants me to.”

“Arnold...” Kelly started to say something and he gave her a quick kiss to stop her.

“I can only kiss you, so whenever you want a kiss, I'll give it to you.” Arnold said. “I don't care where we are or what we're doing.”

Kelly was actually flattered by that offer, so instead of saying no, she nodded.

“Aww! So cute!” One said.

“You said that out loud.” Two said with a smile.

“I wanted him to ask me out.” Three said, her voice full of disappointment. One and Two laughed and then the bell rang.

“All right, you lot. Get to class!” The cafeteria monitor said and walked back to her post.

Arnold took Kelly's hand and moved off to stand between the tables and waited for everyone to leave. Both Heather and Brad glared angrily at them as they passed.

“She's definitely angry at me, now.” Kelly said with a sigh.

“You should be angry at her for leaving you alone and going with Brad. She knows about you and Eric.” Arnold said and she raised her eyebrows at him.

“Arnold, she...”

“She thought getting back at me was worth hurting you.” Arnold said and squinted his eyes. “I don't like that.”

Kelly reached up and touched his shoulder with her free hand. “Please don't do anything else to Heather.” She said. “You stayed calm and didn't let them goad you. You handled that whole thing very well, if a little stickily.” She said and lifted her hand to show the sticky drying soda. “We should clean you up before...”

“No.” Arnold said. The cafeteria was nearly empty, so he led her out of the cafeteria and took her to her locker to get her books, then walked with her to class. Heather was already there and turned her head away as they walked over to their seats. Kelly sat down and caught her breath as Arnold took off his backpack to show the large wet stains on his shoulders and upper back.

“Did someone forget to dry off after their shower?” A guy in the back of the classroom asked, and a few people laughed.

“Brad dumped a glass of soda over his head.” A girl whispered loudly.

“Did they fight?” The guy asked.

“Nope. Arnold didn't react at all.” The girl said, and you could hear in her voice that she was impressed.

“You are such a backstabbing slut.” Heather said softly and Kelly let out a sob.

Arnold turned in his seat and looked right at Heather. “Don't ever speak badly of my girlfriend.” He said in a normal voice and everyone heard him.

Heather ignored the implied threat. “How long have you two been dating behind my back?” She asked. “I bet it was for almost as long as we did!”

“Kelly and I have been dating for eleven minutes and fifteen seconds.” Arnold said, to both Kelly's and Heather's surprise. “How long have you been dating Brad to get back at me?”

Heather opened her mouth to say, and she couldn't remember. “How long did we date?” She asked instead.

“Nine days, seventeen hours, twenty-three minutes and five seconds.” Arnold said and everyone around them was surprised, especially Heather.

“How.... how many times did we kiss?”

“Thirty-eight on the lips.” Arnold said. “A hundred and sixty-one on the-”

The class bell rang and no one heard what he said, and yet, they all knew what he said. The guys were a little disgusted at the number, and the girls... well, the girls had bright red envious faces.

“Okay, today's topic is Review!” The teacher said and the class groaned. “Now now, enough of that. You need this for the exam. Trust me.” He said with a smile.

None of the girls could concentrate, because all they could think about was Arnold. Especially Kelly.

111