157 Fun Activities
3.3k 11 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arnold and Annie had another couple of days of activities that Annie really enjoyed, especially having Arnold there with her. Her mood was happier and she never stopped smiling. Just like she had predicted, the week Arnold was home was the best time she had ever had. She didn't begrudge his occasional visits out to the shed to work, since he did it at night and he made sure to change out of his old clothes before coming into the house.

What Annie didn't know, was that Arnold was actually working on the police ID to try and figure out if he could put his own picture into it. They had visited the library the day before and he took his time looking for a book that he wanted on counterfeiting. It didn't really have what he wanted; but, it was enlightening in its own way. He had to use one of the library's computers to look up what he wanted.

Arnold made sure that he used some of the tricks Kelly had taught him about hiding his digital tracks, including using a VPN, or virtual private network, to hide the computer's identity. Once he did that, he discreetly looked up how to switch someone's picture in an ID. After a quick stop at a photo booth to get the right sized picture, his dissection tools and equipment he had brought home from college, turned out to be the perfect method to complete the task.

Of course, with no one able to trace his tracks, he looked up a few other things that he could work on in the shed. He memorized what he could, which was everything, since he was very interested in the materials and procedures for what he wanted to do, then he wiped the browser history and copied over files into the same directory to overwrite the physical space.

Arnold had worked every evening at a late time to finish his work and it didn't disrupt his mother's plans at all. He also burned up all the 'old contaminated clothes' he had, which just happened to include all of Officer Hallman's clothes that he had taken from the house. Since he had already established that he would burn the old clothes, his mother never questioned why the barbecue pit was used every night.

On the Saturday before he had to go back to the college, Arnold surprised his mother and his neighbour Beth by offering to trim her hedges and bushes next weekend. Neither of them had the proper equipment and he told them not to worry about it, because he knew exactly where to get it. Annie didn't say anything, even though she knew where he meant to go to get them.

Annie drove him all the way over to Claire's place and they both went to the front door. Arnold knocked without preamble and a few moments later, the door opened.

“Arnold!” Claire gasped when she saw them. She wore loose jeans and a t-shirt so baggy that she looked tiny inside of it. “Annie, how are you?”

“I'm fine.” Annie said and hid the fact that she was a little uncomfortable at the situation. “Arnold was wondering if we could borrow some of your lawn care equipment.”

“I really should ask what for.” Claire said with a smile. “I'm pretty sure I know why, though.”

“I need the large hand shears and the hedge trimmer.” Arnold said. “I already have a hatchet for the tree branches.”

Claire nodded. “You know where everything is in the tool shed.” She said and waved her hand behind her. “Help yourself to whatever is there.”

“Thank you.” Arnold said as he stepped forward and gave Claire a quick kiss, which shocked her. He walked around the house and disappeared from sight.

“I'm sorry about that.” Annie whispered. “Since the break up, he's been a little more outgoing lately.”

Claire took a breath and tried to get her blush to go away. “It's all right.” She said. “I mean it. I know he can be like that. I just... it was unexpected that he would do that in front of you.”

Annie chuckled. “You should have seen Katheryn's face when he thanked her that time she let us stay over for the weekend.”

Claire's eyes went wide. “He did not!”

Annie nodded several times. “She hid in the kitchen when he left Sunday night, just so she didn't have to tell him not to kiss her goodbye.”

Claire laughed. “Oh, that poor woman. It must have been a thrill for her.”

“Or mortifying, considering how Arnold's and Kelly's relationship had become so rocky at the time.”

Claire gave her an inquisitive look for a moment, then she caught her breath. “That's what Heather meant when she told me about it.” She said. “Katheryn tried to... tempt him... despite Kelly's restrictions.”

Annie nodded. “It was a right mess and I was tempted to speak my mind...”

“You mean yell your head off and curse at them?” Claire asked and Annie laughed.

“Pretty much.” Annie said.

“I'm sorry about how things turned out.” Claire said, her voice low.

“So am I.” Annie said. “So are Kelly and Arnold. Kelly's father? He's ecstatic.”

Claire sighed. “Yes, Kenneth would be.”

Arnold walked by them and went to the car. He put the items into the trunk and went back to the front door of the house. “I also took the long handled cutters.”

“Be careful with everything, all right?” Claire stepped out and hugged him. “The last thing any of us wants is you getting hurt.”

“Okay.” Arnold said and hugged her back. “I'll bring them back when I'm done.”

“I'd appreciate that.” Claire said and let him go. “Make sure you're not rushing to do it, though. I don't mind letting you keep them for longer if the job is a bit too big for two days work.”

“I'll get it done.” Arnold said.

“Then I'll see you next weekend.” Claire said to him and looked at Annie. “You, too.”

“Arnold would look a little funny trying to ride the bus with a hedge trimmer.” Annie said with a chuckle. “See you then.”

“Bye.” Claire said and watched them walk back to the car. She gave them a wave and then they were gone. She closed the door and leaned against it as she touched her lips with her fingers. Annie didn't react at all when he kissed me. She thought. She noticed how much I liked it and thought I was just embarrassed and she apologized. She smiled. It's a start, I guess.

Claire walked back to the living room and picked up the stock catalogue for the store and got back to work. She didn't have to do this, she knew she didn't, and she did it anyway. It was all for appearances and she would never let anyone accuse her of dumping everything onto the manager, especially the manager. She took out her cell phone and typed up a text to tell the manager that she was ready to resume their conference call.

*

Annie had booked that park excursion event again for the day, so they drove all the way to the college to meet up with everyone else that was going. Doris took the day off to join them, as did most of the girls on the dorm floor and a couple of their friends. Cynthia rented another bus to bring everyone and the charity organizers were shocked when the bus pulled up and twenty people stepped off of it.

“Hi, again!” Annie said as she dragged Arnold out of the crowd and over to the table that the man and woman stood behind. “I told you that I'd bring more people next time.”

The two people just stared at her with surprised expressions.

“Um... yes, you...” The woman blinked her eyes and looked at them all. “You might have to share some of the blankets and picnic baskets.”

Annie chuckled. “That's not going to be a problem.” She said as Doris and Janet came over and stood behind her and Arnold.

“We will wait for another ten minutes to see if anyone else will show up, then we'll get this show on the road.” The man said with a smile, happy at the larger turn out than he expected.

Annie dropped a donation into the can they had on the table, then Arnold did. Doris and Janet did it next, then every other person that had arrived on the bus made a donation. The two people running it were once again stunned as the donation can quickly filled up.

Ten minutes later, a dozen more couples showed up for the activities and the day of fun began.

*

Janet couldn't believe what she was seeing. Doris and Annie, both in their forties, were acting like little kids at a playground. They were laughing and carrying on, without a care in the world about who was seeing them act that way, namely college girls half their age and everyone else at the park. It totally destroyed Janet's previous opinions and preconceptions of Arnold's mother and Doris the Dorm Mother.

The biggest surprise had been Dianne and two other lab workers had come, too. Janet was pretty sure that they found out through Cissily complaining about her mother Doris going. Of course, Arnold going was next to be leaked as was his mother being there. She hadn't known the reason why Dianne wanted to be there, not until they played Human Checkers and Dianne had taken it upon herself to 'help' Annie by holding her hand and did her best to keep Annie's laughing under control.

Despite Dianne's best efforts, it didn't work and Annie still lost. That only made her laugh more, though. She really was there to have fun and she did. There were other activities, different from the last time, and Annie pretty much led everyone around to do them all.

Where is she getting all of her energy? Janet asked herself when the organizers finally announced it was picnic time and they were bringing the activities to a close. She followed Annie, like she had all morning, over to the large area where several dozen picnic blankets were laid out. She sat down with a huff and a sigh, missed that Annie and Dianne walked away, and looked at Arnold. “Can I bother you to be my pillow for a bit? I'm bushed.”

“Okay.” Arnold said and sat down next to her and pat his lap.

Janet didn't hesitate as she moved over to the side, then she laid her head down on his thighs and stared up at his face. “Thank you.”

Arnold bent down and gave her a quick kiss. Doris had stood there and watched, a little amazed at it.

“Aww, that's so cute.” Dianne said as she and Annie walked over. “Annie grabbed the basket with ham and cheese sandwiches.”

“Nope. I grabbed the one with brownies in it.” Annie said and Doris sat down beside Janet's knees as she looked at Annie's brownie covered lips.

“I think one tried to escape and you applied corporal punishment.” Doris said with a smile.

“It was two and they deserved it.” Annie said with a smug expression, which made Doris and Dianne laugh.

“I'd still be holding her hand if she didn't insist on carrying the basket and making appropriate brownie sacrifices.” Dianne said and half-knelt half-sat, with her legs only partially out from underneath her, then she motioned for Annie to sit. She did, right beside Arnold, and Dianne finished her movement and copied Janet by laying down on Annie's lap. “Annie, this was a great idea.”

“Thanks.” Annie said and looked down at the young woman on her lap. “You're not going to be able to eat like that.”

“You can feed me.” Dianne said and opened her mouth as she stuck out her tongue. “Ahhhh!”

Annie chuckled and held out a sandwich. “Up, missy.”

Dianne sighed and sat up, then took the sandwich. “I was just copying Janet.”

“She's not staying there, either.” Annie said and Janet sat up.

“I was only borrowing his lap for a bit.” Janet said with a smile and took the sandwich Annie handed to her. “I might need it again after I eat. I'm still tired.”

“I hear that.” Doris said and took a sandwich as well. “It was fun while it was going on...”

“...our bodies are going to pay for it later.” Annie said and poured out five small plastic cups of soda pop for everyone. “It's worth it, though.”

“I'd say so.” Janet said and started eating. “This was really odd and fun at the same time.”

Dianne chuckled. “It really was.” She said and looked at Annie. “It would have been a great date if someone would only admit that she likes my company more than she thinks she does.”

Annie shook her head. “I told you. I'm flattered. Really flattered.” She said and took a bite of her sandwich. “It doesn't matter how many passes you make or how pretty you are, I just can't date you.”

“You... you think I'm pretty?” Dianne asked and her face flushed red as she blushed. “Th-thank you.”

Doris chuckled. “Even though people tell her she's pretty all the time, she dismisses it and only blushes when she knows the person actually means it.” She said and took a drink of soda pop.

“Really?” Annie looked from Doris to Dianne and both of them nodded. “I don't really know what to say to that.”

“A genuine compliment always makes me emotional.” Dianne said and took a drink of pop. “To you it was an off-hand statement describing me, and to me it was confirmation that you do see me as pretty and I'm not just some girl you met at college.”

“You are some girl I met at college.” Annie said and Dianne laughed softly.

“You're such a kidder.” Dianne said and looked at Arnold. “You're so lucky to have such a wonderful mother.”

Arnold nodded and they finished off the sandwiches, brownies, and pop. The organizers announced the same thing as last time, that they had to relax and gaze at the clouds. Arnold packed everything up and laid down right in the middle of the blanket. Janet, Doris and Annie exchanged looks.

“I called dibs on his lap before.” Janet said with a smile.

“Share the chest?” Doris said to Annie, who chuckled.

“He has two shoulders, so we should fit.” Annie said.

“Can I use your lap, Annie?” Dianne asked.

“I guess so.” Annie said.

“Thank you.” Dianne said happily and waited for Annie to lay down and cuddle into Arnold's shoulder, then she laid down nearby and rested her head on Annie's lap. Doris was tucked into Arnold's other shoulder and his arm was partially around her, which she really liked. Almost as if they coordinated it, all four women let out contented sighs. A moment later, the four of them laughed.

They spent the next few minutes making jokes at the clouds and the shapes they made, then they fell silent as the activities of the day hit them and they dozed off a little. Even Arnold took the cue and let the feeling of people using him as a pillow lull him to sleep.

Half an hour passed and a low buzzing sound flowed over everyone. A whispered announcement said that the time booked in the park was coming to an end and that the day of activities was over.

“I don't want to get up.” Janet admitted. “This is just too nice to give up so soon.”

“I agree; but, we can't just stick around and stop them from packing up.” Annie said and gently touched Dianne's shoulder. “We need to get up.”

“Five more minutes.” Dianne whispered. “Janet's right.”

“But...” Annie started to object.

“Everyone else is going over to them right now and they're busy.” Doris said, also reluctant to get up. “I think we have a few minutes to spare.”

Annie took a breath and let it out. “A few more minutes won't hurt, I suppose.”

They laid there for several minutes and Annie glanced over at the table where the organizers were and saw the crowd was almost gone.

“We need to go.” Annie said and pat Arnold's arm that was partially around her. He let her go and let Doris go, then Dianne and Janet sighed as their pillows started to move. The four of them got up and helped fold the blanket up, then they walked over to the table.

“Thank you so much for coming today.” The woman said and accepted the blanket. “You really helped us out a lot with everyone you brought.”

“It was no trouble.” Annie said. “Once I told them what it was like, they all wanted to come.”

“I know Pam really wanted to.” Janet said. “She had to work and couldn't take it off.”

“Why is that?” Annie asked as they walked over towards the bus.

“She just got a raise from the boss and can't slack off.” Janet said with a smile.

Doris chuckled. “Can you imagine that conversation? Pam, here's a raise for doing good work. Thanks, boss. Can I take the day off to laze around at the park?”

Annie and Dianne laughed.

Janet laughed, too. “That would definitely piss him off royally.”

“Piss who off?” Cynthia asked as they passed by her to get on the bus.

“Pam's boss if she asked for a day off after getting a raise.” Arnold explained.

Cynthia laughed. “Yes, that would do it.” She said and followed them onto the bus. When everyone sat down, she stayed standing. “I'd like to thank Arnold and his mother for inviting us out to this thing today.”

There was a chorus of agreement and a few offers to repay Arnold that Cynthia chose to ignore.

“I had a lot of fun.” Cynthia said.

“We all did!” Someone shouted. “I love you, Arnold!”

“Debbie, you're supposed to be the quiet one.” Cynthia admonished her and Debbie giggled. “As I was saying...” She looked at Annie and then at Arnold. “Thank you for today.”

Arnold stood up and gave her a quick kiss. “Thank you for the bus when we went bowling.” He said, to her surprise, then he kissed her again. “Thank you for the bus today.”

Cynthia's face was bright red. “You're welcome.”

Arnold sat down again and Cynthia told the driver to take them back to the college and sat down herself. She did her best to not look across the aisle at Arnold or try to let on that she really liked those brief kisses. She also remembered him kissing Rebecca, really kissing her, and she wanted to experience it like she had.

The bus dropped them off at the college and after a brief goodbye, Annie and Arnold drove back home.

77