Chapter 39 – Slow Morning
2.1k 21 89
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucia and I ended up making out with each other until it was about 2:30 in the morning.

Which meant that when the school bells rang just 6 hours later, the two of us weren’t really prepared for it.

“Ugh, when the hell are they gonna get rid of those bells and replace them with some enchanted wind chimes?”

“Probably whenever those things become affordable for the school.”

“So never then?”

“Yup.”

“I feel like we’ve had this conversation before.”

Lucia remarked before rubbing her eyes a little.

“Anyway, we should probably get going in a bit, my class starts in 30 minutes and I think yours starts in about an hour, right Otto?”

“Something like that.”

“You don’t know when your own class starts?”

Lucia asked with a smidge of confusion present in her voice.

“I just kinda show up and hope that I’m not late.”

“And that has just been working out for you for the past few weeks?”

“The teacher I have doesn’t really keep track of who’s in their class everyday and only really cares about the grades each student gets.”

Frankly, I doubt Jeremiah even remembers the names of half the people in my class, let alone care whether or not each and every one of us shows up everyday.

“Well in that case, I guess enjoy it while you can. You’ll probably get a stricter teacher the next time we have to choose our classes again.”

“When’s that exactly?” 

“In a couple months.”

Lucia remarked while nuzzling my neck.

“Just enough time for me to figure out what’s the next easiest class to get into.”

“Gunna go into woodcutting or perhaps maybe clockmaking?”

“Actually, I’m thinking that I might try and get into astronomy class.”

“Wait really?”

Lucia asked excitedly.

“What’s with the sudden change in tone?”

“I’m gonna be taking the exact same class next quarter! Which means that we might actually be in the same class for once!”

“Really? Here I was thinking that you were just gonna take some master level abjuration classes next quarter.”

I said with a grin on my face.

“Please, the only reason I took abjuration classes in the first place is because the school requires anyone who’s going into a magical field to pass at least 2 of those types of classes.”

Lucia remarked while shoving a couple items into her knapsack.

“And speaking of which, have you decided on what you wanted to do after we graduate, Otto?”

“Hmm, I think that I wanna be a librarian after we get out of here, or at the very least a shelf stocker at some bookstore.”

I replied after thinking about my response for a few seconds.

“Yeah, that suits you.”

“What do you mean?”

“You usually have pretty grounded expectations, so it wouldn’t really make sense if you wanted to become something like I dunno, supreme emperor of the world?”

“I feel like most people wouldn’t want to become something like that if they were given the choice.”

“You’d be surprised.”

Lucia remarked with a hint of annoyance present in her voice.

“Anyhow, we’ve wasted enough time chatting, let’s freshen up a little and head to class.”

Lucia said before begrudgingly releasing me from her embrace.

“Sounds good.”

I replied while stretching my arms a little.

Then the both of us simply went about our morning routine and then started heading over to Lucia’s classroom.

And somewhere along the way, we decided to start talking about the most recent novels that we’ve been reading.

Which went about as well as one would expect.

“Lucia, there’s no way that Monette could have avoided getting cursed by the snake idol.”

“He could’ve just not taken it away from the ancient temple.”

“But that would have meant that he had to go against the orders he was given and lose his job.”

“If I were put in his position I would have just cut my losses and tried to find a new job.”

“Well, that doesn’t really make for a good story, now does it?”

“I beg to differ. In fact, I think that I end up enjoying stories with anticlimactic resolutions more compared to the ones that don’t.”

“Your taste in literature never ceases to confound me.”

“Don’t you read basically anything that you can get your hands on?”

Lucia asked while squinting her eyes a little.

“Still can’t be much worse than what you read on a daily basis.”

I said before shrugging my arms.

“Yeah right, I’m pretty sure I saw you reading an instruction manual dealing with silos the other day.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“Otto, when in your life are you ever gonna even interact with a silo?”

“I dunno, whenever I get the chance to go to a farm?” 

I responded with a bit of an optimistic expression on my face.

In turn, Lucia just stared at me incredulously for a second before sighing.

“You’re lucky that you’re cute, Otto.”

Lucia said before tightly wrapping her right arm around my own.

“Anyhow, do you by any chance have time to spare this afternoon?”

“Mhmm, I don’t have any exams for a while so I’ve got a ton of free time.”

“Great, then do you wanna check out a weird enchanted crystal ball thing that my parents sent me and Ameil?”

“What does it do exactly?”

“Neither of us have any idea what it does currently, probably nothing bad though.”

“Did your parents not send you instructions along with it?”

“Most of the time yeah, but sometimes mom gets the bright idea to not include instructions with the thing she sends us so that we have to work together to figure out what exactly it does. According to her it apparently makes us get along better.”

“And has that ever worked out?”

“Nope, not even once. In fact, I think it’s had the opposite effect. I’ve never been more pissed off than when I have to figure out how a magical item works with Ameil.”

“I see… welp, since I wouldn’t want a brawl between the two of you breaking out and causing the next rapture event to happen, I guess I’ll help you guys out with this.”

“Good to see that we’re on the same page.”

Lucia said before releasing me from her grip.

“Anyway, it looks like we’re here. Thanks for being my escort again, Otto.”

Lucia remarked after giving me a quick peck on the cheek.

“No problem, it’s always nice when I get the chance to spend some extra time with you.”

“You say the cheesiest things sometimes.”

Lucia said before gently poking me in the shoulder.

“Look who’s talking.”

I replied with a sizable grin on my face.

“Yeah yeah. Alright, I’ll see you in a few hours, try not to do anything stupid before then.”

Lucia said playfully while adjusting my tie.

“Same goes for you.”

I replied while adjusting her tie.

In turn, Lucia just nodded appreciatively before waving goodbye and entering the Abjuration classroom.

89