Chapter 40 – Dull Lesson
1.7k 16 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Lucia went into the Abjuration classroom, as usual I simply walked all the way to the Calligraphy classroom and took a seat towards the back of the room.

There were far less people present in the classroom than there were last week.

Probably because they finally caught on to the fact that Jeremiah doesn’t really care about attendance.

Which made sense, considering that the only reason I’m still going to his class regularly is because I have nothing else to really do during this time of day.

Well, aside from staring at the vacant ceiling of my dorm room or rereading through a couple of my favorite books.

A few minutes after I got to my seat, Jeremiah entered with a cup of coffee in one hand and a clipboard in the other.

He seemed to be in a pretty good mood, despite the fact that he had bags under his eyes.

“Morning class, today you’ll just be doing what you did the day prior, except in reverse. Essentially, you’re just gonna be figuring out how to write curly letters from right to left.”

Jeremiah remarked while setting down his coffee and picking up a piece of chalk lying on his desk.

“I’m sure it’s nothing you guys can’t handle.”

He said in a lackadaisical tone before starting to scribble a bunch of words on the board.

In turn, I simply just nodded and began jotting down what was being written on the board.

And since his instructions were barely legible, I could only grasp half of what he was trying to explain to us.

Luckily, this wasn’t too much of a problem.

After all, my grades were still high enough that I could probably afford to not show up for a whole week.

Though, even if that weren’t the case, Jeremiah usually hands out extra credit assignments at the end of each section anyway, so I’m not too worried about not being able to comprehend everything that he was currently jotting down.

Basically, it’s just gonna be another day of sitting around and pretending that I actually know what I’m doing.

I sighed before continuing to jot down gibberish in my notebook and periodically glancing through the window located on the left side of the room.

The next hour or so went by pretty slowly, and the whole lesson ended up being tedious and difficult to follow.

Which, when paired with the fact that I didn’t exactly sleep last night, made it really easy to fall asleep before the class period ended.

Luckily for me, this didn’t end up being the case.

As just when I was about to pass out, the school bells chimed and indicated that the class period had come to a close.

“Ugh.”

I grumbled groggily before pulling my knapsack over my shoulders and leaving the calligraphy classroom.

I can’t say that I retained much of the information that was given to me.

Although, I guess that isn’t too surprising, when considering my circumstances.

“Who’s idea was it to have classes this early again?”

I said, slightly annoyed before stretching my arms a little.

Then I simply just started strolling towards the path that led to the lunch line.

The walkway ended up being a lot more crowded than it was the week prior. 

And to make matters worse, for some odd reason the air also felt more humid today as well.

“Just my luck.” 

I said dejectedly before taking a spot in line and trying to block the sun’s rays with my right hand.

Not even a second later, I felt a cool sensation overtake the back of my neck.

In response, I quickly turned around and instantly figured out where it was coming from.

“You alright, Otto? You look kinda out of it today. Well, more than you usually do, anyway.”

Lucia said in a mischievous tone before handing me a cold glass cup of water with a straw.

“The heat’s just frying my brain a little, that’s all.”

I remarked before rubbing the back of my neck and accepting the drink from her.

“Really? Honestly, the weather is pretty tame right now considering where we are.”

“...You’re telling me, it can get worse than this?”

“Yup, to the point where the school gets canceled on account of the heat.”

“I didn’t even know that was something that could happen.”

I said after taking a sip of pink lemonade.

“It happens more often than you’d think. In fact, I’m pretty sure school has gotten canceled more because of the heat and not snow around here.”

Lucia remarked before wrapping her arm around my free arm.

“Anyway, how’s your day going, Otto?”

“Aside from the weather, I’d say I’m doing alright. Class was pretty boring, as usual. How about you?” 

“Had to do an exam that wasn’t enjoyable at all in the slightest.”

“Sorry I asked. Though to be fair, when has an exam ever been enjoyable?”

“When it gets canceled.”

“Touché.”

“I’m pretty sure that most of the multiple choice questions and half of the written section wasn’t even based off of shit that was taught in class, but I digress.”

Lucia said with a hint of annoyance in her voice before taking a sip out of the glass of water that she handed me.

“All you have to know is that it was a pain to deal with.”

“I’ll take your word for it.”

“Good. Now, have you seen Ameil around?”

“No, why do you ask?”

“He left about 30 minutes ago to grab the package mom sent us and hasn’t come back since. I’m starting to think that he got bit by some poisonous snake on his way back here.”

“Didn’t know that you cared about his health that much or well at all for that matter.”

“Just enough, to the point where I’d get slightly disappointed if he fell off a cliff and not bat an eye if he got stranded on some desert island.”

“Surely, you’re exaggerating.”

“Maybe a little.”

Lucia said before shrugging.

“Anyhow, if you haven’t seen him either, we should probably go looking for him after we grab our lunches.”

“That is, if we can even get our lunches today.”

I remarked while gesturing to the large number of people who were currently ahead of us in the line.

“If it comes to it, I wouldn’t really mind getting detention for clearing the rest of the crowd with magic.”

“I feel like you’d get expelled for doing a stunt like that.”

“Please, it’s not like I’d be incinerating them or anything. I’d just be making the air around them a little bit more humid.”

“…In that case, give it another 15 minutes before you decide to do anything with your magic.” 

I whispered to Lucia.

In turn, she simply just nodded and gave me a thumbs up.

77