8. Catalyst
47 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Fooooh!" Breathing out, the last of the pain in my body was relieved. My wounds have finally healed, "Nice! I can finally move around again!"

"Older brother, are you healed now!?"

"Yes! Older brother is healed now!"

My strength has finally returned. I could even pick up and throw Nina in the air without reserve. My body felt like it was freed. Even though it could not even begin to compare with my old one. That trained vessel had been trained and refined as much as possible. However, I still felt even lighter than before!

Nothing beats being young.

"Hahaha, yay! Older Brother is well now! I can take his side dishes now!"  I stopped and saw Nina smiling back at me with a cute, malicious grin on her little face, "You promised… remember?"

"Ye-yeah, they are yours now."

"Yay!!!!"

She ran out and celebrated extorting her brother… no she just made me hold up the end of my deal. Yet that felt even more sinister than her extorting me for her own profit, "She's only six years old."

A terrifying six years old. I still don't know much about my own little sister.

"What are you doing staring off into the distance like that?" Bass arrived with his usual uninterested expression.

"Don't you think Nina is a little bit too cunning? Or is it just me?'

"What are you talking about? Here, the others are already waiting for you." asked Bass as he handed me a bow and a quiver of arrows, "Well, Nina is a mystery. But it might be because he takes after Dad."

"..." Oh yeah, I forgot he wasn't aware that Nina was adopted. Did he know when that time came? I wonder.

"What?"

"Nothing, I was thinking of teaching you guys the next step."

"Really!?"

"Only if you perfect the Eight Foundational Extremes of the Spear. I'll judge you guys later. So tell everybody to do their best."

"Okay~"

Without missing a beat, he left carrying the pole and a happy expression on his face, "Now, what should I teach them later? Well, I'll give them one that suits them."

I had a lot of techniques I still remember by word to this day. They were mostly techniques that My Lady created out of a whim, but they should do well for them.

"Archon, what took you so long? I thought your injuries were healed now?"

"I was extorted by my sister, hahaha."

By the Western Gate the other Patrol Squad were waiting for me. The one who just called me was a young man who was the same age as me. He was our neighbor and was the one who always called out to me.

His name is Theo. His second name was Rabbit ears. His body was far more well-built than mine. Theo was also someone who loved being lively and was full of energy. I don't mind being around him. Which makes me lucky as he was also my partner in the Patrolling the perimeter.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked with a wide smile on his face holding a spear.

"Yes, let's go."

Entering the Forest that's a hundred meters away from the Village, we first bowed and then entered.

The job of the Patrol Squad was simple. It was to check if there were any signs of the beast wandering too close to the tree line.

We looked for marks as far as a hundred meters deep into the Forest to ensure that there weren't any. Birds and the like were not something we worried about.

"Archon, a footprint, what do you think it is?"

A three pronged footprint with a circular mark in the middle. It was the size of a foot and there's one animal in the forest that matched this description, "A Red Goon Lizard… we're about 75 meters away from the entrance of the forest, mark it gray."

A Red Good Lizard was a solitary creature that's two meters tall. Its body was covered in red scales and walked on two strong hind legs. Its head was made entirely of a skull stronger than steel that it uses to bash its prey's head to kill them.

A dangerous creature and one of the Hunting Squad's prey.

The Hunting Squad were the adults from the Village. They go around killing for meat and to meet the quota set by the owner of the land.

The job of the Patrol Squad was to make sure that the perimeter around the Village was all clear. We mark and list out anything we encounter and then if we see anything that poses any danger, we report our findings to the Leader of the Village and have the Hunting Squad check for us.

This gives the Patrol Squad experience in hunting that we'll need in the future.

We returned to the Village and reported to the Village Leader's wife. She will later relay to the Village Leader who is out hunting at the moment. If they had any more questions, they will call us.

But she thanked us and we were dismissed.

"Theo, I'm going to meet with the others. Are you going to come?"

"Sorry, but I'll have to check on the children."

"Oh right, you were assigned to teach the boys, right?"

I nodded and we waved goodbye to each other.

That's right, I was given the chance to act as the teacher of the younger generation. Partially because the last teacher died and before they could fill the hole, I stepped in and took over.

When the Village Leader as well as my parents learned of this, they called me for questioning.

"I heard your teaching has been superb and that the children's spearmanship has shown improvement so quickly. Where did you learn?"

It wasn't an interrogation and more about a simple questioning born from curiosity. The Village Leader wasn't strict and was more like Dad who is happy-go-lucky with his life, after all.

Well, I simply answered with, "Haha, I had the Vagabond who visited us in the past teach me some thighs and I just refined it and now I am teaching the other children."

"Ah! How lucky! How truly lucky we are for your generosity of choosing to share what you learned! Darius must be proud of you."

And now that a month has passed, and I am here to check on their progress.

A month has passed since I took over the education of the younger generations. The five boys were now training harder and were seeing the fruits of their efforts.

When I arrived, they were already lined-up waiting for my arrival. The little girls were also there with the refreshments and towels.

They were sent by their parents in the notion that they were to help. But I'm pretty sure they were sent to make me look after them.

Well, I don't really mind.

"Hooh, it seems like you guys are serious about this. Come on, begin, show me what you've learned."

"HAP!" They begun by thrusting their spears forward.

With every strike they made the wind would begin to blow harder. They moved their bodies in accordance with what I taught them. Half a step forwards and retreating by gliding their foot on the ground to pivot and change their positions whilst being able to maintain their dominance.

An interconnected set of eight movements of the spear. A thrust that could pierce anything. Two horizontal strikes that could parry and cut trees with nary but a light flick. A downward and upward swing to cover both planes. Lastly, three movements to parry, deflect, and pin.

They performed it beautifully. I'd say their proficiency reached five percent of the technique, but that is enough. Only one pervert training in one technique all his life is needed. I don't need a successor for that.

The Eight Foundational Extremes of the Spear. That's what I taught them. It was a technique Lady Metis created.

Spear, Sword, Saber, Hammer, Fist, Legs, Bow, and Chains or rope depending on the person. The Eight Weapons series. It was master created in order to experiment

"Now that you're learning cultivation. You should learn how to do martial arts as well."

"It's not good to lie, My Lady."

"What do you mean, lie? You incorrigible brat, how dare you doubt my good will?" My Lady's cheeks turned chubby as she turned away in a huff.

"Didn't you create that just to prove you can create martial arts?"

She pouted and laughed to herself before continuing to drink tea.

In the end, I accepted her teachings and that's how I could use weapons without

"Woah, they are amazing, older brother." Nina's eyes were burning with amazement as she looked at Bass and the others.

"Want to learn how to do that too?"

"I can!?"

"Yes, of course, if you want to. Ninaberus needs to be powerful as well, right?"

"Yes!"

After this day. Change would begin.

And Nina approaching me on learning Martial Arts would be its Catalyst.

4