Chapter 283
4k 11 126
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a moment of silence, the audience in the arena started to shout out. They just witnessed a half-naked man lifting up half of the arena’s ground and flipping it with the large dragon on it. It just looked like he dug his hands into the ground and pulled out a large part of the ground from underneath.

The Summoned Land Dragon roared loudly before all the noises stopped. Now everyone was looking at a big pile of rubble and with only the half-naked man before it. His long white hair was waving around from the wind pressure and he looked quite happy for some reason.

‘See Beatrice, what did I say? No problem!’

Zhang Dong looked at the rubble before him that he just flipped on his opponent. After being able to come out he started performing some tests. For one thing, he was quite a lot weaker than he would like to be.

At this moment he wasn’t even able to reach the core formation level if he wanted to remain in his full-bodied form. The monster that he was fighting was about at the strength level of a late stage foundation establishment beast.

He himself was a bit stronger while only utilizing his body refining technique instead of his Qi cultivation. There was enough mana for him to use from Beatrice to maybe perform one stronger Qi attack but that would probably tire his summoner out. He was already minimizing the strain on her by not wearing most of his clothes. The usual boxers he used were also replaced by a loincloth to lower the expenditure even further.

Before he could raise his fist high in victory he heard something. There was a rumble in all that rubble that he created. This made him also notice the instructor that Beatrice was up against. He could see the man injecting mana down where his opponent would be. In a few moments, he knew why as the Land Dragon showed his frog-like face to him.

‘The books did say that summoners have that utility as well.’

Zhang Dong had gone through the library books so he had more than the basic knowledge about magic and this world. What this summoner was doing was healing his creature with the help of his mana.

From what he could tell, summoners could be divided into a few categories. This man here was from one that specialized in high mana capacity. They mostly just used their summoned spirits for fighting while hanging back in the background. With more mana, the spirits could perform more spells or have a boost to their strength.

There was also a category that didn’t rely on summoned spirits to fight for them. They just used their elemental affinities to produce their own spells and fight closer to what a normal mage would. Those types had some subcategories depending on their way of fighting. Some did it form close range while others from far away.

The students went quiet as they felt the whole place rumble. In a matter of seconds, the creature that looked like a mix between a frog and an alligator started crawling out from beneath that rubble.

“Hah, I guess it's time for round two! This Lightning Emperor Leigong will put you in your place!”

Zhang Dong shouted out, his words were clearly heard by the people around this large room. This brought everyone’s attention to him instead of the Land Dragon that was crawling out from within the pile of rocks and dirt. He kind of knew why they were surprised as he wasn’t acting like a normal summon.

Normal summoned spirits like him wouldn’t be able to converse with other people than their summoners. He had a connection with Beatrice through her soul so learning the language was easy. The books that he absorbed through the days helped to fill in some holes and now he was more than able to speak in this world's language.

“Leigong? Was there someone like that?”

“Lightning Emperor? Did such a spirit exist? Is it some kind of new spirit?”

“That spirit hasn’t used any lightning magic, is he really a lightning type? Why can it speak our tongue? ”

The teachers that were gathered besides the Principal started talking with each other. Zhang Dong had thrown out his name on purpose. His intent was to make a big impression and he needed to have a grand name to go with it. Calling himself an Emperor was also on purpose.

He knew how the spirits were rated in this world and a spirit Emperor was a legendary type. His intention was to make himself look stronger than he actually was. With the label of a legendary spirit, Beatrice’s life would be better protected. At least till he got enough time to get her to a high enough level where she could let him access his nascent soul level powers.

The lanky instructor named Isilin looked at the strange half-naked man before him. After hearing him speak out he became even more interested. This spirit that was being used by a young girl with zero fighting experience managed to deliver a devastating blow to his own summon.

This instructor was an experienced summoner though. He knew that defeating a single summoned creature from someone like him wouldn’t bring victory. There was much more mana that he could spend to resurrect his creature along with summoning others to aid it in battle.

Before he did that he looked back to the Principal that ordered him to do this unique test. In his mind this test was already over, there was no reason to continue the newbie summoner had already proved herself. This test was just here to measure the spirits might and this one seemed to be enough to contend with the best spirit that he could offer. But, it looked like the Principal had other plans.

“Continue Instructor Isilin.”

This man wasn’t very outspoken so he just nodded while looking back into the ring. His opponent that was wearing the silky white loincloth didn’t seem all that afraid. He was just standing there with his hands crossed over one another, his chest puffed out as if he owned the place.

The second round was going to start, with the ground already destroyed Zhang Dong would have to take another approach. The dragon roared out like a maddened beast while opening his mouth wide.

He noticed that a lot of magical energy started flowing towards that opened mouth. It appeared that this monster wasn’t called a dragon just for show. Even though it looked like a mix between a lizard and a frog it apparently also possessed the fabled dragon breath attack.

Normally an opponent would run away and try to hide, other times they would produce some kind of defensive magic to block. On the other hand, the one that called himself the Lightning Emperor remained in place without moving. Even Beatrice that was standing behind him looked worried but her spirit didn’t seem that he was thinking about dodging.

The large mouth opened up wide and a torrent of energy escaped. It was a burst of orange flame that submerged Beatrice’s spirit in fire. Beatrice was a bit to the side but she had to jump back a bit to not get affected by the residual heat. Even while being at a distance she had to look away while covering her face as the hot air was pushed towards her location.

“It’s the fabled Dragon fire breath, is that person alright?”

“That wasn’t a person, it was a spirit! But it probably had to retreat back to the spirit realm, there is no way it survived something like that!”

The young students started chiming in from the side. All of the people that were interested in Beatrice’s progress were here. Both the prince and Isabella were together, the blond lady was looking between the arena and the prince. Her eyebrows were twitching around as she noticed that Ludwig was focusing his attention not on the battlefield but on Beatrice instead.

Soon the whole arena was filled with a cloud of smoke. The dragon continued to spit out fire which caused the ground underneath to melt with some polishing it could certainly look like a mirror. With the breath attack now halted the creature stood with head raised as if proud after defeating an enemy that shamed it.

Before it could relax though it noticed something odd. Someone was chuckling and that someone was the man that called himself Leigong. His form appeared out of the smoke as he took off in a sprint. When his foot made contact with that molten ground that turned into glass, it shattered in a fraction of a second.

The people here had trouble following Zhang Dong’s speed but some of the more experienced masters could see it all. He just zoomed toward the large Land Dragon summon and delivered a swift kick to its chin. Normally no human would even try that, even though this creature looked peculiar it was still a dragon.

It had rock hard scales that covered its entire body. It could repel swords, arrows, and even regular spells without flinching at all. But what they saw here defied logic, the kick went right through these scales and shattered them into small pieces. The huge dragon was propelled upwards by the force of this kick, its front legs clearly shot up as it started to perform a backward flip.

It performed a reverse somersault while causing its summoner to panic. This creature was huge and it was close to falling on him. Isilin was quick to jump back with the assistance of some lesser wind spirits that carried him into safety.

Everyone was baffled by how easy it was for this man to kick the huge dragon back. The teachers and the Principal started wondering what this heroic spirit’s body was made of to perform such a feat. The dark elven lady, in particular, noticed a strange golden sheen that appeared on the man’s foot right before the kick connected.

This wasn’t quite over yet, after the Land Dragon was on its back Zhang Dong jumped up into the air. It was time to deliver the final blow and he had to make it count. He knew that he would need to borrow most of Beatrice’s mana for this but it had to be done. Only if the people saw his true might would they begin to take him seriously.

A rumbling sound of thunder was heard as he rose into the air. Everyone watched with astonishment as the half-naked man turned into golden energy. Lightning and holy energies started gathering into one place before a massive flash of light blinded the audience members.

They opened their eyes to another strange scene, instead of the white-haired man there now was a dragon. It was a disembodied head of a massive beast with scales and horns. Even though it was only the head of Zhang Dong’s soul beast it was many times larger than the Land Dragon below.

This golden dragon opened up his mouth and the people that were keeping watch of this fight started sweating. The Principal quickly rose from her seat while letting her magic power fly towards the arena.

“Quick, reinforce the barrier!”

Every able-bodied wizard in the vicinity lent a hand in reinforcing the protective barrier that kept the audience members safe. Soon a golden beam of plasma descended from the dragon head’s mouth. It connected with the flipped over Land Dragon and caused another massive flash of light.

Everything turned white and the whole place began to shake. The loud noise of crackling thunder and lightning was the only thing that anyone could hear. This last attack signaled the end of this bout, the only thing left after was a massive deep hole in the ground, anything that was in it had vanished into the ether while leaving everyone here with a shocked expression. No one would be able to forget what they witnessed today and the name Leigong would be etched into their hearts for times to come.

126