Chapter 17: It’s a Long Way to Fairy
346 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And now......it's.....Kitsune time! 

It should be around 10 am when I leisurely walk to the Palace's front entrance and step onto the street, carefully looking for big shoes that might step on me. I'm wearing my Spiritwalker outfit so I won't ruin a dress in the process. And only this morning I learned that my skirt has some kind of extra dark colored layer in it too, protecting me from unwanted attention during flight.

When I finally find the courage to lift off, I immediately launch high up into the sky before slowly adjusting to Kitsune eye-level. Lot's of Kitsune are in the streets this morning, and many Fairies as well.

After observing these traffic patterns for a few minutes, I manage to merge into traffic and eventually find a nice secluded spot to practice my latest skill. Considering I'm still new around here, I decide that the marketplace is by far the safest place for me to practice. Here, in this corner, close to a few trees, I'm not at risk and shouldn't pose a risk to others. 

In this far West corner of the market I dare to land, make sure that no Kitsune is near me and then say "Kitsune time!" 

I know that isn't the actual name of the skill, but it works nevertheless! I'm instantly blinded by a flash and after blinking twice I notice that my perspective has changed considerably.

I'm huge! I suddenly feel like a Fairy impersonating a giant! The trees seem much smaller now, and the food trucks are just, well, ordinary food stalls instead of buildings. 

When I wanted to fly to the Fairy food stalls, I realized that I don't have wings in this form....I can't fly anymore. Perhaps that's for the best...flying Kitsune...that would be a sight to behold!

So instead I walked over to the Fairy stalls and, without thinking, swatted what I thought to be a fly away. It was hovering in front of my eyes....too close for comfort. However, this "fly" didn't appreciate the gesture and shouted "hey! What was that for?"

When I look more closely, I realize that the "fly" was actually a Fairy! Oops. "Oh, I'm sorry miss, I hadn't realized you were a Fairy. You see, I'm new here in this city. But to be honest, you really were flying too low." I made sure to look apologetic and hoped for her understanding.

She returns to me and flies close to my ears so I can better hear her soft voice. "Oh....I guess I was. I'm sorry for that, it's easy to forget that other races are bothered by such a thing."

"Don't worry, miss. Do you know if Fairies also buy from Kitsune shops or stalls?"

"Mmmm, let me think." She puts her little finger on her lips to show she's thinking. 

My god, she's so cute, just like a little doll hovering in front of me. Do I really look like that to Kitsune? I swear I won't complain anymore, this skill is awesome.

"Yes, there's one that I know of. The lady over there sells the best cooked fish I have ever tasted. Go ahead and try some!" She points over to Ayumi's stall. And when I look at it, I am surprised to see it's much smaller than I remember...weird.

"Oh that one? Yes, I already visited Ayumi's shop. I was actually....kind of hoping.... to see what you Fairies sell?"

"Ohhh.....then by all means, follow me! I have a shop myself!"

 

I follow her while she's flying really close to my face. Her wings are moving very fast, almost like a hummingbird's. I no longer have to worry that someone might step on me, but instead I'm worried that I might step on a Fairy.

Then I see the little food stalls, my god, they are so cute! Tiny little boxes with Fairies hovering all around them. It's more like a beehive than a food court, so that might be the reason these shops are not very interesting to Kitsune.

I stop at a safe distance and try not to bump into one of the many Fairies buzzing around, but they seem perfectly able to avoid colliding with me.

My little guide speaks again. "May I have your name?"

"Sure, it's Sasami and I'm, well, new here."

"Nice to meet a Kitsune! I'm Whirl."

"Ha ha, likewise."  I see her land and enter one of those tiny boxes. I bend over and ask her "so...you really are a shopkeeper, Whirl?"

"Sure am! A florist to be precise. Is there anything you fancy?"

"Honestly, yes, but at the moment I don't have my purse with me, so....how about next time?"

"Sure, next time then. But....my bouquets are a bit small for you...won't that be an issue?"

I used my latest skill again, this time returning to being a Fairy. It's not nice to deceive others, is it? A lot of very, very confused Fairies are now looking at me, but they will be fine....I hope so. "Ha ha ha, nope, not a problem, Whirl." I laughed when I landed near her stall.

"Huh? What...are you really? A Fairy, a Kitsune, something else?" She looks really puzzled.

"This is my true form. I'm a Kitsune-kin Fairy, is that helpful?"

"Eh...yes. So....Sasami....how...?"

"Oh, that's a new skill I received today. I was just testing if it worked, and it sure did. Tell me, is there anything I can do for you? I didn't want to startle you."

"Eh......sure? How about you visit me soon and buy some flowers? Assuming your money is real and not magically grown from beans." She gave me a friendly smile.

"Ha ha ha, nope, I only play a fair game. That's why I couldn't deceive you any longer, I'm not that kind of person. So alright, next time."

"Oh, wait. Can you help me with one thing?"

"Sure, name it."

"This shop, or food stall as you called it, is not really balanced very well. Everytime I walk into the back, it wobbles. I'm afraid it might fall over some time."

"Oh....sure. Do you want me to pick it up?"

"Yep....but....carefully please. It pays the rent, so I can't lose it."

"Alright, I understand."  

 

Flash, and again I'm a big Kitsune. This time I ignored the many Fairies buzzing around me, because some impacted me, not expecting a Kitsune to appear out of thin air. But a few still apologized. Fairies are actually politer than I had imagined, but they can be annoying when they're buzzing close to my eyes or ears. Oops, did I actually insult my own people? Ha ha ha.

Whirl gives me a thumbs up, she's ready for me to adjust her shop. I very carefully let my right hand approach her stall, making sure not to touch the neighboring stalls. And when I feel that I have a solid grip, I pick it up and look underneath the stall....looks sturdy.

"Ahhh!!!  Keep me level please!"  A screaming Fairy reminded me that I should keep her balanced.

"Oops, my bad. Ah! I see it, one of the support beams is not balanced properly." In the space where the stall was located only moments ago, I see four wooden blocks. Each one carries the weight of the stall, and beams are placed between them, making this a rather solid construction. And when I say "beams" I should perhaps just call them toothpicks, for that's how they currently appear to me.

I carefully realign the toothpicks with my left hand while still holding the shop in my right hand. Once done, I use all my fingers to carefully guide the shop and align it on the four wooden blocks, checking it from all angles. 

"There, that should do the trick."

I see Whirl disappearing inside and then running back to the front. "Yes! It's perfectly level now! Thank you so much! By the gods, how can I repay you?"

I bend over like the giant I currently am and look inside her tiny stall, filled with flowers. My eyes must seem enormous to her.

"You, you....let me give you a nice colorful bouquet! These are particularly beautiful." She showed me a rather expensive looking bouquet, all sorts of colorful flowers neatly arranged.

Flash...and I'm back to being a normal sized Fairy again. "Really? Isn't that too much for just balancing your shop?"

She looks disappointed, but then smiles again, her hands at her waist. "You are being too modest, Sasami. Tell me, where do you live? I'll have someone bring them over soon."

"Really? You even deliver them? That must cost you a fortune!"

"Oh no no no, that's called customer relationship. It's what I learned from my parents when I took over their business. It's a small price to pay and you might end up making friends, or even better.....repeat customers. Ha ha ha!" 

"Ha ha ha, yes, Whirl, that makes perfect sense to me."

"So...where?"

"Where what?"

"By the gods, Sasami. Are you always like that? Where do you live? I'm not psychic, you know?"

I scratched my ears, and again they helped me relax to suppress a blush from forming. "I eh...."

"Awww......don't be afraid, I won't tell anyone. You don't seem like a City Fairy to me, are you living with friends?"

"Well, you're right about that. But eh.....I live in the Palace. I mean the Fairy one, not the Kitsune's."

Her smile vanishes, replaced by an expression of total astonishment. "You...you live in the Palace? Are you kidding me?"

She looks at my Spiritwalker outfit, but seems stuck on my less than stellar shoes. Yep, I know, I should be wearing proper high heeled ones, but at the moment I couldn't care any less. "So....you're a tutor, or servant? No, mmmm....may I ask what you do there? I mean, not trying to be rude, I'm just very curious."

"Ha ha ha, sure I don't mind." I gesture to her to move closer and whisper "I'm Princess Sasami, shhhh.."

Her jaw almost reached the floor just now. With her mouth agape she just keeps blinking. She seemed ready to shout my name and title, so I repeated the "shhh" and showed my finger on my lips. 

Whirl just nods and seems finally able to speak again. She whispers "A Princess? Here? Alone? Interested in my shop? By the gods....did you run away?"

"Huh? No! Of course not. I'm just trying out this new skill, remember? Nobody knows who I am, so....please keep a lid on it."

"A lid? Oh, I get it. Sure, I won't tell anyone. But...can I really deliver the bouquet there? Me....to the Royal Palace?"

"My god, Whirl, it's just a building, nothing to worry about. Besides, everyone is really kind there."

"Then I'll bring them at once!"

"Whirl, are you alright? What about your stall? You can't leave it unattended? Besides, what's the point in bringing them if I can take them home myself?"

"Eh...good point. So...later today?"

"Sure, if you feel up to it. You don't really have to do this, you know? I can just come visit you from time to time?"

"Please do! Even in that Kitsune form! It might attract even more customers! Ha! Imagine me being friends with a.."

"Shhh!!!"

"Oh....with...with a Kitsune!" 

"Ha ha ha, that's okay for me. Alright then, see you later!"

"Bye!"

 

This time I flew back to the Palace like the Fairy I really am, making sure not to annoy any Kitsune in the process. I informed the guards that a florist would be visiting them today, and asked them to let her enter the Palace for a brief moment, but they adamantly refused. Very politely, but still very strictly a no-go. It's apparently against the King's orders, so I told them not to worry, and just take the flowers inside instead.

I spent the remainder of the morning sitting in the garden, thinking about my skills. I read most of their descriptions and prepared strategies for how and when to use them. And while casually watching the street, lost in thought, my eyes somehow spotted Whirl.

So I rushed towards the entrance, briefly ignoring that a thing called etiquette even exists. I see Whirl talking to the guards and then she sees me approaching her. 

"Hi Whirl!" 

"Oh hi, Sasami. Oops, I meant Princess."

"Don't worry about that. It seems I can't give you the grand tour of the Palace, but know that I really appreciate you personally bringing these flowers. They're amazing!" She hands over the bouquet, instantly making me  smile. 

"Ha ha ha, thank you very much, Sasami. You know where to find me. See you soon?"

"You betcha. As soon as I have some pocket money."

"Wait. What? You don't?" 

"Eh...It's a long story, don't think about it. I never need to buy anything, so why have money, right?"

"Huh? Ahh! I see, well, that makes sense I guess. Good, I need to head back now, see you!"

"Bye Whirl, and thanks again!"

 

I walk inside the building, carrying a beautiful bouquet in my hand. Great, but I forgot to think about the next part....who should I give them to? I'm not one to gather flowers in my bedroom, nope, not gonna happen.

So for who will it be? Celeste? Nah, she would refuse the "honor" or something silly like that. The Buggos? Nope, they would simply eat them. 

I stop walking and think about the goddess, but she already beat me to it. "No Sasami, while I love flowers, it would be a waste to just let them lie in the prayer room. But I truly appreciate the thought. Just look in your heart to see who would be most happy to receive them." She didn't say anything else....so I'm still not sure.

As fate would have it, my mother sees me daydreaming near the Tearoom. She smiles when she sees that I finally noticed her presence. Okay, these are for her then. 

"Hello mother."

"Hello my daughter. You have returned, bearing gifts no less. Tell me, what happened?"

"Eh....first of all....these are for you, mother." And I carefully handed them over to her. She doesn't have to know it took me a while to select the proper candidate for these.

"For me? Thank you, but are you sure? Why even, Sasami?"

"First of all, these were a gift to me for helping a florist named Whirl. I stabilized her shop while in Kitsune form. That skill worked perfectly by the way, but the point is that she felt the need to repay me. And I'm not one to have flowers in my bedroom, it would be a waste. So I thought....who would enjoy these the most? I can only hope you are the one most pleased to receive these."

She looks at the colorful flowers in her arms and smells them. "Sasami, these are wonderful, just like my daughter. Daughters, plural, I should say. But yes, thank you very much, dear. I'll have someone put them in the Tearoom so we can all enjoy them. Now that I think about it, we always used to have fresh flowers in the Palace. I wonder why we stopped buying them? Oh, that reminds me....Sasami?"

"Eh.....yes, mother?"

"It has come to my attention that you don't receive any pocket money."

"You, you have? How could you possibly know that? You really ARE psychic, aren't you?"

"Ha ha ha, no I'm not, dearie. But we have our people to keep an eye on you, just to keep you safe."

"You guys are really amazing, I didn't even notice. So...I shouldn't ask who?"

"You shouldn't. And, dear, you should really start practicing etiquette. Calling us you guys is hardly flattering."

Right...I'm already sorry for giving her the flowers. "Of course mother. Thank you for sharing that someone's following me." Next time I will study my map closely and have some fun shaking them in the crowds...

She moved closer and whispered. "Dear, you're grinning. C'mon, this talk ain't suited for us classy gals. And those flowers need to drink."

"Waaaaa?  You...you spoke so casually?"

"Ha ha ha, that face! It was worth it! Yes dear, I can, but choose not to. Like you I had to learn, so at least try, alright?"

"Yes, mother!"  She said the right words to motivate me. Wait, am I really happy to start learning etiquette now? Whatever, not today.

"Oh, and Sasami?"

"Yes, mother?"

"That Whirl from earlier....would you recommend buying flowers from her?"

"Huh? Are you kidd......I meant...Yes mother, she's quite nice. Very polite lady and her shop is tidy too, I would recommend buying from her at any time." I made sure to stand up straight and my hands were neatly placed on top of each other on my chest....just exaggerating a bit.

She looks impressed. "So, you really do have potential for etiquette. Mmmm....alright, I'll ask to buy flowers from her, but you will start learning etiquette and motivate your sister to do the same. How's that for a deal?"

"Splendid, mother. It is most kind of you to offer such a generous.....whatever. Thanks mom." I just hugged her.

"Ha ha ha, that's enough for today. Let's get inside. It should be noon by now, time for lunch. You better get dressed properly, dear."

 

And once more I had to dress up Princess style. With a corset. And high heels, because a certain someone hid my other shoes. Mom, I swear, if I fall down the stairs, I will come back to haunt you!

 

Right after lunch I admired the bouquet in the Tearoom, it's truly special. Quite the expensive one if you ask me, better visit Whirl soon so I can properly thank her.

This time I didn't actually join my family for tea. I'm desperately looking for something fun to do. Mother seemed reluctant to allow it, but it seems she still did...this time. So I won't be wasting any time!

First I went to my bedroom and noticed that the bed was ready for use....very inviting, but I can't sleep now. I'm too excited, ready to start practicing my skills. But where? Where could I practice them without harming anyone in the process? Should I head to the forest in the south?  

"Wait....where did that desk come from?" I had a vanity mirror, but a real desk?

I walk to my new desk and find two envelopes on it. I sit down and find the chair very comfortable. When I look outside I see that great view again; they must have placed it here to allow me to enjoy this whenever I sit here.

The first envelope reads "Sasami, read me first!" Okay, looks urgent. The second reads "For the attention of Miss Sasami, Ebisawa Palace, city of Yamagawa, Masea,"

Why would anyone in their right mind send me a letter? I don't even know anyone here, well, excluding Whirl the florist and Ayumi the fish lady eh I meant fishmonger? Whatever. More importantly, why even use these expensive looking envelopes?

I take the first envelope in my hands. The envelope is white but has pink lines along the edges, and on the backside I see the royal crest.....now also my royal crest. So it must be from someone inside the Palace? I reluctantly break the red wax seal, because it's a work of art itself. How do they even do that? It looked like a plastic miniature crest that perfectly sealed the envelope. The seal broke quite easily, but it seems to have served its purpose. No way I could re-seal the envelope now, everyone would be able to see that someone had opened it.

I take the letter out of the envelope and....can't read a single letter. What I do see are many wriggly squiggly lines, definitely the epitome of calligraphic art, but totally useless to me.

So I do what every good Spiritwalker would do and walk onto the balcony. "Goddess.....may I ask for your help? It seems I can't read the Fairy alphabet. Would you perhaps grant me....eh....instant knowledge?" I made sure to ask really, really nicely.

 

And suddenly I find myself in the Spirit Realm again. In Arhena's office it seems.

"Hi Sasami. Good that you're here. Oh, and yes, you have the reading and writing skills now. Considering your efforts in supporting our divine policies, I'll gladly grant you them. But...Sasami....some things you really need to learn the hard way. Like....etiquette....and dancing."

I grimaced.

"Ha ha ha....trust me....it will be fun. If I would grant you all knowledge of this world, you would no longer be the Sasami we all know. Besides.....haven't you wondered why you were able to read the words on the envelopes?"

"Eh....huh? That's.....a good one. How?" I scratched my ears. My tail just dropped down to the floor for some reason. Does it always do that when I'm lost for words? 

"Ha ha ha....just a little gift from me. I couldn't help but tease you a little bit. Besides, I needed to speak to you in person anyway."

"I see, well, thank you very much for everything you did for me so far. Including granting me access to the Buggo and Furling languages, and....I don't remember what else, but it was much more."

"My pleasure, Sasami. But that's not why you're here today."

"Yeah....I already had that kind of feeling. This is about that....revenge thing that happened to me isn't it?"

"Yes it is. It took us a while, but we finally managed to identify Teradur's accomplice. You're not going to believe who it is."

"Okay....so.....who?"

"It's Brelb, the Goblin guardian...."

"Ha! Really? No surprise there."

"I know, I could sense.....discomfort...between the two of you right from the start."

"That's the understatement of the century, but please continue."

"Anyway, we needed to find evidence first and foremost and have found plenty of that. We found evidence of him tampering with Goblin skills and he granted Teradur some skills too. That's how he was able to re-enter the Spirit Realm. 

Of course these actions are unauthorized, so we are looking everywhere to find him, but so far he has managed to elude us. But rest assured, we will find him and he will be brought before the Tribunal. Now, Sasami.....I want you to relax today, because soon you will have more divine duties to fulfill. I'll keep you apprised. Bye!" 

 

FLASH

 

And I'm back on the balcony again. I wonder what people think about me, when they see me staring into nothingness. Do they think I'm just daydreaming a lot?

I sit back at the desk and try to read the letter again. This time the words seem perfectly normal, all handwritten in plain English.

"Dear daughter of mine.

As you seem to be having difficulties talking about matters important to ladies, I feel it is my parental duty to give you a few pointers in this way.

You are a kind soul, Sasami, but you are also a Princess. I really appreciate all the efforts you have shown to start dressing and acting like a true Princess. But I'm afraid you will need a bit more help with that.

Soon you will meet your personal tutor who shall guide you in these important matters. When you are representing our family on a ball, or while visiting other Kingdoms, a certain way of behavior will be expected of you.

Of course I realize that you only have good intentions, so please don't feel that I'm not happy with my daughter. You are important to us, to your father, Melody and myself, never forget that. We only wish to guide you and that might sometimes upset you a bit.

So, I hope this letter will make you understand that we only mean well and are not trying to make you feel unworthy or unwelcome in any way. It is the exact opposite that I wish to underline.

To show you my gratitude for being my daughter, bringing me those wonderful flowers, but also helping our Kingdom in ways we never could have imagined.....please accept the following gifts with gratitude.

On your bed you will find your new night clothes. Please, wear them when you retire for the day. Also please reserve your Spiritwalker outfit for, well, that kind of duties. I would like to see my darling daughter at her best, so please don't feel displeased when I ask you to comply with my.....requests.

On your desk you will find a makeup case, including a mirror. Please practice applying some makeup now and then. I already saw how it made you look your best. Don't be afraid to ask me for pointers, but you might feel more at ease asking Celeste.

Also on your desk you will find a necklace with a golden heart. It is the key to unlock your case. Just place it against the lock and it will open up. Please store your letters in that case and save the key close to your heart.

Thank you Sasami, for being part of our family. Now go ahead and open the other letter, it seems important.

Your loving mother, Sienna."

 

Wow....that was...emotional. I take the necklace and walk over to the standing mirror in my room and carefully put it around my neck. Mmmm...am I supposed to wear it on top of my dress? Ah, now it's better, the necklace is now comfortably resting around my neck, and the golden heart now decorates the area above my chest, Princess style.

Yeah...the makeup is going to have to wait. One step at a time, I'm not ready for that yet.

I take a few moments and admire how beautiful the necklace looks on me. It really is beautiful, feminine, I guess. So strange...but it feels just right, I can't explain it. And considering the reflection in the mirror is smiling bigtime, it means I really like it!

I walk back to the desk, sit down again and carefully open the second envelope. It too was sealed, but I don't recognize the patterns in the wax.

 

"Dear Miss Sasami,

It has been a while since we met and I hope you are doing well.

Ever since we met in the ballroom of Ebisawa Palace, I have been longing to see you again. You already agreed to have dinner with me someday, but would you perhaps consider formalizing that agreement anytime soon?

Hoping you will reply soon,  

With warmest regards,
Kenta

President of Blue Mountain Fishing Company, Masea Division" 

 

Wow, Mr Fisherman's a President. Mmmm....I remember.....that dance was wonderful, it takes me back. The way he guided me when dancing, it felt as if we had practiced that dance for eternity.

"Sasami?" Mother enters my bedroom and sees me smile while holding the letter close to my heart.

I instantly put it on the desk, pretending I wasn't daydreaming about him.

"Eh....y...yes mother?"

"Aww...I know that smile all too well. I guess you've read the letters?"

"Indeed mother, I have."   How's my regal speech progressing?  "Thank you so much for the beauty case and the beautiful necklace."

"Beauty case? Well, that's a very appropriate term, I like it. Sounds better than a makeup case." Even her cat tail is drilled to sway in a very polite way. I'm trying not to pay any attention to it....but it's mesmerizing. I wonder why they don't hide their tails under their dresses?

"Ehh........yes....it sure does. But....now you're here....I could use some help."

"Let me guess....you received that letter and now you wish to reply?" She glanced at Kenta's letter.

The astonishment must have been clearly visible on my face. "Eh...yes?"

"Don't worry dear, I haven't read your letter, but your smile told me all I need to know. Would you be willing to share its contents?"

I'm blushing, but only a little bit...  "Eh...yes mother... Kenta...eh...that Mr. Fisherman gentleman with whom I danced that night?"

"Ohh.....yes, I remember. So you two are on a first name basis already?"

"Nooo....well, yes...I don't know. <sigh>" I look down at the letter on the desk, not really sure how to proceed.

"Honey, tell me what the letter was about."

"Oh, sure. He eh...misses me and wishes to invite me to dinner....soon."

"Aha, I knew it. Very well, so you wish to reply and need some help?"

I nod carefully.

"Alright, first of all....do you wish to have dinner with him?"

"Eh.....yes!"

"Ha ha, good. No doubts, I like that. Don't tell him that you're now a Princess....those things can wait."

Then someone else intervened....by speaking in my mind. The Fairy goddess, Arhena, of course.
"And tell him you will be out of town for a few days, and will then happily see him."

"Huh?" I look up at the ceiling and say out loud "I will?"

"What is it, Sasami?" Mother looks perplexed.

"The goddess just told me I'll be out of town for a few days."

Again Arhena spoke to me. "Yes, I'll explain later today. Finish that letter and then head for the Tearoom, my Spiritwalker. You are needed for divine intervention."

I looked at the ceiling again, then at my mother. "Eh..okay. Mother, the...eh..she just told me to write the letter and go to the Tearoom, she will address me there."

Mother's face just switched into serious-mode. "Alright, we can't let the goddess wait. How's your handwriting, Sasami?"

"Eh.....I'm about to find out?" I shrugged.

 

Let's just say that I ignored her eye rolling. Mother helped me find the words, but I wrote the reply myself and surprisingly she approved of my handwriting. It was befitting a Princess, no idea what she truly meant, but I'll take any compliment I can get. 

I wrote that I would love to have dinner with him in a restaurant near this Palace, but that I'll be out of town for a few days for business. I can't tell him it's for divine business, but I think it doesn't really matter, I can fill him in later, should things go well.

"Awww....Sasami, you are blushing again." Mother places her hands on her face to emphasize how happy she is for me. "Young love, such a beautiful thing. Now let's go downstairs, dear, we mustn't let the goddess wait. I'll take care of the letter."

"Y...yes mother." I replied while still heavily blushing. So I'm going on a date soon! Me, simple and plain Sasami! And he's really nice....focus!

 

When we arrived in the Tearoom, I guess around 2 pm, Celeste was already serving tea. She stealthily winked at me again....I guess she already knows what's going on....that's why she's so good at her job. I returned a shy smile and sat down on the sofa, my regular spot on the right.

When father, mother, Melody and I are enjoying tea and cookies, we see a now familiar FLASH. In our Tearoom goddess Arhena suddenly materialized.

"No, please sit down. No time for pleasantries." My family wanted to show her respect by bowing to her.

I stand up anyway and try to sound polite, not for the goddess per se, but to show my mother that I'm working on etiquette. "Please, goddess, would you join us for tea and cookies?" I think my mother really appreciated that, I saw her smile.

"Aww....I think I will actually." The goddess looked at Sienna's chair for a moment, but then happily squeezed herself on the sofa between Melody and myself. Within seconds, Celeste approaches us with the cart and places a cup and saucer in front of the goddess, without seeming nervous at all. Celeste sure is amazing, not many people would be able to remain that calm when serving tea to a goddess. After pouring the tea without any issues, Celeste withdrew from us and took her place in the corner again.

"Thank you, Celeste. Most kind of you." The goddess said with a kind smile. She probably knows all Fairies by heart.

"Everyone, thank you for allowing me to visit you. First of all I must apologize for interrupting your special family time. Teatime is family time." The goddess looked at me.

Okay, I get the hint. No more skipping teatime. When I nod, she seems to understand that I got the message, so she continues with a smile. 

"I told Sasami that we guardians have identified the ones responsible for the recent Goblin attacks. Let me keep it simple for you. The former Fairy guardian and the current Goblin guardian are the ones with this ill intent. The first one won't bother anyone ever again, and the latter has escaped the Tallara Realm of Influence. Oh, that means he's not on Tallara, nor in the Spirit Realm surrounding us."

Nobody says a single word, waiting for the goddess to continue after she sipped her tea. "Mmm...your tea is truly wonderful, Sienna."

"Thank you goddess. That means very much to me."

"I know." She smiled at mother, then continued. "Well.....only a few moments ago....speaking in your time frame of course....we were able to locate him. The Goblin guardian left us and has fled to Earth, trying to avoid punishment by our Tribunal. So this places us guardians in a difficult position.

You see, we are not allowed to simply move over to Earth and apprehend him, that would be trespassing into another deity's Realm of Influence."

She sipped her tea again, and I could see her motioning me to ask a question. She must have heard it already by tuning into my mind, so I just have to speak it out loud for the others to hear. I'm slowly beginning to get used to these weird things. "Goddess, but the one who fled to Earth, isn't he a deity too?"

"Well yes, Sasami, he is. Or more precise, he still is. Someone needs to confront him and tell him to appear before the Tribunal. Those are the agreed protocols between us deities and all of us need to respect those. He's very much aware of this fact and tries to make it impossible for us to confront him, hoping to avoid punishment.

But....things get more complicated. Earth's deity is also bound by the same rules, rules intended to protect fellow deities when events force them to seek refuge elsewhere. Earth's deity will not be allowed to intervene for 3 days, unless other protocols are violated.

Sasami, are you still with us?" The goddess looks at me when I'm petting my tail, trying to understand her words.

I quickly hide my tail behind my back and say "eh, yes goddess. Sorry, but I have to admit I'm having difficulty understanding any of this."

"And you should. These protocols only make sense to use deities. Nobody expects you to understand them. But...that's where you come in, Spiritwalker. 

The plan was to let you experience more family life here in this Palace. Your parents would help you mature your skills step by step. Surely you must have noticed some benefits by now?"

"Eh...yes, goddess. They already helped me with many things, but not just my parents....all of them."  I glanced at Melody and Celeste for a second, Celeste returned a wink.

Arhena suddenly looks very serious, focusing only on me. "Of course. But things have developed faster than even we deities had expected. There's no more time for you to go slowly.....you have to act now. Learn your skills on the go.

So...Sasami....I regret to inform you that tomorrow morning....you will be heading to Earth. Join one of the mana extraction teams and once you are on Earth, find Earth's deity. Together you will locate Brelb and tell him to face the Tribunal, nothing more, nothing less. We can't be there to join you, Sasami. You're on your own, only guided by Earth's deity.

I don't have to tell you what kind of intrusion is currently happening. A deity from our world is trespassing on Earth, perhaps only hiding, or preparing to bring harm to Earth's inhabitants, we simply don't know. If this doesn't work out, it will have serious repercussions for all of us.

Again, Sasami.......my trusted Spiritwalker...   Prepare to leave for Earth in the morning. Dress properly and lightly. And more importantly, present us deities well........so we may remedy the situation and bring the responsible one to justice. Do you understand what is expected from you, Sasami?"

Tears start falling from my eyes. "Yes, goddess. I will do everything I can, as you command."

"Very well my dear. May we meet soon under more favorable conditions."

FLASH.

 

Nobody said a single word until I stopped crying. Melody hugged me and I saw mother nervously walking about the room until father embraced her too. I guess she's as nervous about this as I am.

I drank from my now cold tea, then stood up, ready to go outside for air, but I didn't go very far. 
"Sasami, are you alright?" Father now blocks my path, his hand on my shoulder.

"Yes, father. I have divine duties to fulfill and it terrifies me. I'm up against a deity, not Goblins this time."

He now firmly embraces me. "Whatever will happen, whatever the outcome, you do not carry this burden alone. Even though it might have sounded like that, I'm sure that the goddess didn't mean that. Whatever happens...happens. We will always be here for you to return to, never forget that."

Another tear left my eye. "Yes father, thank you. But I need to get outside for a moment."

 

I left the tearoom and simply walked outside, tears still flowing from my probably red eyes. No maid, servant or guard commented on my tears, even though I noticed them glancing.

When I sit down on the bench in the garden, my favorite spot, I hear those calming Kitsune footsteps again. It's quite busy now, lots of people are walking about. They have no idea what kind of games are being played in the heavens. Ignorance sure is bliss.

"Sasami?" Mother is standing behind me now and when I move a bit over to my left, she understands and sits next to me.

"<Sniff>  Mother? I just need some time to prepare. I left Earth behind, thinking it would be for good. And now I'm going back."

"I know, honey. These are difficult times. We cannot carry your burden, but we are still here for you. Always."
She hugged me and let me cry on her shoulder for a moment.

"Thank you mom, I feel better now. I don't know why I'm so emotional, I just can't help it."

"Well, a 16 year old who carries the burden of the gods is one reason why you're so emotional. Going on a date might be another?"

That put a smile on my face. "There, that's the Sasami we like!"

"Thanks, mom. I really needed that."

"Is there anything else I can do for you? Perhaps you like something special to eat? Cooked fish in your honor?"

"Oh, please don't bother with such things. But I appreciate the gesture. Well.....a swing would be nice."

"A....a..swing?  What's that?"

"You don't know? My god, how can you live without such a thing? It's just a small board to sit on, like this." I showed her the approximate size of a swing's seat. "Then ropes are made at this point and that point. The ropes are fixed above, around....there." I flew up a bit to show the needed height. "And then you can sit on the board that can gently move forward and backwards...it's a great comfort when one's feeling down."

"I will look into it, Sasami. Does it have to be in the front gardens?"

"What? No, of course not! Perhaps close to the Buggos?" 

"Sure, we can do that. Look forward to that when you are on Earth, Sasami. We will be waiting for you."

Now it was my turn to hug her. "Mother, it may be difficult between us sometimes....but at the end of the day...you're a great mom."

She patted my back. "You have no idea what that means to me, coming from a Wild One. Never thought you would be able to cope with city life, or even Royal life. But now that you're speaking candidly, you mean very much to all of us. Please, keep surprising me and show me who Sasami really is...what she can accomplish. Even the gods think highly of you, so how can I not?"

 

Time went by quickly and evening fell sooner than usual, or so it seemed.

When it was time to prepare for bed, I stopped in front of my bedroom mirror and observed the woman standing there. She's now wearing a nightie for the very first time, as I didn't dare to try one on last time. Her appearance almost shouts femininity. She's a woman alright. But I still need to get used to this kind of life. I thought things would be easier, but I really need time to adjust. But yeah, it looks and feels great, I have to admit.

 

Tomorrow's clothes have already been prepared for me. My Spiritwalker outfit, complete with knife belt and protective covers. This time I'm going to need even more help. Finding a stray deity, delivering a message to him from other deities, telling him he must face the Tribunal. Can't say I ever thought of this situation ever happening. I hope he understands the concept "don't shoot the messenger," or I will be history.

I won't bathe in the morning, but will instead leave with the mana teams before dawn. I already said goodbye to my parents, but not yet to Melody. She told me she would visit me before I went to bed, so she should be here any moment now. I doubt I'll be getting any sleep tonight, but we'll see.

My new necklace is now lying on the desk and my letters are safely stored inside the beautycase.

Celeste has prepared long lasting food for me, so I won't be starving any time soon. It's in a backpack, something soldiers wear to the battlefield and she managed to get hold of one. You really shouldn't underestimate her, she's amazing actually. I can see why they want to keep her, she's worth her weight in gold.

 

The sun is setting when I look outside on my balcony. I guess I'll be sleeping before the first stars appear. Man, I really don't like having to go back to Earth. But I don't have a choice, the Kitsune goddess has given me a second chance, the least I can do is follow her commands as relayed by goddess Arhena. I know she means well, but even Arhena didn't exactly tell whether I would survive this trip or not.....so this might very well be my last day as Sasami, in any world.

 

"Sasami?" I hear Melody's voice from behind me in the bedroom.

"Oh, hi sis, join me."

"What are you doing?" She asks carefully, genuinely curious.

"I'm saying goodbye to this world. To its inhabitants, the Buggos, and now to you."

I could see a tear falling from her left eye. "No....don't say that! You are my big sis, the mighty Spiritwalker!
The goddess wouldn't have chosen you just for you to die in another world!"

I hugged her for a moment. "I know...it's okay. But still, we need to say a proper goodbye. I plan to return here. To mom, dad, and you Melody. Fairy life is amazing and there's still much to see and learn. But I have to bring a message to another deity.....and I'm really terrified about that."

She doesn't say a word, but simply hugs me.

"Melody?"

"Yes, sis?"

"Why were you on Earth that day? The day I held you in my hands?"

"Oh, I'm a bit ashamed to admit."

"This I have to hear."

"Eh...you know my tutor, Mrs Clover, right?" I nodded, then she continued. "Well, she told my parents that I wasn't really motivated to study."

"No surprise there." I said with a teasing voice.

"Hey!" She playfully slapped my arm. "She told me studying the mana extraction process on Earth might help me understand the importance of these lessons. It would help me understand things better. And after many discussions father and mother finally agreed to let me visit Earth with my personal guards Berry and Levia. And the rest you already know."

"So things didn't really work out?"

"Oh, right, you weren't there yet at that moment. A Goblin attacked me, he shot me with a dart. One dart a Fairy can survive, only making us sleep. But more....and were done for. Let's say I was very lucky that day when you found me."

"Yeah....but I could never have expected to end up as your big sister. Not that I mind of course."

"I'm happy you are my big sister. I've never had so much fun in my whole life. Even mom and dad are more relaxed now. I don't know how you did that, but they really feel like...family now. I can't explain it."

"You don't need to, I understand. I feel it too. We're really a family and I hope we can stick together, but I have to leave in the morning, whether we like it or not."

"So, you will be wearing that outfit again?"

"Huh? Of course, I can't be running around Earth wearing a fancy dress, now can I? If I should encounter any Goblins, I might need to hide. Those clothes are the perfect camouflage for in parks or forests."

"Seems like you have given this a lot of thought already. I wish I could join you,"

"I know....but you can't. Promise me to get along with Miss Clover, and make mom proud, okay?"

"<sniff>, don't you start making me emotional again! And it's Mrs Clover, not Miss."

"Ha ha ha, I know. Just teasing, Melody. I'm counting on you. Keep everyone safe here. I'll do everything I can to return...I just don't know when. Fair day, Melody."

She hugged me and started to cry really loudly. After a few moments she calmed down a bit and said in a broken voice "fair day, big sis." She ran outside my bedroom and I could hear her cry in the corridor. No, I won't follow her, she'll be alright....eventually.

 

I closed the bedroom door and stepped into bed, throwing the blankets away, considering the temperature outside. I don't think anyone would mind if I slept on the floor again, given the circumstances. But I'll try sleeping in bed first.

7