Ch-8: The cloak of weightlessness
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

John stumbled through the entrance of the cave, his body battered and bruised from the fierce battle with the monster.

He could feel his wounds throbbing and his muscles aching from the fight with the monster. He knew he needed to heal himself quickly, but he also couldn't shake the feeling that he needed to be stronger to face whatever other trials lay ahead.

He limped towards the wall where he saw the luminous moss growing. He grabbed a handful of the moss and drank the water that seeped out from it. The cool water flowed through his body, rejuvenating him and easing his pain.
Meanwhile, his mind raced with thoughts of the monster he had just defeated and the possibility of even stronger opponents. He remembered how easily the monster had knocked him back with a single blow, and how he had struggled to land any significant hits.

In that moment, John realized that his own physical strength was a limiting factor in his abilities as a wizard. He needed to be able to defend himself and attack with more force if he wanted to survive the challenges ahead.

He took a moment to catch his breath and survey his surroundings. The cave was dimly lit, with the only source of light coming from the moss growing on the walls.
With a clear mind and a determined spirit, he reached for the empty potion bottle and focused all his energy on wishing for a strengthening potion. He knew it wasn't a guaranteed solution, but it was worth a try if it could give him even the slightest edge in his battles.

The bottle began to glow and a small stream of light shot out from it, swirling around John's body. The light then entered his body, and he felt a surge of energy coursing through his veins. He flexed his muscles and felt a newfound strength. He knew it wasn't a superhuman strength, but it was enough to give him an edge in the battles to come.

John picked himself up and continued his journey deeper into the cave. He watches the murals on the wall on his journey.

He can still see the intricate details of the drawings despite the moss that covers much of the chamber. The murals depict the end of a war that had devastated both humans and monsters alike. Dead bodies littered the landscape, and the once great tower that stood as a symbol of peace and hope was now destroyed, leaving behind a gaping hole where the remaining forces threw down every dead body.

The atmosphere is suffocating, and the air is heavy with the stench of death. The night refuses to end, and the sun doesn't grow. It's as if time itself has stopped in this desolate place.

John's emotions are rattling as he realizes that he is probably inside the hole where the tower once stood. He feels a sense of despair and hopelessness. All of his struggles so far seem meaningless in the face of such overwhelming destruction.

John approaches the altar with trepidation, his heart pounding in his chest as he takes in the sight before him. The altar is unlike anything he has ever seen before, a massive structure that seems to be made entirely of glowing red veins that pulsate with an otherworldly energy. The shape is unmistakably human, with arms outstretched as if in supplication.

As he draws closer, John notices that the altar is much larger than he initially thought. It stands at least six feet tall and is almost as wide as it is tall. The veins that make up the altar are twisted and gnarled, giving it a sinister and ominous appearance.

The three artifacts on the altar catch John's attention, and he approaches them cautiously.  The voice returns from the silence and tells john the secrets of the artifacts.

The cloak is a deep shade of red, and as he picks it up, he can feel the weight reduction spell within it. It feels light as a feather in his hand, and he can't help but smile at the thought of how useful it could be in a tight situation.

The helmet is a dull gray, and John can see the fire resistance enchantment etched into its surface. He can't help but wonder what kind of fire-breathing monster would require such a powerful artifact.

Finally, he picks up the eyeball, turning it over in his hand. It's a strange material, and he can feel the raw energy pulsing within it. The ethereal voice returns, telling him that it's a crafting material that can be used to create powerful artifacts. John considers this for a moment, thinking back to the fang he had picked up from the last monster. He wonders if it's possible to craft an artifact using these materials.

But then, he shakes his head. He barely has any artifacts to begin with, and he doesn't want to waste his only chance on something that might not work. With a sigh, he puts the eyeball back on the altar and turns to leave, the weightless cloak fluttering behind him as he walks away.

He knew that the helmet might be useful in case he encounters another monster that breathes fire, but he doesn't know when or if that will happen. On the other hand, the cloak's weight reduction spell could come in handy in a variety of situations, from traversing treacherous terrain to fleeing from danger.

In the end, John decides to choose the cloak over the helmet. He figures that the weight reduction spell will be more useful in the long run, and he can always try to find or craft a helmet with fire resistance later on. Plus, the cloak's ability to reduce weight might also make it easier for him to carry other items and artifacts in the future.

"Nice choice," the ethereal voice says approvingly while John sprints towards the exit.

Knowing the altar's tendency to not give up the artifacts easily he made haste. He can hear the rumble behind him as the altar descends, and the water begins to gush out of the hole. As he runs, he feels the weight reduction spell imbued within his cloak helping him to move more swiftly.

With adrenaline coursing through his veins, John doesn't look back. He can hear the water gaining on him, and he knows he needs to escape the chamber quickly. He reaches the entrance just as the water slams into the walls, causing the cave to tremble under the weight of the deluge.

John runs as fast as he can, his new cloak flapping behind him, feeling almost weightless. He sprints through the winding caverns, his breaths coming in ragged gasps as he dodges stalagmites and jumps over chasms. The weight reduction spell on the cloak proves to be a godsend, allowing him to move much faster than before.

Behind him, he hears the sound of rushing water, growing louder and more menacing with each passing moment. He knows he has to make it out before the chamber floods completely. The walls of the caverns tremble with the weight of the water, and small rocks dislodge from the ceiling, falling to the ground with a deafening crash.

Then the water floods the chamber.

It was cold and murky, and John could barely see more than a few feet in front of him. Taking a deep breath, he dove inside, determined to find a way out of the chamber. As he swam, he could feel the weight of the water pressing down on him, making it difficult to move.

He spots a small opening in the rock face and swims towards it, using all his strength to push against the current. The water was now up to his neck, and he can feel the pressure building in his ears. He finally makes it to the opening and pulls himself through, gasping for air as he emerges on the other side of the light barrier.

He burst out of the water and onto a sandy shore. Still inside the cavern, still in darkness. He looks around, taking in his surroundings. Water sloshed and slapped on the barrier behind him, but he was through.

Panting and drenched, but relieved to have escaped the chamber. He looks out at the vast expanse of water before him. What a coincidence; looked like his next trial… was the trial of water.

 

0