Ch-9: The trial of water
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

John takes a deep breath and looks at the luminous water body before him. It is like nothing he has ever seen before. The water seems to have a life of its own with the moss giving it a supernatural glow. He hesitates for a moment, knowing that he has to dive in and swim through the tunnel to continue his journey. The thought of a monster lurking in the darkness makes his heart race, but he knows he has no choice.

As he stares into the water, John's mind races with memories of the challenges he has faced so far. He thinks about the fight with the fire-spitting monster and how he barely escaped with his life. He recalls the treacherous climb down the cliff and the rush of adrenaline he felt as he fought for survival. He remembers the altar and the cloak he obtained, the gushing water that almost drowned him, and the fear that had gripped him.

Despite his fears, John realizes that he has come too far to turn back now. He has faced too many challenges and obstacles to give up.

John doesn’t make haste. He uncorks the empty water bottle and focuses on his wish. He desires a potion that can help him breathe underwater. The bottle fills up with a bright blue potion that smells of saltwater and ocean breeze. John takes a sip, and a sudden rush of warmth spreads through his body. He feels a tingling sensation in his lungs, and his breaths become easier and deeper. The potion has given him the ability to breathe underwater.

John takes a deep breath and dives into the water. The sensation of water closing around him is overwhelming, but he is determined to complete the trial. The luminous moss on the tunnel walls provide a mystical aura, casting a dim light that illuminates the way forward.

The underwater tunnel is serene, but there is a certain lifelessness to it. The only sound is the muffled rush of water as John swims deeper into the tunnel. The moss-covered walls give way to a sandy bottom, and John can see the tunnel continuing ahead. But there is something else that catches John's eye - the many skeletons that litter the tunnel floor. They are of various sizes, some of them clearly human and others that appear to be monstrous in nature. John can't help but wonder what kind of horrific battles might have taken place in this tunnel, and who or what might have been responsible for so many deaths.

Despite the unsettling presence of the skeletons, John presses on, swimming deeper into the tunnel with a sense of determination. He takes deep breaths from his potion and feels his lungs fill with the cool, oxygen-rich water, allowing him to continue on without the need for air. The tunnel seems to go on forever, with no end in sight, but John refuses to give up.

The further he swims, the more the tunnel seems to narrow, until he has to swim in a single file. The pressure in his ears grows, but the potion helps alleviate it.

As John was passing through the upward leading bend, he caught a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel. He couldn't believe his luck as he had anticipated a monster to ambush him. With renewed vigor, he kicked his way towards the light and soon broke the surface of the water.

John found himself in a small chamber covered in luminous moss, with the exit not far away. He felt relieved that he had finally completed the trial of water, but his joy was short-lived. Just as he was about to climb onto the land, something grabbed his leg, and he was dragged back underwater.

John gasped for air as he struggled to free himself from whatever had caught him. He thrashed around wildly, but the grip on his leg only tightened. As he turned his head to see what was pulling him, he saw a giant squid-like monster looming over him.

The monster's eyes glowed with a menacing red light, and its tentacles writhed in the water.

It was massive, easily the size of a small boat. Its body was sleek and dark, with patterns of iridescent blue and green shimmering along its skin. It had long, thick tentacles with powerful suckers that could easily crush a man's bones. As John struggled against the creature's grip, he could feel the strength of its grip as it pulled him deeper underwater. Its eyes were cold and unfeeling, fixed on its prey as it tightened its grip on John's leg. The squid's strength was astounding, and John felt himself being dragged closer and closer to the creature's gaping maw. He knew he had to act quickly if he wanted to survive.

As John struggled against the giant squid's tentacles, he quickly realized that his homing missiles were no match for the creature's size and strength. With every attack, the water would consume most of the missile's power, leaving the squid relatively unscathed.

The creature was not gentle in its movements. It dragged John along the tunnel walls, causing him to bleed from his nose and other parts of his body. In a desperate attempt to stop himself from being dragged any further, John grabbed onto a jutting rock and held on tight.

The squid stopped momentarily and wrapped its tentacles around John, attempting to render him motionless. But John saw an opportunity and seized it. As the creature drew closer, he unleashed a volley of earth spikes at the monster, causing it to reel back in pain.

John knew he had to keep attacking if he wanted to survive. He summoned all his strength and unleashed a barrage of attacks at the squid. Each strike hit its mark, and the squid's grip began to weaken. Finally, with one final strike, the creature released its hold on John and retreated.

John was left battered and bruised but alive, but also angry. He couldn’t let it leave so easily.

John unleashed earth spikes at the squid. They arose from the tunnel walls and attacked the squid. The monster thrashes about, trying to evade the spikes, but they keep coming relentlessly, tearing through its flesh and leaving bloody gashes in its wake. John watches in horror as the water turns red with the creature's blood, but he knows he has no other choice.

Unfortunately, his aqualung potion was running out. His breathing was becoming cumbersome. Panic rose within him. His lungs ached for air. John couldn’t keep the squid company any longer.

He fired one last homing missile at the squid then started frantically swimming toward the end of the tunnel.

As he approaches the exit, John looks back and sees the squid following him, its massive body slowly gliding through the water.

The chase is on, as John sprints across the narrow rocky platform, his heart pounding in his chest. The squid is hot on his heels, its massive tentacles slamming down on the rocks behind him.

John's heart was racing as he swam as fast as he could, trying to reach the end of the underwater tunnel. He could hear the squid chasing him, its wounded body writhing on the tunnel walls as it tried to close the distance between them.

As he swam, John could feel his body getting weaker, his breaths becoming shorter as the potion ran out. Panic started to set in as he realized he might not make it to the end of the tunnel before the squid caught him.

Just as the squid was about to grab him, John used all four of his limbs to push himself forward. He leaps over gaps and dodges obstacles, narrowly avoiding the creature's deadly grasp. As he reaches the end of the tunnel, he sees a narrow crevice in the rocks and dives through it, barely escaping the squid's clutches.

He stumbled onto the moss-covered ground, panting heavily as he turned to face the squid, which was now crawling along the tunnel walls, its tentacles reaching out for him.

John quickly activated his homing missiles and fired them at the squid, hitting it with all his might. The missiles exploded on contact, causing the squid to roar in pain as it fell back into the water.

Gasping for air, John collapses onto the platform, his heart racing with adrenaline. His limbs shook with weakness. He fell to his knees and coughs up water, his chest heaving with each breath. He glances back at the water and watched the squid disappears back into the underwater tunnel, defeated but not dead. He knew that it won't be long before the creature reappears, ready to continue its attack.

John stands up slowly, his legs still wobbly, and makes his way toward the exit of the cavern. He coughs wetly again and tries to ignore the sharp pain in his chest. As he gets closer to the exit, he hears a scraping noise behind him.
With the sound of something tearing through the water, the squid exploded out of the tunnel bringing a rain of water. It slams onto the rocky ground a few feet from John, who was too shocked to respond.

That was until the squid made eye contact with him and tried to grab his legs. John remembered everything that had occurred in the underwater tunnel, renewing his anger.

“You want to die!” John screamed at the squid, his water-logged chest aching with each word uttered. But John was too angry to care in the moment.

“Then die!”

John gritted his teeth and commanded his magic Grimoire to create a barrier of earth spikes between him and the creature. The spikes erupt from the ground and pierce the squid's body, causing it to writhe in pain.

John continued to barrage the creature with spikes until it finally stopped moving. He stared at the squid's lifeless body, feeling a mixture of relief and loneliness. He wanted to cry, but tears denied him.

He missed the mundane that he had loathed before. Missed the walks that Juicy forced him into. Missed being hassled by his coworkers, even the harassment of his boss. He missed standing in lines and waiting for his turn. He used to think there was nothing worse than that, but now he knew how worse life could get.

 He was done. He decided he wouldn’t stay inside the safe zone eating moss if he had to but he would not participate in this charade anymore. He had enough it fighting monsters. He had enough of trying to kill himself.

 

0