Arc 1. Interlude I
3.9k 12 108
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the way back to their own wing of the mansion, Lucas couldn’t help but ragged his brain with all the events of the last few hours.

If he were to put a tag on his feelings at the moment, he would have a hard time doing it. He could recognize the sadness, and even the impotence at the situation, but everything else was tangled and making him feel like a boulder had taken the place of his heart. It was difficult to breathe without feeling like he would collapse at any moment.

A lot of things were changing way too fast for him to assimilate them. Not even a year ago, their mother left their side after a terrible accident. The already stifling atmosphere around the castle became even tenser without her to balance their father or bring comfort to their children. Oftentimes, Lucas wondered the reason such a marriage took place. After all, their parents couldn’t be more different from each other.

But the greatest change occurred with his older brother, Mathias. Lucas couldn’t pinpoint how, or when, but from a time to now he felt like he was hiding something from him. He was more distant, more focused in other things. It might be selfish of him to think it, but he wanted his brother back. More than his mother, more than a sense of peace at not having the ever looming sense of danger his father brought whenever he was near, he wanted the brother that would listen to him practice the piano, who would talk to him and listen to his day and would console him when he was down back with him.

That man walking in front of him and who would so easily threaten a small girl wasn’t the older brother he knew.

And then he thought of Elaine. He didn’t know her, and yet, the thought of her gone brought a sense of dread to his heart. Mathias was right, he knew. It wasn’t a good idea getting close to her, but the mere thought of her rotting away at that cell kept eating at him throughout the night, and before he knew what he was doing, he was on his way to the eastern tower with a barely traced plan on his head and a rope at hand.

In that moment in the courtyard, he was about to heed his brother’s advice and just let her be, but hearing her defending herself, standing up for her life when Mathias was threatening her brought him back to reality. This was a person, a human being just like him and there was no way he could allow her to be kept in such conditions, even if she was to be sacrificed a few days from now.

And thus he was back to where he started. Confused, not knowing what to do or what was correct anymore. If only there was a way to bring his mother back without sacrificing Elaine.

“You’re thinking too much.”

Lucas stopped, raising his eyes to see the figure of his older brother illuminated by the moonlight. They were in the middle of the hallway, deserted as far as he could see, with Mathias facing him with a strange expression.

The younger boy bit his lips, before letting out a sigh. “I’m just wondering…”

“Do not get close to her anymore” he interrupted him before he could finish his sentence. Lucas stiffened.

“Why?” he asked, even though he knew the answer. Mathias raised an eyebrow, causing him to blush. “I don’t think… I don’t think is right you know. I never agreed with this method, and talking to her just…”

“Exactly, talking to her makes you sympathize with her. That’s dangerous Lucas. And what we think it’s correct or not has little to do in this situation. That girl is a sacrifice, nothing more, nothing less.”

“Does it have to be?” he said a little desperately. “Is there no other way? Maybe father didn’t investigate enough… maybe there is another method.”

“It has to be an equal exchange. One soul for another. You know that as well as me” Mathias responded with the same calm tone of voice. It annoyed Lucas how easily he seemed to accept all of this.

“Says who?”

“Says the necromancer father contacted.”

“We don’t even know if it’ll work. Besides, necromancers are taboo in this kingdom. They have been for over four-hundred years. How can we be so sure the necromancer that comes is the real deal? And what if we are discovered? Everyone knows mother had been dead for almost a year. Don’t you think it would be weird if she’s suddenly alive again?”

Mathias remained silent for another moment, before turning his back to him. However, he did not move to get away, instead simply staring outside the window to the moon above. Lucas waited patiently, but when he talked, it wasn’t what he was expecting to hear.

“The ritual can only be done in the first twelve months after the death of the person. This is our last chance.”

“Mathias!”

“Heed my advice Lucas, don’t go closer to that girl again. The only one who will suffer afterwards it’s you, so save your heartache before it’s too late. Be content with having her as a guest.”

“But…!”

“Lucas” and there it was again, that tone of voice that he could not stand up against. Mathias turned his head slightly over his shoulder, his only visible eye serious. “If she escapes, father will make sure to punish you. Believe me, you don’t want to be on the receiving end of one of his punishments. So just be a good boy and get away from her. It will save you and me so much trouble. As for the others details… don’t worry. Father and I have already thought of them, so just relax and don’t do anything rash, alright? That’s the only thing I ask of you. After this, I promise you everything will go back to normal.”

And then he walked off, leaving Lucas alone with his thoughts and the boulder still heaving him down in his heart.

108