Chapter 4
16 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alvina's POV

I sat in the cafe playing with a coin in my fingers as I waited for my order. My eyes were fixated on my nemesis, Phoebe. I couldn't believe that she was still standing even after what I did to her. "What does it take to bring you down," I wondered. I had known Phoebe since we were kids and I knew she wasn't the type to be taken down so easily. That's what always made her quite interesting but at the same time annoying. The way she got up and brushed the dust off of her screamed nothing but pity to me.

"Here's your order, Alvie," she unknowingly interrupted my thoughts.

 

"Thank you," I said with a tight-lipped smile. "Phoebe do you have some time to talk?"

"I'm sorry, maybe later. Why? Is it something important?"

"No it's... nothing really, I can tell you later," I reached for my coffee and gingerly took a sip. 

"Okay then,let me get back to work," Phoebe smiled and headed back to the counter. I was irritated by her act. How could she be all smiles after not attaining her goal? "Ahh pathetic," I said, my eyes glued to her like a magnet. I hadn't even noticed Celine and Marie joining me. Celine was tall and had short brown hair unlike Marie, who was a tiny lass with blonde hair that she always tied up with a red ribbon.

"Hey Vee, what's up?" Celine asked as she tried to follow my gaze. 

"Nothing," I answered stoically, shifting my eyes back to my coffee.

"Hmm," Marie's eyes wandered in the cafe. "Isn't that...Phoebe!?" Marie said, raising her brows.

"I heard that she flopped the exams," Celine whispered.

"Yeah, her whole life just seems tragic, especially after all that hardwork," Marie said, pouting her mouth.

"I kind of admire her, you know. She is always striving to be the best no matter what," Celine said, wearing a broad smile that disgusted me.

My eyes shut heavily as I raised my chin. I took a deep breath and said, peering into space, "What a pity. She's probably doing it because she has no other choice."

Marie and Celine met each other's gaze then answered almost simultaneously, as if reading each other's thoughts, "Yeah you are probably right."

"We should leave, " I quickly stood and my friends followed behind like a bunch of pet dogs.


         *****************


         Phoebe's POV


The day was finally over. I strolled across the street with a broad smile. I was glad that I had made it through my first day of work. It hadn't been easy for me, especially having to deal with rude customers. Some of them just enjoyed screaming at employees. Sadly, we had to tolerate their attitudes so as to get paid at the end of the day. "Anyways let me just hurry and get home," I mumbled, pushing those thoughts aside.

It was getting darker and I was still a long way from home. Unless I used a shortcut, there was no way I would arrive home early. My only chance was the dreadful shortcut that people termed as haunted. Nevertheless, this wasn't the first time I had used that path. I had used it a couple of times before and deemed it safe. I quickly resorted to using that path forgetting, that I had never walked there at night.

The only sounds I could hear were of the wind whistling in my ears and my footsteps. The path was truly creepy at night and with every step I could feel cold spider-like fingers run through my spine. I quickened my pace as I muttered a prayer underneath my breath. As I neared the path's end, I saw something glowing under the moonlight. It shone brightly like a little fallen star. I slowly approached it as it had caught my interest.

I knelt down, trying to be as careful as possible. My mother had always warned me about witchcraft and how easy it was to be bewitched by such things. I picked it up and assessed it while still putting my mom's words into consideration. It was an archaic pocket watch coated with gold on the outside. The inside was dusty and the numbers were written in roman numerals. Inside the crystal and in the middle of the dial, I could see the letter ‘N’ calligraphed so beautifully. It was just so appealing to the eye, that I instantly forgot that not all that glitters is gold. Moreover, it was working perfectly fine! 

"It will probably come in handy since I don't have a watch," I smiled and tossed it in my pocket ignoring the mystery behind it.

          ******************

It had been a while now and I was getting used to working at Pola Cafe. I made friends and enjoyed my time there. I was making a lot of savings and was sure that by the end of the year, I would have enough to settle our debts and invest in a worthwhile business. Everything had been working out fine and I prayed for it to get even better. I hadn't talked to Alvie for some time now but she had invited me over for some drinks. It was exactly what I needed at the time. If only I knew that day would turn out to be a nightmare.

It was after work that I finally headed to the Crescent pub. I had dressed casually since I didn't have time to change and I didn't want to keep my friend waiting. I entered the pub only to be met with utter shock. It was a highschool reunion and their stares weren't welcoming at all.

"Phoebe! You made it! Come sit next to me," Alvie said sarcastically as she stood up. I could already hear people murmuring about me. I tried to completely ignore their talks but before I knew it, I had already ran to the washroom. I couldn't stand it at all. One minute there felt like an eternity. I wondered why Alvie hadn't informed me about the reunion. “She probably didn't know," I concluded.

I was just about to leave the toilet when I had people approaching. I hesitatingly closed the door. 

"Did you see her face? It was as if she had seen a ghost," a familiar voice spoke followed by a devilish laughter.

I could easily tell they were gossiping about me. What I couldn't understand was why whoever was talking sounded exactly like Alvie. 

"She must have forgotten where she came from showing up at a place like this," another voice spoke. "You know it was wise of you to interchange her results because if you didn't, she would probably be acting all high and mighty."

"What!" I felt my whole body start to go numb. I shrugged my shoulders and tried to hold my breath so as to remain unnoticed.

"Yeah, it was actually easier than I thought. I just had to bribe that stupid principal," they giggled

I leaned backwards as I tried to get a hold of the door handle with my shaky hands. “Could it really be…” I could feel blood boiling in my veins as I opened the door only to see Alvie with some other girls.

"Alvie....why?" I stuttered. The other girls quickly left the room realizing that things had gotten bitter.

Alvie saw the rage in my eyes and smiled devilishly. She leaned closer to me and whispered in my ear,"Because, I hate you." I clutched my blouse tightly as if I had been struck by an arrow. My eyes shut heavily as tears gushed down my cheeks. I could clearly see through Alvie's smile that she was enjoying every ounce of it.

"But why? What did I ev..ever do to you?" I asked as I wiped my tears off my face.

"You really don't know?" Alvie said as she looked into the mirror with an arrogant expression. "You were so perfect growing up that it made me miserable. My dad and everyone else compared me to you . Dad always wished he had a daughter who was more like you and I resented you for that. I couldn't bare watching you surpass me despite having nothing."

“Perfect!? You of all people know what I went through.” I sighed with irritation. “And that, that doesn't justify your actions, especially because I trusted you. I trusted you as my..."

"Ohh quit it! And why would I want to be friends with a lowlife like you!?" Alvie lashed out, her eyes wide as if almost staring down to my soul. "The only place that people like you will ever stand is below our feet!" she added as if delivering her final blow and walked away.

I couldn't believe my best friend, to whom I confided in, had gone this far to make me miserable. Mixed feelings of sadness and anger overwhelmed me. As I stared at myself in the mirror it dawned on me more than ever that I had always been alone. 

I stumbled down the road and sat on the bus stop still sobbing. I couldn't believe that all this time she had been a fake. I slowly took out the pocket watch and checked the time. It was almost midnight and I hadn't gone home yet. I knew mom was worried but I didn't care at the moment. The only thing I wanted more than ever was to perish from that life. "Curse you Alvie, I hate you."


I slid backwards and gazed up at the sky. So many questions evaded my mind and all I wanted was for all of this to end. I had given up on life and most of all I had given up on myself. A failure and loser like me was never going to amount to anything. I sobbed as the watch hung open in my hand. The hour hand quickly spun backwards then stopped.

2