Ch. 18: Thrown Into Chaos – Part 1
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thrown Into Chaos - Part 1


"Alright grunts! Wake the hell up, grab your things, and get the hell outside!!"

Sian barged into the male dorm before the sun was even up, the female recruits marched in lockstep at the same time out of their room across the hall. Everyone lined up in formation just outside on the cracked and dated airstrip. Merlin and Graham were already waiting, standing a few yards from five large air transports, each of them labeled numerically one through five.

It was still deep into the night when everyone was fully assembled outside, the air was chilly. The bi-polar nature of this desert had become home for so long to these recruits, they remained unfazed by the elements of nature.

Commander Caleb Graham stepped forward once all the recruits got in line and dropped their bags to their right side uniformly. The tired faces on twenty hardened recruits still shone through their eager faces. They had only been asleep for four hours, and that was if you dozed off at the moment your head hit the pillow...

Atlas forced himself to stay alert, the cold desert winds helped a bit, but he was more concerned about the nature of the sudden exercise. Something seemed different about this announcement.

Did something happen?

Many of the recruits must have been thinking the same way. A nexus event nearby, or some kind of emergency. Maybe it was less then that, just some sort of test or drill that was kept under wraps by the instructors.

Graham cleared his throat before announcing what the all the fuss was about.

"Nine weeks ago you all took the first step into becoming soldiers. It is rather impressive for a void mage training unit to have kept up its numbers so vigorously. Twenty of you remain, you all should be commended for that!"

He clapped his hands together a few times, though he remained alone in the gesture.

The commander crossed his arms behind his back again and then continued his announcement.

"There are however ways to nip even the deepest rooted weeds... And I am sure some of them remain among you. So from today on, these next two weeks will challenge your mettle. Are you truly worthy to carry the title of vanguard?!"

The recruits collectively exchanged glances, this was an unprecedented occurrence. Though none dared to voice their opinion on the matter, something obviously felt strange about this.

Merlin stepped forward in line with Graham.

"Just hours ago, the order was given by Sovereign Corvis for all recruits in the 91st to be given practical response and survival training. This is in response to a string of murders relating to void mages all across the Western Region."

He paused for a moment and glanced over to Atlas. He felt his gaze even with the helmet concealing his face. The recruits were shaken by his words, that even for a moment some of them broke their silence. This was the first any of them had heard of this news.

Merlin quelled their concern quickly.

"Pipe down recruits! The news is unpleasant, but you must carry yourselves accordingly. Now listen up! You each will be divided evenly into squads of five, assigned flags, and air dropped into separate locations in an undisclosed location. Each member of a team will carry a tag on their waistband. If the tag is removed or severed then you will be considered dead and eliminated from this training exercise. Your goal will be to protect the flag of your established headquarters for two weeks. Your team must have their flag by the end of the exercise to be considered for selection!"

Sian stepped forward and put her hands on her hips, interjecting before Merlin could continue.

"If you die here. That's it. No chance at selection. Those who remain, will be assigned a squad once the two weeks in the field have concluded and the team flags have all been accounted for. Any questions?"

Merlin gestured for all recruits to be allowed to speak freely and rest at their position.

One young woman spoke up first amongst the group:

"What about weapons? And the means for securing flags from other teams?"

Graham snickered at the recruit and answered her question. Brushing his moustache as he replied.

"Any means necessary that does not result in the death of your comrades. Oh! And for weapons, your orders have all been processed. Each recruit will be receiving their catalyst for the duration of the exam. Rest assured!"

Orion Kang spoke up with a final question.

"Even if the rest of the team were eliminated, so long as I carry the flag by the end of the exam, it would be considered a pass?"

Merlin answered his question this time.

"As is the case in the field, the mission comes first. If even one soldier carries the objective though, the sacrifice was not in vain. This is what it means to be a mage on the front lines. If all were to fail here, those behind the veil would be next. Sacrifice is also something you will need to become accustomed to."

No one else had any further questions, being in the vanguard meant being ready at any moment no matter the hour. They each understood that whether it was man or beast, the mission of slaying threats to humanity was the foremost duty of a void mage unit. What better way to prepare them for the real world than to thrust them into it.

"Your exam begins the moment the order for take-off is given, this will happen when the full team enters the transport. Getting ahead of the rest means finding your assigned unit before the others! Each transport has a plaque with the labeled assignments. Now mount up maggots!" Anders was getting fired up, just before she finished she uttered the words retold by generations of void mages before beginning their hunts: Invictus Illumina!

In unison the entire force of recruits chanted the motto in response... Invictus Illumina, the undefeated, the unconquerable.

The recruits all broke from formation over to the troop carriers, they resembled dragonflies with propellers that could rotate directions. Atlas had seen a machine operate like this in his world too, they functioned as both airplanes and helicopters depending on the operation. Each carrier had a list of recruits meant to board, the one labeled five was for the instructors of the examination, who would be overseeing the exam from another undisclosed location. Luckily Atlas found his name on the ship in the center, team three.

Atlas ran into carrier three once he glanced at the plaque, he was the first in his squad to arrive. There was a large wooden crate bolted into the floor of the modular troop transport in-between the two rows of benches. It was spacious in the carrier, it could hold two five man cells as well as supplies in the rear. Yet it was still slim enough to travel through most terrains low to the ground. Two other recruits followed closely behind Atlas as he sat down.

Orion and Leo Kang. 

"You two? Perfect." Atlas was relieved to see familiar faces assigned to his squad.

The twins sat on either side of Atlas.

Orion spoke up first. "The teams must be assigned based on who you work well with already. Makes sense for an operation out of the blue like this."

"Whoever we got assigned with, wouldn't matter anyway. We will come out on top!" Leo chimed in right after.

Atlas smiled at the though of his remaining team members.

Then that means we must be getting them too...

The next recruit rushed in right after. It was Elizabeth who then turned and shouted behind her.

"Lena! Your name is listed on three!!"

Lena caught up shortly after and entered the transport. The moment she stepped on the ship, Atlas gave the order to the pilot for lift off.

The load ramp began to close behind Lena as she got situated with the other recruits on the transport.

"Team three recognized and accounted for. Final transportation location set, ready for take off. Tower one please acknowledge."

The pilot up front began a request for safe takeoff. The recruits eagerly waited for the go ahead. The light turned red above them and everyone felt the transport motion upwards into the air.

This was it. Our final test.

A long road led to this moment, the agonizing training he had gone through these last few months. The amount of training with Elizabeth, Merlin, and Sian to perfect his spell casting. Atlas was still unable to produce meaningful results, but he could at least produce some energy. If he knew anything, it was that he performed under pressure. This could be the chance to awaken the power that he knew lay dormant within him. 

An announcement came over the intercom shortly after takeoff. It was muffled but clearly Merlin's voice.

"Listen up recruits. The container in the center of the transport is the remainder of your standard issue equipment. They will contain your catalysts, the weapons in which you embed your void stones. Each customized based on your personal ability, traits, and of course the personal requests you all submitted. You will also find rations for five that will last you two days and two nights. Medical supplies are also included. If you are wounded in this operation, it will be up to your squad mates to dress and care for you. This will be treated as an active warzone for the duration of the exercise. In the event of a life threatening injury, shoot up your designated black signal flare. Once you do, you forfeit your participation in the operation and will be expelled."

The squad all looked around at each other worryingly as he spoke. This was no joke, they gave the option of continuing up to the ones involved. There would be no external intervention if things went south. The intensity was building among those in the room.

The automated message continued: "Any and all threats must be dealt with by the examinees, both external and internal. This includes the unprecedented but possible emergence of a nexus while the exam is conducted. Wild void beasts are also a possibility this far out from a veil, you have all trained for this moment, let it be known that to make it this far is a massive accomplishment. I am proud of you all, I look forward to seeing you back at base. Hold fast. And remember, Invictus Illumina."

Once those final words came through, the entire team sat in silence. The anticipation of the long flight was eating away at everyone's nerves.

0