Ch. 19: Thrown Into Chaos – Part 2
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thrown Into Chaos - Part 2


The silence was almost deafening, setting aside from the propellers that barreled the airship to an unknown drop location the group stayed mostly quiet. Steeling their nerves for whatever they may encounter off the get go.

Minutes ticked by as the sweat dripped from Atlas' brow. He glanced around, watching as the rest of his comrades all began to shift around in their seats.

Leo spoke up first as if sensing that his time to shine was now.

"I don't think we all have formally met. I'm Leo Kang, affinity of fire." He gave his brief summer then snapped his fingers, channeling a spark in his finger tips that ignited like a small candle. His bright red eyes shone like rubies in the light.

He stood up and walked over to greet the two girls sitting across from him.

Lena and Elizabeth introduced themselves to Leo and then the three of them turned to face Orion.

He let out a sigh and parted his hair that covered one of his bright blue eyes. "I'm Orion, affinity of water. And no... I won't be showing it off." He went straight for the small book that was in his pocket, a tech manual of some sort. He was not a shy character, but he definitely chose to expel himself from social interaction at times.

The brothers were polar opposites, but they each looked somewhat the same aside from their hair styles. It was easy to tell them apart at a glance at least. Both were blonde and tall. Leo was rambunctious and easy to get along with, it was fitting that he wielded flames. His brother was basically the complete opposite, though his confidence showed when he spoke. If you didn't know him, it was like a shroud of arrogance covered him. But he was actually pretty humble, at least from Atlas' experience.

Atlas was the last to introduce himself, though he felt it was a little redundant. Everyone here was pretty much affiliated with him already. Orion was quick to point that out once he finished his introduction.

"The wonder kid!" Leo wouldn't stop describing him that way ever since the first time he successfully tuned. Though Atlas had been unable to conjure any sort of useful magic during his extensive training with his stone again after that day. Elizabeth had made sure his ability was not hindered externally once again, but it was likely due to his lack of experience. It would come with exposure and practice. These upcoming two weeks were a chance to utilize what he had learned.

The pouch where Atlas kept his stone was on his waistband, along with a medical pouch and other necessities. This was the very minimalist kit a mage had to have at all times. They even carried a side-arm just in case for emergencies or if a mage was separated from their catalyst and stone. Though most knew that if a mage had to resort to his gun, it was likely to put a bullet to his own brain before succumbing to a horrific death.

Atlas suggested they open the crate with supplies before they reached the drop point.

Elizabeth had already begun prying open the lid and handing out the rations and extra medical supplies that came with it. Everyone was eager to get their weapons for the first time. Lena volunteered to be first walking over and pulling out a case containing her weapon. She was the only recruit in the entire 91st who still had yet to tune to a stone.

So instead she was issued an Artemis battle rifle, designed to be utilized at middle to long range engagements with threat level one or two classifications. The cartridge was a standard issue 12.7x54mm, and it could unleash ten rounds of subsequent fire before requiring a reload. Xander Gale carried a rifle very similar to this. Even for Lena's small stature, she was used to this rifle by now. Though she could be bogged down by prolonged engagements, her physical prowess had definitely improved since her training began. Just a few months ago she had never fired a gun before. Now she was a capable marksman with talent to boast, Atlas knew since they had trained frequently together at the target range.

Elizabeth had received a bow staff, that she could also attach a bow string to for longer ranged engagements which she excelled at. It was designed with her ability to produce an unlimited supply of projectiles using her ice magic. She modeled it after the bow she claimed her grandmother used to carry. She also had the ability to shape the staff into a longsword of ice or a spear tipped with frozen stones. She inserted her void into the slot at the center of the device and it glowed a faint sky blue color.

Once she had finished getting accustomed to her device she also handed out some radio transmitters to the team.

They all agreed to set them to a frequency and agree to check in five minutes after drop. There was no map or other means of communication, flares would be dangerous as they could reveal their position easily. They decided to use the yellow if they had not found one another within the first day.

Next up on the loot box was Leo, whom had shin gauntlets custom made for him, he was famous among the recruits for his martial arts background. Easily taking down everyone who opposed him in hand-to-hand combat exercises. He could incorporate his flames into his movement, and you would not know it unless you asked but he was also a skilled dancer. This combination was deadly with the right person wielding it. He affixed his shin guards to his legs and embedded two stones into each one. It also was pretty modular and had other gadgets according to him, yet he would save those treats for later.

Orion had requested special gloves that could assist in his manipulation of the water element. He could create a shield of water, fire it as a projectile from his fists, or even use his finger tips to slice into a log with fast moving wave forms. Orion placed two of his stones into each gloves, the deep ocean glow they emitted was calming. The blue eyed twin was an expert at his spell casting, manipulating water was second nature to him. As expected from someone born with natural talent for magic, similar to Elizabeth. It seemed contradictory to his other interests though, that being building gadgets and electronics, Atlas had heard he was constantly breaking things with his spells at home, and so he had to be ready to fix whatever he damaged.

Finally, Atlas took out his weapon of choice. The others in the airship observed him as he drew out the sheathed weapon. A single sword.

Lena especially was astonished by his weapon of choice.

"Just like back then huh?"

Atlas unsheathed the blade. It was a katana of black steel, with a single white line outlining the center of the blade all the way to the tip. He was unfamiliar with most weapons, he reflected on his choice, wondering if it should have been a club or a blunt object. Similar to a bat of some kind, or something he was more used to. Though he remembered the potency of his magic the day he fought the Draconid. It was unleashed fully with the blade that Tempest carried. He wanted to try and wield the same object that gave him that miracle that day. He turned the blade over and embedded the stone he carried within its hilt. Though it did not resonate once it was placed.

He let out a sigh. "Go figure."

* * *

It had been a while since they left base camp, and the crew had been patiently waiting for their destination to be in sight.

Now that things had slightly calmed down, Atlas had some more time to think on the matter at hand. What really troubled him was the true nature of this exercise.

The reason for this exam, it seemed so out of left field. He understood that pitting other mages against each other would elevate their experience in person-to-person combat. Just as he wanted to ask for the thoughts of the others, the intercom on the airship chimed on. An announcement from the pilot commenced.

They were all swiftly interrupted once they had all collected their belongings.

"Drop zone is five minutes out! Prepare for falling orders!"

The recruits all lined up on the edge of the deployable ramp door behind the yellow 'fall' line. They had no time for words as they attached themselves to the self deploying parachute ropes that dropped down next to their heads. They attached them to the tag labeled deploy on their bag. They each had their rucksacks nested on the front of their bodies as to not impede their chutes.

As the door open wind gushed in at a speed that nearly knocked Atlas over. The sun had yet to rise, and the stars were plentiful. The entirety of team three were ready to jump, they gave the thumbs up all down the line until the final jumper told the pilot they were green. Everyone had done this before during deployment training, but now was the real deal! The red light flipped to green and the pilot issued his order to dive.

"GO! GO! GO!"

Atlas stepped out and his chute line zipped upwards, the deployment began mere seconds after his feet exited the aircraft. His parachute had unfurled perfectly, no hiccups so far. Since he was first he could not see any of his comrades above him, he decided to get a lay of the land from the sky once he got himself situated.

Protruding out in the vast sea of sand he could see a jungle oasis a few miles large around, buildings of various sized dotted the vast landscape. He could tell the place below his feet was not a natural landmark or formation, it was too lush and fanciful. Not to mention Atlas knew of no jungles in Southern California back in his world.

This must be our drop zone.

He could not help but notice how rugged the terrain was the closer he got to the ground, torn and uneven all around. Like a malformed puzzle.

The sand was spilling over the crags and craters all around. One end of the oasis even had a sun-stained miniature mountain, that seemed to resemble a volcanic outcrop. This entire scenery was foreign for sure. Three or four different biomes collided together to create a place so alien and mystical that it rivaled the forest just beyond Rosette. Jungle-like greenery filled the areas in this strange place below his feet, that was the one common feature within this mess of a landscape. Off in the distance he could see a leaning stone tower, at least that is what it appeared to be at first glance.

A landmark of some kind.

He made a mental note of the single structure in this entire location. The one thing that was odd to him was how devoid of natural life this place looked, no flying wildlife at least. He was too high in the sky to see anything on the surface, which made him somewhat nervous as he approached the treetop canopy. 

Carefully, Atlas maneuvered his chute through the winding branches and leaves, trying not to get snagged on something that could leave him stranded. A few moments later he made landfall and dropped his parachute bag on the ground, packing it up as neatly as he could before sliding it over his ruck sack, now with both bags to his rear he could focus on finding his team.

He fiddled around with the cylinder transmitter that was given to him and adjusted it over to the channel they agreed on once again just to make sure it was correct.

"Team three this is Castell, checking in. Drop was green on my end."

All he could hear was static. No response from anyone on his team.

Strange, I don't see any damage on this thing.

There was no assigned rendezvous point due to the surprise factor of the exercise, so he instead decided to trek on foot in a radius around his own drop point. The signal flare plan would be his last resort, at least until sundown.

I shouldn't stray too far, I didn't see any of the other teams drop in at the same time as us.

Were they the first or the last team? Maybe each team was given a different assigned drop time? He pondered these questions carefully, if they were the last team on the ground. It could spell disaster if any of the teams decided to come and eliminate him. He had to find someone from team three quickly before risking an ambush on himself.

Just as he cleared the brush away some a panicked female voice echoed through his communicator.

"Team three, Leo got snagged, he hit the ground hard. He is unconscious. I saw someone land East of my position. If that was any of you, head over ASAP."

It was Lena, Atlas recognized the voice easily. He turned to his left.

"Lena! Do you copy? This is Atlas, I read you! If the situation is dire send up a flare now..."

No response again...

Man I hope this direction is right.

He took off running in the direction he thought might be where Lena was. Already things were taking the worst possible turn, just five minutes in the jungle.

0