1.04: Something hit the fan, and it stinks- (+Poll)
322 28 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV: Jack.

Once inside, both Prissy and Rose peel off from his sides, to seek out their own bathrooms, to ― as Prissy said, "be less dirty".

'... I ... can understand these girls for this reaction, actually. Dealing with the sudden perversions of those huge brutes-'

Neither of them must like having their arms or hands pinned in grasp of those strong Red Capes. Jack himself would not stand for it, and even he could not fight them off. And now at least Rose does have an idea of the type of adventurers he meant, when he told her about some of them. They ― the 'Red Capes' ― were the best at adventuring ... but the worst at living a human's life. Jack would be pretty sure they probably did some of those inhumane things with the dungeon monsters, too ― if they ever caught one to hold down between dungeon levels.

Which might be why Rhona the dungeon mistress probably also liked Jack. Because he's sure one or two in his old party those days might have also done some of those things ... so then what's a dungeon mistress to do, when she sees a human adventurer not normally fighting the minions, but playing foul with one of them in every perverse way? Only three died from the party of twelve that day; but those three were already the lewdest crudest of them all, and most likely to sneak off, find a singled out female minion, and-

'Aah forget it,' he thought. 'Or rather, I should not; but I have to push away some of those dark thoughts for now. Because ... the next topic should be more of how to discuss and then convince Rose to accept moving location ... to the other side of this world, no less.'

Moving ... a dungeon. His heart and mind still pondered this, a lot. If the deities say it's possible ... who is he to argue, but just accept it as a true promise. He did not need to know 'how' to make it possible any more than Rose did ― but it would be nice anyway.

'At least this would put both Rose and I out of range from the dirty slutty princess who cannot stand the hot peppers-'

Rose would probably go for this reason alone ― keeping Ella away from both of them ― but Jack didn't want her to remain thinking this way. In truth ... he needed her to know the truth and then pick the right way. It's a 'hard sell' to bypass the easy "si, vamonos alla ahora, mi hombre" ― and to try for the same based on more difficult commentary and presumption.

But at least this supplemental package will be a welcome addition ... whatever is in it. Jack could not know, did not need to know right now. Rose would share what she felt right to share; he was sure of that. But she and he have no need of secrets anyway.

His mind does reel from all the concerns. 'How exactly did those brutes overpower my girls here? Rose ... okay, yeah she is still a pacifist; but ... Prissy-'

Only if Prissy didn't have time to reach for her throwing blades, as if she'd been ... distracted-

... it might somehow be Jack's fault, he considered the possibilities . He did, sort of, 'tease' her affectionately. But that should not keep her preoccupied! She could remain alert at all times! She said she would always be so, once before!


Many tens of minutes have passed. Jack is still here, sitting on the sofa like object which Rose had the orcs figure out how to build, waiting for either Rose or Prissy to exit out from their personal bath time. Anyone to talk to-

And, it's Prissy first. Quickest at whatever she does, so she can again be ready to assist Rose with anything. For some reason she's blushing again as she caught sight of him, but coming back in the living room area anyway.

"Prissy ... about ... the thing said ... earlier-"

"I know, right? She was totally in the wrong to assume that, right? Totally! She even pointed at me!"

'What-'

His initial reaction, one of being stumped over the sudden answer.

'-er-'

The second thing to think, he knew she had given this as a specific response to something.

'-oh ... yeah that.'

Then, Jack 'got it' ― was clued in on the fact of her self distraction.

'That was not what I was going to say, at all ― I meant the teasing thing I said myself ― but now I have to confront what the princess claimed, too.'

"... eh ... don't mind her. She was trying to provoke me, not you or Rose. I don't care what she thinks."

"I didn't like it! I mean ... I feel ... um." Prissy devolved into a mumble.

Lapsing again to silence.

Jack cleared his throat in a fake cough, then tried to start again.

"But ... here's the thing. I do like you-"

Her eyes sparked in some direct interest to what he said.

"-in the way that I'll be seeing you here with Rose and I. Even if you've been glaring at me a lot, I do respect you, and even like you for your protective nature over Rose. I'd also hope this in some manner will extend to me too, as Rose's husband, mate, whichever word you feel fits-"

"-you two should get a room," Rose teased with a laugh, coming into the room at last.

"Mi Rosita, my wife, are you saying Prissy and I should go ahead and do something private?"

"N, no. But Jack, I know how you've been teasing Prissy; so it's not like I'm not so wrong to tease too!"

'I think, Prissy feels a little hurt by this, just a little.'

First, Prissy is not stupid; she knows how protective Rose will be of Jack herself, and thus 'hands-off' for Prissy toward Jack. Because a last challenge regarding the princess, "if she comes back for you, I will kill her," as a full challenge and threat, is still fresh in all our minds.

'But second, the thing is, if Dayna was right too, maybe Prissy does feel something toward me as well. Some kind of inner conflict and turmoil for her. This is not saying Prissy is in love with me; however for as much as she did act standoffish in my presence, an emotional inversion was just bound to happen. And so now, I see no reason Prissy cannot be willing to think of me as an ally, or friend, or ... something kind.'

"... eh, Rose. When I tease, it's not been so harsh as you. I still do take into consideration the mood and Prissy's feelings." Next, Jack turned to Prissy. "Dearest Prissy. What I said before, the 'I love you too' ... yes this was gentle teasing. But in truth, I do. Love you. For your loyalty to Rose. Which is also why I said this too, before Rose spoke up just a moment ago. I like you and respect you, but I did marry Rose; so a relationship from you to me or me to you does not extend into such a personal connection as what I have with her. But I do care about you too, Prissy. You are probably like my little sister, in a way. If that is okay, with you-"

Aww, she's probably never before had such honest words spoken to her; he felt sure this blush was so deep now, because she is embarrassed ... because she is embarrassed.

But at least these words are also reminding Rose, too, of how he is here and has a connection to the dungeon minions as well ... and not only to Rose. That is to say, Prissy is no mere maid, or even primary dungeon combatant if not a level boss monster at the moment. Prissy ... should mean something to Rose first, and also to Jack, somehow. Jack knew Rose cares about this nekomata; he just does not know if she loves Prissy for who she is.

As, conversely, even Jack can see how much Prissy dotes all over Rose.


PoV: Rose Thorn.

"... anyway-"

Jack shifted topics, and extracted a stored package, set it on the table in front of him, then slid it toward Rose.

"Your patron goddess did give me this, to hand to you, Rose. She did want me to extend more apologies she couldn't and didn't take more of a personal touch with helping you; but at the moment, she and the rest of the pantheon were still dealing with something. The mana burn effects, which I had to ignite ... spanning across the hemisphere. So ... there's that."

Rose gulped.

'Her! The one who brought me here and then left me?'

Rose held a glare to ... not Jack, but the package.

'I ... I hate it. I don't want anything more from her.'

"Take it," Jack continued with a gentle call, and maybe pushed it a small ways further.

"... Jack. Why."

"She ... no, all deities ... have a thought for us; we're not without patronage. And by extension, your patron goddess does wish to help you too. Please, whatever you feel about her, or the situation, please do not hold a grudge."

"Mistress? Please, take it? Maybe it is help, for us all?"

Even Prissy-

'I ... I can not forgive, just yet. But ... will it hurt, to look at this?'

Slowly, after a subtle sigh, Rose grabs the package and slides it closer on the table. At a touch, the top of this whole thing slowly begins unfolding itself, and other packages are placed on the table, on the floor, on the unused chairs ― anywhere they could go, and not be stepped on or tripped over.

Rose's eyes slowly teared up.

"W, why? Why would she ― why would any of them do this!"

"... like I said, mi rosita. They ... have a plan. Something they would like to ask you and me and all the dungeon minions to do ... if we are willing ― and I am. But I'd like to ask you in their behalf-"


PoV: Jack Thorn.

Jack spindled out the details, a bit at a time ― all except for the part he was not supposed to say ― to ultimately indicate the reason.

"It's ... you are being asked to agree. Agree to the deities to move the dungeon, to the other side of the world. It's a fair enough sized world, by the way; we would no longer be in this hemisphere, you would no longer have any worry about the princess coming after me, but we could still possibly have a way back here if needed. You do have agreements with some merchants in the village, through your rabbit merchants. We could see Dayna too, as I think she'd keep your secret. But even if not, we don't need to disappear so quickly ― except for the coming Red Capes, which in a while anyway won't be a problem."

"... other side of the ... huh?"

"What it sounded like is, the natives on the opposite side of the world are not so hostile as this local kingdom. Even if some come inside for adventure, you can still keep the agriculture part, maybe even trade with some adventurers. Who knows, maybe you are the first of a new breed of dungeon bosses."

"B, but."

"Mistress. Please say yes."

Jack looked at Prissy, glad for the support but also surprised to get it so suddenly.

But in a way, it does make sense. Perhaps in this last few days, Prissy may have been examining herself, or capabilities, and somehow knew she was not enough, to defend against the Red Capes, never mind any more than a few of them. The scene earlier itself could have proven it. Or maybe Prissy is now going through a trace of shock at how she could have completely been grabbed, almost brutalized, at the human adventurer's hands.

'At least, it does not look as if she is blaming me, for any part of it. I would be more worried if she thought all humans were bad, just because of a few bad apples.'

Rose seemed to be stopping at one final thought, before saying it; sometimes Jack saw her just ... hold like this, so still, before openly saying what's on her mind. Maybe for part of it, it went back to how she was as a human from Earth, or the way she was treated back then too. But nobody treated her like this, now, did they?

"... okay. For you, my precious Jack ― I will. As long as you do not leave me."

"Why would I leave you? Aah, you worry too much. Mi Rosita, my precious wife. I am yours and you are mine. That's why when I said my vows to you, I added in the little phrase, 'wherever life may take us' but you just giggled. Yes, sure, as a dungeon mistress you had the sudden thought you cannot be moved, not for anything in the mortal world ― but when it comes to a deity, all bets are off. I mean to say, no matter where either you or I go, we are still connected. We will still be a family, Rose, no matter if we're here or on the other side of a world."

Prissy spoke up. "Then ... why would these deities even need to ask us minions? Why not just you, Jack, and then Mistress Rose?"

"Because I think they have a thought of including your intent as individuals to follow wherever Rose decided ― stay or go. Rose's existence does not depend upon the position in the world, but in her actions and response to what goes on there. It's a one last attempt to convince Rose, to not feel so stuck or without option, here."

"... I'm not stuck-"

"Well in a way, yes you are, Rose. At least for how you think. In that even since I've known you, you have had a faint thought of the deities abandoning you here, especially for your patron goddess Delilah, Goddess of Trickery."

"But ... I do not want to be a trickster. I had enough of that from my own uncle ... in the past life."

"No it's not saying you have to be a trickster; but ... let's just say, the deities as a whole have a reason to have you be a new thing they can use to play one giant trick upon those who have had too much luck. Leandra herself told me this before; she said some in this world just naturally have accumulated too much luck or fortune, and she'd like to even it out. Delilah for her part as the newest deity in the bunch, has a part too, and for bringing you to this world-"

"Oh. Then I'm just a tool ... ? How do you think that makes me feel! Jack, think-"

"-better a willing tool that gets benefits for service, than one used against your will who gets nothing in exchange-"


PoV: Prissy.

She saw the mistress storm out of the room, to ... wherever. Somewhere else, in the dungeon. Maybe to go plant those pepper seeds.

Prissy felt torn; should she go with her mistress, or stay ... with Jack.

In the end, she just stayed. If the mistress needed her, she would call for her. And anyway, Prissy did like cleaning this space, and making it more beautiful. Even if her own emotions were in turmoil, she could still-

Arms wrapped around her, suddenly, and she stiffened, then relaxed.

"I'm sorry, if this is a tense moment, Prissy."

She turned, and suddenly buried her head in Jack's shoulder, and ... let loose a tear. No, she did not want to cry! But she couldn't stop it!

But at a casual sniff, she sensed ... his body odor.

"Mistress' consort should go bathe."

Despite her blunt and serious intent, Jack laughed. "Yeah well, I was waiting my turn."

Prissy let go of him, and turned so he wouldn't see her teary face.

"It is fine, go ahead."


PoV: Jack Thorn.

Jack wondered if the Red Capes could be trusted to not do what they might do elsewhere. Even now, sticking first one bare leg into the tub of steamy water, then the other, he fought back the anticipation of just going and seeing whether his imagination was getting the better of him. No; the village should not rely upon him to be their defense-

But despite that, he had friends, who he'd want to not come to harm, even innocent bystanders in Ella's quest to drag him back. Say, if the capes should take someone young like Ania Zoeller, barely to her teens, and hold her down-

-well. Jack would likely hound them mercilessly, until their very end. And he wouldn't be too keen on ending it early or painlessly.

Fully submerged up to his shoulders, Jack could only sigh. This bath was humongous for one thing, and gave a good soothing relief in its ultimate temperature control feature. Its waters would neither cool nor drain away while a person sat within it; nor would the inhabitant ever worry about drowning or the water overflowing. Jack had asked Rose about it after first coming here to see her regularly, and he'd been pleasantly happy to hear what thought she had put into the early engineering of this space.

And, sigh again; not in relief, and not in frustration either. But this ― this time, at least, in response to an internal summary.

All along, having been drawn into this world by Erinna the Goddess of Purity, he'd done as he thought his service to her, and the kingdom, had demanded. Even in giving his seed to that bitchy princess, who he felt or knew as not a great mate ― he'd thought of it as a 'duty'.

Then one day, after the 'mana burn' ... Erinna herself had appeared to him, while he recovered in the kingdom's hospice, to tell him not all of his decisions were so good for the world, or for him, or even for her. Yes she'd been unhappy; not pissed off unhappy, just mildly frustrated with him.

Which is why, of all things, while recovering ― Jack had spent so much time in deep introspection. Examining his values, his reasons, and ... all of it. Like, finally coming to a conclusion of ― 'I am done serving this kingdom'. And so, he'd had to leave.

As if it wasn't enough to suddenly be without the sword soul who had been there for as long as he had; to suddenly be without a home or a job ― Jack had decided to wander. Running away from a responsibility or not, he'd decided to see the world, before someone did something bad and it got difficult to see any of it ― like for instance, kicking off a mana burn, and losing a best friend in the same instant?

Yeah that hurt too. All in all, one of the things which did disappear which he might never want to have back ... the ability and means to pull off another mana burn. Only if this world became ultimately hell for him and Rose, would he so much as think of this 'nuclear option'. Killing off the remainder of the mana in the world ... even the deities might get involved then. But without so much mana in this half of the world, it was not possible ... yet.

And for another. He'd had one of seven 'Return Point' locations set in some back alley of the capital's merchant district, through which he could come and go with ease, in his adventuring. Since the mana burn, his ability to travel the world that way also vanished; well good, he could now just walk the world by foot power. But, so was everyone else who had that ability similarly locked to foot travel. So many of the things in this world had ... gone silent. So many people in the capital had blamed him, why how their shiny magic didn't work so well now. Less mana to go around, and all that. An astute wizard did say something like 'if you come back, I will roast you alive' ... or something. He'd want to believe Zorda was just joking, but ... hmm, maybe not.


PoV: Blake Hardan, 'Old Man Hard-on'.

Blake fumed. Even sitting here in the crappy place this settlement called a bar or diner ― though the waitress was pretty, more pretty than that so called owner ― and fuming, nothing could sate his lust right now.

The princess had just ... dismissed him.

Dismissed him did she?

Well. Even his own lusts, and those of his men, might not be sated by anything this village would have to offer. More; he as well as one or two more might tend to have an interest in this slutty princess who'd been said to have screwed a lot of adventurers, just none of the Red Capes yet. What, she wanted to screw that Jack boy again ... make another heir ... and wasn't Blake instead like ten times better than the supposed hero?

Instead of Jack going and doing his duty like a brave little thing, something even Hardan could live vicariously through getting Jack to tell the details later ― he could instead only ... fume. Because this felt like some person was now making a fool of himself.

Being hit by a lightning strike ― however did the boy accomplish that, he might wonder ― was bad enough, it even scared him ... well, 'witless' for one thing. Then, a few minutes walk more after departing, and taking a moment to strip and cleanse his body and clothes in the local stream-

Yeah, a fool. Someone or something was making a fool of him. Even his own men had laughed at him ... but only once, this trip.

Across from him, his vice captain Donal Lane the 'Silver Smiter' bore a black eye and a new broke tooth. And since the mana burn, even healers were charging exorbitant rates. Well so he got what he deserved; he'd learn never to make fun of someone who pays you.

Yet for all that, the four at this table and the four at the next table ― they were a team, alright. The original team even, from before the Red Capes rose to power. These same eight people, Hardan included, had successfully taken down their first dungeon; but when most adventuring teams would ride the glory for a while, this same eight had taken in four more 'assistants' to go along with, and raided and demolished their second dungeon.

Even only on their third dungeon destruction had they passed by this new summoned 'hero' boy, Jack Thorn. One of the new recruits had pointed him out before they passed the hero's group. Hardan might have liked to have stayed a bit, maybe earn some favor with a hero; but ... the youngsters then were getting restless; so no way would he let some other team kill that dungeon, hero or not-

Hardan lifted the empty mug, waggled it in the air toward the 'owner', indicating a desire for more. He saw her nod, and bring a pitcher toward them.

The proprietress, she not only brought the pitcher, she went ahead to pour into their mugs, as a free service today. Hmm maybe grabbing her bottom he could get away with.

At the next table, his third in command, the Reverent Richard Bright let out a large belch, then grumbled across the aisle Hardan's way.

"So why again didn't we just ... surround that creep Jack and trash him and his little miss-"

Bright, isn't. For Bright couldn't see how sudden this proprietress stiffened at the name, yet held her calm composure. Hardan knew, Jack would be a known person in such a small village. To infer this team would have misgivings against someone who might have friends here ... meant making their time of dealing with the boy and his wife, more challenging.

Oh but that's only if any of the locals knew of Jack's whereabouts, or the nature of the little bitchy wife his team had 'captured'. If Jack had not returned, then for sure they would have taken her and the little kitty back with them for some playtime. But as it was, this dungeon mistress claiming her husband would come for her- How da frik would that work ― husband?

Well okay. So. Dungeon creatures weren't without individual personalities; even the skeletons in some dungeons 'talked'. This he'd known, as they sometimes heard dungeon minions growl or hiss or squeak to each other, no doubt sharing strategies or tactics to defeat the invaders. Sometimes his own officers and teammates might be said to ― while in a dungeon dive ― go find a female dungeon minion and ... do what guys do upon them. Sometimes a mutual act, sometimes it took four men to hold down one female minion, while one went ahead and raped with glee-

Hardan wouldn't do that; no way would he stick his own glorious member inside something what wasn't his slave or some willing girl. At the least, never inside a dungeon, because an adventurer should be aware of what's happening around him or her. And you can't do that if you're busy plugging away at some poor thing, even in some supposedly 'safe zone'.

"Shut it, Bright. Not now."

The frustrated man started again; but at a firm glare, from his boss Hardan no less, decided to just ... keep quiet. For once. How Bright, the leader of the section of fencers for the Red Capes, could be so deadly at his job yet such a poor drinking companion ... boggled the mind.


PoV: Jack Thorn.

Rose was again back in the zeroth floor, into their private dwelling place. She looked moody to Jack, who ― while done with his bathing time, and had gone to preparing his old armor ― sat in pensive silence.

"... Jack, I ... um."

"Yeah I know, Rose. We may disagree at times; but ... I still love you. I apologize if my words ever hurt."

"No it's not so much words, as ― I already feel like I'm not in control."

"But you are. Say for example one of the goddesses pointed out, they never could have foreseen me coming to this area, much less meeting you, and much more less than that, having a relationship with you. And even extremely less likely that I and you would have ... married. No; that's all you and I; so yes, you aren't a tool; we made a relationship. Us two."

She nodded silently, while Jack continued on at this polishing and preparing the once great armors of his former adventuring and heroic life.

Already, each piece in this set had some story to tell in his gathering the coin or other resource to obtain it. Boots of Swiftness, earned in the Dungeon of the Winds. Pants and shirt, not enchanted naturally, but some random gift from the princess after successful conception; the enchantments on them for Stamina Up and Health Regen Up came later. Belt of Thousand Storages, sold cheap by a traveler who didn't know its value; but worth it even at a hundred times the buying price. A matched set of arm and shin guards, all equally enhanced by Dexterity Up; he'd won this in a fight versus one of Hardan's lieutenants. Breastplate of Defense, an overly costly artefact he'd gained as his loot share ... the same time he'd lost a girlfriend in a dungeon adventure.

All these pieces together, made him a good adventurer and hero ... for the kingdom who summoned him. Yeah, okay; not great ... but good. But now, in having finally defeated the demon king ― from demon versus human armies, in an all out battle front ― such a source of his nightmares. The last of his adventures being, that one fateful day.

In some ways, he'd really hoped to put that behind him. But in other ways, he'd heard older adventurers claim, you never really forget all the horrors of the earlier days. And then the next week, old man Krittendon had taken his own life, a suicide for having remembered doing all too many things he then regretted. Did Jack somehow pretext that, in asking all those questions?

Jack hoped, sorely, that his own life never ended up that way. But. One thing's for sure ― for his life right now, he'd already had enough nightmare fueled dreams, of his own doing.

Because for a certainty ― Erinna the Goddess of Purity being his patron ― the necessity of drawing him back to 'purity' meant, he'd ... from time to time ... feel the results of his choices. Even if this meant he'd be forced to experience a triggered flashback or nightmare, at times. And, he felt one coming, so soon-

So ... Jack's going to have a flashback, to relive the day of the mana burn?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
5