Chapter 23: Improved Technique
314 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I use my temporary phone to film Harriet announcing the hospital I will visit; again, a simple "The goddess Carla will visit healing upon …" and post it on all the major social media sites. Several minor ones, too, this time.  And I make my own cards. 

At tonight's hospital, I start on a repeat of exactly the same thing as the last time, but I add on Healing Lorecall for myself, and use it when dropping a bunch of my natively permanent Symbols of Healing all over the place in pairs, each set to trigger when the other fades. Which means each pair will have at least one running constantly. Any given symbol can only affect any given person once a day… bit there’s a lot of them. Simple injury or fatigue won't stick past a walk down these hallways, so the nurses and doctors will always be alert. Which is good, as this hospital specializes in treating injuries. 

Oh yes, and this place will be quite safe if there’s a zombie apocalypse. Not that I expect one. Making plague zombies, wights, shadows, or other self-replicating undead is beyond stupid. But if some idiot does, dropping some Celestial Brilliance spells should grind them away in mass.  Good for a demonic invasion, too. Hmm. Maybe I should make, and sell, stick-on lights based on it? Saves on folks' electric bills and prepares them for disaster. 

And I can get custom printed stickers pretty easily. Or just make a roll of them. Or maybe something with a cover so people can turn it off. With a little more complexity, maybe something so it can even be dimmed by rotation? Hmm…

I muse on such things as I make my rounds in the hospital. I did not know there were that many shootings and stabbings in this city. At least until I run into the trap.

My Find Traps spell flags me before I cure a particularly wounded patient.  He’s got tattoos all over his body, and clearly took a beating - I stop to look at his chart before applying anything to him: several broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, broken nose, and a few other things.  But my Find Traps spell tells me he’s rigged to blow when his blood pressure returns to normal.  Looking, with my eyes, I find a bomb under his hospital bed.  A clear liquid surrounding a small black package.  As I focus on it, I hear dice, and the voice of Dan in my head tells me “This nasty little package is a bomb, set to go off when the patient’s vitals normalize.  When the bomb goes off, it will breach a container of compressed ozone, scattering that and few gallons of Dicyanoacetylene, igniting them both in the process.  For a few seconds, it will cause the room to be hotter than the surface of the sun.  Deals 40d6 fire damage in a 30-foot radius spread, and half that in a 60 foot radius spread. Residual heat and flames continue to apply damage for another four rounds at half the original value.  There’s a secondary device that sends a signal on the current status of the bomb.”  

Wow, that might actually chew through all my HP if I set it off. Delay Death and Ferocity would … probably keep me moving. Maybe. And the bomb would probably reduce the neighboring rooms to slag, set fire to the building, maybe collapse it… they’re really not worried about collateral damage, are they?  Well, at least it’s not nuclear.  What to do?

OK, this is standard fare in the game, although Dan never used traps with a CR that high. I create a set of theive’s tools, and use the Disable Device skill, hearing dice in my head as I first sabotage the reporting device to get it ‘stuck’ on reporting the current status of the bomb regardless of what happens to it after, then disabling the bomb itself.  I take a moment to use my phone to sign up for a free email account, remove the now-disabled bomb, and put a note in the spot.  The contents?  “Why are you hunting me?” and my new e-mail address.  I then heal the man and continue my rounds. 

When I finish, I head back to my hotel room… and my phone's done downloading the software, so I install it on my laptop. I log in, and download a good open source phone distribution, installing it on a phone I make the same way as my laptop. And yes, my self-made phone has more horsepower than most desktops.

I also make 'batteries' for them based on an article about recycling carbon from used nuclear cooling rods. It's a good read, and neither phone nor laptop should need a charge for the next ten thousand years or so. I should even be able to charge other phones off mine for the first few millennia of that. And I clone several open source repositories to my laptop: I may want to set up a server farm off plane. The afterlife will have wifi for those who follow me!

I should probably set up a cell tower there, too. Need to figure out how to get an internet connection across planar boundaries… .

I migrate my sim card to my new phone, of course. Like with my lost phone, I animate the phone and stylus, but not the laptop. That I can just set on a table, and it has real buttons, so my laptop being unable to 'see' me won't matter.  Thinking about it, I also give the phone and stylus Mythic Fly spells and a Mythic Haste as well, as that will make them easier to find - I can just call them to me.

I go to check my social media accounts, and then remember: My old identity is dead. So I sign up for new social media accounts so I can see what kind of impact my recent activities have had.

Looks like Dan’s gotten a page started for my church, and has filled out the paperwork for official recognition as a non-profit. And when searching, I find quite a few folks who have posted testimonials on their kids' miraculous recoveries… about a third of them mention the cards, and use my name. Cool. Harriet has apparently used a couple of the potions for healing folks, and has taken to flying while prophesying. Her videos are starting to go viral - or at least, videos of her preaching … and there’s about a hundred comments on each one about the video being faked. Huh. Reading through them… no one comment is repeated for a given video, but between videos? Looks like they've got a hundred or so comments that are traded between as many accounts. And no one account uses the same comment twice. So if you look at one video, nothing looks bot generated. And if you look at one account, it doesn't seem to be a bot. But compare several of the bot accounts to each other, or several of the videos' comment sections, and a pattern emerges.

I wonder why they're not using a proper AI for that? It'd make it much harder to identify what's happening if they did.

Of course, if I call them on it, they'll ID my account. Which might be why they do it that way. So I'm going to let them get away with it for now. I’ll mull on it and come back to it. If nothing else, the sheer repetition and number of reporting folks from doing what we're doing will eventually discredit the discreditors if we keep it up. And they don't untangle the puzzle monster nature of my being. That I'm going to keep layering. Because I like living. 

Checking the time, I see it's almost time to meet up with Dan to give him all the Oracle spells. I plane shift off to the Magnificent Mansion in my old apartment, and drop the bomb off there. Should be pretty safe. I then Plane Shift to Dan’s. 

15