Chapter 28: Response
282 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I also take to patrolling. I wasn't entirely joking about why heroes patrol in comics. And Nonlethal Substitution metamagic makes any targeted direct damage spell perfect for capturing thugs. Invisible, Maximized, Twinned, Enlarged, Persistent, Nonlethal Chain Lightning lets me drop folks without obvious cause or worry about long term damage. Well, unless they fall face first in a puddle or something. And it lets me take down small groups if need be. I find my sky high Perception and good Sense Motive lets me pick and choose well. And of course, my stealth means there's no trace or warning. I focus on those with active and obvious victims - muggings, mostly.

My modus operandi? I wordlessly drop the aggressor from ten stories up, and let the intended victim decide how to handle the now unconscious perpetrator however he or she sees fit, with no input from me. They don't even know I'm there: They just hear the thunder as their attacker collapses unconscious. Some call the police. Some kick the perp a few times, and run. One lady calls an ambulance for her attacker. Ah, that's nice. I quietly drop Delay Disease on that lady. She deserves a reward. One guy slits the perp's throat and steals his wallet. Him… I leave him alone, but make a mental note not to rescue him again.

Defeating them gets me more XP than killing rats, but not by much. Still, I feel good about doing it, and it's not nearly as stinky work as cleaning out sewer rats.  I do kill every rat I see on the streets, though. Nasty little critters.

I get enough xp to level again overnight.

I take the time to do my level up paperwork for 11th. Power is good to have, after all. Mostly more of the same - increased defenses, widened spell options, numbers boosting - but I also go ahead and nab Starflight from the Outer Dragons. NASA is going to love me! I just need to leave them a note on an active rover to prove my claims. Yes, I could just look at some pictures from a rover, and use Greater Teleport to get there - it'd be faster, even - but Starflight doesn't require that I've been to where I'm going, which is important for any location where we don't already have probes giving us detailed pictures.

As I'm amusing myself with the idea of becoming critical infrastructure for NASA, I get a ping on Status from my prophet: Dead in a single hit. Well, not DEAD-dead. She was a summon, after all. The material just goes back to Mount Celestia or wherever.

I pull up the news and social media.  There's a bit of a delay, but… there. I find a video of her 'death': She got hit by a barrage of missiles. I download the video and go through it frame by frame: They have paint on them. Red and black, detailed patterns just like I saw on the guns at the casino. Each missile seems individually painted… with a bit of work, I manage to piece together the model number on the missiles, and look it up:

They used FGM-148 Javelin anti-tank missiles. Handheld fire and forget types. Four of them. That's a million dollar operation, before whatever it costs to get them enchanted and pay the folks who fired them.

I suppose it makes sense. They've been around a while, they have access to the power of myth… and clearly, they have money.  Hmm. "Chip in when an actual threat arises" and "Redskins" were mentioned in the mail. And those markings look like the ones on the guns in the casino.

I should send the casino folks a rep. Hopefully they're not too sore about the dead were-coyote… but I can bring him back if they haven’t cremated him; it hasn't been too long for Cyclic Reincarnate or Raise Dead, and Adam only put a sword through his heart - no dismemberment or anything.

And stopping an oppressive regime should be right up a Chaotic Good creature's alley, like those Lillends I prepared for the failed swamp meeting.  Perfect.  I  fetch one from my Divine Realm, and add a few buffs beyond my normal class A routine: True Seeing; Enable Function for Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Bluff, Disguise, and skill focus in all four: and Persistent Chain of Eyes. I want to keep tabs on my summon, and it'll be better if she isn't tricked by illusions and things.

I dub her Debbie Diplomat, and dress her up as the memory I gave to Kenneth Kolips the third, the agent of the organization that has me in their sights: A tall African woman with an unusually deep voice. I enjoy the view for a moment, before giving her some suitably iconic wear for a woman from Africa. And by "iconic" I mean "stereotypical" even though I know full well most African women living in the US adopt US clothing, including full coverage of their cheats (the outfit I picked for Debbie Diplomat is an orange and red half-robe that leaves her girls supported, but exposed - and yes, it’s legal in this state, I looked it up; we have an indecent exposure law, not a nudity law - the difference being "lewd behavior"). I'd like folks to think "I" am embodying some tribal myth that requires it - and I plan to reinforce that if the casino takes me up on reviving the were-coyote. The more red herrings my opponents need to run down, the better, as it makes it much harder to find my kryptonite, and gives me more time to run them down.

Also, I enjoy looking at a woman's chest. That hasn't changed even though I have my own, now. This is also related to why I made her initials "DD",  although her girls are really more like HH. Yes, I punished Dan for looking too hard. I may be a hypocrite.

I also provide Debbie with a satchel that looks like it was woven by hand from twisted grass dyed in various juices for color, and cast Secret Pockets to turn it into a Type III bag of holding. I load it up with a bunch of potions in amber bottles via Quick Potion: Fly, Invisibility, Cure Serious Wounds, Remove Disease, Remove Blindness, Neutralize Poison, Heroism, and many others - if it's beneficial and valid for a potion, I set Debbie up with three of them, labeled in Egyptian. I need her to be a very convincing potion maker, and fully able to demonstrate.  Which is also why I gave her a bag of holding: That's a lot of potions.

I also give her:
A small belt with easily-accessible potions that someone might want in a hurry: The basic curatives, Invisibility, and Fly.
A Magic Aura spell on her bag, and all the potions, so they detect correctly. I want her to set off the alarm, after all.
Several flasks that are unlabeled, and contain nothing but colored water.
Five of the 400 troy ounce gold bars, just like I made earlier.

Preparations done, I cast invisibility on DD, and Greater Teleport us both to the casino. Once there, we find a private spot not directly observed by any living eyes - but I do make sure we're on camera. I then dismiss DD's invisibility. I then direct Debbie to walk to the entrance, pause just outside the magic detector's range, look straight at it, then take one deliberate step into the device's detection zone, and stand patiently, not actually entering the casino.

Yes, we are making it very obvious we know about the detector. And many folks stop to stare for a little while. But most came to the casino to try (and fail) to win big. So DD doesn't make too much of a logjam.

It's not long before a young woman in the casino’s uniform, four foot six, ninety pounds soaking wet, olive skin, brown eyes, black hair in a braid down to her waist, and a gold nametag that says 'Sarah' comes to greet us.

"You’re blocking traffic, and I do believe you are…"

Before she can say "on the banned list," I have my diplomat smile at Sarah as I telepathically message Sarah (which is thanks to a recent buff spell): 《What I have to say is not to be spoken in the hearing of the general public. An acquaintance of mine was recently detained here, not having committed any crimes of which I am aware, and there was some damage during retrieval. I am here to revive the coyote man, fix the door, and discuss a possible alliance.》

"... a bit above my pay grade. Follow me, please."

16