Chapter 31: Making Things
259 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Limo driver takes us back to the casino without a word. Once there, I have the Diplomat drink a potion of water as I Plane Shift her back to my Divine Realm. 

I then Greater Teleport back to my hotel room, and check my email. Lots of junk, and yes, I got the property. I just need to get things notarized and we'll be good to go. The seller's agent even already booked an appointment for me. Handy. I set an alarm for it on my phone, and get a picture of the address from the sky via on online maps site. Also a street view.

No response from the Guardians of Free Will yet. Fine. If they ignore me for too long I'll just start kidnapping and interrogating them en masse. Attuned Mysticism on Planar Binding can get nasty.

I check the news and… ah. I made it. "Lightning strikes fear into criminals" - such a bad title - also an article on a giant masked vigilante that hits crooks on the head with the flat of his sword. As well as a mysterious woman who appears just long enough to point at folks, causing them to fall unconscious in the middle of a crime. Seems Adam and Bobbie are exercising too. Good for them… horribly illegal, for all three of us. I just hope Adam doesn't end up killing any police when they try to arrest him. I pretty much can't get caught, and Bobbie can just Dimension Door away or go invisible. I should probably set Adam up with a few invisibility potions for that.

《Hi Adam,》I send.

《What’s up?》

《I saw your news article.》

《Huh, I haven't written any…》

《You didn’t write it, you were in it. Unless there is some other seven foot tall mountain of muscle with a vanishing sword beating up muggers.》

《Ah, you got me. Are you mad?》

《Nah, I'm doing something similar. But it's not exactly legal, so I was going to drop off a few invisibility potions at your place for when the police manage to catch up with you. Also some healing potions for when you're late to the scene. I'll eventually hook you up with a ring of invisibility and a healing belt.》

《Thanks man!》

Healing belts are actually quite cheap to make: I could get him one by tomorrow. The Ring will take about four days real-time… unless I make it 'cursed' in a way that's tailored for him. Hmm. Might be a good idea anyway, as it also serves as a security precaution if it only works for outsiders. Still, I stop at his place and make a dozen potions each of Invisibility and Cure Serious Wounds. I stick with Amber vials, although these are labeled in English. 

After that, I buy out a few dozen big box stores of their salt supply, and Plane Shift to my Divine Realm. There, I have summoned Dedicated Wights start on a few items. 

For Adam: A Healing Belt, Ring of Invisibility, Boots of Teleportation, a Ring of Chameleon Power (for the Disguise Self aspect), a Keyhome, and two Planar Keystones (one tied to a specific room in the mansion in my Divine Realm, the other to a small park with a lot of trees not too far outside the city). I tailor all of them to him using the deliberately cursed item rules. The user must worship me, have ranks in profession(gambler), and be a non-spellcaster. Additionally, the items only work within ten feet of an Outsider. Adam meets all that, and it's two 10% and two 30% discounts. It's a real-world number and so does not add up to an 80% discount, but it does knock the price tag - and more importantly, the crafting time - down to 39.69% of the norm.

For Bobbie? She can manifest the basics, so she gets a Belt of Battle, Boots of Teleportation, a Keyhome, two Planar Keystones (tied to almost the same spots - an adjacent room, but the same park), and a Ring of Telekinesis. These are likewise tailored to Bobbie: Worship me, ranks in Psicraft, in the hands of a manifester, and within ten feet of an Outsider. Yields the same discount. 

I set Dan and Emily up similarly, as both can heal already.  Disguise Self isn't an Oracle spell, so they each get a Ring of Invisibility, a Ring of Chameleon Power, Boots of Teleportation, a Belt of Battle, two Planar Keystones (again: tied to a unique room in my Divine Realm, and to the same park), and a Keyhome. This gear is also tailored: Ranks in Spellcraft, worship me, in the hands of a Spellcaster, and within ten feet of a humanoid. Yeah, that last restriction doesn't impact security meaningfully. But it does keep the price in line.

Also seven Decanters of Endless Water.  They’ll go inside water tanks.

The Ring of Telekinesis is the most expensive item in the lot, and so controls the time when they're all being made in tandem. But between the security restrictions, the tweak to what a day means in my Divine Realm, and the crafting quickly rule in Pathfinder? It'll all be done in five days real time. It does take me 35 hours to get everything started, though. 

Well, 40. I have to take my milk breaks, after all.

I manage to time things so it's time to meet with the notary for the property transfer shortly after I'm done getting things started. Teleportation really saves time. Getting halfway across the country takes me less time than finding the specific meeting room.

Given that it’s a bare plot of land with no utilities and I don’t need to finance anything, there's not too much paperwork. I still have to sign a dozen documents, though. 

Once it's officially mine, I get to work on construction. I do file a permit, but I am not exactly planning on normal construction. 

I first dig down to bedrock with Move Earth in a 100 foot square. Turns out it's fifty feet down, here. I use Wall of Force to properly cement the sides, and Wall of Stone inside to have something I can shape later. I make floors every ten feet (False Gravity to redefine my down, then Wall of Force for a support and Wall of Stone to have something to work with), not bothering with stairwells (I'll just Teleport). I do leave a five-foot square in each floor that's not covered by the Wall of Force, though: I will want a place I can run wire through, after all.

On the surface, I build a warehouse similarly to how I did the basements,  although this gets 20 foot ceilings at the edge and a slanted roof for the rare instance of rain. Wall of Force lets me cheat on the construction, and I end up without the need for a single interior support column.

Once the main structure is done, I summon Hound Archons, giving them the appropriate skills so they can do the work, while I provide materials.  Lighting we handle via Celestial Brilliance spells on concrete anchors along the walls. Heating and cooling by Wall of Fire for warmth, and Energy Substitution (Cold) Wall of Fire for cold, Gust of Wind to get the air moving, and some simple electronics to regulate air flow paths to keep the entire place at seventy regardless of what the rest of the world is doing.  Power is handled by making a few adamantine Stirling Engines, tying them into the two Walls of Fire for the heat sources and the heat sinks.  The engines then run an electric generator. I install the set in the next to last basement, and stress test it at a hundred amps output on 208 volt three-phase power. Given that I'm really only going to be running data services on it, it produces way, way more power than I need. Heating, cooling, and lighting I’m already handling with other spells, and that’s where most office buildings spend the big bucks on power.  I might want to think about selling power back to the grid.

I run wire (Major Creation is handy) up conduits made by Stone Shape, and provide each floor with a breaker box. I also wire them all, and make a pump on the lowest basement, to push any water that makes it there up and out. Maybe next level I'll replace that with Reverse Gravity in a pipe.  I also run data cables, and set up a wireless mesh network such that each floor is fully covered.  Of course, I still need an internet connection, but that’ll need to be coordinated with the outside world.  Still, I have a ground-floor demark for it.

I go ahead and make sure everything’s up to code - other than the lack of an elevator - even though it’ll probably never get inspected other than the ground floor.  So I have a ceiling grid like you find in office buildings, a fire suppression system, and so on.  I do make a small office space on the ground floor, complete with a bathroom (that’ll probably never be used) and a (probably excessive) septic system.  

I set the roof up for water collection - next time it rains, I’ll have a 10,000 gallon cistern full of water ready to go.  That’s just a decoy, though.  I fully intend to have all my water needs covered by a Decanter of Endless Water left on “geyser” mode.  

I go as far as I can with construction without making it impossible to inspect things. I schedule inspections for everything above ground - also the septic, which is below ground but outside my zone - order a satellite internet connection, and leave Diplomat to handle the paperwork and connection, making sure she has the skills she’ll need.

Magical construction is fast, but not necessarily as fast as I’d like.  It still takes a week to get the place put together.

Of course, that means all my magical gear is done.  

For six of the keyhomes (two of the ones I made originally, one each for Adam, Dan, Bobbie, and Emily), I have summons do the actual work while I make materials.  The construction goes similarly to the “warehouse” - a smaller version of the same generator (heat source and sink handled by Energy Substitution on Maximized Acid Arrow spells on Adamantine plates, rather than Wall of Fire), tanks for water and septic, and basically set them up as small apartments (of the ten 10-foot squares, nine are arranged in a 3x3 grid and used for living space, the last is adjacent to the door and is used for the utility room - power generation, water tank, and so on).  Materials cost is irrelevant, so I do them to the nines with luxury materials.  They’ll need to either run hoses out the front periodically to empty the septic tank - much like one might with a camper - or they’ll need to hook them up to a comparatively permanent set like with a manufactured home… but I set up an exterior rated inner door so they can do that reasonably securely.  Also at the inner door interface I put some power outlets (a three-phase 208 connection, a 230 volt AC, and two 115 volt AC outlets) so they can use power outside the Keyhome, and a network connection so they can hook into the internet if there’s some available.  The water tanks - both for the Keyhomes and for my warehouse - are set up to be filled by the Decanters, which I permanently mount.  I also add some sensors and a speaker - when the water is too low, it’ll play a sound file to turn the decanter on.  When it’s full, another will turn it off.  And there’s a pressure valve that’ll let the water out if that fails, and there’s instructions for turning it on and off by hand as well. No windows in the Keyhomes, of course, but I integrate flat-screen LED TVs into the walls and set them up so that they’ll play videos of a nice outside sunny day (and can be changed, turned on and off, and so on easily).  Interior lighting in the keyhomes I handle with LED light bulbs: Makes them easier to turn on and off.

That construction runs in parallel - and labor is free - so it’s done in a day.  Which means I’m ready to present them to my friends.  So I send them a mental ping asking them to meet up at the park in a few hours.

And I find I finally got a response to my email to The Guardians of Free Will.

14