Chapter 16 – Axe and Flagon
200 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      When Christine and Kai reached the outskirts of Ogden town, they were exhausted.   Christine had found their errant horse - the one that threw her - with its halter tangled in some bushes, about a half mile further towards town.

 

      Thank god we found the horse!  She thought.  Kai’s looking pretty weak - he might not have made it and I can’t drag him.

 

      Kai saw the horse too, and smiled.  “Let me try to mount him, Christine.  If I can ride, we’ll be able to travel easier.”   Kai was still more than a bit wobbly on his feet, but his vision was clearing, and he wasn’t seeing double or triple anymore.

 

      “Okay, Kai - just be careful.  You don’t need to fall again - hitting your head that badly twice in one day is twice too often.”

 

      “To be fair,” Kai said with a small grin.  “The first time I hit my head, someone was swinging a mace at it.  I call that one not my fault.”

     

      “Details, details.”  Christine smirked.  He sounds like He’s going to be okay.  Good.

 

      The rest of the journey was tiring, but relatively easy, and about fifteen minutes later, Kai and Christine arrived at the outskirts of Anvi Marcello’s home.  Some of Anvi’s neighbors were outside doing normal chores and tasks - chopping wood, drawing water, or feeding farm animals such as hogs and chickens.  Others seemed slower to rise.   No one was outside Anvi and Maria(s home.

 

      Christine helped Kai down from the horse carefully, and tied the horse to a hitching post before limping over to Anvi’s door and knocking.  My feet are killing me.  I wish I had my Ugg’s.  Christine thought.  At least they were comfortable and warm - not like these torturous things.   She looked at the handmade leather boots she was wearing.  Ah, who am I kidding?  It’s probably because these were made for Maria, not me - and I’m still wearing them in.  Has it only been two days?

 

      The door opened to reveal Maria, dressed in her nightgown, hair still mussed.   When she saw Christine and Kai, her smile brightened, and she ushered them in.  “Husband, you may have another patient to deal with.”  She said, fussing over Kai’s head wound.  “You should take care of yourself better, young man.”

 

      Kai grimaced as Anvi’s wife patted the two rather large lumps on his head, and simply said “Yes Ma’am.”  He and Christine followed Maria into the kitchen, to see Maeve, nursing what looked like a mug of tea, talking to Anvi.   She looks like hell, Thought Kai.   “You okay, Maeve?”

 

      Maeve shook her head.  “No, not really Kai.  It’ll be a long time before I’m okay again, if ever.”

 

      Anvi looked worried, as did Kai.  I know this last outing of ours was rough - but it must have been rougher than even we’re used to.   Kai looked to Anvi and asked “Is Eric going to be alright?” 

 

 

      “Yes.” Anvi said.  “If you mean, will she heal.  She’ll probably sleep half the day before waking, but she’ll heal - Maeve got her to me in time.  If you’re asking how Eric will adjust to being a young woman - well, no one can answer that except Eric.”  Anvi shooed his wife away from Kai’s injuries, so he could take a look.  “You’ve got some nasty bumps there too, Kai.  You had better come with me - I’d feel much better if I did some healing on you - head wounds can be very tricky things to deal with.”

 

      “That would be great, Anvi - thank you.”  Kai stood up carefully, and left the kitchen with Anvi.   Maria looked at the two women - Christine and Maeve - and said “If you’ll excuse me for a moment, I should get dressed in something a bit more appropriate.  Make yourselves at home.”   Maria saw Maeve nod, and Christine relax sipping some tea she had just poured, and seemed content.

 

      “Thank you again, Maria.”  Christine said.  “I can’t even describe how heavenly this tea tastes after what we’ve been through the last few days.”

 

      “Aye, you’ve all been through a lot.   Take care - I’ll be back shortly.”  Maria left and headed upstairs.

 

      Christine sipped her tea, trying to warm up and calm down.   Maeve looked stricken - the only thing that came close to describing how it looked to Christine, was she had that ‘someone died’ look.   She saw that look once when she lost her fourteen year-old cousin to a drunk driver.  Her Aunt Millicent had come to talk to Christine’s mom, Susan, about the funeral arrangements.  Aunt Millicent had that look.  She’d seen it more than once in her duties as a social worker as well.   Something bad has happened.  Thought Christine.   Something really bad.

 

      Christine thought about asking her.  Maybe it would be better to get it out in the open?   She decided to test the waters... feel out if it was the right time, or not.  “I know you don’t know much about who I am, or what I do for a living Maeve, so I thought I’d tell you.   Back home, we have a group of people whose job it is to help other people get through rough times, and problems they can’t seem to beat on their own.  We facilitate them getting help from government agencies - but a lot of the time, we just talk to them, to try and see if we can help.   Sometimes, having a willing ear can be worth a lot.”   Christine sipped her tea.   “I’m only saying this because you look like you have something on your mind - something bothering you a great deal.   I guess what I’m saying is that if you want to talk, I’ll listen.”

 

      Maeve listened to Christine’s speech, and smirked.  “Here, we call those people priests.”

 

      Christine smirked too.  “Well, back home they’re called Social Workers.  Sometimes they overlap duties with our priests, but since our government tries to keep religion out of the mix, we aren’t really allowed to let our religious feelings show.  Too afraid of offending someone, I guess.”

 

      So strange, Maeve thought.  Their world is so different from ours.  “Why would the government be afraid of offending some people?  If the people want religion in their government, why can they not have it?   Again, your world sounds strange to me.”

 

      “Well, imagine how Eric and I feel here.   Everyone here is very religious compared to people back home - and magic being a thing has made everything here different too - we don’t have magic, and the Void, and all that stuff back home.”

 

      “What about those... what were they?   The fast vehicle that Eric drove into your fence?”

 

      “Cars?”  Christine winced, thinking about the fence.  If I get back home, I have no idea how I’m going to explain how a stolen police car got onto my lawn.  She shuddered a bit, remembering the last time she saw that car - her neighbour Tom Simpson was being devoured by a demon on the car, like it was a deranged and gruesome buffet table.

 

      “Yes - those.  Are they not magical?” 

 

      “Not in the way I think you mean it.   They’re complicated machines - but they run on a motor made of steel and iron, fuelled by refined crude oil.  The oil burns inside the engine, which turns some wheels - and those wheels make the car move forward.  Other levers attached to the controls inside the car allow the driver to steer the car, or speed it up or slow it down - but anyone with the materials and knowledge to do so could make one.  It’s not an inborn talent, like what you seem to have here.”

 

      “So it’s like a pocket-watch, made of gears and cogs - nothing more?”  Maeve looked rather surprised.  “What about the lights that don’t flicker - the ones that burn without fire?”

 

      “A bit more complicated.”  Christine said.  “We learned to harness lightning, and run it through tiny wires to light up rooms.  It can be dangerous to use - but we’ve adapted so much of our life to using it, it seems normal.   Again, it’s not an inborn talent - anyone who chooses to learn it, can.”

 

      Maeve considered all Christine had said for a moment.  “I think your people might have a great deal in common with the artificers of Madragoor.   They love machines and tinkering with cogs and steam, and all manner of artifices.   Interesting.”   She paused a moment.   “The people of Valris - where we are now - live a different lifestyle.  The lands are ruled by the High King and Queen, who are counselled by the heads of the Church.   Church leaders here are virtually nobles in their own right, except that they don’t need to be of noble birth to attain their rank.  A Hierarch of the council, for example, might actually wield more power than a landed Duke, depending on the province and the relative wealth of the church compared to the Dukes lands.”  Maeve paused for some tea herself.  

 

      “We’re content for the most part, to till the soil, worship our gods, and live life as it comes, compared to Madragoor.  Compared to us, they are always busy, with an inordinate fascination with greed that is, I think, their greatest weakness.  They like artifices of all kinds - but eschew the old ways because they think ‘newer is better’ - when sometimes, newer is just... newer.   Valdans tend to honor and respect their traditions, unless a very convincing reason to change them becomes known.  I guess you could say if it was good enough for our forefathers, then it’s good enough for us.” 

 

      Christine realized Maeve had changed the topic - and although it was interesting learning about Mercia and its places, she really wanted to deal with what was bothering Maeve.   “I guess it’s going to take a while for us to really know everything about Mercia.  I was more concerned with you, Maeve.”   She looked at her empty teacup, and thought of refilling it.  When did I even finish that?  She must be more tired than she thought.  “If you want to talk about it, whatever it is, I’m here.”

 

      Maeve considered Christine’s offer.  She does seem willing to listen - and she can’t think any worse of me - she already thinks I was going to kill her and Eric.  Why is she even trying to help me?  Maeve had seen Christine though all of their travails - she supported Eric, tried to be brave and help in battles she wasn’t suited for or trained for - and kept peoples spirits up when they felt bad.  Maybe I’ve just seen too much evil to recognise a truly good person when I first meet them.  Thought Maeve.  Maybe I should change that.     

 

      Maeve looked like she was about to speak, when both she and Christine heard what sounded like Anvi and Kai approaching.   Christine saw Maeve clamp down on whatever she was going to say, and cursed.   Great timing, as usual.  Christine thought.  

     

     

      Anvi and Kai came into the kitchen, and it was plain to see that Kai felt much better.  He wasn’t wobbly on his feet, and he carried himself with his usual assured swagger.  Even the two knots on his head seemed like they were much smaller.  All in all, he looked good.  

 

      “Hello, Serra’s” Kai said.  “Master Anvi has done his usual excellent work, and I feel much better.”

 

      “Well don’t you look chipper.”  Said Christine, smiling.   “I’m glad to see you walking and not ready to fall down.”

 

      “Same here.”  Maeve said.   “I was worried I’d gotten you in over your head, Kai.  I’m sorry.”  Maeve’s look of concern was apparent.

 

      Anvi poured himself a cup of tea, and sat down, and smiled at his wife, Maria, who just came back down from getting dressed.  She looked much less bedraggled in her green woolen dress, and brushed hair than before, when Maeve had woken her in the early hours of the morning.   Maria and Anvi shared a kiss, and Maria poured herself a cup of tea as well - and offered to refresh Christine’s and Maeve’s cups.

 

      “I’ve heard the short version of your tale, Maeve.”  Anvi said.  (Why don’t you and Kai, and Christine pull up a chair and tell me the whole thing.  It’ll be a few hours before Eric is up and about, at the very least.  What did you get yourself into this time?”

 

      Kai laughed.  “Well, it began for me about three weeks ago in the woods around Wethom...  Maeve came to visit from Arathel, and said she needed my help getting to the backwoods of Orvan province, some little place called the House of Broken Dreams.   It would be easy, she said - quickly in, quickly out.   As you can see, it didn’t exactly go according to plan...”

 

*          *          *

     

      A few hours later, the tale of their recent adventure told, Anvi and Maria shook their heads in disbelief.  “Only you could put so many people in danger so quickly, and see them out of danger just as quickly, Maeve Varda.”   Maria said.   “I don’t know how many lives you are blessed with, but you surely used a few these past few days!”

 

      “I suppose I have, at that Maria.  I’m just glad we all survived... Although I don’t know how Eric survived, except by the grace of the Goddess herself.   I can’t explain it - I’m just glad he... she’s still here.”  As troubled as Maeve was at the moment, that was one thing that did make her feel better.  At least she’s not dead.   Survive first - everything else comes later.  Advice I guess I could use myself.  Oh Nile!

 

      “Excuse me.”  Maeve said “I need some air.”   Maeve rose from the table, and made her way outside, apparently to get some air.

 

      As Maeve got up from the table, Christine realized this might be her chance to talk to Maeve.  “Maybe I should go see if Maeve’s alright.  I’ll be back in a moment.”

 

      Kai nodded.  “Be careful Christine.  Something’s bothering her badly.”

 

 

      Christine went to the front hall, and put her boots back on - they had dried and were stiff and difficult to get on, but she managed.  At least they were warmer, now that they were dry again, she thought.   She went outside, and couldn’t see Maeve, until she went to the woodshed.  Maeve was huddled on the ground, her knees clasped in her arms, and she was crying - heavy, powerful sobs of grief.

 

      Christine didn’t say anything.  She just sat down next to Maeve, and put her arm over her shoulder.  They sat there for some time, while Maeve cried and cried.  Time passed.   Maeve finally sniffled a bit, wiped her runny nose on a hastily produced handkerchief, and said “Thanks.”

 

      “I don’t know what’s got you so upset, Maeve, but I can’t help you if you won’t talk about it.”  Christine said, trying to help Maeve find an opening - give her the opportunity to let it out.  It worked.

 

      “Four years ago... four years ago, I was targeted for assassination by the Hserinyar - the same bastards that Vargas served.”   Maeve steeled herself - but she knew if she didn’t say it, she never would, and it would eat at her - and eventually kill her.  “When the assassin came, I... I used my little brother as a human shield.  He died, and I lived - and I wish it was the other way around.   I didn’t think about it - there wasn’t time... It was just gut reflex and reaction, but it doesn’t matter.  My beautiful brother Nile is dead because of me.  I don’t deserve to live.  Eric reminds me so much of him, if he had time to grow up - and Eric nearly died too.”

 

      Christine quieted a gasp at Maeve’s admission - it definitely would not have helped the situation.  She knew a few veterans who had similar feelings - they were hip deep in trouble, with stress and adrenaline pumping through their system better than any designer drug could ever hope to do - and they reacted, without pausing and without thinking.   Sometimes they regretted what they did when they reacted - like Maeve was now.  I can’t believe she’d consciously do that to her brother.   “But Eric didn’t die, Maeve.  Sure, He’s a little different now...”  They both laughed a bit at that.  “But he’s alive.   And if you truly were the evil person you say you are, would you really be so broken up about losing your brother in that tragic attack?   I don’t think so.”

 

      Maeve tried to interject, saying “But...”

 

      “No - don’t interrupt.  I’ve seen a lot of people, Maeve, as part of my work.  Some are the kindest people whom you’d ever want to meet - and some are the worst scum you’d ever have the misfortune of meeting.   I’m not talking about killers and murderers - I’m talking about selfish, petty people who think nothing of using other people to their advantage, without a thought to the effects or consequences of their actions.   They care nothing for anyone else on the Earth except themselves, their desires, and their needs.  Everything around them is either a tool to use and take advantage of, or something to ignore.  They blame everyone else for their problems, and nothing is ever their fault.   They take responsibility for nothing, and destroy everyone else around them.    You aren’t like them, Maeve.  Do you understand me?  You.  Aren’t.  Like.  Them.   Just by the fact that your guilt is tearing you apart, shows me you’re a decent human being.   I believe you didn’t mean to do it.  I really do.   You just need to forgive yourself - if you can.”

 

      “I...”  Maeve was choked up with emotion.  She didn’t know what to say.  Christine had every reason to hate her - and here she was, telling me how it wasn’t Maeve’s fault.   “I don’t know if I can, yet - but thank you, Christine.  You’re a really good person.”

 

      Christine laughed a little.  “Thanks, Maeve.  Could you let my boss know when I get back?  I could use the raise at work...”   That made both of them laugh.

 

      Christine stood up, and brushed the snow and such off her pants.  “I’m gonna go inside, and see if Eric’s awake yet.  I’ll see you when you come in.”

 

      Maeve looked up and nodded, sniffing.  “Thanks.”

     

*          *          *

 

      Inside, Eric was stirring.  Ouch!  My frikking head is killing me!  Eric thought.   Where the hell am I?   He opened his eyes and saw it was a small bedroom that smelled of pine, and a hint of lavender or some other similar floral scent.  Sun was pouring in some old-fashioned glass windows, and he was on a bed piled liberally with heavy sheets and blankets.   He could hear people talking downstairs - he thought he heard what sounded like Kai’s voice.  Eric felt a bit sore from his magical exertions, and his head troubled him - it felt like before, when he had the voices, but different somehow.  Not like the demons - but like something else.   I feel safe - where ever I am.   Eric rested a moment, before she remembered what happened in the last minutes of consciousness.  Maeve!  The demon said she killed her brother and wanted to die!   I have to tell her what Seleni said!

 

      Eric moved the heavy blankets off of himself with some effort.  Gah!  He thought.  My new arms look like matchsticks.  Seriously, I feel like I’ve got no strength at all.   Finally able to get up, Eric moved towards the door to his bedroom, when he passed in front of a full-length mirror, and saw himself - the new him - for the first time.  He caught his breath in shock.   Holy shit!  I’m beautiful!   He let his eyes wander, and gave him... herself a good look. 

 

      She was maybe five foot six, with long red hair that framed her face nicely.  Her face was oval in shape, with high cheek bones, and attractive features.  Her eyes were bright green, like jade.  She had a smooth arching neck - and as her eyes fell below her neck she saw she had other feminine endowments under her shift - she couldn’t tell how ample, but it was enough to show, even as emaciated as she was.  Her build was average - neither tall nor short, heavy boned or built like a bird, she supposed - with the exception that she was so damn skinny.  Damn!  I’m not even attractive skinny, like a pretty model - but sickly skinny, like those models people are trying to ban back home.  And I’m still beautiful despite all that.  Eric realized she was probably exaggerating more than a little, but it was a drastic change from what she was used to.  Before ending up in the Dreamer, Eric had been six feet tall and 290 pounds, with a broad-shouldered build.  Now, she felt like a fragile, ethereal pixie that would blow away in a stiff wind.   I’m not even sure I’d break 100-110 pounds as I am now, she thought.  Wow.  After seeing himself in the mirror, it was hard to think of himself as ... as a him anymore.   I’m a girl.  She thought.  Wow...  Eric had wanted this for so long, she didn’t know what to do about it.  Should she cheer?  Jump for joy?  Pretend to be upset?   Yeah, like I’ll be able to pull that off... Not around Christine anyway.  Christine had always been able to read her pretty good.  I can’t go home like this... No one would recognize me.  I wouldn’t even legally be a person!   What do I do?  Perhaps I should have been a little more careful about what I wished for.  Eric thought.  Now I’ve got it, and there’s no going back.  She stared for a few more minutes, trying to take all the changes in, then remembered her original goal, and left to find Maeve. 

 

      Eric followed the sound of voices down a hall to a set of wooden stairs.  The rooms she passed were neat and tidy, and there were little rustic touches of home everywhere, from tiny carved figurines on the shelves, to small vases with dried wildflowers, to hand-made furniture carved with elaborate designs.  One room seemed to have a partially woven rug on a small loom, not yet finished.   Moving down the stairs, Eric recognized the other voices she heard.  Its Anvi and Maria!  They must have brought me here, after I blacked out.

 

      She shuffled down the stairs, and towards the kitchen, but was met halfway by Maria.  “Well, look who’s awake.  How are you doing, Eric?”   Kai’s chair scraped across the floor as he came to say hello as well.  She could hear the others - Christine, Maeve - coming as well.

           

      “Hey sleeping beauty!  You’re up!”  Christine said. 

 

      “Ha ha.”  Eric joked.   “I’m not bad Maria...  My head hurts a lot - I’m a bit confused.  It’s weird.”   Eric moved towards Maria and Kai.  “Could I get something to eat?”

 

      Maria laughed.  “Of course.  I’ll get you some soup.  Kai, for the Twin’s sake, get out of her way so she can sit down...”   Kai bashfully stepped aside.

 

      Anvi rose, and came over as Eric entered the kitchen.  He asked “May I?” making motions like he would like to examine her eyes.   Eric nodded, and Anvi gave a good look.   “I don’t see any haemorrhaging - I think most of the damage is minor, if there’s any at all.   Maeve should look you over later.”

 

      “Maeve?”  Eric called.

 

      “I’m here, Eric.  What’s wrong?”  Maeve pulled a chair out for Eric at the table.  

 

      “I heard what the demon said.”  Eric said, seeing Maeve’s friendly expression go flat in an instant.  “And I wanted to talk to you about it.”   This isn’t going well.  She thought.

 

      “I... I really don’t want to talk about it, Eric.”   Maeve looked away, trying to hide her expression from him.  It was plain she was upset.

 

      “It’s important...  When I... when I died I saw this young woman, with black hair wearing a green dress, with a bow and a ring of weird glass keys, like I described to you before - and she said that ‘You may have given up on them - but the gods haven’t given up on you.’  She said to tell you that you were forgiven.  I didn’t know what that meant, until I heard the Demon at the end.”

 

      Maeve didn’t know what to say...  Tears welled up in her eyes, uncontrolled, and poured down her cheeks.  She gathered Eric into a powerful hug, and just held her.   It went on for some time, until she broke the hug, and wiped the tears from her face.  “Thank you, Eric.  I don’t know that I deserve it, but thank you for telling me.”  And thank you, Goddess.  I don’t deserve your grace, but I will strive to be worthy of it again.

     

      “Enough with the hugging.”  Maria said, holding out a heavy bowl of soup.  “You’re practically skin and bones, girl.  You need to eat something.  Come, eat.”   She sounded so much like the stereotypical Jewish mother that Christine couldn’t help but chuckle.  

 

*          *          *

 

      Two hours later, the group of friends left the Marcello residence, to head to Ogden town.  Maeve’s argument was that she and her troubles had inconvenienced Anvi and Maria enough, and they would instead leave their gracious hosts to a peaceful night, while they headed to an inn in Ogden town.   Anvi was incensed that Maeve initially turned down his hospitality - but even he could see that his small cottage home didn’t have room for all four of them overnight.   Maria was gracious as well, but even she seemed a bit relieved when the four travellers left and headed for town.

 

      “I think it was really nice of Anvi and his wife to let us keep these amulets for a while.” Christine said.  “How long can we keep them?”  

 

 

      “No later than the middle of Allgreen - about a month and a half.”  Maeve said.

 

      “Is Allgreen the actual name of a month, or is it a flowery way of saying ‘until spring’?”

 

      Maeve groaned.  This is going to turn into one of those gigantic explanations.  She thought.  “It’s the name of a month.  Please, can we just get to the inn?”

 

      “Okay.”  Said Eric.

 

      The Inn turned out to be a two story building in Ogden town, with a field stone base and a timber second floor, with a thatched roof.   The establishment was marked with a wooden sign Kai and Maeve claimed read ‘The Axe and Flagon’.   Inside, the building proved to be fairly clean - there were rushes and straw scattered about on the floor, and several lamps to provide light.   A taproom was off to one side, with a few customers enjoying its offerings, while a wide stairway provided access to the upper floor to the left of the front desk.   To the left of that, they could smell, if not see, the kitchens.  

 

      A neatly dressed woman of about 40 sat behind a counter, which had several hooks, each with a key dangling from it.   She looked up, and greeted them kindly.  “Welcome to the Axe and Flagon!  My name is Lauren Whittle.  Will you be wanting a room, Ser and Serras, or perhaps more than one room?”

 

      “Do you have a room that sleeps four, Serra Whittle?”  Maeve asked.

 

      “No, Serra, unless you and your friends would like the common room.  A place by the hearth is very affordable.”

 

      “We would prefer privacy.”

 

      “I have two rooms, each with two beds available.  Would they do?”  Lauren looked at the keys available on the board behind her.  “You could get two rooms across the hall from each other, or beside each other.  We’ve not got a lot of people staying at the moment, so you can take your pick.”

 

      “I think across from each other would be fine, unless the ones beside each other have a connecting door.  If you have that, it would be my choice.”  

 

      “I’m sorry, but no...  Across the hall it is then.  Here’s your keys.”  Lauren said.  “The fee is five crescents a day, per room.  It includes breakfast in the morning, and dinner this evening.  Any drinks from the taproom are extra.”

 

      “That will be fine.”  Maeve took the keys, and turned to Kai.  “Kai, why don’t you give me your pack and I’ll take it up to our room.  Take Christine to the taproom and order dinner - I have to examine Eric.”

 

      “Sure thing, Maeve.  No bogroot, right?”  Kai asked, handing Maeve his pack, and Eric, Christine’s pack.  Eric nearly crumpled under the weight.  

 

      “Hey what?  Examine me?”  Eric said from underneath Christine’s pack.  “Didn’t Anvi already do that?”

 

      “Damn right.”  Maeve said to Kai.  “I can’t stand that stuff.”  Turning to Eric Maeve continued “I need to see if you’re okay.  In the head okay.  Magic okay.”

 

      “Okay.” said Eric.  “If it’s important, then let’s go.”   Eric didn’t know what could be wrong, but she was still new to magic.  If Maeve was going to be her teacher, she’d better start following the rules.

 

      “Will you be long?”  Asked Kai.

     

      “Hope not.”  Maeve answered.  “Order me a flagon or two.  It’s been that kind of week.”

     

*          *          *

 

      Christine and Kai found a booth across the taproom, fairly quiet and private far from the hearth.  It was a bit dark, but the light from a storm lamp was sufficient to see.   Christine could see about a half-dozen people drinking and talking at various tables.  Two were playing a dice game with strange looking dice.  They kind of look like some Dungeons and Dragons dice.  She had never played the game, but saw the dice more than once at college and thought they were interesting.  She had wondered at the time what exactly they were used for, but wasn’t interested at the time in becoming a social pariah to find out.

 

      Kai raised his hand and a barmaid hustled over.   She introduced herself as Shelley, and soon Kai had ordered four dinners (with no bogroot) and four flagons of local beer.  

 

      “I’m not sure I want to drink, Kai.  Can’t we get fruit juice or water or tea?”   Christine asked.  “And what’s bogroot?”

 

      “Well, the water might not be safe to drink, and fruit juice is too expensive in the winter.  I suppose if you’d like we could get tea if you like, but I thought the beer would help fill you up and keep you going.  If you prefer, I could order some hard cider?”

 

      Oh right...  We’re PH... Pre Hygiene.  Everyone drank beer because the water was bad.  Duh.   “Well, when in Rome.”  She said.   “Uh... it’s a saying from back home.  I know we’re not in Rome.  It means I guess I’ll have the beer.”

 

      “Alright.”  Kai chuckled.  “What does it really mean?”

 

      “Well the full quote goes something like when in Rome, do as the Romans do.  It means when you’re in a foreign country, follow the local customs.”

 

      “Good advice.  Oh, and bogroot is an edible tuber, like a carrot or a potato, that grows near marshy ground.  It has a strong flavor, which some like and some dislike.  Maeve is in the ‘put that on my plate and I’ll kill you’ camp.”

 

      Christine couldn’t help but laugh at that.  “Gotcha.”  Sort of like me and lima beans.  She thought.  I can’t stand how they always taste sandy and gritty, no matter how you cook the things.

     

*          *          *

 

      Maeve and Eric climbed the stairs to the second floor and found their rooms.  They were cramped, by Eric’s modern standards, but Maeve thought they were decent and serviceable.  She tossed her pack and Kai’s into her room, and locked the door, and followed Eric into her room, closing the door behind her.

           

      Eric in the meantime, claimed a bed by the window, and put Christine’s pack on the other bed.  The beds were wood-framed, and the mattresses where straw-filled.  There was a feather pillow on each bed, and each bed(s headboard had a sprig of pungent herbs Eric couldn’t identify dangling from a small hook.   A small table was between the two beds; on it was a candle and a glass shield, to protect the flame from being blown out.   A wash basin was under the table, and a pitcher to hold water was beside it.  In the corner, Eric thought she saw something that was probably a chamber-pot.  

 

      Maeve waited until Eric put her packs down, and sat on what she assumed was Christine’s bed.   “When I said I needed to examine you, Eric, I didn’t mean medically.   Why don’t you sit - this will probably be a bit of a learning experience for you, and it might be easier to be sitting.”

 

      “Umm.  Okay.”

 

      “Do you remember the night you and Christine met Kai, and I told you some things about the nature of magic - the Call of Hrask?”  Maeve asked.

 

      “Yeah.”  Eric said, a little worried.   “Am I in trouble?  My head has been feeling weird.  Am I okay?”

 

      “Probably.  I’d like to guide you, to help you check for yourself if you’re okay or not.  Do you remember when I said everyone’s threshold is different?   Well, we need to see if you went over yours when you did... whatever you did... to the demon.”

 

      “Okay.  What do I do?”

 

      Maeve guided Eric to lay down on her bed.  “Lay down, and listen to my voice - focus on it.  This is a form of meditation.  As you get more skilled, you will be able to dispense with the quiet room, the dark, the concentration, and monitor yourself in more stressful and active conditions, but for now, just relax.”

 

      “Imagine your mind as an empty room.  The room is dark, but comfortable - you’ve been in it many times.  Slowly imagine yourself filling the room with things - a bed, a chair, a lamp.  It’s your comfort place.   Somewhere in this room is a container where you keep your treasures - your precious things.  Find that container, and just look at it for a while - learn its contours, its shape and heft - even its smell, if it has one.  These are your wants - and they are very important.”  Maeve’s voice was almost hypnotic, and Eric found it easy to imagine what Maeve was suggesting. 

 

      “I see it.”  Eric said; she could - it was her room back home in Toronto, before her... his mother died.  It was a place he used to feel safe.  He hadn’t seen it in a very long time.   There was a box - an old cardboard box his mother Laura had given him.  He kept his treasures in it - at the time the treasures were childish things, like bits of colored string, small comic strips from the newspaper, notes from friends or small toys - small things, but they were his.   He remembered the box too - it was a thick cardboard box with a paper hinge, covered with paintings of Calvin and Hobbes, topped with superhero stickers and drawings in pen - something you’d buy for a child at a stationary store, to store pencils or other things inside.  

 

 

      Maeve saw that Eric had relaxed and found her special place, and continued speaking.  “The magic of a sorcerer comes from Hrask, the Father of all Dragons - and it is the nature of Dragons to covet.  They lust for power, for wealth, for food - but most of all, for MORE.  More of anything, and everything.  They are selfish, prideful, greedy and arrogant.  The test we’re doing is to see if those feelings - of pride, greed, arrogance - have begun to overtake you.”  Maeve paused, to see how Eric was doing.  She looks okay.  Time to see if she actually is okay.   “Now imagine I’m in your safe room, just visiting.  Can you imagine that?”  

 

      “Yeah.  It’s a bit weird, but I think I can see it.”

 

      “I come over to see what’s in your special box.  What are you feeling?”

 

      Eric tried to imagine what she was feeling.  “I... I don’t want to show you.  Its private.”   Eric felt upset - and vulnerable.  She didn’t want Maeve to see them - they were hers.

 

      “Why not Eric?”  Maeve said, extending her senses to Erics with the Sight, letting her arcane power help monitor and assess Eric’s state.  “You’re only going to show them to me, right - not give them to me.  Are you afraid I’ll take them?”

 

      “I... don’t want to show you.  I... I kinda am.  Afraid you’ll take them.”  Eric was kinda scared now too.  Why am I feeling this way?  Maeve is my friend - and she wouldn’t steal from me...   But then a small voice inside him said  *Why not?  She took your gun...*  It didn’t exactly SAY it - not like the demons said things... it kind of bubbled up from inside her.  *Maybe she wants them for herself.  She wants them for herself Eric.  She’s a thief.*   “I’m... I’m scared Maeve.  I feel like you’re going to take my stuff, and I’m kinda mad and angry and... I want to hit you before you can.”

 

      Maeve nodded.  She could see the Call roiling in Eric’s mind.  “When you did that magic, to the demon, you over-extended yourself - not too much, but enough.  You have a high threshold - higher than most apprentices have before they complete their training - but you caused yourself some damage.”  Maeve ended her Sight, and spoke a word, ending the trance state on Eric, who rubbed her eyes and sat up.

 

      “Will I be okay?”

 

      She looks pretty worried.  Good.  “Yes, you will - but you came close.  What you’re experiencing is a very light touch of the Call of Hrask.  It will probably leave you feeling off-kilter for about a week or so, then pass - as long as you don’t do... whatever you did... again, at least until you have a great deal more training.   Part of your training will be learning to do this meditation every day until it becomes second nature.  If you don’t learn how to control this, the Call of Hrask will eventually control you, and you will cease to be Eric - and become one of the Fallen.”

 

      “Is there anything I can do to make it go away sooner?  I was kind of getting used to not hearing voices in my head.”

 

      “Not really, Eric.   In fact, we should probably not start any magical tutoring - beyond the meditation we just did - until I get back from Arathel, after I report to the council.   You and Christine will be safe with Kai until then.”

 

      “We’re not going with you?”  Eric asked.

 

      “Not this time.  Arathel is a big city - well, big for our world - maybe not compared to your Toronto.  It would be too difficult to keep an eye on you both in such a big city - and there’s too much trouble you could get into.  Kai has a hunting cabin near the town of Wethom.  I was thinking of sending you and Christine there to rest and learn our customs and language from Kai until I got back.”

     

      Maeve paused.  “You know, Eric - you weren’t the only one who saw something, when we had that vision.  I saw you as a child, in front of a mirror.”

 

      Eric blushed - and looked about to say something, but Maeve interrupted.  “I won’t say any more, Eric.  I just want to know if you’re happy now.  If you’re going to be okay?”

 

      She knows.  He thought.  She knows, and she doesn’t care.   “Yeah.  Yeah, I think I am - and I think I will be.”  Eric said.  “Thanks Maeve.”

 

      Maeve nodded.  “Now, I think it’s time to head downstairs for dinner - and a drink.”  Plus, there’s something not right about this whole thing, Maeve thought.  And I’d like to keep you and Christine away from Arathel until I figure out what exactly that is...

 

      Eric rose to go with Maeve, and she locked the door behind them before giving Eric the key, then headed downstairs.  Eric followed, her stomach rumbling.

 

*          *          *

 

      In the taproom, Christine had eaten about half her dinner, and was surprised at the quantity of food.  She and Kai had been given trenchers - wooden plates - of a kind of stew, with peas, carrots and some other vegetables she couldn’t quite identify, along with a wedge of a white hard cheese and two pieces of almost-stale bread, which Kai had told her was to soak up the juices from the stew.   The beer was a smoky brew with a hint of malt flavor - odd to her taste, considering she was used to Molson Golden and Labatt’s Blue, from her college days.  Odd, but not bad. She thought.   Kai had even gone over to the bar and brought back some salted ballnuts for her and Eric to try.  They tasted surprisingly good - kind of like salted cashews and peanuts mixed together.   And yet another obscene pile of money if we can take these ballnuts back with us.  Kai says they grow everywhere here - they’re virtually free.

 

      Eric and Maeve came down from upstairs - finally - and came to their table to eat.  Christine noticed more than a few heads turned to watch the two women - and most of the heads seemed to be looking at Eric, not Maeve.  Uh-oh.  She thought.  Am I really going to have to have ‘The Talk’ with my best friends BROTHER?   Oh my God.

 

      Maeve slid into the booth, and took a long drink of the malt beer.  Eric slid in beside her and said  “Hey.  How’s dinner?”

 

      “Getting cold.”  Kai said.  “Why don’t you grab some while its hot.”

 

      “Kay.”  Eric quipped, and started shovelling the stew or pottage, or whatever it was in.  There were spoons, but no forks.  When she looked to see how most other people were eating it, she noticed they seemed to be eating it with the bread, or using it to wipe the bowl afterwards.   That makes sense I guess.  She thought.  

 

      The four ate in quiet, too tired and hungry to talk a great deal until the worst of their hunger was satiated.   Maeve picked up the conversation.  “I was thinking we leave tomorrow morning, using our borrowed horses if Sir Andred doesn’t confiscate them by then, and heading to Wethom.   I figure you can all lay low at Kai’s cabin until I get back from Arathel.  Does that sound okay, Kai?”

 

      Kai nodded.  “Sure.  I’ll need to set my traplines, and probably fix a few shingles, get some wood cut.  Some company would be nice for a bit.   And I’ve got the room - my cabin can hold four or five people if needed.”  Kai boasted.  “I figured I might need the space someday. Guess I was right.”

 

      Eric and Christine listened, carefully.  Christine looked like she was going to pipe in, but Eric motioned for her to wait. 

 

      “Good.  While you’re getting squared away, start trying to teach Eric and Christine how to speak our language without the translation amulets - I still have to give those back to Anvi in a few months.”  When Kai nodded she continued.   “I’ll head to Arathel and report to the Council.  I’ll make sure on picking up both our pays, and then assuming nothing goes south, I’ll head back and we’ll start Eric’s magic lessons.”

 

      Christine couldn’t keep her curiosity contained any longer.  “How long do you think it will take - I mean, to go to Arathel, come back, and teach Eric what to do to get us home?”   Christine noticed Eric looked curious about it too.

 

      Maeve looked at Christine, and told her plainly.  “You’d better get used to the idea that you’ll be here a while, Christine.  I’m going to be at least two weeks - maybe three - going to Arathel and back, and after that it will be at least - at least - three to six months before Eric is trained enough to do basic magic safely.  And travelling through the Void is anything but simple or basic.  It could be as much as years, Christine.  Months at the very least - definitely not weeks or days.   It’s just the way it is.”

 

      Eric wasn’t too perturbed by the timeframe Maeve gave...  After all, when he used to live on the street, time didn’t mean too much anyway.   And since I’m not even a person now, back home at least, who the hell cares when, or even if I come back?   The only person other than Christine, would be Angie.   Eric felt a bit ill when he thought of how much his sister would worry about him - considering the circumstances in which he left Earth.   I wonder if there will be a manhunt?   I wonder if someone put videos of the demon on You-Tube?  That would be just fucking wonderful, he thought sarcastically.  Bad enough it happened, but to have people rate what happened at the clinic with likes and dislikes would be just too damn wrong, in every way.  

 

      Christine was considerably more bothered.  My house... My job!  Shit!  If I get back I might be homeless and jobless - hell, Eric and I might be considered as dead.  Wouldn’t that be fucking wonderful, having to prove I’m alive after all.   I can just see the police now: Oh, welcome back Miss Vallan.  Would you mind telling us where you’ve been for the last five months since a sword-wielding maniac and your best friends brother killed some people and stole a police car, and drove it to your house?  Oh yeah, that would go well.   “I’m screwed.”  She said.  “Totally, utterly screwed.” 

 

      “I’m sorry, Christine.”  Eric said.

 

      “I know, Eric.  I understand, but it doesn’t stop me from being completely, totally screwed.  At best I lose my job - which means unless I find work fast, I lose my house too.   Worst case, if we get back we get locked up as criminals or terrorists.  Best case is I lose everything and start over.”

 

      Eric looked ashamed, and just hung her head, saying nothing.

 

      “At least you’re alive.”  Said Kai.  “And you’ve seen things no one else other than Eric has seen on your entire world.   That should count for something.”

 

 

      “It does.”  Said Christine.  “It does. It’s just hard coming to grips with the concept that I’m going to lose almost everything I used to think was important.   I know it’s important I’m alive - and hey, we were trying to save the world, in our own way, right?   I just wish it didn’t have to ruin my life back home while doing it, is all.”

 

      “I’ll try to get us back as soon as I can, Christine.”  Eric said.  “I promise.”

 

      “I know.”

 

      Kai tried to stifle a yawn at that point, and couldn’t.  And like yawns everywhere, it was viral and contagious - soon everyone at the table was yawning.   “Perhaps we should get some sleep.  It’s a three-day ride to Wethom - or almost five days if we have to walk.”

 

      “I think Eric has had enough beer for one night as well.”  Maeve remarked.  “You did well finishing your flagon, but you don’t have the tolerance to drink so much so quickly, at least yet.”

 

      “Hey!” said Eric.  “That flagon was a pint, not one of the bottles back home.  I’ve never even had a beer before tonight.”

 

      Christine goggled.  “Oh my god!  You haven’t?”

 

      “Nope.  When I was on the street the voices told me it was poison, and before I was on the street, I was below legal age.  I had some wine once or twice at the holidays, and that’s it.”

 

      Maeve laughed.  “So our Eric is a lightweight?   Maybe we better help her upstairs Kai.”

 

      “I can stand.”  Eric said indignantly - and promptly staggered out of the booth, unsteady on her feet.  Whoa!  She thought.   Is this what tipsy feels like? 

 

      “I can see that.”  Said Kai.  “Can you stand with a little less wobbling?”

 

      “I... I’m not sure.”  Eric blushed, looking more than a little embarrassed and vulnerable.

 

      Christine came to her rescue.  “I’ll help her upstairs.  C’mon Eric, before I fall down too.” With that, Eric and Christine headed upstairs to their room.

           

      Kai and Maeve looked at each other, wordlessly sharing the same worries.  Kai put them to voice first.  “Christine is going to be a problem isn’t she.  She might not be able to adjust to living here - and you’re worried she’ll rush Eric into trying to take her home?”

 

      “Pretty much, yeah.”

 

      “I’ll work on her while you’re gone.  See if I can get her feeling more at home.  It would be best for everyone, especially her.   I mean, from what you’ve told me before, there’s a really good chance Eric will never be able to get them both home - that they’ll either get lost in the Void, or his powers won’t be sufficient to get them there safely.  Am I right?”

 

      “Unfortunately, yes.  I have a sinking feeling about how she’s going to react in a few months when Eric doesn’t miraculously whisk her home.  And you can be sure I’m going to ram how fucking dangerous travelling the Void can be, if he doesn’t remember from actually being there.  The only reason I think he can even get them back home is that he was able to go to the Void and back once before - without any  training at all - and was able to bring both Christine and myself with him when we came back to Mercia.”

 

      “Hrmmm.”  Kai didn’t know what to say.  At least there’s a chance, right?  He thought.  Better than nothing.

 

      “You know, I am surprised about one thing.”  Maeve said smirking slyly and giving Kai a wink, wink.  “I thought Eric was going to ask you for some help getting upstairs for a moment...”

 

      Kai raised an eyebrow, and gave Maeve ‘the look’.  “Don’t jest about such thing, Maeve.  Eric has been through too much.”

 

      “Who was jesting?  I think she likes you.”  Maeve said, taking a last swig of her beer. 

 

      She left Kai sitting thoughtfully at the table.

 

*          *          *

 

      Eric and Christine staggered up the stairs towards their room with some difficulty.  Eric was having trouble keeping her feet due to the beer, and Christine was having trouble due to having to nearly carry Eric.  The two stumbled into their hotel room, and closed the door behind them.  Eric sat on her bed, while Christine sat on hers, and pulled off her boots.

 

      “My poor feet!”  Christine complained.  “They feel raw.”

 

      Eric winced - she could see at least two blisters, and possibly a few more thinking about starting.  Since awakening in the Dreamer’s body she hadn’t had to walk much - her feet felt fine - but she was shivering more than a little from the chill.   “I’m sorry about your feet, Christine.   I’m... I’m sorry about bringing you here.   I should have thought first.   I... sorry.”   It was when tears started running down her cheeks she realized she was crying.  I’ve ruined her life.  Eric thought.  It’s all my fault.  I didn’t mean to hurt her.

 

      Christine heard the concern and regret in Eric’s voice, and saw she was crying.  Dammit, I want to be mad - I AM mad - but where the hell could he have gone?   The Cops?   She sighed.  “Eric, I realize you had to go somewhere - you were frightened and in an impossible situation.   I’m mad my life has been turned upside down - and I’m mad everything I’ve worked for is going to be pissed down the toilet...  I’m mad I might never see a frigging flush-toilet again!  But I’m also kinda honored that when you were in that much trouble, you thought I could help you.   I’m glad I’m alive - even if we are in a fucked up medieval fantasy-land with swords and magic and monsters and stuff.  I’m glad you’re still alive, even if you’re a girl now, cause frankly with all the people that have been trying to kill us, we should be dead.  Like maybe five or six times dead.”

 

      Christine paused.  “I am angry, Eric.  It’ll pass, I guess - in time.  I’m just kinda pissed right now.   I’m not one of those people who ever wanted to live in the past, like the ren-faire or SCA guys.  I like my HBO and internet and Rock music.  I like modern stuff like hygiene and refrigeration, cars and airplanes.  I... I just never expected to be in a situation like this, and I’m having a hard time dealing with it.  How about you?  How are you dealing with... with you?”

 

      Eric wiped away a few tears.  She’s trying to change the subject, she thought.   “I guess I’m okay.  I’m alive.   I miss my leather jacket - and I feel so small and weak it’s not funny.  I feel like I could blow away in a strong wind.   I... I don’t know how I’m dealing.  I guess okay.  I guess this is going to take a lot of getting used to, huh.”

 

      “What?  Being a girl?  You have no idea.  You could stick around and do that ritual thingy that Maeve was telling us about and go back to being a guy.”

 

      “Maybe - but would I have to convert to her religion first?   At least if I can get us home, you’ll still be a legal person.  No matter if I’m a girl or a guy, no one will believe I am who I say I am - except maybe Angie.  I’ll be an illegal alien with no ID.”

 

      “Oh crap.”  Here I’ve been going on about poor me, poor me.  Eric’s lost his whole identity.  That’s pretty screwed up.  “I guess I have been pretty heavy on the pity party.  Sorry.”

 

      “It’s okay.  I screwed up by getting you involved in all this.   I just wanted to let you know you’re not the only one who’s life is screwed up, big time.”

 

      “Fair enough.  We should get to bed.”   Christine stretched.  “As mad as I am, I’m more tired than anything else right now.  And I’m NOT looking forward to three more days on those horses - but it’ll still be better than five days on these feet.  “Remind me to ask Maeve for more healing balm in the morning.”

 

      “Deal!”  Eric smiled.  

 

      The two of them got ready for bed, stripping out of wet clothes and into nightgowns found for them by Maria and Maeve.  Christine’s was a light green wool, and Eric’s was a dark blue cotton with white trim.  They snuffed out the light, and settled down to bed.

 

      “I suppose I should think about a new name, for the time being, huh?  It might seem less weird.”  Eric said, as they tried to head off to sleep.  “What do you think?”

 

      “I think you should do whatever makes you feel better, Eric.  If you think a new name is better, fair enough.   It might take time for me to remember it - but if you want to go with a new name, I’ll try.   At least until you figure out what you’re doing.”

 

      “Kay.”  Eric answered.  “Thanks.”

 

      “No problem-o.”   Christine said it like the scene in Terminator 2...  It got a chuckle from Eric.  Meanwhile, Christine was thinking.   A new name?  That doesn’t sound like someone who wants to turn back - it sounds like someone planning on staying that way.  Maybe I’m over-thinking it?   Before she could mull it over any further, Christine drifted off to sleep.

     

7