390. The Awakening of the Unicorn King
501 4 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the wastelands, exotic beasts roamed everywhere. Even king-tier exotic beasts were abundant here. The area was perilous and rarely visited by humans. It was the territory of these exotic beasts. Yet, mighty figures like Martial Sovereigns, Martial Kings, and even Nascent Souls occasionally ventured here. Some came to hunt exotic beasts, while others were in search of rare and precious resources.

The wastelands were vast and sparsely populated by humans. As a result, the footprints of the powerful were few, and many treasures were easily found here. However, even for the likes of Martial Kings and powerful Nascent Souls, there was always a risk of falling prey to an exotic beast.

At this moment, two Golden Core True Persons, a male and a female, cautiously traversed the wastelands. They dared not fly, fearing the notice of the exotic beasts. Ordinary beasts posed no threat to them, but they were wary of the king-tier ones. Deep into the wastelands, these king-tier beasts were more frequent.

These two Golden Core cultivators had ventured deep into the wastelands with a purpose.

"Senior Brother, are you sure we can find the Heavenly Thunder Grass here?" the female asked.

"Absolutely," he replied. "A single Heavenly Thunder Grass, combined with other precious ingredients, can be used to concoct a Heavenly Thunder Pill. With the aid of the Heavenly Thunder Pill, there's a possibility to increase the success rate of transitioning from Golden Core to Nascent Soul by about 10%."

"But I've heard that a king-tier exotic beast, the Unicorn King, resides here."

"That's why we mustn't alert the Unicorn King. If we do, we'll be in grave danger."

They had come in search of the Heavenly Thunder Grass to refine the Heavenly Thunder Pill, which aids in the formation of the Nascent Soul. However, even if they succeeded in concocting the pill, it wouldn't guarantee achieving the Nascent Soul stage. It would merely increase the chances by roughly 10%.

But for the transformation into a Nascent Soul, it's not just about forming it. If one hasn't accumulated enough strength and experience, the Nascent Soul could instantly collapse. Yet, for many Golden Core True Persons, just forming the Nascent Soul was a challenge that thwarted over 90% of them. So, for them, risking their lives for a pill that could increase their chances, even if only by a bit, was worth it.

Both individuals crawled on the ground, concealing their auras as they slowly approached their destination.

"Senior Brother, just how strong is this Unicorn King?" the female Golden Core True Person asked. "Is it stronger than the typical king-tier exotic beast?"

"The Unicorn King can rival a mid-stage Nascent Soul Great Being," the male replied. "Most Nascent Souls, upon encountering it, can only think of fleeing. So, we must tread with utmost caution. If we are discovered, no one will be able to save us."

The two of them had indeed mastered the art of concealing their presence. Thus far, no exotic beast had detected them. In no time, they approached the edge of a tranquil lake. Beside it, they discerned a scorched expanse, approximately a hundred meters wide, where not a blade of grass grew.

Curiously enough, close to the water's edge, a singular plant stood out, its entire body a stark shade of black, radiating an oddity. Yet, it did not wither. Instead, it pulsed with the very essence of life.

"That's it, the Thundergrass!" one exclaimed.

"Surviving a thunderbolt and, rather than dying, it has nurtured tremendous vitality," the other elaborated. "Moreover, it still contains traces of the thunder's power, perfect for shattering the Golden Core. The immense life force within could then nourish a Nascent Soul."

Excitement overwhelmed the two Golden Core True Persons. Thundergrass! They truly found it. Their arduous journey to this desolate domain was all for this singular herb. At last, their efforts bore fruit. However, they did not rush forward immediately. For looming before them was an enormous figure, an exotic beast with a solitary horn, its sheer size comparable to a small hill. The Unicorn King - a King-class exotic beast, now dozing by the lakeside. Though it seemed deep in slumber, who could predict the consequences if they were to disturb it?

"Patience," whispered one. "Let us observe a bit longer, see if the beast awakens."

Thus, in stillness, they waited. Yet, as hours turned into days, the Unicorn King showed no signs of stirring.

"Senior Brother, I've heard some exotic beasts, once they fall asleep, could slumber for centuries. What if this Unicorn King is one of them? How long then must we wait?" The mere thought of a century-long nap tightened their hearts. Such an occurrence was not implausible. Especially considering the Unicorn King was the undisputed ruler of these parts, with no other beasts daring to trespass its domain, thereby minimizing any chances of awakening it.

"If only someone could lure this beast away," one of them pondered. Yet, who would dare to provoke the Unicorn King? Even Nascent Soul cultivators or Martial Kings would think twice.

"We wait," the male declared resolutely. He'd rather wait for months than forsake the opportunity to acquire the Thundergrass. Now, their only option was to trust in fate.

At that moment, high above the wastelands, two figures darted through the sky, swiftly arriving above the lake.

"Saber King, below lies the Unicorn King. Approach, and it shall awaken. We cannot let it escape this time. The task may necessitate your prowess. We may have to employ the Saber World technique to trap it." The Hanging Void Taoist Lord addressed Lin Fei, "From the City of Martial Gods, we've come straight to this wasteland, all for the Unicorn King. However, I'm not entirely confident in taking it down."

Lin Fei, understanding the weight of the situation, replied, "Let me give it a shot." He was well aware that the primary force to confront the Unicorn King had to be him. With four bloodlines coursing through the Unicorn King, Lin Fei felt confident, believing it was not an adversary he couldn't defeat, especially with the aid of the Saber World.

"Be cautious, friend Lin," the Hanging Void Lord cautioned, "I will be here, covering your back."

In an instant, Lin Fei leaped into action, soaring towards the dormant Unicorn King below. A swift sound rang out, and suddenly, the once-slumbering Unicorn King's eyes snapped open, sensing an impending threat. The earth seemed to tremble as the massive beast stirred, its every movement echoing with might.

The two Golden Core True Persons had been silently waiting for days. They were perplexed as the Unicorn King, which had shown no prior signs of movement, suddenly jolted awake with such intensity.

"What's happening? Why has the Unicorn King awakened? Did it somehow sense us?" The two exchanged uneasy glances, their anxiety palpable. If the beast had truly discovered them, their fates would surely be sealed. Panic gripped them, but to their relief, the awakened beast didn't charge at them. Instead, it roared at the skies. Following its gaze, they spotted a silhouette swiftly approaching, taking a position not far from the Unicorn King, seemingly undaunted by its presence.

"Is that... a martial artist?" one wondered.

"Must be a Martial King!" the other deduced.

"A Martial King taking on the Unicorn King?" The realization sparked hope in the hearts of the two Golden Core cultivators. Their persistent wait for an opportunity, a diversion for the Unicorn King, seemed to be presenting itself. However, they also questioned how long a single Martial King could keep the beast engaged. Silently, they prayed that the Martial King could endure, remembering that the Unicorn King had repelled numerous Nascent Soul cultivators and Martial Kings in past battles.

"I'm unfamiliar with this Martial King. Perhaps he's not well-known," one mused.

"Let's hope he can hold on for a while, maybe even divert the beast long enough for us to seize the Thundergrass," the other whispered.

The two Golden Core cultivators, trying to remain undetected, lay low, their eyes glued to the unfolding spectacle in the skies above.

17