7. The Dilemma Of The Lin Family
5.5k 10 164
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This arrangement had been decided long ago.

Lin Fei would learn martial arts, while Lin Wen would inherit the family business and manage it, providing resources for Lin Fei's cultivation.

"But in recent years, the world has become more chaotic, and bandits and thieves have emerged everywhere. Our Lin family has its own escort agency, but last year, Master Bai of the escort agency has been deteriorating in health and can no longer escort our goods.

Since then, our Lin family's caravan has faced troubles. Almost every time we go out, we suffer losses, sometimes even severe ones. Master Bai was a Body Refining fifth-level expert and had made quite a name for himself in both the underworld and the legitimate world.

Thus, with Master Bai as our escort, our Lin family's caravan usually encountered no issues. But now, there's no one in the escort agency capable of taking on such a responsibility.

As for hiring other Body Refining experts above the fourth level, firstly, we don't trust them, fearing they might seize our goods. Secondly, those unfamiliar fourth-level experts may not be able to deter the bandits along the way.

Over time, our Lin family's business has become increasingly difficult. Fortunately, Mr. Lu allied with our Lin family through marriage, and thanks to your sister-in-law's plea, Mr. Lu 's business now cooperates with ours, allowing the Lin family to barely stay afloat. But if this problem isn't solved, our Lin family will face even greater difficulties in the future."

Lin Fei saw his older brother unknowingly grip his sister-in-law's hand tightly. It was clear that despite their recent marriage, their feelings for each other ran deep. As it turned out, his sister-in-law had helped the Lin family so much.

"Big brother, with the family in such difficulties, why haven't my monthly allowances been reduced?"

Lin Fei received a thousand taels every month at the Nine Profound Sect. This was no small sum. Over the course of three years, it amounted to nearly forty thousand taels!

Given the Lin family's current situation, this money could alleviate their pressing needs.

His brother smiled slightly, "Second brother, your cultivation at the Nine Profound Sect carries the hopes of our entire family. Even if the family is struggling, your allowance won't be reduced!"

Lin Fei felt touched.

"Father, I understand what you're saying. Right now, the world is in chaos, and our Lin family's caravan dares not leave Zhou Mountain Mansion City easily.

In the past, with Master Bai of the escort agency, the situation was better. It might not be because of his strength, but rather because he had connections in both the underworld and the legitimate world after decades of experience. Therefore, some bandits would give face to Master Bai.

But now that Master Bai is unable to escort our goods personally, those bandits won't show us any mercy simply because of the escort agency's banner."

Lin's father nodded, "That's right. A single Body Refining expert at the fourth or fifth level can't achieve what Master Bai did, earning the respect of the bandits."

"Father, let's put this matter aside for now. I'll find a solution."

"You'll find a solution? Fei, you..."

Lin Fei no longer concealed anything and said straightforwardly, "Father, who said I was expelled from the mountain? I came down the mountain on my own to do a mission. Just a few days ago, I officially reached the fourth level of Body Refining and can now stay at the Nine Profound Sect."

"Ah? Is... is this true?"

Lin's father, mother, and older brother Lin Wen all showed a hint of surprise and delight on their faces.

"Of course, it's true. This is my identification plate..."

Lin Fei took out his Nine Profound Sect identification plate. On it was the certification of his Body Refining fourth level.

"Hahaha, Second Brother, I knew you could do it!"

His older brother couldn't help but laugh. During this time, he had been under immense pressure. The entire burden of the Lin family rested on his shoulders.

Now that Lin Fei had become a Body Refining fourth-level expert and an outer disciple of the Nine Profound Sect, Lin Wen felt more confident. No longer like before, when he was always cautious and treading on thin ice in everything he did. That feeling was truly unbearable.

Lin's father was overjoyed and had a feast prepared.

It wasn't until late that Lin Fei returned to his room.

"Phew..."

Lin Fei sighed deeply. Learning about the Lin family's current situation made him feel troubled. He had returned this time to complete a mission as a side task. His real purpose was to come back and get some money. But with the Lin family in such a state, how could he take any money?

"Knock, knock, knock."

Before Lin Fei could lie down, there was a knock at the door.

Lin Fei opened the door.

"Big brother? It's so late, you..."

Lin Fei was surprised.

Outside the door stood his older brother, Lin Wen.

Lin Wen patted Lin Fei's shoulder and handed him a stack of silver bills, "Second brother, here are thirty thousand taels in silver bills. Use them sparingly. With our parents and your sister-in-law present earlier, some things weren't convenient to say. I know that you martial artists consume a lot of resources. This amount may not be much, but it's all the Lin family can currently afford."

"Big brother, thirty thousand taels of silver bills, is the Lin family not doing business anymore?" Lin Fei was shocked.

"Don't be so alarmed. I definitely won't touch the money used for the family business. However, our father had his glorious years, and now that the family's wealth has been handed over to me, I sold some of the treasures he liked when he was young. Don't worry; it won't affect the family business."

"Big brother, this..."

Lin Fei was deeply touched. His older brother had taken care of him since childhood. Even though they had both grown up, their feelings for each other remained unchanged.

"Alright, don't be so sentimental. Go and rest. If you're truly touched, strive to become a Body Refining expert above the seventh level or even a stronger expert!

By then, just showing your reputation, who would dare to bully our Lin family? I, your older brother, will have more confidence in doing business."

After speaking, Lin Wen left.

164