Chapter 11. The Return of the Crown Princess
2.2k 2 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The main square of the capital was filled with people celebrating the anniversary of the founding of the empire. They gathered not only from the empire, but also from the neighboring kingdoms.

The most important nobles gathered in the Imperial Palace, and those who could not enter stood in a row on the road between the main square and the palace. Everyone, from the nobles who lived in the capital to the high-ranking officials, were dressed in their best clothes.

All the inhabitants of the empire watched the scene with their eyes shining with excitement. Even from afar, the golden palace looked truly magnificent.

The celebration of the anniversary of the founding of the empire was a rare event that would not be repeated for decades.

«Glory to the Emperor!»

«Glory to the Empire!»

It was a very happy day.

The banquet hall was already full of guests. Everything was decorated extremely lavishly and pompously.

The nobles joked and talked. All the cream of high society gathered at this evening: the latest rumors and gossip flew between them like hot cakes.

As always, the royal family was the main topic of conversation among the aristocracy.

Most of these gossips were related to the disturbing rumors about the return of the Crown Princess. I wonder if she'll show up today.

Perhaps in recent centuries there has not been a more hated member of the imperial family than her.

— …I don't even know. It has been half a year since the Crown Princess was sent to the southern border. Do you think the Emperor has already called her back? There was concern in the nobleman's voice.

— I'm curious about it too. I hope not. We've all been waiting for this day for so long. I would not like it to be spoiled…

The discussion of the Crown Princess of the Reuven Empire was a rather delicate topic. Even the emperor did not cause anyone so much excitement. That is why the nobles did not raise their voices, but spoke almost in a whisper. As if this topic was forbidden.

— Come on, gentlemen! Her Highness is thousands of miles away now. How could she come back so soon?

After one of the nobles made a reasonable argument, the others hurried to agree with him.

«You're right, Sir Louis!»

Really. Even if the emperor had really summoned the Crown Princess, she definitely would not have had time to return by this day.

The journey from the southern border to the capital usually took at least a month. So the nobles could have a good time without any worries.

After that, the anxiety among those present dissipated, and the guests continued to have fun as if nothing had happened. For a while, the atmosphere in the hall was quite peaceful. Until then…

— The Sun of the Empire, His Majesty the Emperor, the Moon of the Empire, Her Majesty the Empress and Her Highness the Second Princess enter! The servant shouted.

Everyone paid attention to the entrance doors. The representatives of the nobility present hurried to bow their heads. The ruling family walked the red carpet proudly and confidently. When the emperor approached his throne, he turned to the nobles and said:

— Raise your heads.

The emperor waved his hand majestically, taking root on the throne. Obeying the order, the people stood up.

This man had been ruling the Reuvens Empire for over thirty years. Despite his advanced age, golden hair still broke through his gray hair. And the clear blue eyes shone just as brightly.

The Empress next to him was dressed even more pretentiously than usual. Her neck, fingers, and all visible parts of her body were covered with expensive jewelry. And the woman herself was smiling a snow-white smile.

But the second princess of the empire, Ruvens, undoubtedly attracted the most attention.

Her golden hair was styled in an elegant hairstyle. The clothes she wore were meant for the most important days: embroidered lion heads, the symbol of the imperial family on her left shoulder, and embroidered roses on her right. With every movement, they sparkled dazzlingly because of the precious stones covering them. The girl shone like a scorching sun, catching a lot of glances at herself.

These three spoke and looked godlike. The ideal ruling family of monarchs. As if there shouldn't be anyone superfluous among them…

At this time, the emperor turned around, addressing the nobility.

— Today the Imperial Family celebrates a significant day. The anniversary of the founding of the empire is an important event that we are happy to celebrate with you. In addition, on this auspicious day, I would also like to take the opportunity to make an announcement…

The couple exchanged strange glances with each other. It seemed that there was a secret between them, known only to the two of them.

In an attempt to get rid of their eldest daughter, who had become worse than a nightmare for them, the imperial couple tried everything. Assassins, accidents, poisonings and more. Kaena managed to avoid all these traps. Moreover, the girl did not even show that she knew about it.

It only made them angrier. «Doesn't she take us seriously at all?!»

At least, that was the case until recently. Now, this scoundrel had no chance to escape her fate. If the Crown Princess returns to the empire, it will only be in parts. The Emperor and Empress have devised an ingenious plan.

Rouvens has been in conflict with the neighboring empire for many decades. And this eventually led to a rebellion on the border between the empire of Rouvens and Thursia. The emperor felt uncomfortable, so he ordered the Crown Princess to go and solve the problem on her own.

However, this was where the catch lay.

The emperor deliberately sent an army with only a thousand soldiers with the Crown Princess, counting on the losses allotted in advance. He decided to make such a sacrifice — to get rid of the biggest thorn in their lives.

As soon as Kaena de Ronan dies, order will finally reign in the country. Then the emperor will launch full-scale actions against this empire and this time send his second daughter to the battlefield. He was sure that Jerica would win easily. Having defended the borders of the empire, the girl will return as a heroine and finally secure the title of crown princess.

It was a perfect plan that seemed to have no chance of failure.

Only Jerica, who was completely unaware of her parents' grandiose plans, became worried. She felt that something was going to happen today.

— By coincidence, the Crown Princess, fulfilling her duty to protect the motherland, tragically…

Bang!

There was a sudden loud crash at the entrance.

— Ah! Wh-what is this…?

The nobility was instantly alarmed. Everyone turned at the sound and froze.

Someone screamed. But mostly, there was a silent silence in the hall.

It could only be at a funeral. But now, at the banquet in the imperial palace, each of these people was afraid to move once again.

A whistle sounded in the impenetrable silence of the banquet hall. It was getting stronger by the second.

*fistula-cheek*

A figure was walking through the crowd of the ballroom. Finally, she stopped in front of the imperial throne, and the cheeky sounds stopped.

That smile. By her very appearance, she brought chilling horror to the emperor and Empress. The latter dug her fingers into the arms of the throne.

— I greet Your Majesty the Emperor.

88