Chapter 14. Fight the Devil
1.9k 4 80
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

«She's coming for me… She will definitely come for me!»

Late at night, after returning to her chambers after the banquet, the Empress could not find a place for herself. As if possessed, she kept muttering the same words to herself.

Despite the fact that the emperor had significantly increased the number of palace guards, the Empress still did not feel safe. Cold sweat ran down her back, and fear of the impending threat made it impossible to close her eyes.

The second princess, worried about her mother's condition at the banquet, came to check on her. The Empress's complexion brightened at the appearance of her precious daughter. And as soon as the door closed behind her, the Empress's fingers painfully dug into the girl's shoulders.

— My girl, quickly stop this crazy woman!

Despite her mother's pleas, the princess slowed down.

— Mother, what are you talking about?

— You have to kill her!

Jerica's pupils widened dramatically.

— For my sake! The Empress exclaimed hoarsely, «You must end her for me!»

Stunned, Jerica stared at the Empress. The woman seemed to be out of her mind.

«Mother, first of all, sit down,» the princess wanted to sit her mother down so that she would recover a little, «You are too excited right now. I'll have the maids bring you a sedative…

The Empress burst into hysterical laughter.

«A sedative?» I don't need him! The first lady of the imperial court barked, «I just want you to end this scoundrel now!»

— …

While Jerica was silent, the Empress continued to mutter vaguely, as if she was talking to herself.

— This is the end for us. You do understand, don't you? The Empress's voice shook.

— Mother…

— You saw it with your own eyes! — She insisted, — This is not a man, but a monster. We turned a blind eye to what was happening for too long, and this is what came of it. First there was the empire of Thursia, and now it's our turn…

— But… Didn't Father send Kaena himself to settle the conflict at the border? The princess asked cautiously.

The Empress clenched her fists.

— She should have died! To die! — the Empress screamed, — But she returned alive! Do you understand what this means? Now she's going to want revenge on us!

Knowing her older sister's character well, Jerica was aware that her mother's fears might not be in vain. After the Crown Princess stabbed her cousin to death right at a family dinner just for dropping a few unflattering words at her, the rest of the imperial family preferred to stay on their guard with her.

«If you don't poke a bear with a stick, it won't growl.»

However, this time, the emperor and Empress had clearly gone too far.

Sensing that things were really bad, Jerica tried to make an argument:

— Mother, even if Kaena holds a grudge against you, it is unlikely that she will actually commit a coup d'etat…

The Empress raised her voice, giving her daughter a piercing look.

— How can you give such guarantees when our lives are at stake? Tell me, how can you be sure of that?!

The second princess couldn't find anything to say and bit her lip.

«It is useless for a man to fight the devil,» the Empress muttered, «If he acts against them, then only by their own methods.

— what?

Jerica was worried that her mother would aggravate the situation by rash actions.

«It must be done at night,» the Empress said confidently, «tonight.

Unlike the rest of the imperial family, Kaena de Ronan did not live on the territory of the Imperial City, but in her own residence. The terrifying black castle was located far from the capital and human habitations. Not only did the Crown Princess live there, but the main base of the Dark Army was also located there.

In other words, this place was a real haven of evil.

The residence of the Crown Princess was perhaps even better guarded than the Imperial palace. At one time, the Empress tried to send several assassins there, but they could not even get to the main possessions. The next day, every single one of their heads were sent back to the Empress.

Since then, the Empress has made no further attempts to attack her domain.

Getting rid of this girl was, in principle, extremely problematic. In the eyes of the Empress, the crown princess looked like a rat, which no matter how much you poison, she will still return and bring a brood with her. Previous futile attempts only confirmed this.

However, now, for the first time in a long time, they have a «chance.»

Because Kaena hated the Imperial Palace, she hadn't slept there since she was a child. And this time was no exception. Despite the late hour, the Crown Princess went to her estate anyway.

Considering that she returned so suddenly, many soldiers from her army had not yet been notified of her return. Accordingly, during the trip, Kaena will be accompanied by a minimum number of subordinates.

If not now, then there may not be another opportunity.

The Empress still remembered the look of those golden eyes that she caught on herself that day from a thirteen-year-old girl. She remembered that look of madness for the rest of her life. And he hasn't changed since then.

The Empress knew that sooner or later Kaena would want to avenge her mother. She was just waiting for the right opportunity. When she ascended the throne, as payback for her childhood, she would kill the entire imperial family. There was no way Valencia Gross le Bauer could let that happen.

«Jerica, listen to me,» the Empress's hands trembled on her shoulders, «Summon all the forces of the Imperial Army, but get rid of this scoundrel today!

«Are you asking me to take advantage of my position?» The second princess was indignant.

— What else did you become a captain for? «Isn't it to protect me and my father?» the Empress cried. I ask you to fulfill your duty as a daughter!

— Mother… you…

Despite the fact that Kaena had committed many atrocities, she was still a member of the imperial family, and besides, Jerica's own sister. No matter how cruel and merciless the girl was, the Second Princess couldn't just stab her in the back.

«As your daughter, I will do whatever you ask,» the princess eventually declared, «everything except this.»

— Jerica!

The Empress exclaimed desperately.

— How can a commander stoop to such a thing? Jerica continued unperturbed, «You're asking me to attack a person surreptitiously! Is this the act of a noble knight?

— You…!

The woman exhaled indignantly.

— In this world, I have no one more precious than you and my father. I will do everything for your well-being. But… Don't ask me to kill you.

From the look of the second princess, it was clear that this was a decision that was not even being discussed.

Jerica de Ronan bowed slightly and left the room. The Empress watched her go with an angry look. Then she exhaled noisily and closed her eyes tightly.

Maybe because she was too pampered as a child, the girl grew up so soft? Why doesn't she look a bit like her mother? Is it really so difficult to put the interests of the family first?

Restraining herself, the Empress soon calmed down.

After all, knowing her daughter's character and the fact that she wouldn't touch even an ant unnecessarily, she could have expected such an answer. Based on this, she already had a backup plan ready.

— You can come out.

While the Empress was coldly staring at the doors from which the second princess had just left, a faint rustle was heard in the room. A man in black clothes with his face covered was on his knees in front of her.

— Your Majesty, I am listening to you.

Without looking at the assassin, the Empress handed him a vial of clear liquid. It looked like ordinary water, but in fact it was one of the most powerful poisons created on the continent.

The Poison of the Seven Herbs is a famous deadly potion containing seven of the continent's most poisonous herbs. It was impossible to buy it on the regular market, so the Empress had to try to find a potion maker. But it was worth it. One drop was enough to kill a herd of healthy horses. Not to mention one person.

«Do it quietly, — the Empress ordered.

— Yes, Your Majesty.

The killer disappeared as silently as he appeared. The Empress stared intently into the dark gloom outside the window.

The black sky, in which there were no stars, foreshadowed that this night would be long.

80