Chapter 7 – Holiday Fireworks
125 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hello, dear.”  Stephanie’s mother Jan said.  “I see you brought your roommate.”  She obviously disapproved - her tone made that apparent.

 

“Oh this is going well.”  Steph thought to herself.  “Yes, I did. We’re dating. He’s my boyfriend, mom.”

 

Jan’s eyes flashed, and her nostrils flared a bit.   “I see.  Well, come inside.”   She turned without saying a word to Andrew, nor greeting him.

 

If Stephanie’s eye could shoot death rays, her mom would be SO dead right now, Andrew thought.  Oh hell. 

 

Stephanie looked at Andrew to say sorry - but he knew what to expect going in; all that was left to do was see how the cards fell, and help pick up the pieces when it was over.   He’d hoped it wouldn’t come to this, but it sure as hell looked like it was going to.

 

“C’mon.  Let’s go in hon.” He said, taking her arm in his.  “Let’s get this over with.”

 

They walked inside, and began removing their boots and coats.  Jan had gone over to the kitchen, and poured herself a drink.  She looked like she was having rum and coke.  “Did either of you want a drink?”

 

“No thanks, mom. I have to drive.”  Steph answered.

 

“Not for me, Mrs. Walsh.”  Andrew finished.

 

“Alright then.  Why don’t you go sit in the living room.  Andrew you use the wingback chair - it should hold your weight - and I’ll get your father and well be right back.”

 

“Mom!”  Goddamn it.  Steph thought.  Not even 30 seconds and she’s calling him fat.

 

“What dear?  Your friend is large.  I don’t want him to hurt the furniture.”  Jan said, obviously not caring if she upset Andrew.  To her she was probably just stating a fact.  

 

“You could use some frigging tact, mom!”

 

Watch your language, Keith.  “That’s no way to speak to your mother.”

 

Andrew was getting more than a little pissed off too.  “Her name is Stephanie.  She’s told you that a hundred times.  She legally changed her name.  What’s your problem?”

 

Jan stood there a moment, looking at Andrew like ‘how dare he interrupt me?’  “If you say so.  And I don’t have a problem.”  She turned without saying anything, and said “I’ll get your father.  Well be back in a moment.”

 

Stephanie was looking red, and angry.  Her hands were clenched so tight, her nails were cutting into her palms.   “NOT this again, dammit.  I swear to god, I’m not taking this anymore.  NO MORE.   Let’s go sit.  I don’t expect well be here much longer, Andrew.   Why couldn’t they just try to be happy for me once?  JUST ONCE! Goddamn it.”  Steph could feel her eyes start to get puffy again, as tears barely held off.   Not yet.  Not yet.

 

The two of them went into the living room - shoes off of course, and Steph directed Andrew to sit on the couch next to her, just to piss her mom and dad off - and also because she liked being near him.   They sat - and lo and behold - the couch didn’t crumble to its component pieces.   The room was decorated with thanksgiving kitsch - a ceramic turkey with lights in its eyes, and some intarsia art of a thanksgiving table over the mantle.  

There was the smell of pumpkin pie in the air, and of roast turkey.   Steph hoped it was better than last year - last year it was so dry it tasted almost like meat-sand.   Turkeys at her mom’s house never had stuffing - she was wheat intolerant so we usually had wheat free biscuits instead.  Blech.  But we didn’t come for the food this year. 

 

 

Her mom and dad appeared at the edge of the room.  Jan was short - about 5' 6", with short greyish brown hair and a pinched face, a sweater and jeans.  Her dad Phillip was closer to 6'1" and was rather broad - he did weights - and had lost most of his hair a decade ago, which he fought relentlessly until he realized it was futile.  He looked a bit distracted - a bit tipsy too - and was wearing slacks and a button up shirt.  

 

“Hi Stephanie,” He said, smiling.  “Nice outfit.  Hi Andrew.  I’m a bit surprised you’re here - I thought you’d be with your family this time of year.”

 

Steph looked a little bit surprised at the greeting.  “Thanks dad. I like it.”

 

“As for me, sir, my family and I decided a long time ago that we work better far away from each other.  I just didn’t want to leave Stephanie alone on Thanksgiving - and I wanted to meet you as well - we haven’t spoken much before today.”  Andrew said.  

 

Phillip nodded, and went to his favourite chair - a grey recliner, while Janice went to one of her fancy decorator chairs.   Janice spoke up first.  “Keith... oh, sorry - Stephanie said Andrew is his new boyfriend.”  She said it in a mock apology; it was obvious she was in a bitchy mood.   “Susan would have been so pleased to meet him.”  She said, looking at a picture of her second child, next to her seat.

 

“I would have like for Susan to meet him, too mom.”   Stephanie said, trying to keep her temper.  “You’re not the only one who misses her.”

 

Her mother replied with such venom, that it surprised both Andrew and Stephanie.  “Of course I am!  Who’s at her grave every day?  Who arranged the entire funeral alone?  You never visit her grave - you don’t even care.  She was my daughter - my real daughter.  You wouldn’t understand the bond we had.”

 

“I’m your damn daughter too, mom!”  Stephanie said angrily.  “Don’t I count for anything?”

 

“No you’re not.  You’re my son - my confused, screwed up son.  It doesn’t matter if you change your name, or wear makeup, or screw boys, Keith.  The surgery won’t change a damn thing.  You’ll still be a stupid, mixed up boy who mutilated himself to try and make himself feel better.   I wish Susan was still here instead of you!”

 

Andrew stood up, and looked at Jan with pure hate in his eyes...  “We’re leaving.  Thanks for nothing.”  When he looked over to see if Stephanie was coming with, he saw her looking at her mom with pure rage in her eyes.  She was red faced, tensed - like she was ready to fight.  Oh Shit!  He thought.  Here it comes.

 

Stephanie couldn’t believe what she was hearing.  She knew her mom didn’t approve - if she’d kept silent about it Stephanie could have dealt with that.  No - what she said was basically a negation of everything Stephanie had agonized over for more than three decades - followed by a cruel wish that no parent should ever say to a child.  It was a mistake to come here.  Andrew was right - she was toxic.  Maybe her dad would be able to see his daughter had some value... but mom, apparently not.  

 

Normally she would have turned and left without a word.   Normally.  This time though something was different.  I’ve had enough.  She thought.  I’m not going to allow this bitch to say that about me ever again.  This ends now.   “You sanctimonious bitch.”  She said.

 

Her mother gaped.  Her father looked surprised as well - this was rather unlike his erstwhile son-now-daughter. 

 

“You have the gall to insult me, insult my boyfriend, and then wish I was dead.  Newsflash - I know I’ve always been the Unfavorite around here.  It’s not news.  But Susan killed herself mom - not me, not dad.  She did.  And frankly I’d rather have one of her than a hundred of you, any day.”  Steph was crying too - but with rage.  “You’re full of poison and hate, and I’m done with you forever.  I swear to god, if you ever come near me - call me, or even try to contact me, I swear to god I will hunt you down and kill you.  Never speak to me again.”

 

“How dare you speak to me like that!?”  Jan screamed, jumping out of her chair to interpose herself between Stephanie, Andrew and the door.  “Were not done here!”

 

“Yes, mom, we are.  Now get out of my FUCKING way.”  Steph was freaking Andrew out – he’d never seen her this angry before.  She had never spoken to her parents like this before, that was sure.   And there was Phillip, drink in hand, standing there useless like usual.  He might as well not have been there.

 

“No.  You and your roommate are staying for dinner, and well stop all this stupid tranny nonsense for good.”

 

Stephanie stood there, looking at her mother, and something snapped inside her.  It wasn’t like a normal rage - it was something else...  She could smell blood, and hear the din of battle - the ring of steel on steel, and the screams of the dying.  It felt as if cold arctic wind was blowing down her back, and blood was warm on her face.  She felt her hands clench... and punched her mom in the face with all her might.  The blow was so fierce, everyone in the room could hear the crack of Jan’s nose breaking, and blood sprayed from her ruined face all over Stephanie’s blazer and blouse.   In seconds her mom was down on the floor, unconscious - and Andrew was trying to pull Stephanie away from her mother.  “I said if you ever talked to me again, I’d kill you.  I fucking meant it.  You don’t ‘you should have died instead’ someone and get away with it mom. You don’t. Go to hell.”

 

“Stephanie... What the hell?”  Phillip looked lost - like he had no idea how the situation had escalated this far, this fast.   “What’s going on with you?”

 

“I’m leaving dad, and I’m not coming back, ever.  If you want to call me in a month or two, go ahead.  I’m not talking to this bitch ever again.   Oh by the way - I got your letter - the one in the trunk.   It was informative, I guess.  Would you be surprised that about five days ago someone approached me and said I was adopted?”

 

Phillip shook his head, hanging it at the same time - like someone defeated.  “No, dear.  I wouldn’t be surprised.   Was it him - Luke?”

 

“No dad - it was someone else.  Someone who said they actually wanted me, instead of treating me like I was a chore to be saddled with.  I don’t know if they’re any better than this family, but they sure as hell can’t be any worse.   I hope you’re happy with her.”  Stephanie said, nodding towards her unconscious mother.   “You know, if you tried, you could have stopped this.  Taken control and brought some sense into her - or at least kept her civil for the evening.   But you didn’t bother did you - cause living with the shitstorm she’d raise after I left was worse than treating me and the person I love with some fucking dignity.  I’m going away - I don’t expect we’ll meet again.  At least not for a really long time.”

 

Phillip, nodded, tears in his eyes.  “Stephanie... be careful.  Luke isn’t what he seems.  You might really be in danger.”

 

“I know dad.”  Steph said.  “I don’t care.  Better that than being here.  Tell mom if I die she got her Christmas wish.”

 

Phillip nodded sadly.

 

Andrew took Steph’s arm in his hand, and gently steered her towards the door.  “C’mon love.  It’s time to go.”  Andrew was almost totally speechless.  She hit her mom!  She seriously took a swing!  What the hell?!   I’ve never seen her this angry before - hell I’ve never seen her talk back to her mom before.  Like ever!  I’m not sure what this change in her is, but I think I like it.

 

The two put on their boots and coats, and left her parents house and got in the car.   Andrew sat quietly next to his enraged girlfriend until she calmed down a bit.  “Want to talk about it, love?”

 

“Not really.  You were right I guess.”

 

“I’d have rather been wrong, you know.”

 

“Yeah.  I’ll talk about it later. Right now I need to get somewhere away from this place.  Do you mind if we go to the hotel?”  Steph asked.

 

“Sure – let’s get there, and I’ll try to calm you down with a backrub.”  Andrew offered.

 

She smiled.  “Not sure if that’s what I really need right now, but I’ll take it.  Did you see her face when I told her off?  I thought blood was going to shoot out of her eyes, for reals.”

 

“I thought she was going to have a coronary, actually.”  Andrew laughed.  “She was pissed - but holy cow, I’ve never seen you so pissed either.”

 

“I... Think if you hadn’t pulled me away, I might have killed her, Roo.  Something’s changed inside of me - I just don’t know what it is.”  She started the car, and pulled out of the driveway.   She looked worried.

 

*              *              *

 

Phillip walked past his unconscious wife, and over to his study, more than a little bit shaken. She’s strong  she’ll be fine.  I’m not even sure she CAN die.  He thought.  His wife was one of those people who watched everyone else around them die but stayed healthy and going till everyone around her was dead. Sometimes he felt she was like a vampire, sucking out his soul piece by piece.  She deserved what she got tonight.

 

In his study, he opened his safe.  No one had the combination except him - not his lawyer, not his wife. He never even wrote it down somewhere so he wouldn’t forget it.  Inside was a scrapbook, painfully assembled over years of time... Pictures going back as far as the 1700's all the way up to the present day.  All of Luke.  Not Luke’s descendants  but Luke himself.  Unaging. Eternal. Unnatural. He remembered the last thing Luke ever said to him, as he gave Phillip his baby son: “When someone comes for him when he’s older, let him go. If you try to stop him, try to keep him from his destiny, I swear will kill you and your wife with my bare hands. Treat him as you would your own. Your life depends on it.”

 

The threat seemed silly and pointless at the time; he wanted a son, a child of his own. And as for letting go, well didn’t all parents have to do that at some point?  He took the child, Keith, and showed him to his wife, after Luke had gone.  It wasn’t until years later, when ... things... started happening around Keith that he realized there was more to Luke than he knew.  Oh God... He thought.  Was tonight the night? Did we try to stop her from leaving? Where did I go wrong?  Phillip realized he loved Stephanie dearly as she left  and the thought of never seeing her again was killing him.  He had to go control his wife, whether she liked it or not... for both of their sakes.  “I swear to god if Jan tries to call the police on Stephanie I just might kill her myself.”  He muttered, heading out to the living room to call 911.

 

*              *             *

 

The hotel room was a typical budget hotel; a queen sized bed with a dresser and television, a coffee table and some chairs, two nightstands, and some lamps. The walls had nice paint, and the room looked clean, not dingy. Andrew and Steph put their luggage on the bed, and sat down with a woof of air.

 

“Well that could have gone better.” Steph said dryly.

 

“You think?” Andrew replied. “Nice right hook.”

 

“Umm... I don’t know where that came from. I kinda scared myself a bit. Do you think mom will press charges?”

 

“I dunno. Maybe. Maybe your dad can convince her not to.” Andrew was starting to realize the possible consequences of what had happened tonight and it was starting to seem a lot less humorous.  “Still, she deserved it.”

 

“Maybe. No, no maybe. She did deserve it. I just hope she doesn’t press charges. I don’t want to be arrested.”

 

“I know love, I know.”  Andrew consoled her for a moment, and turned sideways on the bed to better reach her for a back massage. It seemed to help as she melted into it. Still, he couldn’t shake the nervousness that said ‘Stupid, the police are about to be here.’ It drove him to distraction.  “I’ll bake you a cake with a file in it.”

 

“Yummm... Make it with lemon filling and that whipped cream icing okay?”  Steph said, jokingly.

 

They sat, arms wrapped around each other for a few minutes.

 

Steph was the first to break the reverie.  “You still gonna bring out your woodsprites?”

 

Andrew smiled.  “Yeah, sure. You going to use your necklace and summon Billy?”

 

“Why not... I’ve been whining about not having my own helper-slash-guide all week, I might as well take advantage of him now that he’s arrived.  Maybe he knows how to avoid being arrested?” Steph said, a little ironically.

 

“Maybe. We can hope.”

 

As Andrew sat and began to plant his little sprite seeds, Stephanie held up her dogtags and tried to fathom their use. The runes were basically unreadable. There wasn’t a button or anything. In the end she just held them in front of her and said “Billy, come forth.”

 

Suddenly there was a flash like lightning, and a popping noise, and when her eyes cleared, there was a young man in a Canadian army uniform, about 6' 2" and a rangy wiry build. He had black hair, and gray eyes and looked both rugged and handsome.  he was certainly in much better shape than Andrew ever had been.  He carried a kite shield and an axe, as well as a rifle. She found herself staring for a moment, with her mouth open - he was handsome, and sort of looked like Harrison ford when he was only 25.  the young man just grinned.   “I get that a lot.” he said in a strong voice. “What’s up?  I’m Billy.”

 

3