Chapter 16 – Biederbach
116 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“All right guys... time to go back in the pouch!”  Alley said, wincing - her sock feet had been torn ragged, and she was sure she sported several blisters on each foot.  She could walk - barely - and although Stephanie was able to walk due to Danu’s healing magic, she too was limping.   The only one of them other than the sprites in great shape was Billy.

 

The sprites carefully climbed back inside the pouch with little argument - they didn’t want to be seen by the humans of Biederbach any more than Alley wanted them seen.  “Will you let us out when we get to the hotel, Mistress?”  Petal begged. 

 

“Sure - a bit later after we’ve had a chance to talk - Stephanie and I, and Billy too I suppose.”  Alley said.  “But for now, in the pouch, kay?”

 

“Okay.”  Petal sighed and crawled into the pouch - the last sprite left.  

 

“They really, really like being with you, Andrew... I mean Alley.”  Stephanie said, cursing to herself.   “Sorry.”

 

“No worries, love – I’m going to have to remember my name too.  At least they both start with the same letter.  I can’t imagine how your brain went from Keith to Stephanie so easily.”  Alley said.

 

“What makes you think it was easy?”  Stephanie asked.  “I kept responding to my old boy name for over a year and half - I just tried to make it as un-obvious as I could.   It was a real pain in the ass too.   Actually in the end the total switch to another sound entirely seemed to help me.”

 

“Huh.”  Alley winced again.  “Let’s get to the damn hotel - my feet are killing me.”

 

Billy nodded.  “You’ll probably need a day or three off of them - you won’t be walking far or fast.   Maybe you’ll heal it faster than usual?  Do we have a few days to rest?  Cause I suspect we’ll find clothes and other stuff Alley needs easier in Stuttgart than we will here in Biederbach.”

 

“Probably.”  Stephanie said.  “And you’re probably right - but well have to buy some stuff here just to make the trip.   Let’s get back to the hotel, kay?  I think at least two of us could use a shower.”

 

“Agreed.”  Alley said, limping towards the hotel - until Billy swept her into his arms.  “Billy... what the fu...?”

 

Billy just grunted as he took Alleys weight, and started walking back to the hotel.  “It’s me giving you a lift, is what it is.  I couldn’t carry you over a four hour hike, but ten minutes to the hotel I think I can manage.   Unless you’d rather walk that is?  I can put you down.”

 

Stephanie smirked at Alleys reaction - she suspected Billy would do something like this.   “Thanks Billy - I think it’ll do her good to get off her feet for a few.”

 

Alley looked like she was going to argue, but decided against it.  “Thanks Billy.”  She said, putting her arms around Billy’s neck for support.

 

As they walked through the sleepy rural town, it was plain that the only shops open were the pubs - and traffic was virtually non-existent.  Most of the homes had their lights off, except for a few scattered here and there, and the electric glow of the light in the hotel parking lot showed them the way back to their lodging.

 

Billy put Alley down just outside the hotel, so she could walk in - hopefully quietly and undetected - and the three of them entered.  The man watching the front desk was different than the one who had seen the three of them check in - so he didn’t even blink as the three went past him and upstairs.   As they entered the lift (what the locals called an elevator), Alley breathed a sigh of relief she hadn’t know she was holding.  A few minutes later they were back in their hotel suite.

 

Alley flopped down on a bed, groaning.  “Thank God I’m off my feet!  She pulled off her bloody socks, and hissed as she saw the nasty set of blisters on each foot.  I think I’m going to need your help with this Billy.”

 

“Well if it’s one thing they teach you in the infantry, Billy said, it’s how to take care of foot injuries.  I’ll patch you up.”   Billy came over and took a look at Alleys feet, with Stephanie looking over Billy’s shoulder.   “The blisters are bad - with treatment they’ll hurt for a day or two if you heal at the rate most scions do.  They’ll heal up fine, but they’ll hurt.”  Billy grinned.  “Considering the length of the walk, and the time of year, your feet are remarkably good.”

 

“Great!”  Alley sighed.  “Thanks.”  She flopped down prone on the bed, waggling her feet for Billy to bandage them. 

 

“Really, Alley?”  Stephanie asked, laughing.  “Just wait a sec while I get the first aid kit.”  Is she flirting?  Stephanie wondered.  She fetched a kit from one of the packs, and handed it to Billy, who quickly applied antiseptic ointment, foot powder where needed, and fresh bandages. 

 

“I think you should have a sponge bath, Alley, not a shower - or else I’ll have to redo those bandages again.”  Billy said. 

 

“Okay.  I’ll be back from the bathroom in a little while.”  Alley said, slowly rising to her feet.  “See - I can walk, sort of.”

 

“Need a hand, hon?”  Stephanie asked.  “With anything?”

 

Alley smiled, and shook her head no.  “All that’s gonna happen is a bathroom break and me, with a washcloth, some elbow grease, and this dirt.  I promise, if I need help, I’ll call out okay?”

 

“Sure.”  Steph answered.

 

Alley went into the small bathroom to clean up, leaving Stephanie and Billy alone. As good a time as any for a serious talk, Stephanie thought.  “Hey Billy, I think you and I need to talk.”

 

Billy nodded.  “Sure thing, boss.  What’s on your mind?”

 

“Well - your comments for one thing.  You’re not what most people call politically correct are you?”

 

“Not really, Steph.  Being politically correct basically means you’re not saying what you really mean - and I tell it like it is.  I got used to it after a few months with the Einherjar.   That’s how they talk - say what you mean, and mean what you say.   Simple, and a lot less bullshit.”  Billy smirked.  “Or were you wondering about the I’d do either of you comments?”

 

“More the latter, actually.”  Steph asked.  “Would you really?  Or is it just a game to you?”

 

“No, it’s not a game.  I really think you’re cute.  I think Alley is cute.  I have no problem being attracted to cute women - even if they weren’t always women.   If that bothers you, I’m not really sorry - but I’ll stop talking about it if it pisses you off.  I wasn’t lying when I said I knew a few transexuals before, you know.  It’s not strange to me.  I wasn’t always an Einherjar.”

 

“It... it doesn’t piss me off, Billy.  It’s just confusing.  I spend so much time trying to barely pass as a woman, and sometimes I can’t even do that - and then someone who looks so fucking gorgeous as you do says I’m cute, I guess I just don’t know if I can believe it, you know.  Like you’re having a joke at my expense, or trying to make me feel better - especially when compared to how Alley turned out.”   Stephanie sniffed a bit.  Stupid tears!  She thought.  I guess my self confidence isn’t as good as I thought.  “I just needed to know if you were serious about that.”

 

Billy looked into her eyes - and Stephanie could feel herself melting under his gaze.  She barely heard when he answered her.  “Totally serious, boss.   I don’t joke about stuff like that - ever.”   He looked away, and the effect he had on Stephanie broke with his gaze.   “I don’t play with people’s emotions like a game.  It’s not right.  It’s the easiest way in the world to hurt someone and end a friendship.”

 

Stephanie gulped air, recovering from the effect Billy’s gaze had over her.   She took a moment to compose herself, and continued.  “Thanks Billy – it’s good to know that.  But could you lay off the offers with Alley for a few days till she’s had some time to adjust to her change - I don’t want her having to worry about whether her sexual preference may have changed or not, or dealing with extra stress, okay?”

 

“No problem, Stephanie.”  Billy said.  “Anything else?”

 

“Yeah - who were you before you were an Einherjar?  What did you do?  Where did you grow up?   Do you still have family?  All that stuff.”

 

“It’s too much to go into in one night, boss.”  Billy said, trying to change the subject.  “I grew up in northern Ontario, in a city called North Bay.  I hunted and fished a bit, and when I was 18 I got the hell out and joined the army, just like my dad had and my grandpa had when they were young men.  He even drove me to the recruitment center.  My mom left us when I was young - I guess she felt she didn’t have any reason to stay - so I was raised mostly by my dad, and by my cousin Jeannie.   I miss them a lot.”

 

“Do they know you’re alive?”  Steph asked.

 

“I’m not alive, Steph.  I’m kind of alive - but not really.  I died - and now I’m a solidified creature of spirit.   It’s against the rules for me to talk to them.”

 

“Look, Billy, as far as I’m concerned you’re alive.  You breathe, talk, bitch, hurt and get hungry just like the rest of us - and dead people don’t do any of that.  I don’t care about the technicalities.  So I’m going to give you an order - and if I catch shit, I’ll take the blame - not you.  Call your dad.  Tell him you’re okay.  Talk to him as long as you want, about whatever you want - and tell him when we get back to North America, well come and visit him so he can see you.”

 

Billy’s look was pure shock.  She can’t be for real!  He thought.  “Re...really?”  He asked.  “Thank you, Stephanie!  Thank you!   I’ll call him right now - in my room.  Thanks.”  I need to call dad - I might not get another chance for a long time.  I can’t believe she’ll actually go visit... what the hell will I tell him?  Sorry I can’t stay, but I died and went to heaven, but now I’m enslaved to another person and I’m back for a vacation?  Oh hell!  Billy didn’t think about it twice; he got up and went to his room, closed the door and called his dad.

 

*              *              *

 

Alley stood in the bathroom, staring at herself in the mirror.  She had stripped her clothes off - and as she removed the track suit, it had returned to its normal form of a light jacket - and saw her new body in the mirror for the first time.  It’s real.  She thought.  I’m not dreaming!  I’m really Alley.  Oh. My. God.  Eeeeeee!   Alley’s mental squee was enough to give even herself pause.  It’s a miracle!   I’ll have to thank mom, when I see her next.   I can’t believe how BIG everything looks now... I only lost about six inches - why does everything look so much bigger?  She felt so small that she might blow away in a stiff breeze.

 

Alley sighed and began to wet the washcloth for her sponge bath.  This should be interesting, she thought.  As she started scrubbing, Alley noticed a few things pretty quick... First, her skin was more sensitive than it used to be, and that she really, really liked that.   In fact, after a few minutes of washing, she felt very flushed, and warm and wet in places she wasn’t used to feeling warm or wet.  This is different... nice, but different, she thought.  I’ll have to explore more later.  Alley felt sleek - like a cat, not bulky and always tired or hurting.  In fact, it was amazing just how good she felt.  I’m not even a bit tired, she thought.  I’m not hungry either.  Why?  I feel like a million bucks!  She decided she preferred the new her.  I just hope I haven’t screwed things up with Steph.  She muttered to herself.  

 

She could hear Steph and Billy talking still, and decided to give them a bit more time.  I wonder what they’re talking about?  Probably me, or Billy.  Did I really say ‘maybe later’ to Billy?  Alley sat and thought about it - about whether she liked men or women - and came to the realization she wasn’t absolutely sure which she liked.  Maybe I like both?  I still love Stephanie, and she turns me on - but when Billy picked me up like that - swept me off my feet, I could swear I was seconds away from swooning!   I think I like both.  I guess I’m Bi now?   I wonder what else I’ll discover in the next few days?

 

Alley took her new breasts in her hands - they were large enough, without being either huge or small - and looked nice, but they felt like heavy pieces of meat.  No wonder ladies need bras with these things.  I guess I’m going to need a few of those too, now.  I hope they’re not too annoying to get used to.  She thought.   Oh hell – I’m going to need to learn so much stuff, my brain will melt.  Visions of Stephanie trying to teach her how to use makeup and other feminine tasks danced through her imagination until she felt a bit overloaded.  Later.  I’ll deal with all that later.  Baby steps.

 

Billy and Steph seemed to have stopped talking by now, so she quickly finished up her bath, wondering if Stephanie or Billy would have a joke about how long she spent in here, and what she was doing.   I probably would have, so if they do, I guess it’s fair.  She got up slowly, favoring her injured feet, and left the bathroom.

 

*              *              *

 

Stephanie saw Alley come out of the bathroom, and gasped...  With all the dirt and mud and blood washed off, she didn’t look just cute - she looked gorgeous.  Stephanie could only stare in awe, and feel more than a bit jealous at her boyfriends’ fortune.   “You look amazing, Alley.”  She said.

 

“I... I do?”  Alley said.  She was obviously a little worried about Stephanie’s reaction.  “Thanks... I think I look pretty good too.  Where’s Billy?”

 

“I found out he has family still alive, so I ordered him to call his dad and talk to him for as long as he wanted to.”

 

“Is that okay?  I mean for dead people to call the living?”  Alley asked.

 

“Don’t know.  Don’t care.  If nothing else, he should be able to say goodbye.  And if we happen to visit his home town when were back in Canada, and he happens to see his dad for a few hours, well – that’s just coincidence.  I’m sure we can find a good reason to be in North Bay.”   Stephanie smiled.

 

“Bigfoot.  We could be hunting for nasty titan-bigfoots.”  Alley laughed.  “Good idea.  I suppose we should learn more about Billy - and the sprites too.”

 

“Yeah - for a while I was thinking of Billy as a helper and servant, not a person - and it sucked.  I feel bad I screwed up, and I’m trying to make it up to him with the phone call thing.   How are you doing, love?”  Stephanie asked.

 

“Good.  Weird, but good.   I guess I’ll have a lot to learn, huh?”

 

“So much your head will explode.”  Steph said, laughing.  “But you don’t have to learn it all in one day, or even in one year.  It takes time and practice - and a lot of what you think you need to learn is just common sense and not much different from being a guy - but a lot is so different it’s like learning a foreign language.”

 

“Heh.  Oh well - what do they say?  In for a penny, in for a pound?”  Alley said.  “What about you and I, hon?   Has anything changed there?”

 

“Well, yes - and no.  There’s the glaringly obvious change - but other than that I still love you.  Hell, I’m worried sick you don’t love me anymore, and that you’ll be chasing guys soon.   You aren’t planning on it, are you?” Stephanie asked, only partly joking.

 

“No!  I think I like guys AND girls now, but I’m not planning on chasing anyone but you.  You know I wish this had happened to you too, Steph.”  Alley said, touching her girlfriends cheek with the palm of her hand, caressing it.  “I know how much you want this.  It should have happened to you first.  Are you mad?”

 

“I don’t know...  I’m jealous - but mad?  No.  I wish it was me too, but not at your expense.  You’re frigging gorgeous, half my age, and I barely pass.  I look like your tranny mom.  This fucking sucks.”   Stephanie sniffed a tear.   “I love you.”

 

“I love you too, Steph.   Maybe your mom will do something similar?”  Alley said, trying to cheer Stephanie up.

 

“Maybe, love.  Maybe.  We can hope?”  Stephanie grasped Alleys smaller hand, and squeezed it.  “I’m gonna grab a quick shower.  Did you want to still sleep in the same bed?”

 

“Of course.  I may look different, but that hasn’t changed.   Are you going to be okay with me being a girl?”  Alley asked.

 

“Yeah.  I’ll be fine.  I’ll see you soon.”

 

Stephanie rose and went to the shower.  Standing in front of the mirror, she looked at herself, and she couldn’t help but compare herself to the young goddess in the other room.   We can hope.  She thought.  I hope.  Stephanie turned on the water, and stepped into the shower.  The smooth sluicing of the water helped her clear her thoughts - and she started to pray.  “Please, mom.  I don’t know if you’re listening - but what happened to Alley... if there’s any magic left for me, could I have that too?  I don’t know how to pray to you, mom - but it’s the only thing I ever wanted.  I even dream about it.  Please.  I need it.”  She fell to her knees in the shower, and hung her head, praying “Please... please...” over and over.  Stephanie was grateful for the shower and the sound of the sluicing water - it helped mask her tears, and the running water, her sobs.

 

2