Chapter 24 – The Cave (Stephanie’s Trial, Part 3)
125 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stephanie woke up, feeling Alley nibbling on her ear.   “Good morning, love.”  She said, rolling over to face her girlfriend.  ‘How you doing, after yesterday?”

 

Alley pulled back and smiled.  “Okay I guess.  We’ll have a lot to talk about once today is over... assuming it goes well, I mean.   What do you think of yesterday?”

 

“I’m a little confused, actually.”  Steph answered.  “I assume you’re into boys now too?”

 

Alley smiled wryly.  “It looks that way.  It surprised me, let me tell you.  Part of me says ‘ewww’ and part of me says ‘mrowr!’ and I’m not sure which part to listen to yet.   I really wasn’t mad yesterday though.   Is there room in our relationship for Billy too?  That prophecy thing he was hit with is kinda messed up - I mean, how do you have two true loves - I thought that sort of thing was one on one only, if it was even real in the first place?”

 

“I dunno, Alley.  If he really does have feelings for both of us, it’s really going to complicate things unless we sort out how to deal with it.   What do you want to do about it?”

 

“Me?  Why do you want to know my opinion?   What about you - he kissed you first.”  Alley responded.

 

“And I asked you first.”  Steph added.  “Still, I don’t know.  I do like him, a lot - but I don’t want to give you up.”

 

“Why give either of us up?  What if we shared him - you know, between us?”  Even as Alley said the thoughts, her face blushed red.   I can’t believe I just said that, she thought.  It would solve the problem though, assuming we both liked Billy, wouldn’t it?

 

Stephanie sputtered a moment - if she’d been drinking it would have been a classic spit-take - and blushed red herself.   “We just can’t - you don’t do stuff like that...”

 

“Why not?”  Alley asked.  “Gods do stuff like that all the time in stories - and were baby gods.  Why not?   It’s not like you’re trying to impress your parents, or me mine for god’s sake.  If we care about each other, and we want to, what’s bad about it?  Is it religion?  Cause I’m not sure the Christian ideal of marriage is going to apply to either of us, seeing that were both from completely different pantheons.   I don’t know about you, but I can’t think of a reason to do anything that doesn’t make me happy.”

 

Stephanie thought a minute. She - Alley - was being serious!  Could we share Billy - or even someone else, should they come along?  What was stopping them, aside from society’s disapproval.   Did she even care about society anymore - she was on the road to becoming someone outside of society... A Scion that hunted monsters, and preserved the human race - and if she survived, she wouldn’t even be human one day – she’d be an immortal spirit.   Did society’s rules of conduct even apply to her anymore?   Stephanie wasn’t sure - it was a little dark and scary going down that road - she felt it could lead to some pretty destructive behaviour if she wasn’t careful.   But maybe Alley was right.

 

Stephanie chose her words carefully.  “I don’t intend to do anything that doesn’t make me happy either - but we’ve got more to think about that just what you or I want.  What if Billy only wants one of us?  What if we decide we don’t want to share Billy anymore, and it breaks us up?   I think IF we proceed with this, we should be cautious - and be prepared for it not to work.  Anything else, I think, will lead to hard feelings and broken hearts.”   She sighed.  “I like Billy a lot, Alley - but this relationship you’re describing is a little outside the pale for me - I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever even considered something like this - have you?”

 

“You know I don’t talk about my parents much, right?”  Alley asked.

 

Steph nodded.  “You never have – it’s kind of been off limits.  Why?”

 

“They’re kind of messed up.  I’ve got two moms and two dads - I kinda grew up in what seemed like a crèche - I had 9 brothers and sisters, from different parents and we all were raised together.  It didn’t matter that I was Mike and Sheila’s kid - cause David and Cathy treated me and the others just like their own.  It was a loving way to be raised - knowing it didn’t matter who your parent was, just that there were these really loving people who all loved you.  They were all my parents - and it wasn’t weird or evil or wrong.  It was just a family - an odd type of family that most people never see.  There was no religion involved - it wasn’t some sect or cult - it was just four people who loved each other so much they wanted to share all their lives together, as a family.   It wasn’t legal - I suppose I’d be considered a bastard, since none of them were married - but they didn’t give a rats ass - and neither do I.”

 

Stephanie was amazed.  I’ve never heard that story before... I wonder why she’s never shared it?   “How come you never talk about them, love?”

 

“It didn’t end well, Stephanie... Not because of the family - but because violence and drugs and murder got involved, and when the dust settled, only me and five of my siblings were still alive.  We were split up, and sent to different foster homes - I still keep in touch with Samantha and Kieran, but the others drifted apart.  It’s too painful to talk about most times.”

 

Stephanie realized that somewhere in that speech, Alley had started tearing up, and her voice was sounding very emotional.  She reached out and gave her lover a hug, holding her close and feeling her warmth.  “It’s okay, Alley.  If you want, well talk about it later - otherwise, don’t worry about it.  I love you.”

 

“I love you too, Steph.”  Alley whispered.  “Thanks for not pushing for more - I don’t think I can talk about it yet.”

 

Stephanie nodded.   “After yesterday, maybe this discussion was too much.  What if we table your idea until we know we both survived the day?   I suppose it could work - but we’d have to be careful and make sure he was on board.  Aren’t you worried about what people would think?”

 

“Not really - fuck ‘em for all I care.  All I care about is how the people I love feel about it.  Who cares what some strangers think?   I mean, you do – it’s obvious you do - but I guess the question you’ll need to answer is do you care enough about what other people think to NOT be happy?  I don’t think you do - or you never would have started transitioning.”

 

Stephanie couldn’t deny Alley had a point.   She had long ago decided to ignore people’s expectations when she could - but it was a lot harder to put into practice than it was to say it.   When it came down to the crunch, she wondered if she could have Alleys strength of will to say damn everyone – I’ll live my life my way.   “I’ll think about that, hon.  Maybe I sometimes care too much about other people’s opinions.  I’ll work on it.”

 

The two hugged, and got ready for the day.  As they rose and began to dress, they could hear Billy coming out of his room and greeting the Sprites.  He sounded pretty chipper to both of them - so they figured he got a decent night’s sleep.

 

“Urgh... Where are the girls, Rose?’  Billy asked.   “It looked like Stump, Thorn and Petal were sleeping - they must have been on guard last night.  Thistle was sitting and watching the television.”

 

“They’re still in bed, Billy.”  Rose replied.  She grinned a bit and added “Would you like to go wake them?”

 

Damn right I would, thought Billy.  I just don’t think they’d want to see me, after yesterday.  Damn it.  “Nah - too much drama for today, Rosie – we’ve got a full plate with a cave full of Lindwurm.”   Billy tried to hide his stress and emotions behind a bland face, but from Roses reaction he wasn’t doing a very good job.

 

“They like you, Mr. Billy.”  Rose said.   “And even though you sometimes get mistress Alley annoyed, we like you too.”

 

“Thanks Rose.”  Billy said, tousling what passed for Roses hair  the tiny red petals that gave her her name.  “I appreciate that - I thought I got under Thorns skin a bit much.”

 

“You did, Mr. Billy - but Thorn is too proud sometimes - and taking him down a peg was both amusing and well deserved.   You seem like a good man.”

 

Billy reddened at the compliment, and coughed a little nervously, sitting down at the table to wait for the girls to get up.   Thankfully, he didn’t have long - Stephanie and Alley emerged within moments of him sitting down.  

 

“Morning.”  Steph called out.  “You ready for today?”

 

“Me?  I guess so – it’s your gig though, Steph.”  Billy replied.   “It’s more appropriate for me to ask you if you’re ready.”

 

“He’s got you there, Steph!”  Alley laughed.   “What’s the plan?”

 

“You mean after we eat something?”  Billy asked.  “We drive out to nearby the cave, approach from below, climbing a steep hill to the cave mouth.  Then, the Sprites and I stand back and act as support, while you and Stephanie go inside the cave and kill the monster - barring any changes to the plan Steph is making, of course.”

 

“I’m still working on that.”  Steph said, looking thoughtful.  “We don’t exactly have a lot of resources - other than you, Billy, and the Sprites.   I have an idea though.”

 

“What is it, boss?”  Billy asked.

 

“We dig a line of punji stakes - we can by sharpened stakes at the home renovation place in town - and use the sprites - if Alley will allow me to - to lure the beast outside in a rage, where it will hopefully impale itself on the spikes, the sprites will get away, and all three of the rest of us will fall upon it with hacking and slashing - whereupon I hope it dies.”  Steph smirked.  “And in case it’s not hurt bad by the stakes, I suggest we make a few molotov cocktails from some high quality hooch, so we can torch the thing if needed.  If it can’t breathe fire, it might not be immune to fire.”

 

“There’s just one problem with that plan.”  Billy said.  “It’s October in Norway - the ground is frozen solid.  So no Punji stakes.  The rest sounds good though.  Another thought - if we don’t lure it outside, I should be able to use my assault rifle - the sound shouldn’t carry to people outside the cave if were deep inside it - oh it’ll echo inside, but it won’t go far from the cave mouth, which means less chance of police and all that stuff.”

 

Alley nodded.  “That idea sounds better than putting my little guys and gals at risk Steph - a dragon or Lindwurm or whatever could probably swallow one of them whole if they get unlucky.”

 

“Yeah,” Stephanie said.  “That does sound like a better plan.  Let’s go with that.  Billy... thanks.   I may bust your chops at times, but you’ve been a good friend and you’ve been teaching me a lot.  Thanks.”   She gave Billy a thankful look, and smiled.

 

Billy’s return smile seemed a mile wide.  “No problem at all, Boss.”

 

*              *              *

 

Two hours, a breakfast meal and a short car ride later, the three heroes - Alley, Steph and Billy, stood at the base of the steep hill leading up to the hillside lindwurm cave.  Thorn and the other sprites had spread out to act as guards and to shout warnings if any local humans such as police wandered by, or in case they found the lindwurm first.  

 

Billy had loaned Stephanie his kite shield and bearded axe, and was armed with his assault rifle and a hunting knife, and a chainmail shirt.  Alley had her mother’s gifts, which should prove quite potent as well - Alley looked pretty assured wrapped in ‘Mothers Hug’ - her armor that could change shape.  Today it looked like a normal pastel colored windbreaker with long sleeves and a hood.  Stephanie had a thick leather jacket for protection - not much, but better than nothing.  As the trio approached the cave mouth, they could all see the deep scratches the lindwurm’s claws had made in the local rocks while sharpening its talons.  They could also smell the stink of reptile from the cave - it was obvious the cave was not abandoned.

 

Alley motioned to Thorn, who flitted over.  “Thorn, I want you guys to cover our retreat - make sure we’re not going to crawl out of that cave all bloody and such, and run into some locals or cops.  Knock them out if you have to, but don’t kill anyone.”

 

“Yes, Mistress!”  Thorn replied.  “I’ll tell the others.  Thistle and Petal will be helpful if we have to subdue some mortals.”

 

“Good.  Get to it.”

 

Meanwhile Billy was handing out flashlights and duct tape.  They had invested in a small movie camera - the kind skydivers wear when jumping out of a plane - and duct-taped it to Stephanie’s leather jacket (for posterity, she said).   They also taped the flashlights to their forearms, so they wouldn’t drop them.   Billy was carrying medical supplies, and the sprites knew where a litter and backboard was concealed near the car, in case it was needed.  There was also a bottle of 15 year old single malt scotch - for sterilization purposes with the backboard... Billy insisted.  He also claimed it served extra duty as anaesthetic if needed, and as a victory libation as well.  

 

“Everyone ready?”  Billy asked.  “If it’s awake, it probably knows were here.”

 

“Yeah, I guess.”  Alley said.  She held out her hand and concentrated, and a seven foot long spear of iron-hard wood formed in her hand.  “This should help a lot too.”

 

“Heh.” Stephanie laughed.  “I wonder if I’ll get a kickass magic weapon like you did if I survive?”

 

“Maybe.”  Billy said.  “Maybe you’ll get something cooler or stranger.  Did you ever figure out what the loot from Greyfang’s cave did?”

 

Stephanie realized that in the shock of Alleys change, and their travel from Stuttgart to Norway, she had forgotten about that strange wand of ebony capped with a skull - and from the look on Alleys face, she’d mostly forgotten about the jade monkey amulet too - even though she was wearing it most days.   “D’oh!”  She laughed.  “I guess I’ll have to get onto that if we make it.  Sorry.”

 

“Yeah, same here.”  Alley said.  “I think this necklace is special, but I haven’t taken the time to learn how.”

 

“Next time, make sure to know what the stuff you carry does - it might be what saves your life or stops the badguys.”  Billy said.  ‘Too late now – we’d better get going.”

 

They crept inside the cave, Stephanie with Billy’s axe and shield in the front, with Alley in the next rank, aiming her spear over Stephanie’s shoulder.  Billy followed behind with his assault rifle equipped and ready...  As they descended into the cave, Thorn and the others called back well wishes, and turned to guard their backs.

 

The cave was dark and stank of lizard - a dry musky smell that infiltrated their noses and burned a little.  Its scat smelled strongly of ammonia, and the cave was somewhat cramped outside the well worn path it had slowly created in the floor over the years.  It was impossible to tell how old or large it was by the size of the cave, but after being inside for a bit, Billy was suspecting it wasn’t one of the really big ones.   “I think were in luck.”  He said.  “It’s probably a standard Lindwurm - a dangerous critter, but not one of the fire-breathing monsters from legend.  We may survive this after all.”  He said with a smirk.

 

“Awesome.”  Steph replied.  I hope he’s right.  I’m so scared right now I’m practically wetting myself.   Steph knew she wasn’t scared much of losing - if she lost, she’d be dead - she was scared of Alley and Billy being hurt for her, or of leaving Alley alone.

 

As they climbed deeper and deeper into the cave, the smell got stronger - and they heard a rasping hiss from deeper inside.  The cave had stopped descending and had levelled off, and they began to see bits of chewed bones - deer, elk and other animals - scattered about.  “Sounds like we’re almost there.”  Steph whispered.

 

“Shhh.”  Billy said.  “It’ll probably smell us before it sees or hears us - but let’s not give it a hand.”  He thumbed the assault rifle to burst fire - full auto in these caves would be too wild, too risky - too much chance of a deadly ricochet.

 

They moved forward, following the trail of claw marks and wear on the stone, and came to the mouth of a larger chamber - a cave perhaps 35 feet across, and 12-15 feet high, and roughly L shaped.   The glitter and reflection of gold, silver and sparkles of gems winked through the darkness from their flashlights - and Stephanie saw it - the Lindwurm.

 

The Lindwurm was huge - like the size of a Clydesdale - and was long and slender, more like an immense iguana crossed with a crocodile, rather than a komodo dragon, which is what Stephanie had assumed it would be like.  It was about 30 feet from nose to tail.  The Lindwurm was resting on the pile of ancient Norse gold and silver, and behind it on the pile of gold, Stephanie could see a rune covered box of white ash.   Oh my god!  She thought.  My dream!  It’s happening!   Thank you mom, thank you!   I won’t fail you - or myself.  Stephanie steeled herself for what came next - she knew if she didn’t survive and vanquish this beast, she might lose her chance to be whole forever.   I’m not going to let that happen... she thought.  Not while I still draw breath.  She gripped Billy’s axe - her knuckles white.  “Bring it, Wurm!”  She called. 

 

Alley gasped at the sight of the Lindwurm, and readied her spear - while Billy stepped to one side to get a clear firing line, and crouched down to aim.  All this happened as if in slow motion, and the two heroines readied for battle - and Alley could feel time seem to slow down once more as she felt her reflexes speed up - like when she fought Greyfang.  She crouched, and braced her left foot behind the butt of the spear, setting it in case the Lindwurm charged.  They didn’t have to wait long.

 

The Lindwurm rose from its bed of gold and silver, coins, cups and jewels sliding down to the floor as it climbed off its precious bed.  It rasped a deep throated roar - and Steph could see its jaws stretch wide - wide enough to probably swallow a full sized human being.   It roared, and charged, lumbering across the cave floor with unnatural speed, even with its odd lizard-like gait.

 

Billy tracked the Lindwurm as it charged Stephanie, and fired off a three-round burst of rifle fire - the report of the gun sounding incredibly loud inside the cave - indeed, Billy could see Alley and Stephanie wince in pain as the crack of the gun firing hurt their ears.   Billy winced too - but was far more used to the sound than either of the two heroines.   The trio of bullets hit somewhere on the beasts flank, and much to his dismay the bullets had little effect - two bullets just deformed and deflected off its hide, while the other penetrated but caused only a minor flesh wound.  Damn!  I was hoping it would affect it more.  “Shit!”

 

Then, the Lindwurm charged into the ranks of Stephanie and Alley - and Alley’s spear rose up to try and impale it.  As it reached their ranks, she muttered a quick prayer... “Danu, mom, give me strength!”   The spear struck home, and she felt her pull upon the strength of her growing legend...  Die damn you, die!  She thought - and the spear stabbed deep into the creature’s neck.  Hot blood sprayed out and spattered on Stephanie’s borrowed kite shield, and the creature screamed in pain as it attempted to bite the human who challenged it... Stephanie.

 

The wurm moved with inhuman speed, and pushed past Alleys spear, biting down on Billy’s kite shield, which Steph was only barely able to raise in time.  The shield took the brunt of the creature’s first attack, but it would never be the same - the shield was splintered and shattered - so Steph pulled it off her arm, and wielded the bearded axe with both hands. 

 

Steph felt the bloodlust rise up within her - her vision going red, her focus narrowing to nothing but the Lindwurm.  She screamed wordlessly in rage, then raised the axe.  “For Asgard!”  She screamed, and brought the axe down, and connected strongly, the axe biting deep into the creature’s neck, and hot blood sprayed on both her and Alley as the beast screamed and writhed, shaking its head back and forth to dislodge the painful axe. 

 

The Lindwurm was moving slower - it was obviously injured - and for a brief moment, Stephanie thought she could sense something hovering above it - at first she wasn’t sure what it was, and then she realized what it looked like... for a moment, she could see what appeared to be a representation of the Lindwurm’s health bar, for lack of a better term... like she could see its health - and she saw they had hurt it pretty good.   The vision faded, and she readied herself to strike again.

 

Billy aimed for the wurm’s neck, but turned away and shot at its flank at the last moment.  It’s too near Stephanie - I don’t want to hit her!   The burst of bullets once again scratched the hide of the creature and inflicted a minor flesh wound.  This fucking sucks!  He thought.  I don’t have the tricks to make guns worth the effort against a legendary creature.  I’m practically useless here.  Dammit!

 

Alley took a step forward to stand next to Stephanie, and thrust hard with her spear, trying to stab it in the mouth where its armor was less thick.  The sharpened spear skittered across its hide before sliding into the creature’s mouth - but the hide of the beast was too tough; it did little more than provide the creature with a toothpick.  She released the spear, and in moments it turned to woody mulch.   “Cool.  This thing is a lot less dangerous than Greyfang was - or is it that I’m a lot MORE dangerous?  Either way, I’ll take it.”  Alley grinned.  “We can take it Steph, c’mon!”

 

“You got it!”  Steph yelled, trying to take another swing - this time a low chop to one of its legs.  Before she could react the Lindwurm leapt towards her, and smashed her with its front claws, trying to knock her to the ground.  Steph gave a yell, and fell - and the Lindwurm took the initiative and bit down on her shoulder.  Steph screamed as the beast bit deep into her shoulder, severing tendon and muscle.  She could feel her blood flowing down her side and arm, and she felt the shock of the pain rip through her.  She didn’t need a doctor to know she was hurt bad - really bad.  She couldn’t feel her left arm - it was hanging limp, just flopping around as the creature tried to rip it off her body.  Steph screamed in agony and slashed with Billy’s axe, trying to take one of the lindwurm’s eyes.  The blow somehow hit, and she gasped as the pain of the blow rang through her arm...  But she had done it - the creature pulled back, releasing her as it fled, and she fell to the floor with a bloody thump and a groan.  Its left eye was nothing but a ruin of flesh and dripping blood. 

 

Partially blinded, the Wurm tried to circle to get a better view of its enemies - while Billy tried to stay out of its field of vision, and Alley stood protectively over her lover, Steph.   Billy screamed in rage, and flicked the rifle over to fully automatic.  “Steph!  Stay down!”  He screamed, and levelled the gun at the small dragon.  Bullets tore through the air in a withering stream, and Alley and Steph were deafened by the loud report of the rifle - and once again, many bullets were deflected off its hide - but a few did strike it this time, and injure it.  It was bleeding from perhaps a half-dozen wounds, some more serious that the others.  

 

Alley screamed in rage, and thrust her newly-formed spear towards the creatures other eye!  She charged it, attacking it in full force in her attempt to blind it - and stabbed it fiercely.  The blow missed the eye, but dug deep into the side of its head, and the wurm screamed as Alley pierced what she thought might be the creatures ears or the area it used to hear.   It staggered in pain, its movements slowed from the pain of its injuries.   It seemed on its last legs.

 

The Lindwurm roared, and tried to bite Alley, going for one of her legs, and Alley screamed in pain as the Lindwurm bit through the leg of her jeans, and took a chunk out of her leg.  She staggered and fell to one knee.  “Aaagh!”  She couldn’t stand on it - it hurt too much.  The pain was making her eyes water - but her ability to stiffen her skin, make herself tougher seemed to reduce the lethality of the bite from deadly to simply painful.   The Lindwurm dragged her sideways, dragging Alley over the rough cave floor as if trying to shake her to pieces.

 

Stephanie dragged herself to her feet, crying in pain.  “I’m not going to lose to this thing!  This is my moment - I HAVE to beat it.  I HAVE TO.”  She stood, blood pouring from her ruined arm, and grabbed the bearded axe with one hand.  I’ve only got one more chance - if it hits me again, I’m done.  She ran towards the Lindwurm, and raised her axe to strike, aiming for the wound she had started on the creatures’ neck.  With its blinded eye, it didn’t see her coming, and didn’t even try to move out of her path.  “Alley!”  She screamed, and the axe came down.  Then Stephanie felt it - the pull of her growing legend - and channelled that strength into the power of her blow - this thing would die!   The axe struck it in the slit her previous blow had caused, and sunk in deep - the Lindwurms scream was short and pained as the blade of the axe severed its larynx and trachea, and it keeled over, coughing and bleeding.  It took two steps - and died, collapsing to the ground.

 

Steph staggered after it, like a fighter jet following its prey in for the kill.  When it dropped, she stood and turned back to the horde and Alley and Billy.  “We did it.”  She said, deadpan - she looked pale from blood loss, and it was obvious she was very, very hurt.   Stephanie could see the box - the prize she had been seeking all these years - the prize that had taunted her in her dreams to the point where she thought she would die if she couldn’t have it.   “At last.  At last, I can find out what’s inside...”  The pain of her injury overtook her - She took a single step towards the box - and collapsed on the floor, unconscious and bleeding out.

 

 

3