78. The Coup
452 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ship sailed swiftly through the water, its sails billowing in the wind as the crew worked tirelessly to maintain their top speed. The evening was descending upon them, but their journey continued with unwavering determination.

Freed from the confines of the barrel, Bruno and the others found their designated spot under the deck, a small area set aside for them to rest after their arduous escape. Three hammocks stretched between sturdy wooden beams, providing a semblance of comfort. A mug of beer, a handful of dried food, and an oil lantern cast a warm glow in their corner, creating a temporary haven. They relished the ability to stretch their legs and relax, finally free from the constant threat of pursuit. However, they remained cautious of the sailors around them, unable to speak openly and freely.

Sitting on the floor with his back against the ship's wooden wall, Mamadou whispered quietly, ensuring no one else was within earshot. Shadows danced across his face, as the dim light only illuminated his moving lips. Barrels, bags, and crates filled with supplies surrounded them in the ship's hold, offering a shield of concealment but also occasional interruptions when crew members entered the area. Yet, there were pockets of time conducive to private conversation.

"One step away," were the words carried by his barely audible voice.

From his position in one of the hammocks, Bruno strained to catch what he said, relying on the faint light. The lantern, suspended from a wooden beam by a single nail, provided the sole source of illumination, its feeble glow casting elongated shadows and leaving most of its surroundings in obscurity.

Expressing his unease, the young alchemist voiced his concerns, "I don't like leaving everything to Vere. I hate that we are not in control."

"Trust him. He knows what he is doing. Besides, we are the ones under suspicion, not him," Mamadou reassured, attempting to allay Bruno's apprehension. "He will fulfill his part, and soon enough, we will slip out of the old man's grasp."

"I hope you're right. I would prefer if everything went smoothly because the alternative is..." The young alchemist trailed off, his voice tinged with apprehension. "I counted the sailors. There are around a hundred people on this ship. Some are well-armed. If things take a turn for the worse, it's going to escalate quickly."

"We will succeed. We've overcome worse odds. We have achieved the impossible," Javohir chimed in, joining the conversation. Lying in a neighboring hammock, he reclined with both hands beneath his head, his elbows splayed wide, radiating a sense of confidence and ease.

Unresponsive to Javohir's comment, Bruno and Mamadou shared an unspoken agreement to conclude the conversation, recognizing the futility of dwelling on naive notions. They fell into a comfortable silence, their minds preoccupied with the imminent task at hand.

Meanwhile, In the captain's quarters, Vere observed Hallel's reaction to the news of their journey to Sah'mat by ship. The tall man was taken aback by how well she accepted the information, but then a realization struck him—there had never been a moment when she didn't yearn to escape the confines of the tower that had held her captive for so long.

A fleeting smile flickered across his face, acknowledging the resilience within the princess which allowed her to gain what she desired. However, he quickly refocused his thoughts. There was a plan to execute, and the weight of responsibility rested squarely on his shoulders.

Gazing at Hallel conversing with Hadiza, who sat on a chair by her side, Vere absorbed the scene for a moment longer before leaving to find Captain Adir. He located him standing at the ship's helm, overseeing the sails and the bustling crew below.

"How much longer until we reach the capital?" Vere inquired, drawing Adir's attention as he approached from behind.

"At this speed? Probably two days, assuming we don't encounter any unexpected obstacles, gods forbid. And I don't just mean pirates," the Captain replied, his tone laced with concern. "How is she?"

"She is content to be returning to the capital. There shouldn't be any issues. Just hold off on informing the crew until tomorrow," Vere responded.

Adir nodded, a heavy sigh escaping him. "They already sense that something is different, so questions will arise eventually. But I'll withhold the answers until tomorrow."

With that settled, Vere retraced his steps back to the quarters. Instead of taking a chair, he settled on the floor in a corner, his gaze fixated on the door. He waited patiently as darkness fell, and Hadiza ignited one of the lamps, casting a warm glow around the room.

At that moment, their eyes briefly met, and the maid offered a subtle nod of acknowledgment before refocusing her attention on the still figure of the princess lying in bed. The sedative she had administered seemed to linger in Hallel's system, exerting its calming influence even after her initial awakening.

The time had come. Vere stood up, approached the door, and made his way back to the captain, who remained stationed behind the wheel. Drawing close enough to stand beside him, the tall man spoke, capturing Adir's attention.

"Can we talk? Inside," he requested, gesturing toward the cabin.

„Yeah. Is it about the Princess? Is she unwell?” the sailor asked, but he didn't receive any response. This prompted him to call for someone to take over his duties as he followed the tall man into the captain's cabin. "What is going on?" the naval officer inquired, closing the door behind him.

Vere remained silent, instead retrieving two chairs and placing them facing each other before taking a seat. With a gesture, he invited Adir to do the same.

"We need to have a very important discussion," he said to the sailor.

"About what?" the captain asked, briefly glancing toward Hadiza and Hallel.

"I told you about the coup, and I mentioned that the three individuals in your hold need to reach the king to share what they know. But there's more to it than that. We possess additional knowledge. I kept it from you while we were still in port, not willing to take any risk of the information leaking and falling into the wrong hands," Vere explained, ensuring his voice remained low so as not to disturb the princess's repose.

"Understandable," Adir nodded. "But how did you come to find out about this betrayal?"

"It's Mamun. He aims to seize control of the kingdom, and he has an army of magic users. Through an undisclosed process, he has granted ordinary people powers they didn't possess before. I know this because someone who was involved in his scheme managed to escape and revealed everything to me," Vere disclosed.

"Are you certain it's the truth?" the captain questioned. "This... This could be a fabrication. I know you hold a grudge against the archmage, but... he never struck me as someone capable of such actions…"

"I am certain. There's more to this story, but that information is solely meant for the king's ears," Vere added.

"Now I understand why you were unwilling to wait for the army to escort the princess. If it truly is the archmage, his influence could extend even within the ranks of the royal guards of Exalos," the captain nodded. "Nevertheless... this is so shocking. I always thought he was a patriot."

"He is not. Now that you know whom we are up against, you should also realize that it won't be easy to transport the princess to Sah'mat, even with the head start we've gained. They likely already know she is missing," the tall man pointed out.

"Yes, but what choice do we have?" Adir asked, sighing heavily.

There is one," said Vere. "But it's difficult. Even for me, it was difficult to consider. I'm still very concerned about this path, but it's currently our best option, considering everything. Even if we were to dock in Sah'mat, there is still a long journey to the castle through territory where the archmage could easily attack us."

"Just say it," the captain interrupted. "I'll do my best, whatever it is. The safety of the princess is our priority. After all, she is the sole successor to the throne."

"We need to seek out the pirates and strike a deal with them to keep the princess safe and deal with Mamun while she is away. Otherwise, he will triumph," Vere spoke the words, observing the captain's widening eyes and agape mouth, clear signs of shock.

"That's... That's... I can't do that," mumbled Adir, shaking his head.

"I understand your concerns," said Vere. "But considering everything... The information I mentioned... I wish I could explain, but it's only for the king's ears."

"I understand the situation is dire, but... That's not the way, Vere. We can't make a pact with pirates," the captain glanced briefly towards Hallel, then locked his gaze on the tall man.

At first, there was no response. It seemed as if the personal guard of the princess was searching for words, his gaze dropping momentarily. But in a split second, everything changed. A blade materialized in Vere's hand. Adir leaped to his feet, but the dagger found its mark before he could evade it. The sharp tip plunged deep into the base of his neck, piercing through his mouth and reaching into his brain. Vere's firm hand pressed on the captain's shoulder, ensuring the knife went all the way in, then moved to cover his mouth and nose.

As Adir's life slipped away, the tall man positioned himself between the princess and the lifeless body, using his strength to hold it in place. With utmost caution and silence, he moved the corpse towards the chest—the same one he used to sneak Hallel aboard the ship.

His focus remained more on the girl in the bed than on his actions. He carefully placed the lifeless form inside, then wiped his bloodied hands on Adir's clothes. Once the lid was closed, Hadiza arrived with a bottle of beer, assisting Vere in cleaning the blood from his fingers, using the alcohol.

She also checked for any red stains on his attire. Finding none on his vest or pants, she swiftly departed and returned to Hallel's side. The tall man left the chamber almost immediately and joined the man at the ship's steering wheel.

"You can take a break. I'll steer the ship," he told him.

The sailor, an older man with dark, sunburned skin and a scruffy beard, was dressed in a partial navy uniform—brown pants and a beige shirt without the jacket.

"Can you even do it?" he asked cautiously.

"Yes. I served on a ship for a while back in the day," Vere lied. "I know what to do."

"Where is the captain? Did he send you?" the man inquired.

"He is resting. I offered to take over for a while, and he agreed. Look... I understand that you sense something is amiss, but it's too soon to explain everything. Adir will fill you in tomorrow. We've already discussed this," Vere assured him.

This explanation seemed to satisfy the sailor. He glanced briefly at the door to the captain's quarters, nodded, and released his grip on the wheel, stepping away.

28