A Calamity’s Love (8)
1.1k 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Oh, pregnant… PREGNANT?!” Iris was shocked.

[Yes. Host is 4 weeks pregnant with Target’s child.]

Although Iris was beyond shocked, after cooling her head, she thought things through. In her previous life, she had an IUD birth control which helped to assure that she would not get pregnant, however, in this world, there wasn’t any device or mechanism for that. Sure, there were herbs and magic spells to prevent pregnancy, but she didn’t use any of that, thus leading to the current situation.

Iris lightly stroked her stomach, lost deep within her thoughts. In the past, she had always dreamed of finding the right man then settling down to start a family of her own… but because of the lifestyle she was living, she knew it was a pipe dream. But thinking about how things were now, she wasn’t living that lifestyle anymore. She was free to do what it was she wanted.

“Maru!!!” Iris called over excitedly.

“Yes, Iris?” Maru popped his head through the open door of the cottage.

“Come here. Come here,” she motioned him over.

When he walked up to her, she quickly grabbed his hand and gently placed it over her belly. Maru wasn’t sure what she was doing; humans were so mysterious... funny considering he once was human too but that was a long time ago.

“Is your stomach not feeling good?” he asked innocently.

Iris laughed, “no, silly. I’m pregnant with Rius’ child. He’s going to be a father! I’m going to be a mother! And you’re going to be this child’s god-brother!”

It was as if Maru had an epiphany; his eyes widened while his mouth dropped. He looked up to her face then down to her belly then back up to her face before shifting his gaze back to her belly.

“Oh my goodness! W-w-we-we, we need to tell my king!” Maru said frantically.

Iris’ eyes slightly dimmed as her expression softened. Iris shook her head. “I made a promise. And I won’t distract him. If I do now, it’d only fuel his will to fight to protect us even more, and I don’t want that. I want him to hurry back home but I don't want him to be reckless. I want him to be safe.”

Maru slowly removed his hand and nodded his head, understanding Iris’ intentions.

“Don’t mention anything to anyone, okay?” 

Maru vigorously nodded his head. Only then did Iris sigh in relief.

“Anyways, I have to make a trip somewhere. I’ll be back soon.”

***

It has been a while since Iris was in the capital city of Yvaris, Janes. Walking around, no one seemed to recognize her, but she could tell that it was much more lively than before. As she wandered around, she arrived at Times Square, however, there was something different about Times Square. Standing before a pile of rubble, Iris did not move.

It was no longer here.

“Excuse me, Miss. The Pillar that used to be here, where is it?” Iris stopped the closest woman who was walking beside her.

“Oh, that. A few weeks ago the Pillar suddenly collapsed on its own. But not only did it happen here but all throughout Ove. I heard that it has something to do with the war happening over in the land of the Holy Church. Thank goodness that demon will be no more,” the woman smiled and placed her palm to her chest. 

“Do you know if Yvaris has dispatched any soldiers or mages to the battlefield?”

“Hm, I’ve heard that Yvaris has agreed to join the fight but they have yet to dispatch anyone. Even-,”

WHOOOOSH!!!

Before the woman even finished her statement, Iris had already activated a transportation array and headed off to the castle. When she arrived, she was in Merlin’s study. It was filled with all sorts of books about spells, history and geography. Iris began searching through Merlin’s room. Although Merlin raised her as his own, she has never been inside his study before. Merlin was particular like that; he just didn’t like people being in his space. 

Looking through the bookshelves and cabinets, she finally found what it was she was looking for, the Book of Forbidden Spells. There was a complex spell casted upon the book so that it couldn't be opened and read. However, to Iris and C-2, this magic spell was nothing; it was easily broken.

“Hello, Father. No long time no see,” Iris smiled as she flipped through the book without looking at him.

Merlin looked at his daughter who has grown more beautiful and saw the dazzling aura surrounding her. It was nothing like he has ever seen before however, immediately, he noticed a peculiar energy swirling inside her stomach. He instantly knew what it was that was inside her stomach. Merlin’s expression grew dark.

“That’s the child of the demon. Get rid of it!”

Iris held onto her stomach and looked up to Merlin. “It may be the demon’s child, but it is also my child. I won’t let you touch my child. Not as long as I’m alive.”

“Don’t tell me you love that demon king?”

“I do.”

Merlin’s eyes became bloodshot as the magic energy within the room became turbulent, however, Iris was unfazed by his display of power. After a moment, Merlin calmed himself down and sighed heavily. 

“That demon is not capable of loving another. It’s been like that for the past 125 years. All of these years we’ve given him women sacrifices to satiate his lust and hunger. I’ve confronted him on several occasions before and that demon is not worthy of your affections, Iris. He’s a monster and very unstable. And right now, there is a war going on and Yvaris has decided to join the fight.”

Iris slammed the book shut as it echoed through the room.

“He returned all of the brides who were selected this year. The Pillar of Names are no more. He doesn’t want a war. He was set up.”

“Even if he was set up, it does not change his past.”

“Yes, one’s past cannot be undone, but what matters is not the past but the present and future,” Iris took the book and stormed out of the room.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“I’m going to meet with the king.”

***

In the main banquet hall, envoys from the Holy Church were there, discussing the war that has already begun with the demons.

As Iris was making her way to the hall, many of the guards tried stopping her, but being Merlin’s daughter, they were afraid of offending her thus offending Merlin. Iris slams open the doors to the banquet hall, making her grand entrance. Sitting on their thrones at the other end of the room was the king and queen of Yvaris. Iris then noticed two other figures she had long forgotten about, Elena and Prince Callum.

“Please pardon my rudeness, Your Majesties. But I do have a proposition to this war you wish to join,” Iris bowed her head in respect.

“Iris Lovett, daughter of Merlin Weiss. Interesting for you to finally show yourself after all the brides have been returned several weeks ago. Where have you been all this time?” King Aslan Yonnes asked.

“Pardon me for speaking rudely, although I did grow up in the palace, I do not consider ourselves to be close enough for me to tell you every single detail of where I’ve been for the past few weeks,” Iris said bluntly.

“How dare you speak rudely to His Majesty?!” a councilman cried out in anger.

King Aslan raised his hand to calm the bystander. “It was my fault for inquiring in her private life. So, what is your proposition, Iris Lovett?”

Iris glanced to the envoys then looked back to the king. Merlin then finally appeared at the entrance of the banquet hall doors as Iris was making her proposal.

“I hope My King will not agree to engage in this war against the Demon King.”

As soon as those words left her lips, the council within the room began howling in protest.

“Is this little Miss insane?!”

“Denying aid to the Holy Church is basically saying that we’re siding with the demon king who has terrorized our lands for far too long!”

“Does this little Miss wish to bring shame upon us?!”

“Yvaris will not cower away from a war of the future of our kingdom!”

“SILENCE!” King Aslan’s voice thundered throughout the hollow hall.

The room instantaneously quieted down.

“Why do you wish for Yvaris to not take part in this war?”

“It’s simple. I do not want Yvaris to engage in battle with my husband.”

The room fell into an uproar!! As soon as Iris said those words, Elena’s mouth dropped open. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing! After Iris helped Elena return to Janes, it was Prince Callum who came to her aid.

“Your husband?! That foul beast of a demon is your husband?! Do you know what your husband did to my fiance?!” Prince Callum stood up in anger. “He forced her to have sex with him! He then went on to torture her by having her engage in a demonic orgy in which haunts her to no end!!” Prince Callum fumed.

Iris was just as shocked as Elena. Prince Callum had just spilled some of Elena’s most sensitive secrets! Elena gently tugged on his sleeve. Although she was shocked by his sudden outburst, Elena understood it was because he cared for her and did not want to save the demon who caused her pain. But because her mind was in disarray when Prince Callum saved her, she told him that it was Rius who order his demons to rape her over and over again. Even after she became sober and had realized what she had told Prince Callum, she continued on with the lie.

As soon as Iris heard that, her expression became cold as she narrowed her eyes, slightly tilting her head to the side. “Rius’ had his demons rape her? Hah, you must be joking, my dear Prince. Sure, he slept with her once, in which I have no hard feelings, for at that time my husband and I weren’t even together. But that rape orgy she told you, was a lie. It was not done by Rius’ people but a rebellious faction in which the Holy Church is working with.”

“Shut up! Elena would never lie to me!” Prince Callum yelled.

Iris looked over to Elena with a strange glint in her eyes. Elena slightly cowered behind Prince Callum. It was as if Iris could see right through her. It was quite strange. When Prince Callum talked to her about Iris, she thought of Iris as a thorn to his side and quite a meek and mediocre person. But when she came across Iris and Rius enjoying their time together, and when she remembered how he treated her for their one and only night before never visiting her again, her dislike and sudden jealousy for Iris sprouted within her. She was not like as Prince Callum had described her. Iris Lovett was strong-spirited, beautiful and brilliant. 

"It was a miracle that the holy water from the Merlin was able to purify her body, allowing Elena to maintain her pure soul. Elena has been blessed by the gods as the Holy Maiden, being bestowed the magic of light. Your so-called husband almost destroyed this gift the gods have given us!" Prince Callum shouted. "You made the wrong choice, Iris Lovett. You are a disappointment to our kingdom, to your father, Merlin Weiss! To think that I once held you in high regards."

Iris just wanted to roll her eyes. Ever since when did this idiot ever held the OG in high regards? More like in high regards of being a nuisance.

Shifting her attention back to Elena, looking at the emotion Elena was displaying within her eyes, all Iris could do was snort. They were truly a match made in heaven. Congrats to the two of you. Iris was quite familiar with hostile women towards her so she’d be able to spot one anytime. Knowing that she would not get anywhere with this conversation, she decided she’d end it.

“Fine. If you want to join the war, then go ahead. I’m done trying to talk to people who won’t even listen. Even demons are better listeners,” Iris scoffed as she walked away. “Better not come crying to me later when you suffer the burn of this pathetic war.”

“Are you saying that you will be joining your demon husband’s side in this war? If so, the moment you walk out those doors, you are no longer a citizen of Yvaris. You will be branded as an exile and a traitor,” King Aslan clarified. 

Many of the councilmen and envoys from the Holy Church smirked gleefully - for this was a naive little girl who did not know her place in the world. Surely this would give her a scare. But Iris smirked and continued walking out of the doors.

As she was exiting the banquet hall, there stood Merlin. Although he wanted to protect her like his daughter, he also had a reputation to uphold; a reputation that came long before her; one that made him who he was… Iris gave him a sad yet understanding smile. She knew what his position was. Iris didn’t have that kind of reputation so she was willing to cast it aside for Rius. Merlin on the other hand, although he loved her dearly, to cast his status away to protect a demon that has brought nothing but terror to the land, it was a hard decision. But in the end, he made his choice and so did she. 

“Iris Lovett, daughter of Merlin Weiss, is hereby exiled from Yvaris and is branded as a traitor to all of humanity!” King Aslan announced. “If she is ever spotted, all forces are given permission to attack on sight!”

21