49 The Meeting
6.1k 32 178
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
A little late. I was out to a doctor's appointment this morning and writing was pushed back.

Filch was very surprised when Harry Potter showed up at his office just after lunch. “Are you daft, lad?” He asked. “You should be with your friends and not volunteering for more detention on your afternoon off.”

“I wanted to make up for the time I missed on Wednesday.” Harry said.

“Meow.” Missus Norris said and rubbed her side on Harry's leg.

“Yep, completely daft.” Filch shook his head and retrieved their cleaning things.

“I've got Hermione looking up something else for me in the library and Neville's trying to help her.” Harry said. “He's actually trying to avoid getting picked on, so they both benefit.”

“I miss being able to string bullies up by their ankles.” Filch said and handed Harry his mop. “The screams always lulled me to sleep.”

“I'd love to see Dudley and his friends like that!” Harry laughed and took the big bucket, added the special soap and a bit of water, stirred it, then used the refilling charm to fill it. “It's just too bad I'm not allowed outside during the summer.” He said and then sighed. “Not that it matters. I can't use magic outside the house anyway.”

Filch gave him an odd look for a moment, then grunted. “It's no big loss, is it?”

“Huh?” Harry looked at the older man as they walked towards the stairs.

“You've been without magic fer years, right?” Filch asked and he nodded. “Why be sad that you can't do it?”

“But... it's magic.” Harry said, a little confused.

“What did you do before you turned eleven? Jump around and hoped that you could do magic?” Filch laughed and bitterly recalled his own time doing just that, and how it had ended. “You'll be fine, lad. A couple months off will let you relax, assuming you can git something done about your cupboard.”

“Get something done about it?” Harry asked, curious.

“I distinctly remember someone saying something about getting his normal trunk enchanted into a room.” Filch said as they came out of the stairwell onto the fifth floor.

Harry came to a stop and stared at the old man with his mouth wide open.

“You look like I just kicked you in the balls, lad!” Filch cackled a laugh and Missus Norris meowed her own amusement.

Harry closed his mouth and laughed. “You've done it before!”

Filch nodded and put up the sign to close off the hallway to students. “I'm not allowed to do that as punishment anymore, either.” He said, almost wistfully.

Harry laughed and Missus Norris meowed her amusement again. They got to cleaning and worked, and worked, and worked some more.

“Meow.” Missus Norris said.

“That's supper, lad.” Filch said.

“I've still got some sandwiches left.” Harry said and leaned his mop on the bucket. “If you want to stay here and share, that is.” He took out the big box and enlarged it. “I might get a few more days out of it.” He chuckled and took a bite from a yellow sandwich. “Egg salad and mayonnaise.”

“I wonder if there's a good boar or even a stag sandwich.” Filch said and looked at Missus Norris. “Another tuna fish for you?”

“Meow!” Missus Norris enthusiastically agreed and he opened one for her.

“I'll try this thick brownish one.” Filch said and took a bite. “Ah, shepherd's pie. Good enough.”

The three of them sat there and ate their sandwiches in silence.

*

“Oh, dear.” Minerva McGonagall said as she read the letter sent to her by private owl post. “Why would Amelia Bones wish to speak to Harry?” She asked herself and read the letter again. She thought about the things that had happened all week and her mind locked onto Peter Pettegrew. “Oh, dear.”

She seriously considered denying the request, in case Amelia tried to bring up all the horrible things that had happened ten years ago, then she sighed. She had to assume he knew some of it, considering his aunt raised him, so she wrote an acceptance note. The owl took it and flew out the window.

I just hope this isn't a mistake. Minerva thought.

*

Amelia handed the note to Bertha half an hour later across the little tea table. “You were right, Bertha. She agreed and I'll be allowed to see him tomorrow.”

Bertha nodded and sipped her tea. “McGonagall considers the good and the bad and she knows that if there's anything bad, you'll be able to handle it. You are the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, after all.”

Amelia chuckled. “You want me to tell Harry about Pettegrew.”

“If you don't, I'll whisk him away next weekend and tell him myself.” Bertha chuckled. “I think Sirius will be out and in St. Mungo's by then as well.”

Amelia nodded. “I know Fudge is getting ahead of the political fallout from this; but, I'm not going to complain. He's already sent the missive that it really was the gas main that killed the dozen muggles, just like the muggle newspaper had reported it.”

“I'm not going to complain, either.” Bertha said. “I can't wait to talk to Sirius, though.”

Amelia laughed. “Don't you dare badger that poor man. He's been through enough the last ten years and he doesn't need a human Dementor to hound him, too!”

“Bwahaha!” Bertha laughed and tears came to her eyes. “That's a good one! Human Dementor!”

“I thought you'd like that.” Amelia said and handed Bertha a tissue.

“Thank you.” Bertha said and dabbed her eyes. “Don't forget to give Harry the next preliminary test.”

Amelia nodded. “We need to keep an eye on how much magic that boy can channel.” She said. “Did you get the copy of the reports filed by the ghosts with the Spirit Division in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures?”

Bertha smiled and reached into her purse and pulled out the stack. “The last one from Sir Porpington was an eye opener, wasn't it?” She asked and flipped through it.

“I think the one from Binns was more interesting.” Amelia said. “Even after that, Professor Binns still doesn't know he's a ghost.”

Bertha laughed. “Poor man was so boring in life that even his death was boring and his spirit continued on.” She tapped the report in front of her. “The light from Harry's Depulso beam was so strong that it burned a hole right through the enchanted ceiling and it took half an hour to fill back in.”

Amelia nodded. “He knocked Sir Nicholas right out of the castle with that one.”

“He actually bounced off of the protective enchantments that surround the castle.” Bertha said and closed the report. “That's amazing for just a push spell.”

“It's absolutely astonishing for a young boy of eleven.” Amelia said. “His concentration and emotion must have been through the roof.”

“So was Sir Nicholas!” Bertha said and both women laughed for several moments, then they calmed down.

“I'll try my best to give him a good overview of things, like we discussed.” Amelia said. “I just hope he can accept my words for what they are.”

“You could take a bit of Viritasirum.” Bertha said.

Amelia huffed. “The boy probably won't trust that's what it actually is.”

Bertha smiled and nodded. “Then you need to convince him another way.”

Amelia gave her an inquisitive look. “What do you have in mind?”

“It's simple really.” Bertha said. “I've become a friend he can trust and depend on; but, I can't be a figure that he can respect and look up to.”

“I don't understand.” Amelia said.

“I want you to do what Minerva McGonagall should have done.” Bertha said. “As soon as you see him, I want you to swoop in and hug that boy as tightly as you can, praise him for being so smart and brave, then tell him he needs to act more manly and not cause so many scenes in the Great Hall.”

“Excuse me?” Amelia looked at her in confusion.

Bertha put the reports away and put her tea cup down, then reached across the table and took Amelia's hand. “I want you to assume the role of a mother figure for him.”

“Wh-what?!?” Amelia asked, shocked.

Bertha laughed and pat the hand she held. “I don't want you to adopt him or anything. You have enough on your plate raising your niece, Susan.”

Amelia nodded. She had lost nearly her entire family ten years ago and raised Susan as if she were her own daughter. She was very glad to have her in her life, since she was all she had.

“I just want you to be the mother authority figure.” Bertha said. “I've been looking into his home life after the several long talks we had, and that woman... his aunt...” Bertha almost spat the word. “...treated him like a house elf.”

“NO!” Amelia sat up strait and her hand twitched to grab her wand as if she was in a duel.

“I felt the same way when I heard about it, my dear friend.” Bertha said.

“Treating a child like that when we shouldn't be treating house elves like that...” Amelia shook her head. “You should have told me that first.” She looked at her years long friend. “I am going to smother that boy with as much affection as he'll let me.”

Bertha smiled a happy smile. “I knew you were the right woman to ask.”

Amelia nodded and sat back. She picked up her cup of tea and took a sip.

“I wonder what Susan's up to tomorrow?” Bertha asked, innocently.

“Don't even think about it.” Amelia gave her a glare. “She's only eleven.”

“So is Harry.” Bertha said. “I'm sure they have a few classes together, too.”

Amelia sighed. “Do you want me to talk to her?”

Bertha shook her head. “No, you are right. They are both a bit too young for a budding romance.”

“That's a relief.” Amelia said. “I suppose they could be friends if we can be careful about the circumstances.”

“Hufflepuffs are noted for having long lasting friendships.” Bertha said to her and Amelia nodded. Not only was she referring to their friendship that had lasted years, she meant that if Susan and Harry could become friends, then they would be friends for a very long time.

Amelia put down her cup. “Thank you for the tea.” She said and stood. “I think I need to send another personal letter to the school.”

Bertha watched her friend leave the room and smiled.

178