Chapter 131- Back on the Road
1.8k 27 97
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Keeno POV]

After lunch, we spent the rest of the day looking around the temple ruins along with Fia.  Sadly, we didn’t find any ancient, forgotten artifacts or some secret document extoling the greatest of magics, though we did find an old priestess robe that, through the hands of a master tailor, could either be restored or a new one made.  Said robe would also look good on Pram, as, in Freya’s words, would accentuate her saintly aura.

 

That night, we stayed in the ruins and left early the next morning. Fia decided to go back and wait for Ama to get back because she had been gone longer than expected.  This made me slightly worried, but circumstances being what they were, I couldn’t do anything about it, which frustrated me to no end.

 

“Keeno, I get that I was careless with my words, but Rasu is fine, she can take care of herself, and she’ll explain what happened when she gets back.” (Fia)

 

“Hmph.” (Keeno)

 

“*Sigh*” (Fia)

 

“You know it’s no use, Fia.” (Pram)

 

“I know, but still.  She’s worrying where there is no need to.” (Fia)

 

“In her defense, I’d worry about Pram if I was in the same situation.” (Freya)

 

“Aww.  You’re sweet.  I love you too, Freya.” (Pram)

 

“Ehehe.” (Freya)

 

The rest of that day and most of the next one my head was unpleasantly empty of Ama’s voice.  We had stopped for lunch a bit away from the road on top of a hill with a big tree.  It was Freya’s turn to cook, so I was sitting with my back to the tree, looking out over the path we came from as well as the one we would continue to take for the foreseeable future.

 

“…I think I have some dependency issues.” (Keeno)

 

“You’re only now realizing that?” (Fia)

 

“I always knew I did, but I never had to think about it until now.” (Keeno)

 

“I guess that’s a downside of having your Fated Ones always in your head.” (Fia)

 

“Probably, not that I really mind it.” (Keeno)

 

“You know, I’ve always been curious, but what’s it like?” (Fia)

 

“What specifically?” (Keeno)

 

“Having the person you love the most always in your head.” (Fia)

 

“While nothing beats being near them physically, when you are in circumstances like ours, it’s like the sweetest, most addicting drug you can imagine, multiplied infinitely.” (Keeno)

 

“…If it’s like that, how have you not gone completely insane yet?” (Fia)

 

“Fia, I don’t think I’ve been sane ever since I was born in this world.  I was born in Falheim and forced myself to act in a way that wouldn’t get me into any unnecessary trouble, then from five and on, I’ve had my Fated One in my head.  I’m also on a journey to throw the mortal world into what is essentially their apocalypse, at least for the current civilization. If any of that is what a sane person is, then I’m the sanest person in the world and then some.” (Keeno)

 

“Hehe.  True, not that I, or anyone else close to you, are any better.  We’re all crazy.  Honestly, I think that’s one of the prerequisites for becoming an Apostle.” (Fia)

 

“I agree with that.” (Keeno)

 

The crackling of the fire along with the sound of sizzling meat and the gentle breeze started to make me drowsy.

 

“*Yawn*I think I’m gonna take a nap.” (Keeno)

 

“Rest well.” (Fia)

 

“Mmm.” (Keeno)

 

Helped along by the ambiance, I quickly fell asleep.

 

[Pram POV]

Looking over at Keeno, I saw she was asleep.  I chuckled lightly at how defenseless she looked, especially when Huginn and Muninn hopped out of her tails and nestled themselves under her hands before also seemingly falling asleep.

 

“Pram, watch your tail.” (Freya)

 

“Hmm?” (Pram)

 

Looking down, I saw my tail was almost laying in the fire.

 

“Ah.  Thank you, Freya.” (Pram)

 

“No problem…my love.” (Freya)

 

Freya muttered the last bit before looking down, her cheeks flushed and her ear twitching.

 

“Hehe.  You know you don’t have to force yourself to say things like that, right?” (Pram)

 

“I know, you tell me that every time I do it…but I still like giving the affirmation.” (Freya)

 

“Hehehe.” (Pram)

 

Moving my tail, I wrapped it around Freya’s waist and pulled her closer.

 

“And I love that part of you too.” (Pram)

 

I leaned over and kissed her cheek and was about to kiss her lips when I heard a sound that wasn’t natural coming from above us.

 

“Grr.” (Pram)

 

I pulled my cudgel out of my storage as a strange, skeletal bird about the same size as Huginn and Muninn landed in front of us.

 

“Pest getting in my way.” (Pram)

 

I was about to smash the undead annoyance when its rib cage opened up and a strange magic tool and several pieces of paper fell out and a skeletal human hand picked up the tool. It then started writing something on the top piece of paper.  While it did that, Freya and I turned to look at each other before looking back at the undead.  After a few minutes it finished writing.  I picked up the paper before it was blown away and read it.

 

‘My name is Eblana, this is a messenger I sent once I came to several major realizations and sought to contact you as fast as possible. Though I would have preferred to come in person, it would rouse suspicions with the wrong people if I did so due to my status.  I would like to speak with Miss Keeno with haste.  There is no need to write responses as I am controlling this messenger through necromancy, so I can see and hear you, but not speak through verbal words.’

 

Freya and I shared another look before Freya stood up to go and wake Keeno.

 

“Before you speak with her, know that calling her Keeno right off the bat will be a bad idea. So, until you are given permission by her, refer to her as Okami.” (Pram)

 

The skeletal bird nodded its head in a shaky manner.  A few seconds later, Freya and a grumpy Keeno sat next to me.

 

“So, you’re the ones that’s been watching us?” (Keeno)

 

Chaos Realm:

Luna: And that’s everything you’ve missed since you were last here.

Atmos: Wow…I missed a lot.

Luna: You did.

Nykuro: Ooo! The fuzzy lady is about to smack that bone bird!  Teach that featherless fake a lesson!

Atmos: I like this one. She’s fun.

Luna: I agree.  Can’t wait to start teasing her too.

Atmos: Thise reactions are going to be glorious, and I’m here for it.

Luna: Fufufufufufufu.

Atmos: Hehehehehehehehe.

Nykuro: …???

97