Chapter 17- A New Home
5.1k 32 208
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Keeno POV]

I observed the snowy city while we made our way to the two places we had to choose from to live.  Most of the buildings were made of stone or wood and all of them had large chimneys that had smoke coming out of them.  It was actually quite the pretty place, like it was taken from a movie or video game.  While the buildings were interesting, I spent most of the walk observing the people.

 

There were a variety of different races here ranging from humans, what I think were dark elves, beastkin, dwarves, and more, though I didn’t see any angels.  In regards to the beastkin, most of them had features that I recognized from animals that lived in cold climates like snow leopards, wolves, lynxes, and there were a few other kitsune.  Naturally, I wasn’t the only one observing.  The people that we passed by also looked at me and Fia.  Some of them smiled at us, others just glanced in our direction before turning their attention back to whatever they were doing.  A few made weird faces when they looked at me, but it wasn’t anything that I wasn’t already used to.

 

Eventually, we made it to our first destination.  It was a somewhat large building that looked kind of like a cabin made of stone and wood in equal measure.  It had a small yard in front of it that was covered in a lot of snow.  It seemed like a cozy place.  We went inside and walked around seeing what was what and where was where.  It was nice, though, if I had to have a complaint about it, it would be that it was close to a noisy part of the city.  After looking over the place fully, we left to go and see the other place.  It took a lot longer to get there than the first place, but it was worth it.

 

If the last place was a cabin, then the second one would be a lodge.  It was in a somewhat secluded part of the city, in my opinion, and had a lot of space around it.  Most of the building was made of wood, though there were stone sections that looked like they were added at different times.  The inside was roomy and inviting.  Fia and I looked around practically every inch of the place before we started discussing our choice.

 

“I think I’d prefer this one.” (Keeno)

 

“I’m of the same opinion.  There is a lot more space here and it’s secluded enough that, unless they go out of their way to do so, people won’t visit very often.  As a bonus, it’s also near one of the exits to the city, so we can come and go for training easier than the other place.” (Fia)

 

“Then we’re calling this one our home?” (Keeno)

 

“Yep.  I’ll go finalize what needs to be finalized with the merchant.” (Fia)

 

Fia went over to the merchant that was showing us the two places and started talking.  They both moved over to a table that was here and sat down.  Fia started signing several papers before handing over a large sack of what I assumed was money.  The merchant left after that.

 

“So, now we just go and find places that sell furnishings that we still need and some other basic stuff and we’ll be officially moved in.  I have to say, it feels nice, being in a place that I can eventually call home.” (Keeno)

 

{I agree.  I’m happy that you finally have a place, besides with me, that you can truly rest at.  You no longer need to sleep with your guard up.  And you no longer have people that are going to abuse you for no other reason than petty resentment or indoctrination to the country.}

 

“You know, it’s also been a while since I’ve had a place that I can return to like this.  It’s a good feeling, to be honest.” (Fia)

 

The three of us chatted happily as we went around the lodge again to see what all we needed to get.  For the most part, it was just beds, some carpets, a few more chairs, and some other basic household things.  Once we compiled the full list, we left the lodge to find the shops that sold those things.  This task took a surprisingly long time to do, but we managed to buy what we needed and return just as the suns were setting.  Fia and I were now sitting together in one of our new chairs while watching the fire in the fireplace.

 

“…” (Keeno)

 

“What’s wrong, Keeno?” (Fia)

 

“Nothing.  I’m just contemplating.  I’m excited that I’m finally, truly free from Falheim and that soon, I’m going to do more than just be basically tortured every day.” (Keeno)

 

“That’s good.  I can promise you that the training I’m going to put you through will be far from what you’ve had so far.  It will be based off of what I’ve seen you are capable of and will respect your limits.  Speaking of training, how long do you want to wait before starting?” (Fia)

 

“I feel like a week maybe a week and a half before we start.” (Keeno)

 

“Alright.  Oh, and what do you think of pets?” (Fia)

 

“What kind are we talking about here?” (Keeno)

 

“Not sure yet, but something that hatches from an egg is what I’m thinking.” (Fia)

 

“…Hold on, are you implying what I think you are?” (Keeno)

 

“If you mean getting you to learn how to consciously control how much heat you produce by giving you an egg that you have to take care of without cooking it, then yes.  That way, if you fail, we get food, if you succeed, you get a pet.” (Fia)

 

“Unless it’s different in this world, I don’t think that’s how eggs work.” (Keeno)

 

{Keeno, she’s not thinking about a normal egg.  She’s thinking of monster eggs.  They are completely different things and work in completely different ways.}

 

“Ok, because what I was thinking about is actually kind of traumatizing.” (Keeno)

 

“I already said my training wasn’t going to be like the last kind you went through.  I obviously wouldn’t do something that would end up traumatizing you any more than you already are.” (Fia)

 

I giggled at Fia’s words before yawning.

 

“Shall we head to bed?” (Fia)

 

“Yeah.  As much as I’d like to keep chatting, I have to listen to my body’s call to sleep.  *sigh*  Being in a five-year-old body can be so annoying sometimes.” (Keeno)

 

{Yes, but you are cute like that, so isn’t it fine?}

 

“I agree with Rasu.  You are the perfect size to hug while sleeping.  It’s going to be a sad day when I can’t use you as my hug pillow.” (Fia)

 

{Absolutely Fia.  She’s adorable.  Like the other day during Solar Convergence when she fell asleep in my arms.  She wrapped her tail around one of my arms and grabbed one of my tails and hugged it like it was the greatest thing in all existence.}

 

I could feel the heat around me start to rise in tune with my embarrassment.

 

“AH!  The return of Keeno the Tomato!” (Fia)

 

“I AM NOT A TOMATO!!!” (Keeno)

 

I hopped out of Fia’s lap and went to the room I claimed for myself.  I hopped onto my new bed and grumbled to myself as I tried to go to sleep.

 

{You know, storming off doesn’t really work when I’m technically a voice in your head.}

 

“HMPH!” (Keeno)

 

{Hehehe.  Good night, Keeno.}

 

Chaos Realm:

Luna: When did I say you were allowed to leave?

Amaterasu: But my Fated One!

Luna: …Fair point.  Now, let us resume the lessons.  What is the most basic of basics of Fluff care?

Amaterasu: Treat Fluff with utmost devotion and it will never let you down.

Luna: Correct.  Now, I will teach you the proper techniques to use when it comes to brushing your tails.  This is EXTREMELY important, so pay attention as if your life depends on it.

Amaterasu: Yes Ma’am!

This is almost as entertaining as watching Keeno write poetry.

Order: I agree.

Tamamo: Well, you both know how Luna is about fluff.

Luna: Tamamo, come over here please, I’d like you to help in the demonstration.

Tamamo: Coming.

208