Chapter 86- Birding Around
3k 21 122
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Keeno POV]

The day after we received our titles, we decided it was time to move on.  We packed up our things and left the city just as the suns were rising into the sky, their blue and orange radiance painting the horizon and early morning sky in a myriad of light but vibrant colors.  The air was cool and crisp and there was a light breeze blowing.

 

“Ah.  I love mornings like this.” (Keeno)

 

“I agree.  I wouldn’t mind it being a bit colder, but it’s still quite nice.” (Pram)

 

“Yeah.  Makes me want to sit in a comfy chair and sip on some coffee while watching the suns rise.” (Freya)

 

“And now I want coffee.” (Keeno)

 

“I don’t get why you like that stuff.  I mean, unless you fill it with sugar and milk, it’s way to bitter.” (Pram)

 

“Pram, you say that like that isn’t exactly how I like it.  I hate bitter stuff, so making it like that is the best.  And I like it because it makes me feel good.” (Keeno)

 

“So, you’re one of those people.” (Freya)

 

“I am and I’m proud of it.  I won’t take any criticism on it.” (Keeno)

 

“Fair enough.  And for the record, even I don’t like coffee as it is, it does need something to balance out the bitterness.  I’m a bit fan of these little cracker sticks dipped in chocolate.” (Freya)

 

“Those sound nice.  If we ever find any, I’ll have to try them.” (Pram)

 

Freya’s ear twitched and her cheeks turned a little red, showing that she had an idea, but whatever it was, she didn’t share it.

 

“Y-yeah, if we find some somewhere.” (Freya)

 

It was at this point that Huginn and Muninn did something they hadn’t done in a long time.  They flapped out of my tails and landed on my shoulders.

 

“Oh?  You two feel like riding here today?” (Keeno)

 

“Caw.” (Huginn)

 

“Caw, caw.” (Muninn)

 

“I see.” (Keeno)

 

{That’s understandable, you two.}

 

“Pram…” (Freya)

 

“Don’t say anything, Freya, I know.” (Pram)

 

“Speaking of…How is your progress in understanding them, Pram?” (Keeno)

 

“It’s progressing slowly, I think.  I kind of got the feeling they said something about doing something different, but that’s about it, though it was mostly from the context of what you said.” (Pram)

 

“Close.  They said they wanted to have a change of pace and sit on my shoulders for a while.  Apparently, my tails have been swaying about too much for them to be comfortable since I got the second one.” (Keeno)

 

“You got all of that from just those short bird noises?” (Freya)

 

“Yep.  Bird language is way more complex than ours.  Short noises like that convey a ton of meanings.” (Keeno)

 

{And on this topic, speaking to things like trees is also different.  They take a long, LONG time to say anything.}

 

“Wait, even trees speak?” (Keeno)

 

{Specific ones, yes.}

 

“Caw!” (Huginn)

 

{Hey!  Don’t sass me bird!}

 

“Pfft.” (Keeno)

 

“Hehe.” (Pram)

 

“Wait, you understood that Pram?” (Freya)

 

“No, but Muninn is being funny.” (Pram)

 

I looked at Munin and saw it was holding its wings up while bobbing its head in a funny way.

 

{…When I see the two of you in person, I’m going to roast you.}

 

“Caw, caw!” (Huginn)

 

“Caw, caw, cacaw!” (Muninn)

 

“Huginn, Muninn.  I won’t defend you two if you keep that up.  And Huginn, remember what happened last time you really pissed someone off.  If you forgot, you almost froze to death.” (Keeno)

 

“…” (Huginn)

 

“Hmm.  Now that I think about it, I never asked where you met these two.” (Freya)

 

“I hatched them.  At the start when they were just eggs, Fia gave them to me in order to learn how to control my heat.  Since I didn’t want to turn them into breakfast, I did my best and managed to incubate them properly, and once they hatched, I’ve taken care of them since then.” (Keeno)

 

“Hmm.  So, they aren’t special?  I mean, I’ve seen steelfeather ravens before, but none have ever been as big or as smart as these two.  Don’t get me wrong, steelfeather ravens are smart, but these two are smarter.” (Freya)

 

{I actually have a theory about that, but to fully confirm it, I’d need to see them in person.  Of course, only after I bake them slightly in butter.}

 

“Ama, that’s enough.  While I do agree that what they said was mean, I want to keep them uncooked.” (Keeno)

 

{Fine.  But I’ll only concede this one time.  Next time it’s cooked bird time.}

 

“Hear that, you two, this was your last chance.” (Keeno)

 

““Caw.”” (Both)

 

We continued on.  After a while Huginn and Muninn must have gotten bored riding on my shoulders, so they took off to the sky.  I looked up as we went and the two were flying around, doing spirals and loops in the air.

 

“Makes me wonder what it’s like to fly.” (Keeno)

 

“I don’t know, but it seems like fun.” (Pram)

 

“It probably feels freeing.” (Freya)

 

“I wonder if they’ll ever grow big enough for us to ride on them?” (Keeno)

 

{I highly doubt it.  I don’t think they’re going to grow any bigger.}

 

“Oh well.” (Keeno)

 

A little while after Huginn and Muninn started to fly, something happened.  From farther above them, some big shadow came flying down at high speeds.  The two dodged it and the object flipped around.  When it stopped moving enough for me to make out what it was, I saw a bird bigger than the two combined with brown feathers, gleaming, steel-colored talons, and a razor-sharp beak.  Its golden eyes looking at Huginn and Muninn hungrily.

 

Huginn and Muninn looked down at the eagle looking bird with contempt as it regained its balance in the air.  Not letting it fully recover, Huginn moved first.  It dove down and passed by the eagle looking bird.  Huginn’s feathers glinted in the light and a trail of blood was left in the air where Huginn passed by.  Muninn moved next and did the same thing only on the other side of the opposing bird.

 

They continued to fly past the bigger bird at high speed, inflicting small, but deep wounds on it until it could no longer maintain flight.  It started to tumble down to the ground, but my two feathered friends didn’t let up.  Muninn flew down to the bird and grabbed its talons with its own and, using its momentum, flipped it up into the sky where Huginn flew circled around it, cutting it up even more.

 

“Caw, cacaw, caw, CAW!” (Huginn)

 

“Caw!” (Muninn)

 

“…” (Keeno)

 

“What did they say?” (Pram)

 

“I will not repeat those words, they will taint your soul.” (Keeno)

 

“…” (Pram)

 

“…” (Freya)

 

{Keeno, we need to speak with Fia.  She’s the only one who could have taught those two words like that.}

 

“Words will be had.” (Keeno)

 

Once the two were done mocking their ‘opponent’ they finally let it fall to the ground in a bloody heap of feathers.  The two the spiraled around in the air, flinging blood everywhere until they were satisfied before coming and landing back on my shoulders.

 

“Done having fun?” (Keeno)

 

The two bobbed their heads in confirmation before I stored the big bird in my ring to cook for later before we resumed on our way.

 

Chaos Realm:

Astrea: Papa, what did those birds mean?

Order: We’re going to have words with Fiametta.

Astrea, never, EVER repeat those words, unless it’s to an absolute mongrel.

Order: NO!  Not even then!  You say worse in that instance.

Astrea: Oki!

122